Jay Cutler vs Paparazzi

adam

Respectful? I don't think you understand the situation. Those recent pictures aren't in LA. They are in Chicago outside Cutler's home. It's not like Cutler is walking down a street in LA and someone is taking pictures of whatever celebrity happens to walk past. They are actually stalking him. I am shocked that you would call for any form of respect for an industry that was directly responsible for the death of Princess Diana. They are out of control and deserve derision - and flipping the bastard off is completely appropriate - if not called for - in my opinion. They don't deserve respect. Period.

I agree with Daventry, and disagree with you, on this one. Cutler may not like it. Celebrities may not like it. But the fact remains that they get paid ridiculous sums of money because people idolize, love, and want to know everything about the richest celebrities and athletes in the world. Marry up a celebrity and athlete and the stakes get higher. Where does this news come from? How do the pictures get taken? What other possible way does the void get filled? The simple answer is, it doesn't.

It's part of being a famous and filthy rich celebrity or athlete. Don't like it? Get a job at Wendy's. One can't crave the spotlight while simultaneously shunning attention.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutler has the potential to be a great QB. Period. I couldn't care less if this photographer thinks his being flipped the bird is classy or not. It isn't. But being faced with these jerks 24/7 has to get to you. Sean Penn, an otherwise pretty great guy, went after one of these paprazzi. They say and do things to get a rise out of the celebrities, they don't just follow them silently (which would be annoying enough.)

Cutler isn't doing drugs, involved in shootings, etc. He flipped an asshole the bird. Big deal!

I agree with Daventry, and disagree with you, on this one. Cutler may not like it. Celebrities may not like it. But the fact remains that they get paid ridiculous sums of money because people idolize, love, and want to know everything about the richest celebrities and athletes in the world. Marry up a celebrity and athlete and the stakes get higher. Where does this news come from? How do the pictures get taken? What other possible way does the void get filled? The simple answer is, it doesn't.

It's part of being a famous and filthy rich celebrity or athlete. Don't like it? Get a job at Wendy's. One can't crave the spotlight while simultaneously shunning attention.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with me about. Is it that these scum that file lawsuits when their foot gets run over while attempting to take pictures of celebrities in their cars as if they have a right to impede traffic, don't deserve our derision? Or is it that Cutler wasn't completely within his rights and morally justified in flipping the guy off? Or both?

I understand that these scumbags exist and will exist as long as there is a market for their product, but that doesn't mean that I should like it or that I shouldn't applaud when someone shows them the disrespect they so richly deserve.

I think that the police should arrest these bastards for loitering in a private neighborhood. If there was some creepy bastard with a camera hanging around my neighborhood, I would want them gone ASAFP. In fact, if it was my neighborhood, the guy would get a visit from several large men in ski masks with baseball bats.

Cutler has the potential to be a great QB. Period. I couldn't care less if this photographer thinks his being flipped the bird is classy or not. It isn't. But being faced with these jerks 24/7 has to get to you. Sean Penn, an otherwise pretty great guy, went after one of these paprazzi. They say and do things to get a rise out of the celebrities, they don't just follow them silently (which would be annoying enough.)

Cutler isn't doing drugs, involved in shootings, etc. He flipped an asshole the bird. Big deal!

Bingo.

Ah, the fun of morality and ethics debates during a slow news cycle...

IMO, it's hard to find fault in someone demanding some basic class out of our players. Did Cutler ask himself What Would Tebow Do? I think LT2_3's reasoning that Cutler maybe has some natural sourpuss face is very astute and possible to some extent, but it can't explain the degree to which apathy and negativity get expressed from the guy...nice try though. I'm not one of those who has a problem with it, btw. Cutler is hardly a thug.

But while Cutler flipped the bird publicly, it was the photographer that made sure hundreds of thousands saw it, and it wouldn't have happened without the photographer's influence. I'm on the anti-paparrazi side of this argument in the end, and I think we should let this tiny incident be what it is and not make it into something more because of our perceptions about Jay's personality and history. I also think that any celebrity who has the balls to not treat the paparrazi lifestyle as acceptable and something we all should get used to should be celebrated. These celebreties who 'play nice' in hopes the paps will get their photos and leave...they only prop the whole thing up.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with me about. Is it that these scum that file lawsuits when their foot gets run over while attempting to take pictures of celebrities in their cars as if they have a right to impede traffic, don't deserve our derision? Or is it that Cutler wasn't completely within his rights and morally justified in flipping the guy off? Or both?

