Cutler Concussion Thread

balta1701-A

It worries me that he's now had a pretty lengthy history with concussions. This is a situation that has to be handled seriously, and error on the side of caution. I don't think he should play next week. Will he? I assume if he's cleared by doctors he will. If he comes back next week and gets hit again, you never know what could happen. One more concussion and he's done for the season, maybe even a career ender.

Bears expected to sign McCown:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/11/be...osh_mccown.html

This could be precautionary, but also could mean they expect him to miss some time.

They had this plan when the released him before the season began. Hoping that Cutler can return and be okay or that Campbell can take us to some wins.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...ocol-jay-cutler

Smith said Cutler is "getting better," and added that he "was feeling better at the end of the game," but the quarterback's status for the Bears' Nov. 19 game against the San Francisco 49ers is unclear with a battery of tests ahead this week to determine if he can play.

I really hope Dobbins gets fined and suspended:

Dobbins called his hit on Cutler clean, insisting he hit the quarterback in the chest. The linebacker claimed "I did not touch his helmet."

Cutler hit

Tim Dobbins is clearly a huge f***ing moron.

Speaking of morons, did anyone see Rick Reilly's tweet about Cutler? Cutler didn't give him the time and place before the Seahawks/Bears playoff game in 2010 and now Reilly can't help himself but to rip Cutler with every chance he gets. The tweet read something like "Bears' doctors knew Cutler was concussed when he was actually friendly to others on the sideline."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...ocol-jay-cutler

I really hope Dobbins gets fined and suspended:

Cutler hit

Dobbins is a dip shit. I hope he misses time. This sucks that he got another one.... That RB for the Lions cant pass the tests to get back on the field and its been a year.... Hope we dont see something as bad as that.

Dobbins is a dip shit. I hope he misses time. This sucks that he got another one.... That RB for the Lions cant pass the tests to get back on the field and its been a year.... Hope we dont see something as bad as that.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere this morning that this was like Cutler's 6th concussion. It wasn't so bad that he even immediately reacted. I'll go on a limb and say I think Cutler plays next week.

Also, that probably isn't a suspension unless he's a repeat offender but no way that hit doesn't get a fine. Terrible technique, that's "Leading with your helmet" to a T, and there was literally no effort to tackle the person any other way (arms are back, rather than extended, face is aimed downward to use the helmet as a ramming object rather than to see the guy you're trying to tackle).

Speaking of morons, did anyone see Rick Reilly's tweet about Cutler? Cutler didn't give him the time and place before the Seahawks/Bears playoff game in 2010 and now Reilly can't help himself but to rip Cutler with every chance he gets. The tweet read something like "Bears' doctors knew Cutler was concussed when he was actually friendly to others on the sideline."

Rick Reilly is a douche bag..... I am a ND fan as well and love that they made him eat crow this year. I refuse to read anything he writes. Im surprised that he has not seen a backlash from this tweet. Not a matter to make fun of.

I can't stand Rick Reilly. He's been riding the Cutler hate train since, like you said, the playoff game years back. I don't mind people criticizing him for his play on the field, but leave the body language, is he a jerk, stuff out of it. Yes, we know the guy is a jerk, but how does that hurt or help the Bears win football games? It doesn't. When they added him to the MNF football crew, I knew the Anti-Jay stuff would be coming, and sure enough, we get the obligatory piece on his body language..

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere this morning that this was like Cutler's 6th concussion. It wasn't so bad that he even immediately reacted. I'll go on a limb and say I think Cutler plays next week.

Personnally, I think Cutler should seriously consider retiring. Should this be his "6th concusssion" nothing positive (for him as an individual) can be gained long term for him to risk a 7th. But that's just me. I realize the drive players have to "make it to the mountain" but at what cost?

Ask Junior Seau, Dave Duerson or Andre Waters.

