Bears are going to have Salary Cap room

GakMan23

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/17253566-41...-cap-space.html

"There will be an incremental increase in the salary cap to $121 million, and the Bears’ combined cap number of their top 41 players is about $14.5 million under that."

This offseason is going to be very interesting regardless of this season's outcome.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/17253566-41...-cap-space.html

"There will be an incremental increase in the salary cap to $121 million, and the Bears’ combined cap number of their top 41 players is about $14.5 million under that."

This offseason is going to be very interesting regardless of this season's outcome.

We also have a few existing contracts to take care of, so I don't know if we will have all of that available for free agency.

We also have a few existing contracts to take care of, so I don't know if we will have all of that available for free agency.

That is if they don't blow it up, they can bring back and extend players, add a player or 3 via free agency and the draft and try again. If they end up blowing it up, those people can be let go and they have the ability to cut ties with some additional people and save even more money in a rebuilding move. They would then be able to bring in players that fit whatever the new coaching staff's scheme is.

The Bears will be able to significantly add to their cap room by dealing with Hester as well, although they may subtract some on extensions (i.e. Melton) if those get done.

Peppers has a particularly high number that might be alter-able in a new contract as well, IIRC.

I believe Hester is only owed around $1.4m next year. Releasing him won't clear up that much room.

Possible cuts or reduced deals:

Hester - $1,857,523

Davis - $2,400,000

Spaeth - $2,000,000

Gould - $2,325,000 (injury watch)

Podlesh - $1,300,000

Possible restructuring:

Peppers - $12,900,000

Tillman - $7,950,000

Cutler - $8,470,000

Marshall - $9,100,000

Davis and Spaeth should be automatic. That is over $4 mil.

Gotta figure out what to do with all the UFA's: Urlacher, Melton, Roach, Spencer, Izzy, Hayden, McCown, Hayes, Moore, Bowman, Okoye, Scott, Mare, and Campbell

Hester - $1,857,523

Davis - $2,400,000

Spaeth - $2,000,000

Podlesh - $1,300,000

Possible restructuring:

Peppers - $12,900,000

Tillman - $7,950,000

Cutler - $8,470,000

Marshall - $9,100,000

Gotta figure out what to do with all the UFA's: Urlacher, Melton, Roach, Spencer, Izzy, Hayden, McCown, Hayes, Moore, Bowman, Okoye, Scott, Mare, and Campbell

I'd keep Melton, Roach, Spencer, McCown, Hayden, Hayes, Bowman, and Scott.

Give Gould a 2-3 year extension; same with Marshall. Restructure Tillman and Peppers.

Guest TerraTor

Hester - $1,857,523

Davis - $2,400,000

Spaeth - $2,000,000

Podlesh - $1,300,000

Possible restructuring:

Peppers - $12,900,000

Tillman - $7,950,000

Cutler - $8,470,000

Marshall - $9,100,000

Two "TEs" making 4.0M.... how sad

That is if they don't blow it up, they can bring back and extend players, add a player or 3 via free agency and the draft and try again. If they end up blowing it up, those people can be let go and they have the ability to cut ties with some additional people and save even more money in a rebuilding move. They would then be able to bring in players that fit whatever the new coaching staff's scheme is.

No way will they blow things up. They have a great defense and some weapons on offense. Their might be new coaches and new faces but they aren't cleaning house. This is one of the more talented teams in the league (and thats why I'm so pissed that we are at this point...rooting and hoping for the Packers to help us out).

Yes. One LT is a must.

And a real LT at that not a RT guard, center, or scrub being moved to LT or washed up LT. Tired of project guys and playing musical OL. Need to start building a solid line and anchoring it with true starter quality players. This minor league patchwork crap aint cutting it. Tired of doing next to nothing to put bandaids on it and say "we like our guys". Reality is our guys SUCK!!!

I wouldn't say that. If they sign an OG, they still have Webb, Scott and Carimi. Sign a LT and don't depend on the 20th overall pick to be the savior next year.

Agreed. I want money thrown at the LT position and draft a beast of an LG. Let our current guys battle for roster spots. I do believe a few of our guys belong in the NFL. Competition in the off season will help.

Agreed. I want money thrown at the LT position and draft a beast of an LG. Let our current guys battle for roster spots. I do believe a few of our guys belong in the NFL. Competition in the off season will help.

Does anyone know what contract status is of knox. I know hes 1 wild card in all this. Also 1 guy i want to look at in draft is the TE from Notre Dame. Name escapes me but i saw most of his games. Hes a solid blocker, is big 6'7 i believe and excels at high pointing the ball. I dont know where he projects to go just yet but i think cutler would love to have a dependable TE in middle of fields again

Does anyone know what contract status is of knox. I know hes 1 wild card in all this. Also 1 guy i want to look at in draft is the TE from Notre Dame. Name escapes me but i saw most of his games. Hes a solid blocker, is big 6'7 i believe and excels at high pointing the ball. I dont know where he projects to go just yet but i think cutler would love to have a dependable TE in middle of fields again

Tyler Effeirt is the TE- stud. I'm an ND fan and watched every game. Would be a great pick

I'm a ND fan also. Old age crumpled my memory what can i say. I would love to get Te'o with that 20th pick but i don't see him dropping that far

We need at least one speed WR, two OLs. If at all possible, Long, or at least a 1st pick. another OG, and possible a soon to be OC for one year from now. Also a viable TE. We cant fix everything in one year, but need to let Urlacher go and find a replacement. We dont have a 3rd rounder due to Marshall, but that is worth living with. So a OL, and SWR, LB in FAgency. then draft OL,TE, OL, LB,QB,TE.

We need at least one speed WR, two OLs. If at all possible, Long, or at least a 1st pick. another OG, and possible a soon to be OC for one year from now. Also a viable TE. We cant fix everything in one year, but need to let Urlacher go and find a replacement. We dont have a 3rd rounder due to Marshall, but that is worth living with. So a OL, and SWR, LB in FAgency. then draft OL,TE, OL, LB,QB,TE.

Could that be the before mentioned Johnny Knox?

Could that be the before mentioned Johnny Knox?

Like i said. He's the wild card in all this. If he can return fully healthy. Him, marshall and Jeffrey could be a hell of a trio. Add in bennett if we resign him. Lots to look forward to. Unfortunately to this point no one has said much about him. So hard to predict on all this. I know one thing for sure. Its gonna be 1 busy off season lol. Maybe y'all can keep me sane or at least amused if i remember this board right lol

Like i said. He's the wild card in all this. If he can return fully healthy. Him, marshall and Jeffrey could be a hell of a trio. Add in bennett if we resign him. Lots to look forward to. Unfortunately to this point no one has said much about him. So hard to predict on all this. I know one thing for sure. Its gonna be 1 busy off season lol. Maybe y'all can keep me sane or at least amused if i remember this board right lol

I tweeted his agent for the latest update on him. Everything I read leads me to believe he'll be back at some point next year, very possibly the beginning of the year.

Even if he's lost a step he'll be an upgrade over Hester.