Jerry Gone

aalonsoj

Makes sense...

After thinking about it, why would Ted Phillips fire JA and then hire Ruskell?? Now if JA retired then maybe it would make sense to promote Ruskell.

Update on the score= No one is safe as of now. I guess it said on the Bears website that there would be no more changes, that has now been taken down.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to what I'm reading, Lovie is safe. Based on the results of the last two seasons and what they got out of that O Line, despite injuries and lack of talent, I can say Lovie deserves another year. I know that sentiment isn't generally shared here but it is what it is.

The one thing I don't like about keeping a coach and firing the GM is that the GM doesn't get the right to choose his own coach. I agree with you that Lovie has done the job he needs to do...but that's my one issue with the concept

Not sure I like the Polian idea. It seems to me he just suffered from the same problem we saw with the Bears - being ill-prepared for an injury to the #1 QB. Plus, the recent drafting of the Colts does not fill me with confidence (though I don't know how much was Bill and how much was his son).

One of my buds is a serious Colts fan and he'd agree with you on this. I'd think Polian would be an upgrade over Jerry myself but Polian's drafts, according to my buddy, haven't been very good. When your team loses a QB and you go from Superbowl contender to 2-14, I think the rest of the team is a little suspect. And that's Polian.

We'll see. Historically I've been a big JA defender here but gave that up a few years ago when it became apparent JA and I didn't view the importance of the O Line the same way. He's ignored it for too long for me to be sad to see him go.

Your friend doesn't know much, because Bill Polian has NOT run a draft in Indy the last four years. Now, Polian placed his son in charge of player personnel by giving him the title of GM/VP. That's on him. Not the roster.

Polian is 69 years old, he's closer to retirement than he is running another team. I don't want him, especially if his son is involved who practically ruined the entire franchise with his draft picks. Here's the list of 1st round draft picks in the last 5 years.

2005 29 Marlin Jackson CB Michigan

2006 30 Joseph Addai RB Louisiana State

2007 32 Anthony Gonzalez WR Ohio State

2008 — — No Pick — — [18]

2009 27 Donald Brown RB Connecticut

2010 31 Jerry Hughes DE Texas Christian

2011 22 Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College

None of those guys are standout players and they're ALL 1st rounders! That's horrendous.

The one thing I don't like about keeping a coach and firing the GM is that the GM doesn't get the right to choose his own coach. I agree with you that Lovie has done the job he needs to do...but that's my one issue with the concept

agree that a GM should control his personnel from the start. haven't we already gone the other route WITH angelo and jauron?

in my opinion, i would hope a good gm, if we can land one, would be smart enough to cut lovie loose and bring in a better coach with some stability to this franchise. lovie just is not a coach i see winning a superbowl, or even giving us a chance to win multiple superbowls. plus he is a lame-duck coach that no 'good' assistants would want to touch with a ten foot pole.

jeff fisher or bill cowher work for me for coaching choices. i would also like to see someone like tuna come in and replace ted phillips and given the reins to hire a GM.

I wanted Cowher a couple of years ago but at what point is he not even going to be looked at as a candidate anymore? How long has he been out of the league now? 5-6 years? Jeff Fischer is nice but he really hasn't been any more successful than Lovie has during his tenure with Tennessee. Just one Super bowl appearance and alot of mediocrity after that. I'm not a Lovie Smith fan but I don't know if there is a guy out there now that I can definitely say is a clear upgrade over him. Maybe Gruden? He might be the only guy right now that I can think of but I'm blacking out on names.

Polian is 69 years old, he's closer to retirement than he is running another team. I don't want him, especially if his son is involved who practically ruined the entire franchise with his draft picks. Here's the list of 1st round draft picks in the last 5 years.

2005 29 Marlin Jackson CB Michigan

2006 30 Joseph Addai RB Louisiana State

2007 32 Anthony Gonzalez WR Ohio State

2008 — — No Pick — — [18]

2009 27 Donald Brown RB Connecticut

2010 31 Jerry Hughes DE Texas Christian

2011 22 Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College

None of those guys are standout players and they're ALL 1st rounders! That's horrendous.

I don't know if that's the entire picture. His son didn't become GM until 2009. Also, you left out the following Polian picks:

98 - Peyton Manning

99 - Edgerrin James

00 - Rob Morris

01 - Reggie Wayne

02 - Dwight Freeney

03 - Dallas Clark

04 - Bob Sanders

Aside from 2000, that's a first round stud in every draft. Manning, Wayne, Freeney, and Clark probably go to the Hall of Fame. James might have if not for injuries and a horrible decision to go to Arizona. Bob Sanders has the talent but not the health. That's 7 good ones out of 8 picks. Factor in 2 out of 6 from the above selections (the two, right now, are Brown and Castonzo), and you have 9 out of 14. Pretty good in my book, even if he is in a slump.