I understand that these scumbags exist and will exist as long as there is a market for their product, but that doesn't mean that I should like it or that I shouldn't applaud when someone shows them the disrespect they so richly deserve.

I think that the police should arrest these bastards for loitering in a private neighborhood. If there was some creepy bastard with a camera hanging around my neighborhood, I would want them gone ASAFP. In fact, if it was my neighborhood, the guy would get a visit from several large men in ski masks with baseball bats.

I'm disagreeing with whether or not Cutler et. al. have a moral justification to flip a photographer when it's the celebrity that causes the photographer, not the other way around. They knew what they were signing up for when they put their John Hancock on the dotted line. And if they didn't realize the price of riches and fame had a few bumps and bruises, then I have even less sympathy for them than I do now (which is already infinitesimal). These people live in fantasy worlds we can only imagine, where nearly everyone around them caters to their needs, gives them freebies at every turn, and there is still the not so minor detail of getting paid millions and millions to either play a game or the oh so difficult task of acting in front of a camera.

The lawsuit stuff I agree with; it's pathetic. But I don't agree with the concept the paparazzi deserve derision. This is simply supply and demand, and they are doing a job like any other. If anything I'd say the athletes and celebrities who live in a utopian bubble, where they expect all the good and none of the bad that results from their status, are the people deserving derision. (proverb: have your cake and eat it too) If I were rich I'd be the happiest and most friendly guy you ever met, and I'd probably know most of the paparazzi people by their first name. Then when their presence truly bugged me because I was having a bad day, or whatever, I'd kindly ask them to just give me a little space today for some really cool shots tomorrow. (proverb: more than one way to skin a cat) If they don't like the spotlight, they have plenty of other options out there, and I'm sure the professional sports and Hollywood ranks will have more than a few people who will gladly fill the absence.

Ah, the fun of morality and ethics debates during a slow news cycle...

IMO, it's hard to find fault in someone demanding some basic class out of our players. Did Cutler ask himself What Would Tebow Do? I think LT2_3's reasoning that Cutler maybe has some natural sourpuss face is very astute and possible to some extent, but it can't explain the degree to which apathy and negativity get expressed from the guy...nice try though. I'm not one of those who has a problem with it, btw. Cutler is hardly a thug.

But while Cutler flipped the bird publicly, it was the photographer that made sure hundreds of thousands saw it, and it wouldn't have happened without the photographer's influence. I'm on the anti-paparrazi side of this argument in the end, and I think we should let this tiny incident be what it is and not make it into something more because of our perceptions about Jay's personality and history. I also think that any celebrity who has the balls to not treat the paparrazi lifestyle as acceptable and something we all should get used to should be celebrated. These celebreties who 'play nice' in hopes the paps will get their photos and leave...they only prop the whole thing up.

The paparazzi vehicle does not drive without the celebrity fuel. You blame the photographer for doing his job - no matter how much you dislike it - but don't really blame Cutler for providing the impetus? If Cutler smiles the entire time or simply ignores the guy, we never see the photos.

I don't care what Cutler did, and I obviously don't care if Cutler is a Boy Scout, but I also don't see how someone in his position can get upset about someone wanting to take his photograph because he is in the position. It's circular logic.

1a. Cutler is a celebrity

1b. Cutler married a celebrity

2. Photographer takes photo of celebrity

3. Cutler gets mad at photographer, whose job is to take photos of celebrities (see steps 1a & 1b)

Can't be famous without fame.

