Tice to be OC

aalonsoj

Bears Promote Mike Tice To Offensive Coordinator

The Chicago Bears have promoted offensive line coach Mike Tice to offensive coordinator, Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports.

Though Tice has head coaching experience in the NFL, he has never been a coordinator. An opportunity to coordinate the Tennessee Titans was blocked by the Bears last offseason.

To account for a lack of experience at this position, Glazer adds that Tice will manage the running game and will be paired with a passing game coordinator, a situation occurred with the Arizona Cardinals, who had Russ Grimm coordinate the running game and Matt Miller run the passing game.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012/01/be...-offensive.html

Going to be a wasted year and then the new GM will bring in his own people the year after. Keeping Lovie appears to be a financial move.

Welcome board!

Bears Promote Mike Tice To Offensive Coordinator

The Chicago Bears have promoted offensive line coach Mike Tice to offensive coordinator, Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports.

Though Tice has head coaching experience in the NFL, he has never been a coordinator. An opportunity to coordinate the Tennessee Titans was blocked by the Bears last offseason.

To account for a lack of experience at this position, Glazer adds that Tice will manage the running game and will be paired with a passing game coordinator, a situation occurred with the Arizona Cardinals, who had Russ Grimm coordinate the running game and Matt Miller run the passing game.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012/01/be...-offensive.html

Going to be a wasted year and then the new GM will bring in his own people the year after. Keeping Lovie appears to be a financial move.

This team has no idea how to play to Cutler's strengths its just sickening. Doubly bad news to start off my morning. Decosta out, and now what I feared most of Mike Tice being our OC.. This has all the makings of disaster when you are putting basically two guys in position of OC. Who the hell has ever heard of a "Run game coordinator" and a "Passing coordinator". This just reeks of utter failure.

Why don't they just come out and call Lovie Coach/GM. Pathetic.

He pretty much is. He's interviewing the candidates along with Teddy, who the GM is suppose to report to even though he knows nothing about the game of football. Then Teddy gets to report to George even though anything Ted wants is going to happen because Georges family supports whatever that guy wants to do. Lovie is basically the GM here while Ted is the owner.

This team has no idea how to play to Cutler's strengths its just sickening. Doubly bad news to start off my morning. Decosta out, and now what I feared most of Mike Tice being our OC.. This has all the makings of disaster when you are putting basically two guys in position of OC. Who the hell has ever heard of a "Run game coordinator" and a "Passing coordinator". This just reeks of utter failure.

Tice is a perfectly fine hire and makes a ton of sense. Bears will be able to play a little bit more to Cutler's strengths and he'll have more input yet they wont' be entirely overhauling the offense. I expect Bates to be brought in as the Passing Coordintor. I could be wrong.

I'm also very curious to see who Tice brings in as the Oline coach.

Isn't a GM suppose to be doing these kind of signings? I mean really? You are looking to get a new GM and you hire the coaching staff BEFORE the GM? Isn't that badwards thinking? Man and I thought Mike McCaskey was a moron.

Usually the coach hires his assistants. There is input from the GM but the coach almost always has the final say in hiring his assistants.

They are saying that the Bears will bring in Jeremy Bates as the passing game coordinator. I remember that they were trying to interview him for the OC because he was with the Broncos when Jay was there.

As soon as I saw they hired Tice I figured this would be the case. If it is true, I'm really happy about this. Tice is a very good coach and earned an opportunity to be an OC and having Bates in who knows Jay and has an idea of how to coach Jay up to his strenghts and I think we have a pretty good set of minds there. I am curious to see how it will work having two guys involved but as long as it is clear that Tice calls the shots and as long as Cutler is comfortable, I'm okay.

I think it is huge because I see Tice having the courage to at times tell Cutler no, which is important. But it will be nice to have Cutler being able to audible at the line of scrimmage and I fully expect we'll see a lot more designed roll-outs. I think (although I can't confirm) that Tice was pretty involved in the change in play-calling during Cutlers very successful 5 week stretch this year.