I don't know if that's the entire picture. His son didn't become GM until 2009. Also, you left out the following Polian picks:

98 - Peyton Manning

99 - Edgerrin James

00 - Rob Morris

01 - Reggie Wayne

02 - Dwight Freeney

03 - Dallas Clark

04 - Bob Sanders

Aside from 2000, that's a first round stud in every draft. Manning, Wayne, Freeney, and Clark probably go to the Hall of Fame. James might have if not for injuries and a horrible decision to go to Arizona. Bob Sanders has the talent but not the health. That's 7 good ones out of 8 picks. Factor in 2 out of 6 from the above selections (the two, right now, are Brown and Castonzo), and you have 9 out of 14. Pretty good in my book, even if he is in a slump.

Yeah but that's drafts beyond the last 5 years. He had an excellent run for a while but then him and his son started to suck and suck alot from 2005-on. It's a "What have you done for me lately" league and lately he's been pretty bad.

I just don't want to end with only Angelo. I do not think CPA Ted should still be in charge of this team and getting someone like Polian is better than what we have and maybe this guy McKenzie with the hated Cheese Heads maybe just what we need. I like the speculation of getting Cowher in here or maybe get Gruden since he wants to leave the booth any how. Good day to start the New Year on and it may become a great New Year if the Turk keeps coming around.

98 - Peyton Manning

99 - Edgerrin James

00 - Rob Morris

01 - Reggie Wayne

02 - Dwight Freeney

03 - Dallas Clark

04 - Bob Sanders

Yeah, that's Manning over Leaf, ding. James over Ricky, ding ding. Reggie Wayne when thay already had Harrison. Dwight Freeney was picked way too early according to Kiper. What about Dallas Clark and Robert Mathis?? The only knock on Polian is he seems to have to rebuild the D every year due to losses in Free Agency. The Offensive payroll far outweighs the D.

Polian passed the torch to his son for three reasons:

1) Take on job as President and I think CEO of the Colts.

2) Promote sons' carreer, by getting out of the spotlight.

3) Actually take a less intensive "hands off" job by taking a promotion.

That being said, even at 69, the Bears have not seen the likes of Polian since Jim Finks.(before that, Papa Bear) How many HOFers and All Pro's has he drafted? How many Superbowl teams?(6) I'll take the energy of an old man who feels he has something to prove. If he doesn't, he won't apply...

I wanted Cowher a couple of years ago but at what point is he not even going to be looked at as a candidate anymore? How long has he been out of the league now? 5-6 years? Jeff Fischer is nice but he really hasn't been any more successful than Lovie has during his tenure with Tennessee. Just one Super bowl appearance and alot of mediocrity after that. I'm not a Lovie Smith fan but I don't know if there is a guy out there now that I can definitely say is a clear upgrade over him. Maybe Gruden? He might be the only guy right now that I can think of but I'm blacking out on names.

cowher is still in the mix.

jeff fisher is to me one of the better coaches in the nfl. he can actually COACH players to be better players. he can put together a good staff of assistants. his problem to me has been the owner/gm of the titans giving him garbage to work with and yet he still is competitive in one of the toughest division in the NFL while he was coach.

so yea, i take fisher in a new york minute over lovie. same goes with cowher.

Your friend doesn't know much, because Bill Polian has NOT run a draft in Indy the last four years. Now, Polian placed his son in charge of player personnel by giving him the title of GM/VP. That's on him. Not the roster.

The guy in charge is still named Polian. And I'm certain the Polian Team was involved in every personnel move that was made.

Jerry Angelo's 11 year stint in Chicago wasn't a failure by any means. I wish him the very best moving forward, but am not all that sad to see him go. However, I will miss him as I felt he was a classy guy. We can't forget the previous 10 years before Angelo got here....here are a few reasons to keep Jerry/few reasons to fire. These are very general so "Bear" with me.

Why to keep Jerry:

*The Bears took down 4 division titles and made a super bowl with some exciting play through the years under Angelo. They've been a good football team overall under Angelo as I've appreciated they've kept the Bear brand in being great on defense and attempting to slug it out on offense.

*He inherited Hatley's team. While he inherited a future pro-bowler in Urlacher...this was still a team built around the contracts of Cade McNown (Cade was gone, but they owed him coin) and Phillip Daniels that by fluke went 13-3 with a perfect storm of a Ted Washington/Keith Traylor in front of Urlacher with healthy Rosey Colvin/Warrick Holdman/Mike Brown flying around making plays. What everyone couldn't have known was that team needed to be rebuilt. If Angelo would have made sweeping changes and fired Dick Jauron (who he also inherited) people would have called for his head. This situation set Angelo back a year or two at least in his start to rebuilding the Bears.