A few things Jason...

a) "it's my job" is never an excuse unto itself. It it's wrong, then quit. If it's right, then don't

b ) celebrities don't all sign on the dotted line to give up all semi-privacy (not being broadcast to millions doesn't exactly meet the standards of "privacy", but I'm sure many celebs would be thrilled to have at least that), so let's not act like they do. Some manipulate the press for their benefit, and for those I'm ambivalent, but Cutler, as you should know, is NOT one of those. He has done shockingly little to pursue product endorsements or to parlay his image into $.

c) I normaly wouldn't give a damn who he married. In fact it would make me angry someone would even bring that up (is nothing sacred?), but in this case, he married a woman who most certainly ingratiated herself into the media to gain fame and make $...and...well, good point. I hadn't thought of that. Let's have some empathy for him though. He may actually be in love with her, and it's a shame then, knowing his personality, that she comes from where she does.

d) I never said I had no blame for Cutler. You read my first parapraph? It's possible for both parties to have blame in an altercation, regardless of how the law ultimately treats it. Cutler flipping the bird in this case qualifies as a tiny incident, IMO, which is exactly what I called it.

e) Simply saying A can't exist without B is not the same as saying A causes B. Now I'll admit I'm assuming the worst case scenario with the paps because it's too often true, but these paparrazi are grown men and women, and they are responsible for what they do, not some celebrity.

Jason - I'm not explaining myself well here. Let me give it another shot.

Not all paparazzi behave badly or deserve our derision. We shouldn't paint them all with a broad brush. Just like there is a difference between speeders when one is going 5 mph over the limit and another 100 mph over the limit.

So, when it comes to paparazzi behavior:

Hanging at the airport to take pictures of celebs getting on/off planes: OK

Hanging outside famous restaurants or nightclubs to take pics of celebs coming/going: OK

Blocking celebs in cars by standing in the way to get more pictures: Bad

Hanging out in residential neighborhoods waiting for 1 celeb to come outside: Bad

Chasing celebs in cars trying to get pictures and causing the death of Princess Diana: Despicable

Now you have already admitted that some of their behavior is wrong. What I'm saying is that a guy hanging out in a residential neighborhood simply to stalk one celebrity couple falls in the inappropriate and creepy category. I guess I'm asking if you think the other people that live on the same street as Cutler deserve privacy, or do you expect them to run indoors anytime Jay or his fiance are on the street if they don't want to be in the background of published photos. What if there are underage children around? Do parents have any rights about photos being taken of their kids? I'm not talking having their faces blurred for publication, I'm talking about the pictures taken at all.

He amongst us who has never flipped anyone off for any reason may criticize one who does! LOL

Wow! Saturday Night Live once showed Walter Mondale flipping the bird during his presidential campaign back in the day and I liked it because it showed the real side of a politician. The QB of the 85 SB Champs mooned a helicopter during Super Bowl week that appeared on the back page of the Sun Times locally and everyone here said it was typical Jimmy Mack.

Does anyone here remember the likes of Bryan Cox who this organization targeted as a free agent after he basically was shown the door in Miami after flipping "FANS" off while leaving the field after a game? Some of the legendary exploits of Ditka and O'Bradivich out on the town are part of the Bears mystic.

So much is made of when these players do something negative in public but, not much is being said of some of the charitable work that Cutler and his fiance' did just last year because thats not sensational journalism.

For someone to make a spectacle of themselves, someone has to be watching. Cutler is under more of a microscope because he's involved with an actress. Quite honestly, I'm surprised that paparazzi followed them out here to Chicago.

Are more people watching Cutler than Brady or Manning?

I think you are being quite prejudiced (as in pre-judging) about this. I (unfortunately) have met people who's facial structure is such that they have a default look on their face like they smell something bad. They aren't in a bad mood necessarily, it's just that their look doesn't change unless something makes them smile. Otherwise, they quite literally, have a sourpuss.

Now in the case of Cutler, his default, serious, unsmiling look comes across as dour. I think that if you could simply realize that your perception of the look on his face probably doesn't match his actual mood or thoughts at the time, you'll feel much differently about this.

That is arguable, but given that what you saying is true, which I honestly doubt, then in any other profession where six figures are being earned, i.e. business, that type of look/demeanor is not acceptable. And I do not find it acceptable either. Once again, see Manning or Brady for comparison.