A little information on "concussions in the NFL".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussions_i...erican_football

Personnally, I think Cutler should seriously consider retiring. Should this be his "6th concusssion" nothing positive (for him as an individual) can be gained long term for him to risk a 7th. But that's just me. I realize the drive players have to "make it to the mountain" but at what cost?

The problem is, there's really no hard data at all on "How many concussions is too many" and "What are the other factors". For some guys it might be their first or seconde concussion that leaves them feeling symptoms forever (see: Justin Morneau). Other guys might be able to have dozens and still be ok mentally. There really isn't good science to evaluate that question, and it's going to be a long time before there is.

What the NFL really needs to do is make sure these guys have their mental health taken care of after they retire. It needs to be a part of their post-league life, part of the pension system, that these guys get access to mental health professionals, maybe even as a condition for their participation in the pension plan.

If Jay winds up in a place where the symptoms continue longer than they should, for weeks or months, then yeah, he should give that serious thought. Without that, there's no way to judge whether the next concussion will be the one that really causes serious problems or not, and frankly, if everyone in the NFL who should be worried about this problem retired...the NFL wouldn't exist any more, because they all ought to be worried that their next concussion will be the one that damages things severely.

Leaving the game Sunday, I was thinking the same. Why would Cutler come back to the Bears after 2013 if they continue to do nothing for him in terms of protection? They've drafted 1 guy and signed 2 guys since he's arrived. The drafted guy has been awful this year (Carimi) and the two signed guys were either let go by their former team because they stunk and/or because they were injury prone. Rachal applies to the 1st one and Spencer applies to both. In fact, they've only signed 1 good offensive player in his time here as well and that was Brandon Marshall.

You hit it on the head, pardon the pun, when you said that he's had 6 concussions. If they continue to barely add to the OL, he's bound to get 2-3 more behind this OL in the next 4-5 years. I know that $70M or whatever more in the back account sounds great, but he has a child now. Being able to play with his kid in 15 years is far more important than football.

The problem is, there's really no hard data at all on "How many concussions is too many" and "What are the other factors". For some guys it might be their first or seconde concussion that leaves them feeling symptoms forever (see: Justin Morneau). Other guys might be able to have dozens and still be ok mentally. There really isn't good science to evaluate that question, and it's going to be a long time before there is.

The fact is that even one or twelve could leave you impaired for a life time should weigh heavily in anyone's mind. (more below) How many times did it take those testing nuclear bombs (and literally standing near ground zero) before they realized the long term effects were deadly?

What the NFL really needs to do is make sure these guys have their mental health taken care of after they retire. It needs to be a part of their post-league life, part of the pension system, that these guys get access to mental health professionals, maybe even as a condition for their participation in the pension plan.

I would have been good as this being the closing remark. You are absolutely right, the players need to be looked after. Given how much money they are paid to do the job they do, you'd think the league would do better at after care.

If Jay winds up in a place where the symptoms continue longer than they should, for weeks or months, then yeah, he should give that serious thought. Without that, there's no way to judge whether the next concussion will be the one that really causes serious problems or not, and frankly, if everyone in the NFL who should be worried about this problem retired...the NFL wouldn't exist any more, because they all ought to be worried that their next concussion will be the one that damages things severely.

The problem is, when is too much? Like you addressed earlier there are "no hard facts" and rather than being a guinea pig I would advise the time is now. Why take the risk? Because the power of the almighty dollar. As far as "everyone retiring" for the fear of the unknown, that argument is hogwash. In that same line of thinking we wouldn't have any police officers, any fire fighters, race car drivers, airplane pilots....etc. Wherever people put themselves that is "out of the norm" and could cause their life to be altered significantly by their choice of career. I believe there is some way to prevent long term health concerns. I've been "concussed" a few times in life and once enough to be unconcious. Did it inhibit my health, memory or lifestyle? Probably. We're talking about a brain here, not a knee or elbow or a toe. In my opionion, the NFL should regulate when a player is to be force retired. One or two concussions? I would have to ask questions like what degree? How severe? Symptoms, long term or not? How many previously? And like you said before, keep tabs on afterwards. Post career care.