*Before the injury to Cutler/Forte...the Bears may have very well been the 2nd best team in the NFL this season. If everything would have been brought back next season with a tweak here and there....the Bears could have challenged the Packers. I'm not sure you could ask for more out of any GM or team.

*He got Jay Cutler. For the first time ever as a Bears fan- I know the Bears have a franchise QB for the next 7 plus years they can build around.

*He created an organization that was able to walk a FA like Julius Peppers to Chicago. There were plenty of teams willing to pay what the Bears did to get Peppers...but Angelo created an organization led by Lovie and others that could convince Peppers to put the C on his helmet. This can't be understated at all moving forward as the Bears organization is very well respected throughout the NFL.

Why to fire Jerry:

*When the Bears lost the '04 season because Rex got hurt.......Angelo absolutely could not allow that to happen again. If there was ever an example to show a GM that can't happen...'04 was it. Unfortunately, it happened again this year when Cut went down. This was inexcusable to allow on Angelo's behalf and he had to be held accountable.

*What Jerry accomplished as GM in Chicago had a lot to do with Brian Urlacher who he inherited. Angelo had the pleasure to witness first hand of what it looks like when the defense is built around Urlacher in having big bodies in front of him and allowed to make every play. 2001 was as good of a season as we'll ever see a MLB have....yet Angelo decided to build around Urlacher in a Cover 2. Instead of Urlacher attacking side line to side line and keeping blockers off of him in the 4-3/Nickel defenses Jauron ran....Urlacher has had smaller DTs in front of him who get up the field while Urlacher drops into coverage. I'm not saying Angelo failed Urlacher in this regard, but he could have done Urlacher more of a service. Urlacher would have succeeded in any system, under any coach....I can't give Angelo too much credit for Urlacher's success in regards to Urlacher. If Angelo perhaps would have given into Nick Saban a bit more into what Saban wanted---that could have been scary what Saban could have done for Urlacher.

*Angelo failed to draft a franchise player. Bottom line. He traded for Culter (which was great) but it cost us multiple 1st Round Picks to do it. Angelo never drafted a Peppers type to put next to Urlacher....he had to sign him to a boat load of money (which was also great). Angelo hit a few home runs in Tommie Harris, Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman to put next to Urlacher.......but he never hit a grand slam. He had 10 drafts to do it, but failed to do so.

*I believe the Sam Hurd fiasco mattered. Say what you will....but if you believe it didn't matter...it still should have.

In regards to the Bears deciding to keep Lovie while firing Jerry Angelo is an absolute mistake. I believe Lovie should be back as it isn't his fault Cut/Forte went down totally screwing his offense. Lovie has done a great job these past two years in coaching this football team and should be brought back. With that being the case- Angelo should be back as well as Lovie and Jerry have continuity in what they're trying to do.

If either guy has to go- the other should go. If either has to stay- the other should stay.

We want our new GM to be able to hire HIS guy and not live with someone else's. Let us not forget Angelo was forced to keep Jauron and how that potentially set back Angelo's rebuilding process. We shouldn't do that to our next GM.

Jerry Angelo's 11 year stint in Chicago wasn't a failure by any means. I wish him the very best moving forward, but am not all that sad to see him go. However, I will miss him as I felt he was a classy guy. We can't forget the previous 10 years before Angelo got here....here are a few reasons to keep Jerry/few reasons to fire. These are very general so "Bear" with me.

Why to keep Jerry:

*The Bears took down 4 division titles and made a super bowl with some exciting play through the years under Angelo. They've been a good football team overall under Angelo as I've appreciated they've kept the Bear brand in being great on defense and attempting to slug it out on offense.

*He inherited Hatley's team. While he inherited a future pro-bowler in Urlacher...this was still a team built around the contracts of Cade McNown (Cade was gone, but they owed him coin) and Phillip Daniels that by fluke went 13-3 with a perfect storm of a Ted Washington/Keith Traylor in front of Urlacher with healthy Rosey Colvin/Warrick Holdman/Mike Brown flying around making plays. What everyone couldn't have known was that team needed to be rebuilt. If Angelo would have made sweeping changes and fired Dick Jauron (who he also inherited) people would have called for his head. This situation set Angelo back a year or two at least in his start to rebuilding the Bears.

*Before the injury to Cutler/Forte...the Bears may have very well been the 2nd best team in the NFL this season. If everything would have been brought back next season with a tweak here and there....the Bears could have challenged the Packers. I'm not sure you could ask for more out of any GM or team.