It's probably also that even 15 years ago, you would only hear about player incidents long after they took place as opposed to now with our continuous 24 hour internet news cycle. I mean, without a published picture, and reading about it as a throwaway line in PFW's "Whispers" section..... "Chicago's QB Jay Cutler flipped the bird at a stalking paparazzi 3 weeks ago. Hopefully he can flip his passes to his receivers next season as easily....." Would anyone get anything more than a laugh out of that?

Respectful? I don't think you understand the situation. Those recent pictures aren't in LA. They are in Chicago outside Cutler's home. It's not like Cutler is walking down a street in LA and someone is taking pictures of whatever celebrity happens to walk past. They are actually stalking him. I am shocked that you would call for any form of respect for an industry that was directly responsible for the death of Princess Diana. They are out of control and deserve derision - and flipping the bastard off is completely appropriate - if not called for - in my opinion. They don't deserve respect. Period.

Doesn't matter, it is a public place and no one owns the sidewalk, even the great Cutler.

By all means, spend your money on the players you admire, but I personally don't want my team hamstrung by ignoring talented players that may not have had the most stable upbringing, and haven't had stable guidance as they grew up to know right from wrong as easily as those of us that grew up with those advantages. When a player screws up off the field, I try to determine whether it's an issue of youthful ignorance, or whether it's an issue of deliberate bad decision making. The issue with Cutler isn't comparable with any other team in the league except Tom Brady.

This has nothing to do with guys who did not have the most stable upbringing, I would be willing to bet that Cutler's upbringing was MUCH more privileged than some of the guys I mentioned in an earlier post as worthy of respect for their general behaviour. There are tons of guys in the NFL who came from nothing and act like a million bucks....why? Maybe because they are not spoiled? Maybe because they appreciate what they have and respect their families and themselves enough to want to act like men instead of children?

I think you should continue to post your opinions. Hopefully we can all learn from each other's perspectives.

Thank you for that, appreciated.

He amongst us who has never flipped anyone off for any reason may criticize one who does! LOL

Wow! Saturday Night Live once showed Walter Mondale flipping the bird during his presidential campaign back in the day and I liked it because it showed the real side of a politician. The QB of the 85 SB Champs mooned a helicopter during Super Bowl week that appeared on the back page of the Sun Times locally and everyone here said it was typical Jimmy Mack.

Does anyone here remember the likes of Bryan Cox who this organization targeted as a free agent after he basically was shown the door in Miami after flipping "FANS" off while leaving the field after a game? Some of the legendary exploits of Ditka and O'Bradivich out on the town are part of the Bears mystic.

So much is made of when these players do something negative in public but, not much is being said of some of the charitable work that Cutler and his fiance' did just last year because thats not sensational journalism.

I can definitely say I have never flipped off a camera totting paparazzi at the time I was the face/QB of the Chicago Bears. Nor would I whatever the guy did.

No one is saying that Cutler is evil and should go straight to hell, this is not a judgment of his overall being. This is a comment on a particular behaviour....not the first such behaviour from this individual.

A few things Jason...

a) "it's my job" is never an excuse unto itself. It it's wrong, then quit. If it's right, then don't

Defining "wrong" is subjective. I'm sure there families don't think it's "wrong" when they put food on the table.

b ) celebrities don't all sign on the dotted line to give up all semi-privacy (not being broadcast to millions doesn't exactly meet the standards of "privacy", but I'm sure many celebs would be thrilled to have at least that), so let's not act like they do. Some manipulate the press for their benefit, and for those I'm ambivalent, but Cutler, as you should know, is NOT one of those. He has done shockingly little to pursue product endorsements or to parlay his image into $.

c) I normaly wouldn't give a damn who he married. In fact it would make me angry someone would even bring that up (is nothing sacred?), but in this case, he married a woman who most certainly ingratiated herself into the media to gain fame and make $...and...well, good point. I hadn't thought of that. Let's have some empathy for him though. He may actually be in love with her, and it's a shame then, knowing his personality, that she comes from where she does.

d) I never said I had no blame for Cutler. You read my first parapraph? It's possible for both parties to have blame in an altercation, regardless of how the law ultimately treats it. Cutler flipping the bird in this case qualifies as a tiny incident, IMO, which is exactly what I called it.

e) Simply saying A can't exist without B is not the same as saying A causes B. Now I'll admit I'm assuming the worst case scenario with the paps because it's too often true, but these paparrazi are grown men and women, and they are responsible for what they do, not some celebrity.