Personally, I think the front office and the coaching staff should look at the concussion picture, realize Cutler is on the road to retirement, and start to protect the key piece in the offensive gameplan, the first franchise QB the Bears have had in 20 years. Maybe then he wouldn't constantly have the need to run, to scramble out of the pocket. Nobody accused Peyton Manning of getting outside the pocket very much. And I can't remember the last time Peyton was drilled. Matter of fact, I can't remember the last time any of the elite QBs (Manning, Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers) was drilled. It happens to Cutler fairly regularly.

Protect Cutler and all this goes away. But they'll probably draft either DL or LB in the first next year.

You (or I) might not remember it but there's a reason Peyton Manning needed neck surgery and missed an entire season. Yes, I agree he gets rid of the ball quickly when in trouble and doesn't hold on to it as long as Cutler will. Cutler also doesn't throw the ball away enough....part of that wimpy aspect people like MJD ascribe to him. Eli has taken lots of hits and his Oline has not been that great the last couple seasons. Brady usually avoids the big hits too. Rothlisberger plays like Jay in that he often holds the ball too long, less than stellar Oline in pass protection, and takes lots of hits. A big part of the hits is Oline but a significant part of this is how Cutler plays the game. That last reason means the Bears need to be even more careful with him especially against a physical D like the 49ers.

I don't expect Cutler to play this week.

Personally, I think the front office and the coaching staff should look at the concussion picture, realize Cutler is on the road to retirement, and start to protect the key piece in the offensive gameplan, the first franchise QB the Bears have had in 20 years. Maybe then he wouldn't constantly have the need to run, to scramble out of the pocket. Nobody accused Peyton Manning of getting outside the pocket very much. And I can't remember the last time Peyton was drilled. Matter of fact, I can't remember the last time any of the elite QBs (Manning, Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers) was drilled. It happens to Cutler fairly regularly.

Protect Cutler and all this goes away. But they'll probably draft either DL or LB in the first next year.

Rodgers gets his share of hits, with the offensive line he has. He's just able to mask it, better than anybody, because he's Aaron Rodgers, and their offense is built around quick passing. Brees and Brady both have tremendous offensive lines, as does Eli (in pass protection). I think it's funny how Denver went to one of the worst offensive lines in football, with Tebow, to one of the best. Just goes to show what a HOF quarterback can do to an offense.

I am behind whatever Jay feels is best for Jay.

It'd bad more than sad to see that as his last game... But his life is more important. It wouldn't be the first time we've dealt with QB issues, good running, great D, and questionable O coordinators.

You of course know, that if he walks, by then we'll have built up a great O line...

:P

Leaving the game Sunday, I was thinking the same. Why would Cutler come back to the Bears after 2013 if they continue to do nothing for him in terms of protection? They've drafted 1 guy and signed 2 guys since he's arrived. The drafted guy has been awful this year (Carimi) and the two signed guys were either let go by their former team because they stunk and/or because they were injury prone. Rachal applies to the 1st one and Spencer applies to both. In fact, they've only signed 1 good offensive player in his time here as well and that was Brandon Marshall.

You hit it on the head, pardon the pun, when you said that he's had 6 concussions. If they continue to barely add to the OL, he's bound to get 2-3 more behind this OL in the next 4-5 years. I know that $70M or whatever more in the back account sounds great, but he has a child now. Being able to play with his kid in 15 years is far more important than football.

I think it's funny how Denver went to one of the worst offensive lines in football, with Tebow, to one of the best. Just goes to show what a HOF quarterback can do to an offense.

Peyton Manning's throwing motion is just so incredibly quick it's actually fun to watch. It's watching a master, from the snap through the decision through the end of his throw, it's lightning.

Manning,Manning,Brees, Brady,Rodgers offense linemen are able to hold defenders much more than other lines,because the refs and league allow it and the line and coach know this.