Bears Targeting Seven Players at #19

dawhizz

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,6270139.story

So, I'm thinking:

Floyd

Mercilus

Coples

Then who? Probably at least one DT (Brockers probably). Other DEs probably, but would it be: Ingram? McClellin? OT? I wonder if guys like DeCastro or Kuechly might be on their board (I would assume not, since they are unlikely to be available). Maybe Kirkpatrick?

Guess we'll find out in a couple days . . .

My guess

Floyd

Mercilus

Jones

Coples

Gilmore

Ingram

Brockers

Interesting after listening to Emery's press conference today, his draft approach, in terms of how he values each player in the round that they are drafted in is,

Rounds 1-2 = players that can start for your team right away; guys that will contribute immediately

Rounds 3-4 = players that will fill specific roles for your team that will allow them to contribute maybe as a kick returner or some other role (3rd down pass rusher, Nickel corner, rotational DT, 3rd down RB,)etc..

Rounds 5-7 = players with the highest measurables that have a high ceiling. Backups. Guys that may need some work on their football skills but have the athletic ability to excel if given the adequate time to develop.

So, I'm thinking:

Floyd

Mercilus

Coples

Then who? Probably at least one DT (Brockers probably). Other DEs probably, but would it be: Ingram? McClellin? OT? I wonder if guys like DeCastro or Kuechly might be on their board (I would assume not, since they are unlikely to be available). Maybe Kirkpatrick?

When I read the title of the thread, before I read the responses, I was pissed thinking Emery actually listed the 7 players he was looking at with our #1 pick. I liked the fact he had been secretive in regards to off season moves and the draft. Thank God he is keeping his word. Very interesting, looks like he is open to all options.

I'm pretty sure this would be the list, based on what has been published in terms of Bear's interests:

Coples

Floyd

Mercilus

Glenn

Perry

Brockers

Wright

I doubt they think DeCastro or Kuchley will be there, so they aren't on the list. I'm betting they were more interested in Stephen Hill as a second rounder (which is unlikely now).

If that is the case, the odds of one of the seven being there is pretty high. So I assume we would keep the pick if one was available, and would even trade down if a couple were available. I still don't see us trading up unless someone completely unexpected drops, like Blackmon or Claiborne.

If that is the case, the odds of one of the seven being there is pretty high. So I assume we would keep the pick if one was available, and would even trade down if a couple were available. I still don't see us trading up unless someone completely unexpected drops, like Blackmon or Claiborne.

IMHO we need to keep the picks by not trading up. Now if we can trade down and get more picks then I'm all for that. We need to hit on four picks this year in the draft to be a real force in the NFC North and the NFL as a whole. WE need to get another big WR to take some pressure off Marshall and create more mismatches. We need two D linemen one DT and one DE to create a pass rush to free up Peppers to do his thing. And we really need an OT to keep Cutler upright and throwing. Those are the four spots we really need, now you can also make a case for CB, LB and FS/SS but those will more than likely be addressed in the later rounds.

I see Chandler Jones rising way up the boards on many sites, Mayock now has him as the #9 prospect overall which I think is crazy. After watching his highlights against WVU and Pitt he's a good player but reminds me of Alex Brown. Not all that special athletically but can make some plays for you and he hustles to the ball. He's likely a better all-around DE at this point than guys like Mercilus or Perry but I view both of those guys as better pass rushers. I want a excellent pass rusher in this draft.

I see Chandler Jones rising way up the boards on many sites, Mayock now has him as the #9 prospect overall which I think is crazy. After watching his highlights against WVU and Pitt he's a good player but reminds me of Alex Brown. Not all that special athletically but can make some plays for you and he hustles to the ball. He's likely a better all-around DE at this point than guys like Mercilus or Perry but I view both of those guys as better pass rushers. I want a excellent pass rusher in this draft.

What I never get is the scouts view all this tape all year and rate players and then some run faster and jump higher and then all of a sudden they are great prospects. I think once in a while you get a good player out of the combine stuff but usually they turn out busts or not the valve where you draft them.

So, I'm thinking:

Floyd

Mercilus

Coples

Shouldn't he have 19 players he's targetting with the 19th pick? If those 7 are gone by the time we pick are we just screwed? I assume they've figured for that. I'm just saying.

I'm sure they do. But I take the comment to mean that they have 7 guys they feel may reasonably be available when the 19th pick comes up.

Shouldn't he have 19 players he's targetting with the 19th pick? If those 7 are gone by the time we pick are we just screwed? I assume they've figured for that. I'm just saying.

OK, so we know the Bears are targeting 7 picks, and they pick 19th - that means 12 are out.

You gotta feel really strongly that those 12 will be gone way before your pick, so I'm gonna say they identified 12 players that would be gone by pick #15 consensus. So first let's throw out those 12 players. I'm only able to find 11 for sure, so I'll make sure my target list is at least 8.

Top QBs and RB are easy, cuz we're not looking for them, and they'll be gone early.

1 QB Andrew Luck

2 QB Robert Griffin

3 RB Trent Richardson

4 QB Ryan Tannehill

Then there's 4 more guys we might like to have, but will be long gone. And hey, if we're wrong, and they're still there, it'd be an easy situation to be in.

5 OT Matt Kalil

6 DB Morris Claiborne

7 WR Justin Blackmon

8 DE Melvin Ingram

So that's an easy 8 off the list of targets.

I identified 3 more that will be gone by pick #15 and who don't fit our needs.

