Lovie Smith FIRED as HC

Ed Hochuli 3:16

He said basically that the players (OTs) who remained of the board at the time we traded up to get Jefferies did not prove to grade out better as OTs than Webb & Carimi this year. There was one he said graded out a "little bit" higher. This, IMO, was not an endorsement of our OTs, just trying to excplain the decision to go Jefferies instead of OL.

And considering Carimi was a virtual unknown after being out for the better part of the previous year, Emery did have little info to work with. I would think he would have to assume (based on his knowledge - from draft reports etc) that Carimi would work out. And Williams (also a previous #1 pick) was still with the team. One would think SOMEONE would have worked out.

FWIW, I would defend the choice of Jeffery every day to Tuesday as there is no question he will be a big contributer to the team in years to come and will be a complimentary WR to Marshall. To have gotten him in the 2nd round was a virtual steal for the Bears.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And considering Carimi was a virtual unknown after being out for the better part of the previous year, Emery did have little info to work with. I would think he would have to assume (based on his knowledge - from draft reports etc) that Carimi would work out. And Williams (also a previous #1 pick) was still with the team. One would think SOMEONE would have worked out.

FWIW, I would defend the choice of Jeffery every day to Tuesday as there is no question he will be a big contributer to the team in years to come and will be a complimentary WR to Marshall. To have gotten him in the 2nd round was a virtual steal for the Bears.

I couldn't agree more and what sold him to me was right after the draft was complete a friend of mine that is a packers fan actually called me and said he will be the steal of the 2012 draft once its all said and done and when it comes to drafts i listen to him. He has nothing better to do and generally speaking isn't wrong often. Give him another yr to work side by side with Marshall and learn what cutler wants hes going to be a very good #2 in this league

Hell, I'm the biggest advocate of OL, OL, OL and even I thought Jeffery was a steal at that moment. When BPA outweighs positional need, you have to go BPA.

But I still don't believe there wasn't a single OL player drafted after Jeffery who didn't grade out better than Webb. That's just BS. And if it is even remotely true, it's probably because most of the others didn't get to play. Had that hypothetical 2nd or 3rd round player come to the Bears, he likely beats out Webb in training camp (if given a fair chance), and there is no comparison in grade because no grade on Webb would have been available.

And if it is even remotely true, it's probably because most of the others didn't get to play. Had that hypothetical 2nd or 3rd round player come to the Bears, he likely beats out Webb in training camp (if given a fair chance), and there is no comparison in grade because no grade on Webb would have been available.

Yeah, that occurred to me. 2nd rounders aren't automatic starters.

Relistening to the interview, what Emery actually says is "there were no left tackles taken during that time that came out better than Jamarcus". "During that time" is vague, but does seem to refer to what was available when it was the Bears' turn to pick in the 2nd round. So he doesn't address the idea of trading up, nor does he justify the 1st round pick, though he says he'll talk about it later if anyone asks him about it. That Tribune site link just grinds for me and ChicagoBears.com doesn't have the end of the press conference, so I don't know what he eventually said about that 1st round pick.

Anyway, while Emery can't prove that any tackle taken at our 2nd round pick would not have been a better pick than Alshon, no one can prove there was a tackle that would have been a better pick either...at least not at this point in time, and that's a plus for Emery. Had Emery passed on some kid that ended up getting some offensive line rookie award on another team, that would've looked really bad.