Goodbye, Brian

Connorbear

Yes, I actually watched the interview and as a long time Bear fan and season ticket holder I washeds offended.

Peace :dabear

I would bet most defensive leaders would have the same response after losing to your biggest rival when all game long the players are talking trash to each other and now the fans give the puke more ammo.

I was just as disappointed that we have no ugency even with seconds in a half to try for points, I think thats what the booing was about imo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[edit: misread you]

Hey, man you're basically repeating everything I said. You have the right and he has the right. That's not profound. And you dont' have to stay home on game day and Urlacher doesn't have to retire over it...and there you go.

It's the reaction to his reaction that bothers me. Not only is it his right, he is right. There's too many other players that think it but won't be sincere because they're scared. Stand behind your convictions, I say.

Well, upon further thought, I take exception with you on two levels. Like I said before, you dont' cheer him on as a favor, so don't pretend like you do. Also, he's only told you to "stick" your opinions in one very specific situation...when you're booing at their home field the home players who just played their hearts out and are sick over losing. Almost every other way you express your opinions he is not telling you off over. That's more than reasonable.

I never said I cheer him on as a favor. I cheer when they are winning. However, when they lose 5 out of 6 games, when they can't get a touchdown from the 5-yard line, when they burn their timeouts before the last 5 minutes of the fourth quarter, when they can't stop two fourth down plays greater than 5 yards, when they drop passes, when they give up a sack with 5 offensive linemen blocking two defensive players, when they continue to get offensive penalties, etc... I am going to boo them.

If Urlacher doesn't like it, I suggest he hang 'em up.

Peace :dabears

If Urlacher doesn't like it, I suggest he hang 'em up.

And I think that is how this all started. He essentially said what you said and told you (and those that boo the team) to stick it. He didnt like you or they booing, you don't like what he had to say.

As selection points out, it takes a heck a lot more for a player to say it then a fan to type it.

And I think that is how this all started. He essentially said what you said and told you (and those that boo the team) to stick it. He didnt like you or they booing, you don't like what he had to say.

As selection points out, it takes a heck a lot more for a player to say it then a fan to type it.

I've never shied away from speaking my mind and I can respect him for doing that. However, as a fan I vehemently disagree with the assertion that I shouldn't boo my team.

If I had access to Urlacher I would tell him that.

If fans don't boo how are we supposed to express our displeasure of the poor offense we've been subjected to year after year? I'm supposed to accept mediocrity because the players accept it? Should I cheer the defense after it gave up two long drives to Seattle and after I spent $1000 to visit the city, attend the game, and cheer these guys on?

Maybe he wants a more European approach and we should throw stuff like flares and metal objects onto the field at the players? He doesn't think the fans know football? I guess we should follow his naive approach to believing the Bears are headed toward a 16-0 record and will go the Superbowl.

It is correct, everyone has a choice here. If Ulracher doesn't like football fans in Chicago he never had to sign a contract for millions of dollars to play here. Fans don't have to pay to watch him play either. Since, according to some, Urlacher is the bigger man in this argument (not physically), I hope he votes with his feet and follow his convictions this offseason then I'll believe him. Take your wares to the FA market after this season. I'll do my part too and stay home next year. Even better, I won't spend money to see him stand on the sidelines in AZ this week.

If fans don't boo how are we supposed to express our displeasure of the poor offense we've been subjected to year after year? I'm supposed to accept mediocrity because the players accept it? Should I cheer the defense after it gave up two long drives to Seattle and after I spent $1000 to visit the city, attend the game, and cheer these guys on?

Maybe he wants a more European approach and we should throw stuff like flares and metal objects onto the field at the players? He doesn't think the fans know football? I guess we should follow his naive approach to believing the Bears are headed toward a 16-0 record and will go the Superbowl.

It is correct, everyone has a choice here. If Ulracher doesn't like football fans in Chicago he never had to sign a contract for millions of dollars to play here. Fans don't have to pay to watch him play either. Since, according to some, Urlacher is the bigger man in this argument (not physically), I hope he votes with his feet and follow his convictions this offseason then I'll believe him. Take your wares to the FA market after this season. I'll do my part too and stay home next year. Even better, I won't spend money to see him stand on the sidelines in AZ this week.

Well said. Thank you.

C'mon, that isn't honorable. That's stupid on Url's part. It's honorable what Marshall said. He is asking for accountability.

Just because someone does it publicly doesn't mean it's more honorable... What if Url proclaimed he doesn't like Irish people, or Indians, or Chinese? Is that honorable too just becasue he isn't afraid to say it? (Not saying he did...just using it as an example...)