As soon as I saw they hired Tice I figured this would be the case. If it is true, I'm really happy about this. Tice is a very good coach and earned an opportunity to be an OC and having Bates in who knows Jay and has an idea of how to coach Jay up to his strenghts and I think we have a pretty good set of minds there. I am curious to see how it will work having two guys involved but as long as it is clear that Tice calls the shots and as long as Cutler is comfortable, I'm okay.

I think it is huge because I see Tice having the courage to at times tell Cutler no, which is important. But it will be nice to have Cutler being able to audible at the line of scrimmage and I fully expect we'll see a lot more designed roll-outs. I think (although I can't confirm) that Tice was pretty involved in the change in play-calling during Cutlers very successful 5 week stretch this year.

That combo might be an interesting two headed monster. I like the fact they are going to focus on running the ball and throw off the play action fake. The line is pretty big and with a few key additions they could be really good in that kind of system.

I can live with Tice and Bates doing a combo OC job with Tice the head man in charge.

That combo might be an interested two headed monster. I like the fact they are going to focus on running the ball and throw off the play action fake. The line is pretty big and with a few key additions they could be really good in that kind of system.

The Bears now need to add an LT and WR. I could support a guard too but I'm a realist and I can't see them getting a wideout, LT, and guard (two of which would have to cost big money via FA), especially when you also have a need at DE and in the draft the Bears have to start looking at CB and LB.

I think if I were the Bears. I'd sign the DE/WR in FA. I'd than draft:

1. LT

2. Best available CB or OG (Or Best available, this could include DE/DT/LB/OG)

3. Whatever you didn't take above (or if you rate a LB/DT better, go with it)

4. Continue on this path

Cutler supposedly has recommended the Titans QB coach. Supposedly a young up and comer. Lovie has asked for permission to interview him but no one thinks they will grant the Bears permission.

A lot of talk Bears would also be interested in hiring Koetter (Jacksonville) who is expected to be fired when a new coach comes in. Atlanta wants to hire Koetter as well.

Both would be exceptional hires, but sound unlikely, which probably puts Bates as the most likely hire.

Oline coach: Andy Heck? I have seen a couple posts on other forums suggesting this.

Depending on who is the new GM do we really think that he is going to do everything possible to help Lovie win? If we would have hired the Eric DeCosta from the Ravens wouldn't he want to hire someone to run a 3-4 defense since that is something Eric would be comfortable with? I know that Eric is going to stay with the Ravens, but a GM would want to bring in his own people that believe in his system. If Lovie and the Bears win next year it would be unpopular to fire him.

I have it in my mind that next year will be our last run at it and after that the Bears will restock/rebuilt.

The Bears now need to add an LT and WR. I could support a guard too but I'm a realist and I can't see them getting a wideout, LT, and guard (two of which would have to cost big money via FA), especially when you also have a need at DE and in the draft the Bears have to start looking at CB and LB.

I think if I were the Bears. I'd sign the DE/WR in FA. I'd than draft:

1. LT

2. Best available CB or OG (Or Best available, this could include DE/DT/LB/OG)

3. Whatever you didn't take above (or if you rate a LB/DT better, go with it)

4. Continue on this path

I think considering the situation, this was going to happen. Nobody with any flair would come in to a situation when a new GM, having a lame duck coach, and doing what someone else wants. I think Tice is his own man and will carry more weight as a OC, so he will get the OL fixed in the draft and FAgency. His teams at Minn were passing teams, or more so balanced teams. I think Lovie will take what direction Tice wants, since he will push for a strong running game and knows the valve of the pass.

For the most part HC's pick their own coachs and coordinators so its not that big a deal. Keeping Lovie is, but this doesnt make it THAT much worse for a new GM.

Also, I know he wasnt calling the plays but when Tice was HC in Minnesota in 2004 Culpepper threw for 4700 yards, 39 tds, 11 ints and 69% comp and the leading rusher on the team was Onterrio Smith with less then 600 yards. Moss also wasnt the leading WR either. So I dont think we have to worry about turning into an exclusive run team.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2004.htm