*He got Jay Cutler. For the first time ever as a Bears fan- I know the Bears have a franchise QB for the next 7 plus years they can build around.

*He created an organization that was able to walk a FA like Julius Peppers to Chicago. There were plenty of teams willing to pay what the Bears did to get Peppers...but Angelo created an organization led by Lovie and others that could convince Peppers to put the C on his helmet. This can't be understated at all moving forward as the Bears organization is very well respected throughout the NFL.

Why to fire Jerry:

*When the Bears lost the '04 season because Rex got hurt.......Angelo absolutely could not allow that to happen again. If there was ever an example to show a GM that can't happen...'04 was it. Unfortunately, it happened again this year when Cut went down. This was inexcusable to allow on Angelo's behalf and he had to be held accountable.

*What Jerry accomplished as GM in Chicago had a lot to do with Brian Urlacher who he inherited. Angelo had the pleasure to witness first hand of what it looks like when the defense is built around Urlacher in having big bodies in front of him and allowed to make every play. 2001 was as good of a season as we'll ever see a MLB have....yet Angelo decided to build around Urlacher in a Cover 2. Instead of Urlacher attacking side line to side line and keeping blockers off of him in the 4-3/Nickel defenses Jauron ran....Urlacher has had smaller DTs in front of him who get up the field while Urlacher drops into coverage. I'm not saying Angelo failed Urlacher in this regard, but he could have done Urlacher more of a service. Urlacher would have succeeded in any system, under any coach....I can't give Angelo too much credit for Urlacher's success in regards to Urlacher. If Angelo perhaps would have given into Nick Saban a bit more into what Saban wanted---that could have been scary what Saban could have done for Urlacher.

*Angelo failed to draft a franchise player. Bottom line. He traded for Culter (which was great) but it cost us multiple 1st Round Picks to do it. Angelo never drafted a Peppers type to put next to Urlacher....he had to sign him to a boat load of money (which was also great). Angelo hit a few home runs in Tommie Harris, Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman to put next to Urlacher.......but he never hit a grand slam. He had 10 drafts to do it, but failed to do so.

*I believe the Sam Hurd fiasco mattered. Say what you will....but if you believe it didn't matter...it still should have.

In regards to the Bears deciding to keep Lovie while firing Jerry Angelo is an absolute mistake. I believe Lovie should be back as it isn't his fault Cut/Forte went down totally screwing his offense. Lovie has done a great job these past two years in coaching this football team and should be brought back. With that being the case- Angelo should be back as well as Lovie and Jerry have continuity in what they're trying to do.

If either guy has to go- the other should go. If either has to stay- the other should stay.

We want our new GM to be able to hire HIS guy and not live with someone else's. Let us not forget Angelo was forced to keep Jauron and how that potentially set back Angelo's rebuilding process. We shouldn't do that to our next GM.

In a perfect world the GM has the right to hire the coach but again this is the McCaskey/Halas world where at any moment the one in charge will swoop in and take control. Lets go back to when Jim Finks was the GM. This was a proven HOF GM and he was assembling some decent talent on this team when all of a sudden in 82 O'l Papa Bear out of nowhere named Buddy Ryan the defensive coordinator and then hired Mike Ditka as Head Coach. That is just as bad as what happened with Jauron and now with Lovie. Finks left after making the best draft of his tenure in 83 ( Covert,Gault,Thayer,Bortz,Duerson,Dent and Gayle), to be the Cubs president for a year and then went and rebuilt the Saints with Jim Mora. Jerry Vanisi then assumed the helm and made the Wilbur Marshall and Fridge picks then he was fired and Mikey started to put his hands all over the team with Bill Tobin assisting along with Rod Graves.After a series of odd decisions from giving the keys to the car to Wannie and then the Dave McGinnis hiring fiasco Virginia swooped in and banished Mike to his room and then Hatley was charged with trying to hire a coach after being a personnel man and scout most of his career. So we end up with Jauron not the first choice for coach. JA gets hired and he first pursues Nick Saban and settles for Lovie not his first choice for coach. Watching how he dismantled some of Jauron's roster for his personal style of player sent red flags up to me that he had a hidden agenda.When he was ready to put his plan in place and he couldn't get the guy he wanted that sent red flags up.Then you factor in all the failed draft picks and FA signings and there is no way he could continue on. The fact that this coach has a winning record with the bad personnel moves speaks to how he can con(motivate) the players into playing hard for him. He actually won a game with nothing on the line at the end of a disasterous season with a street FA at QB.I reluctantly say Lovie deserves a shot at finishing his contract but, if the potential hire wants to do hhis own deal then what?