Yup. This is what's commonly desclibed as "falling apart"

As the season is unravelling, I believe what Mr. Urlacher is doing is known as "piling on." Always a plus when it comes from your team captain.

If you think it's ugly now, Brian, just wait and see if your boys lay an egg in Phoenix and Detroit.

...and if he decked you, you'd be rich! :P

I met Url in training camp his rookie year and I don't think he would do that. I think he is extremely frustrated about the team, his injury and the looming end of his career and it has boiled over. Take it out on the media all you want but don't take it out on your fans.

Urlacher is the not the brightest tool in the shed. He probably thinks the Packer fans are booing when Kuhn gets a carry too. "Oooo, look at the bright light"

However, he is entitled to his opinion, and I would assume no athlete wants to be booed. I also think he is implying something when he says the media and fans don't know what they are talking about. Like he knows something about the coaching situation that we don't know. Maybe the coaches have already been told they are not coming back?

I've never shied away from speaking my mind and I can respect him for doing that. However, as a fan I vehemently disagree with the assertion that I shouldn't boo my team.

If I had access to Urlacher I would tell him that.

Completely agree.

C'mon, that isn't honorable. That's stupid on Url's part. It's honorable what Marshall said. He is asking for accountability.

Just because someone does it publicly doesn't mean it's more honorable... What if Url proclaimed he doesn't like Irish people, or Indians, or Chinese? Is that honorable too just becasue he isn't afraid to say it? (Not saying he did...just using it as an example...)

What you are doing is parsing words. Because if Urlacher had said what you suggested he'd be exposing himself as racist. Not quite the same here. Poor example.

He plays a violent game that we are all paying him (indirectly I might point out) to play. He has invested a large portion of his life to the sport and a large part to this team. He has been "in the trenches" with most of the guys on the team, similar to what combat soldiers experience. What did you do for him when his Mom died a few years ago? Charter a plane to attend her funeral? He plays the game, we PAY to watch. If he doesn't like the fact you or I boo him, live with it. If he comes back next year I'll cheer him on just like I have the last several years.

I am more and more taking the view that I vote with my feet when the team sucks, meaning I do not attend games or buy merchandise....I am still a fan, but will not support mediocrity, and this year I would not waste a dime on going to see them for the rest of the year. Furthermore, I will cancel the sports Sky package one needs in the UK to see US Football as I bought it to watch the Bears and they are not worth watching any longer this year.

I bet if lots of people took this approach the team might be a bit more desperate to win....

Good to know.

I was kidding...as he doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. Not a rocket scientist, but not a bad guy.

I think you're 100% correct in your assessment.

I met Url in training camp his rookie year and I don't think he would do that. I think he is extremely frustrated about the team, his injury and the looming end of his career and it has boiled over. Take it out on the media all you want but don't take it out on your fans.

Fair enough. But doesn't his comment still come off as dumb to you?

He's also paid off commercials,etc...especially in the Chicago-land area. If sponsors feel fans don't like him, he'll lose that money.

I'll tell you what I did, when I found out his mom died. I sent him a note of sympathy through the team. What did he do for me when my grandma passed away? That's a silly comparison as is the reference that he is a soldier.

I cheer when he/the team does well. I boo when I see true failing. He can boo me, and tell me to F off. I can can do the same. He'll still laugh all the way to the bank. But if he continues this nonsense, sponsors will drop him and his revenue will decrease.

I guess I'm confused what you're point is. First you love that it took guts for him to spew something dumb, then you say you will boo if bad... I guess I really don't follow. I get he's frustrated, but that doesn't mean he should be awarded for saying dumb things. Marshall was frustrated and said appropriate things. I prefer Marshall's passion over Urlacher's flippant remarks... But in the end, I don't really care other than what they do on the field. And this year, I have not booed Marshall. Nor Url. But I have booed just about everyone else barring a select few others like Tillman and Briggs.

What you are doing is parsing words. Because if Urlacher had said what you suggested he'd be exposing himself as racist. Not quite the same here. Poor example.

He plays a violent game that we are all paying him (indirectly I might point out) to play. He has invested a large portion of his life to the sport and a large part to this team. He has been "in the trenches" with most of the guys on the team, similar to what combat soldiers experience. What did you do for him when his Mom died a few years ago? Charter a plane to attend her funeral? He plays the game, we PAY to watch. If he doesn't like the fact you or I boo him, live with it. If he comes back next year I'll cheer him on just like I have the last several years.

100%. This is a free country to say what you want. Everyone has that right. But everyone else has the right to think Url's a dumbass for saying it.