Again, when they sign they should know. If they don't, they're too ignorant to have that much money and responsibility. That's B,C, and D. As for E, they are responsible...for taking photographs.

Jason - I'm not explaining myself well here. Let me give it another shot.

Not all paparazzi behave badly or deserve our derision. We shouldn't paint them all with a broad brush. Just like there is a difference between speeders when one is going 5 mph over the limit and another 100 mph over the limit.

So, when it comes to paparazzi behavior:

Hanging at the airport to take pictures of celebs getting on/off planes: OK

Hanging outside famous restaurants or nightclubs to take pics of celebs coming/going: OK

Blocking celebs in cars by standing in the way to get more pictures: Bad

Hanging out in residential neighborhoods waiting for 1 celeb to come outside: Bad

Chasing celebs in cars trying to get pictures and causing the death of Princess Diana: Despicable

Now you have already admitted that some of their behavior is wrong. What I'm saying is that a guy hanging out in a residential neighborhood simply to stalk one celebrity couple falls in the inappropriate and creepy category. I guess I'm asking if you think the other people that live on the same street as Cutler deserve privacy, or do you expect them to run indoors anytime Jay or his fiance are on the street if they don't want to be in the background of published photos. What if there are underage children around? Do parents have any rights about photos being taken of their kids? I'm not talking having their faces blurred for publication, I'm talking about the pictures taken at all.

Much better described, and now we're talking about specifics.

Your scenarios get the following from me: OK, OK, Bad, OK, Bad/Confusing. The Princess Di thing is a whole ball of yarn that needs to be unraveled. Other factors besides the paparazzi were definitely contributing (e.g. driver was drinking, driver was speeding, lack of seat belt use).

Unless the photographers are breaking laws, I don't see much problem with their actions. So, back to Cutler...were they illegally in his neighborhood? That's almost certainly a no. One of the prices of fame is a diminished amount of privacy. If Cutler doesn't like it, he should move into a gated community where the average Joe can't just waltz in with his camera. That's his choice. And his money allows that choice. And his money is derived from his celebrity. Full circle.

Much better described, and now we're talking about specifics.

Your scenarios get the following from me: OK, OK, Bad, OK, Bad/Confusing. The Princess Di thing is a whole ball of yarn that needs to be unraveled. Other factors besides the paparazzi were definitely contributing (e.g. driver was drinking, driver was speeding, lack of seat belt use).

Unless the photographers are breaking laws, I don't see much problem with their actions. So, back to Cutler...were they illegally in his neighborhood? That's almost certainly a no. One of the prices of fame is a diminished amount of privacy. If Cutler doesn't like it, he should move into a gated community where the average Joe can't just waltz in with his camera. That's his choice. And his money allows that choice. And his money is derived from his celebrity. Full circle.

What law did Cutler break?

What law did Cutler break?

None. Who said he did? I'm not downing Cutler for flipping the bird. I couldn't care less. I'm just pointing out the facts that the photographers in this case also didn't break laws, and if Cutler is that sensitive maybe he should have thought about his desire for privacy before he went ahead with being a professional athlete who shacked up with a celebrity. There are plenty of celebrities who stay off the radar. If Cutler wanted that, he could afford to make it a reality.

None. Who said he did? I'm not downing Cutler for flipping the bird. I couldn't care less. I'm just pointing out the facts that the photographers in this case also didn't break laws, and if Cutler is that sensitive maybe he should have thought about his desire for privacy before he went ahead with being a professional athlete who shacked up with a celebrity. There are plenty of celebrities who stay off the radar. If Cutler wanted that, he could afford to make it a reality.

LOL! The old 20/20 hindsight. I do kinda agree with you on this point, but I don't think he'd thought out all these issues when he likely bought his property in Lincoln Park either. He hadn't even met the chick yet.

It wouldn't surprise me if he looks to move to the suburbs because of this. And it wouldn't even need to be a gated community either. Any suburb with million dollar homes will come with a police force that prevents anyone from sitting on the side of a residential street loitering. Neighbors will call with reports of "suspicious" looking things and the cops will simply make them leave.