9 OG David DeCastro - we have plenty of interior OL

10 DT Dontari Poe - is a big space eater 2 gap style DT and not suited to our "Cover 2" one gap system

11 LB Courtney Upshaw - is a beast, and it wouldn't suck to have him fall to us, but he won;t and he's not a position of need.

that would leave a list of at least 8 players we're targeting for the 19th pick. If any players not on these lists is picked before we do, assuring more than one of these players will be available a few slots lower, we might trade down.

1 OT Riley Reiff - a stud on OL will also be long gone

2 LB Luke Kuechly - Urlacher's replacement? He won't be there, maybe he's the 12th not targeted. If he fell it'd be interesting

Here's where our likely picks start

3 DE Quinton Coples

4 WR Michael Floyd

5 S Mark Barron - maybe not a position of need, so he might be the 12th not targeted

6 DT Fletcher Cox

7 DT Michael Brockers

8 DE Whitney Mercilus

It looks to me like Coples, Floyd, Cox, Brockers or Mercilus will be our pick so don;'t be surprised if its a DT instead of a DE. Remember Lovie always says it takes a DT to make the "cover 2" work. All this DE talk is possibly a smokescreen for Cox, and if things fall the right way, we could nab Floyd.

So the big question is who do the Bears NOT covet and not target, Kuechly or Barron?

Nightmare scenario: Tannehill slides, and we can't find a trade and take DT Derek Wolfe or one of the other CBs.

Sleepers: OT Jonathan Martin, OT Mike Adams, DT Derek Wolfe

I think there are 7 players they want that might be there at that valve, but someone could drop they thought they would never get or someone with a lesser valve that they might like. I now think even if Floyd drops they arent considering a WR with the 19 pick. I was listening to the SCORE with Hub(of which some dont like but I think he is pretty sharp) and he was saying they really like Ingram and Rieff and dont think either will be there, but would pick in a second if they fell and that WR is not considered a prime for the #19 pick.

I think there are 7 players they want that might be there at that valve, but someone could drop they thought they would never get or someone with a lesser valve that they might like. I now think even if Floyd drops they arent considering a WR with the 19 pick. I was listening to the SCORE with Hub(of which some dont like but I think he is pretty sharp) and he was saying they really like Ingram and Rieff and dont think either will be there, but would pick in a second if they fell and that WR is not considered a prime for the #19 pick.

There may also be a "if someone like Floyd is available at 19, we can expect to be able to move down a few slots while a team aggressively moves up to grab that particular player, even if he's not a match for us" built in to picking out those 7.

OK, so we know the Bears are targeting 7 picks, and they pick 19th - that means 12 are out.

You gotta feel really strongly that those 12 will be gone way before your pick, so I'm gonna say they identified 12 players that would be gone by pick #15 consensus. So first let's throw out those 12 players. I'm only able to find 11 for sure, so I'll make sure my target list is at least 8.

Top QBs and RB are easy, cuz we're not looking for them, and they'll be gone early.

1 QB Andrew Luck

2 QB Robert Griffin

3 RB Trent Richardson

4 QB Ryan Tannehill

Then there's 4 more guys we might like to have, but will be long gone. And hey, if we're wrong, and they're still there, it'd be an easy situation to be in.

5 OT Matt Kalil

6 DB Morris Claiborne

7 WR Justin Blackmon

8 DE Melvin Ingram

So that's an easy 8 off the list of targets.

I identified 3 more that will be gone by pick #15 and who don't fit our needs.

9 OG David DeCastro - we have plenty of interior OL

10 DT Dontari Poe - is a big space eater 2 gap style DT and not suited to our "Cover 2" one gap system

11 LB Courtney Upshaw - is a beast, and it wouldn't suck to have him fall to us, but he won;t and he's not a position of need.

that would leave a list of at least 8 players we're targeting for the 19th pick. If any players not on these lists is picked before we do, assuring more than one of these players will be available a few slots lower, we might trade down.

1 OT Riley Reiff - a stud on OL will also be long gone

2 LB Luke Kuechly - Urlacher's replacement? He won't be there, maybe he's the 12th not targeted. If he fell it'd be interesting

Here's where our likely picks start

3 DE Quinton Coples

4 WR Michael Floyd

5 S Mark Barron - maybe not a position of need, so he might be the 12th not targeted

6 DT Fletcher Cox

7 DT Michael Brockers

8 DE Whitney Mercilus

It looks to me like Coples, Floyd, Cox, Brockers or Mercilus will be our pick so don;'t be surprised if its a DT instead of a DE. Remember Lovie always says it takes a DT to make the "cover 2" work. All this DE talk is possibly a smokescreen for Cox, and if things fall the right way, we could nab Floyd.

So the big question is who do the Bears NOT covet and not target, Kuechly or Barron?

Nightmare scenario: Tannehill slides, and we can't find a trade and take DT Derek Wolfe or one of the other CBs.

Sleepers: OT Jonathan Martin, OT Mike Adams, DT Derek Wolfe

Upshaw is a scheme fit. He can bullrush at DE and can play some OLB. If the Bears liked Kamerion Wimbley, they like Upshaw. They're practically the same guy.

As for Wolfe, yuck. He's a 3-4 DE.

I agree re: Wolfe, I was just saying, if things went REALLY poorly, he'd be the next DL down.

I'm hoping for Cox or Brockers, myself. But if they think that one of the OLT is worthy, I'd be cool with that too.

Upshaw is a scheme fit. He can bullrush at DE and can play some OLB. If the Bears liked Kamerion Wimbley, they like Upshaw. They're practically the same guy.

As for Wolfe, yuck. He's a 3-4 DE.

If Upshaw fell to us, I'd crap. People say he's a tweener, but I've seen smaller DE's on this team. Dude is a beast!