Urlacher is the not the brightest tool in the shed. He probably thinks the Packer fans are booing when Kuhn gets a carry too. "Oooo, look at the bright light"

However, he is entitled to his opinion, and I would assume no athlete wants to be booed. I also think he is implying something when he says the media and fans don't know what they are talking about. Like he knows something about the coaching situation that we don't know. Maybe the coaches have already been told they are not coming back?

I played a little football in college and wound up in Vietnam in 69-70 and it ain't the same,the guys I served with are the real heroes not the guy your talking about,they

don't get called baby killers and spit on when they come home as well as denied help from the VA,please forgive me if I come across hostile.

Please forgive Alaska...he used a poor comparison. He's a good guy and meant no harm I assure you.

Unlike Urlacher, I believe he will admit that that wasn't a wise thing to write...

That analogy gets thrown around too much. It lessens the impact that folks like yourself have had and the things you've endured. I assure you that everyone here, and especially Alaska, are beyond thankful for your and all our countryman's service. It can never truly be repaid.

:cheers

I played a little football in college and wound up in Vietnam in 69-70 and it ain't the same,the guys I served with are the real heroes not the guy your talking about,they

don't get called baby killers and spit on when they come home as well as denied help from the VA,please forgive me if I come across hostile.

Nope, didn't mean any disrespect. I myself spent 21 years in the Navy. My dad was in Viet Nam (mom served as Navy Nurse during the same time), both my grandfathers served in WWII. Heck I've even got roots to a Captain in the Union Army during the Civil War. I understand and appreciate all that you and they have done.

The comparison I am making is the thankless attitiude expressed by some here in regards to the investment like a person Urlacher has made in the team we all "love". Similar to what you illustrated. I think it easy for an "outsider" (as some here are) to grade the reaction that a player like Urlacher is/was on his reaction to fans is sad...in some cases, pathetic. The "ties that bind" I refer to are similar in regards to playing in a game where people get hurt and have heard that the commanaility is that of combat veterans where you know you can trust the guy next to you moreso the guy that isn't. That was the only comparison being made. And when someone from outside says that you aren't cutting the mustard to their expectation, then "f*ck em". In my mind, its acceptable for that player to feel that way.

To you, I apologize if the analogy I made offended you. Instead the comparison I will make is this. A guy and his brother are walking down the street and some other guy (dude #3) calls one brother a deragortory term. The other brother might take exception, maybe even kick dude #3's backside. But when they get home, brother #2 calls brother #1 the same deragotory term. At home, its all good.

To you sir, thank you for your service. And I am truly appreciative of the sacrifice involved and sorry that you haven't gotten back what you put in.

Fair enough. But doesn't his comment still come off as dumb to you?

Nope.

I'll tell you what I did, when I found out his mom died. I sent him a note of sympathy through the team. What did he do for me when my grandma passed away? That's a silly comparison as is the reference that he is a soldier.

Good for you in letting him know you care. If you are not getting what I am saying about camaraderie, then I can't explain it to you.

I cheer when he/the team does well. I boo when I see true failing. He can boo me, and tell me to F off. I can can do the same. He'll still laugh all the way to the bank. But if he continues this nonsense, sponsors will drop him and his revenue will decrease.

This, we agree on.

I guess I'm confused what you're point is. First you love that it took guts for him to spew something dumb, then you say you will boo if bad... I guess I really don't follow. I get he's frustrated, but that doesn't mean he should be awarded for saying dumb things. Marshall was frustrated and said appropriate things. I prefer Marshall's passion over Urlacher's flippant remarks... But in the end, I don't really care other than what they do on the field. And this year, I have not booed Marshall. Nor Url. But I have booed just about everyone else barring a select few others like Tillman and Briggs.

I don't agree that it was "dumb". You do. I do agree that I will boo if he or the team does do bad. In fact, be blind to how badly the refs can call a game because if the roles were reversed, I would be ok with how they called the game. That is my level of dedication to the team. I am a spectator. If Urlacher were to personally call me an "a**hole" because he didn't like me booing, would I throw my kids' Urlacher jerseys in the trash? Nope, not even consider it. Now I admit he is not of the same character or class that Payton was but neither was Butkus. Yet I respect them just the same. If you don't like Urlacher's "flippant" remarks, sorry to hear it.

I remember Cutler criticizing the fans for no being quiet when we are in the red zone and I agree with him on that. If he criticized the fans for booing the team or called us stupid, that is a different story.

See below. Maybe he didn't use the word "stupid" but believe the message was similar.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/1...rce=top-modules