Exactly. I agree, Cutler didn't ask for privacy or, as you correctly state he'd have bought it. He just flipped a guy off who was hanging out harassing him. Each have the right to do what they did and like I've said it's a non-issue.

LOL! The old 20/20 hindsight. I do kinda agree with you on this point, but I don't think he'd thought out all these issues when he likely bought his property in Lincoln Park either. He hadn't even met the chick yet.

It wouldn't surprise me if he looks to move to the suburbs because of this. And it wouldn't even need to be a gated community either. Any suburb with million dollar homes will come with a police force that prevents anyone from sitting on the side of a residential street loitering. Neighbors will call with reports of "suspicious" looking things and the cops will simply make them leave.

Dude, that is NOT hindsight. That is as foretold and obvious as a sunrise. And it predates the link to celebrity girlfriends. All the girlfriend does is amplify the situation.

Become star NFL player = get publicity, get millions of fans, lose privacy in public

Become star NFL player who shacks up with a celebrity = See above, and muliply by infinity

If he doesn't move, then he has nobody to blame about his lack of privacy other than himself.

Dude, that is NOT hindsight. That is as foretold and obvious as a sunrise. And it predates the link to celebrity girlfriends. All the girlfriend does is amplify the situation.

Become star NFL player = get publicity, get millions of fans, lose privacy in public

Become star NFL player who shacks up with a celebrity = See above, and muliply by infinity

If he doesn't move, then he has nobody to blame about his lack of privacy other than himself.

We can agree to disagree on this, but I'm quite certain that the Paparazzi would not give a crap about Cutler if he wasn't hooked up with a Hollywood starlet. If his girlfriend was Jane from Santa Claus Indiana, TMZ wouldn't pay money for pictures of him - and that's the type of publication that pays for pictures of him picking up dog poop. The photog is there to really get pictures of his preggers girlfriend.

We can agree to disagree on this, but I'm quite certain that the Paparazzi would not give a crap about Cutler if he wasn't hooked up with a Hollywood starlet. If his girlfriend was Jane from Santa Claus Indiana, TMZ wouldn't pay money for pictures of him - and that's the type of publication that pays for pictures of him picking up dog poop. The photog is there to really get pictures of his preggers girlfriend.

I'll agree it's somewhere in the middle. But an NFL QB garners attention on his own. Adding celebrity girlfriend just makes it worse.

I'll agree it's somewhere in the middle. But an NFL QB garners attention on his own. Adding celebrity girlfriend just makes it worse.

Other than Brady, have you ever seen tabloid pictures of an NFL QB just walking around their neighborhood?

I'll concede that NFL players and particularly QBs get more attention than the average Joe, but none of them get stalked by paparazzi unless they are dating a supermodel or actress. It may be in the same type of subject matter, but it's like the difference in virus between the common cold and ebola.

Other than Brady, have you ever seen tabloid pictures of an NFL QB just walking around their neighborhood?

I'll concede that NFL players and particularly QBs get more attention than the average Joe, but none of them get stalked by paparazzi unless they are dating a supermodel or actress. It may be in the same type of subject matter, but it's like the difference in virus between the common cold and ebola.

Agree with your perspective on JC and the fotogs. Let me add that he brings a lot on himself by being aloof and dickish with the media. The finger incident will only make them harass him more, as they will now attempt to incite and bait him.

That being said, I think my personality would make me standoffish with the media as well. Especially fotogs. I think they are representative of what is wrong with civilization. Bottom feeders preying to serve the interest of dumbasses who give a crap what Cutler and GF do on a Saturday in April.

Agree with your perspective on JC and the fotogs. Let me add that he brings a lot on himself by being aloof and dickish with the media. The finger incident will only make them harass him more, as they will now attempt to incite and bait him.

That being said, I think my personality would make me standoffish with the media as well. Especially fotogs. I think they are representative of what is wrong with civilization. Bottom feeders preying to serve the interest of dumbasses who give a crap what Cutler and GF do on a Saturday in April.

I think the current fixation is because she's pregnant. Evidently the public craves pictures of skinny starlets getting bigger.