Shae McClellin

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

what in the hell is with this spin around garbage.... i saw it all last week, turning his back to QB... in for one play, does the same dam thing in thr first series....

Guest TerraTor
Starting to worry a little more about McClellin. Looks a lot more to me like a LB than a DE. Gets pushed around way too easily when he's in the game. These last two pre-season games haven't been too kind for him with the starting unit.

Lovie smith garbage pick all over him

Dude, chill out. I was not happy about the pick either... He is a bear now so Im going to root for him. Its preseason of his rookie year.... It's not time to freak out

Pre season is premature on proper view. When the games start for real, we can explode up our picks but for now just have hope.

Starting to worry a little more about McClellin. Looks a lot more to me like a LB than a DE. Gets pushed around way too easily when he's in the game. These last two pre-season games haven't been too kind for him with the starting unit.

Can someone please tell me if he ever played MLB in college???? I thought they ran a 3-4 and he was an OLB.

We run a 4-3 and even the OLB spot in a 4-3 is completly different than a OLB in a 3-4. He is not replacing 54, and will not play LB in our system. I just dont see it.

We used the 19th pick on him(its not like he was a top 10 draft pick), he has the speed to play DE, strength need to catch up. Emery has came out and said they are pleased with his performance so far, Im sure that takes into account practice and games. Lets stop with the bashing and give this kid some time. He goes hard every play, similar to Jared Allen. You cant teach that, see Webb. If by the end of the season he sucks than lets start roasting him.

Can someone please tell me if he ever played MLB in college???? I thought they ran a 3-4 and he was an OLB.

We run a 4-3 and even the OLB spot in a 4-3 is completly different than a OLB in a 3-4. He is not replacing 54, and will not play LB in our system. I just dont see it.

We used the 19th pick on him(its not like he was a top 10 draft pick), he has the speed to play DE, strength need to catch up. Emery has came out and said they are pleased with his performance so far, Im sure that takes into account practice and games. Lets stop with the bashing and give this kid some time. He goes hard every play, similar to Jared Allen. You cant teach that, see Webb. If by the end of the season he sucks than lets start roasting him.

I say you need to give two years before tearing him apart. :dabears

Peace

We will give him a chance, but please stop the Jared Allen comparisons. Allen had 9 sacks as a rookie and 11 in his second season. I can only hope McClellin can produce half as much.

He did look absolutely silly with the spin move right into the hands of the OLineman who just pushed him away as the ball flew over his head. If he stayed facing the QB he could have at least jumped up to block the pass. He is still learning, but that play looked awful.

The whole problem with the McClellin pick to begin with was that he'd be a project. He's built like more of an OLB than he is a DE, and that's the way he's played like to me thus far in the pre-season games. Even his one sack came from when he basically stood straight up at the snap, took a step back, and then went after the quarterback like what you see from a LB. I'm not saying he doesn't have the skills to be a pretty good pass rusher, I'm saying that I'm worried that his physical limitations are going to be a major problem for him in the early going of his career. As the 19th overall pick in the draft, you'd certainly like to get a guy that's not going to take a couple of years to develop.

Julius Peppers isn't exactly the average DE, and most of the great ones are not what he is physically (6'7 287lbs). Shea's success will be determined by his skill, not being an inch shorter than the average DE and needing to gain 10 pounds as a rookie (assuming he really is 6'3" 260lbs). ...especially since he's apparently quite athletic. I've also gotten the impression that he wasn't all that developed of a DE coming out of college, further leading me to worry more about skill than some pretty slight shortcomings on measurables.

Really, even Julius Peppers hasn't lit the world on fire these past two years, though I think I'm satsified with his play (he's obviously played well. Just not sure he's lived up to his $92 million dollar contract?) DE in he NFL is a tough job, no doubt.

Julius Peppers isn't exactly the average DE, and most of the great ones are not what he is physically (6'7 287lbs). Shea's success will be determined by his skill, not being an inch shorter than the average DE and needing to gain 10 pounds as a rookie (assuming he really is 6'3" 260lbs). ...especially since he's apparently quite athletic. I've also gotten the impression that he wasn't all that developed of a DE coming out of college, further leading me to worry more about skill than some pretty slight shortcomings on measurables.

Really, even Julius Peppers hasn't lit the world on fire these past two years, though I think I'm satsified with his play (he's obviously played well. Just not sure he's lived up to his $92 million dollar contract?) DE in he NFL is a tough job, no doubt.

I think Peppers has more than lived up to his contract. He hasn't given you big numbers but he's had the same kind of dominant performances he's put up with Carolina. He doesn't quite pile up the sacks but he controls the line, and the total number of sacks depends on who else is on the line.

We will give him a chance, but please stop the Jared Allen comparisons. Allen had 9 sacks as a rookie and 11 in his second season. I can only hope McClellin can produce half as much.

He did look absolutely silly with the spin move right into the hands of the OLineman who just pushed him away as the ball flew over his head. If he stayed facing the QB he could have at least jumped up to block the pass. He is still learning, but that play looked awful.

I never said he would turn out to be Jared Allen. All I said was he goes hard every play like him. It is a trait I want in every player that plays for the bears.

He has to experiment his moves to find out what works. I'm sure it is something Merinelli has taught him. If he gets squared up, he's no going to win. Give him time to develop his moves and he'll be a monster opposite of Peppers. Just relax and sip some orange kool aid

I agree.....the coaches have told him to find two or three moves to work on to get you off the blockers and to the QB. What better time to work on those than in a pre-season game

I agree.....the coaches have told him to find two or three moves to work on to get you off the blockers and to the QB. What better time to work on those than in a pre-season game

You hit the nail on the head there wesson...Wayyyyy to early to be calling this guy a bust. Remember this is a guy the Packers wanted and the Pack are pretty good at picking players on the defensive side of the ball. If he hasn't done a damn thing come the buy week then maybe it'd be ok to start rippin on him.

Nobody had a problem when SMC used spin moves to get several QB pressures this preseason. At least I didn't see the threads on this board talking about how he just barely missed a sack. Watching plays in slo-mo t is obvious SMC has had many spin moves that almost immediately got him in front of the QB but the move hasn't always worked as he seems to commit to it early (i.e before the snap) and/or doesn't always set it up well. As the preseason has worn on he has had more time with the 1's and he is facing better competition and thus the bad setups are even less effective. He has also had some good moves where he went upfield initially and then came back inside to get early pressure. It hasn't been all good with him but neither has it been all bad.

I'm willing to be a bit patient with SMC as he has a quickness and suddenness to his movements that no other Dline has on our roster and I think the improvement since day one of training camp has been pretty good. He does need more strength but there is no getting around the fact it will take a year or two to get him where he needs to be in that department.

And what makes you think he wont have 9 sacks this season,? Without a real game played yet Ill use the analogy as long as season goes forward, when its over then you will have a say if we can use that analogy.

And what makes you think he wont have 9 sacks this season,? Without a real game played yet Ill use the analogy as long as season goes forward, when its over then you will have a say if we can use that analogy.

Based upon what I saw in the first preseason game, I think 9 sacks is easily achievable on his hustle alone. Of course, that's all dependant upon how much playing time he gets, but if he attacks the entire game like the way he has been, I can't see how he won't capitalize on a mistake at least every other game.

I agree. I feel like he could contribute like Anderson did. I expect a lot more down the road, but for this season...I'd like to see one great disruption per game.

Based upon what I saw in the first preseason game, I think 9 sacks is easily achievable on his hustle alone. Of course, that's all dependant upon how much playing time he gets, but if he attacks the entire game like the way he has been, I can't see how he won't capitalize on a mistake at least every other game.