Lovie Smith FIRED as HC

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Shanny and McCoy would be my preferred choices because they run zone blocking schemes which we've seen works wonders in the running game (Matt Forte-- Oh my) and Cutler having already been exposed to it in Denver. I also like Greg Roman who's name I wouldn't be surprised to see get brought up before it's all said and done. Bill Obrien would bring in that two TE scheme from the Patriots, and he turned a horrid quarterback from PSU and made him serviceable.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaplan indicates the following names on the Bears list (I don't have an issue with any of the below names):

Denver OC Mike McCoy

Wash OC Kyle Shanahan

Saints OC Pete Carmichael

PSU HC Bill O'Brien

O'Brien has a $9 Million buyout....I'd have to think he'd be a long shot due to that.

Shanahan is a name that hasn't gotten nearly enough credit for a job as he isn't just daddy's boy in Washington. He called the shots on offense in Houston for years and did a great job there.

McCoy will absolutely be a HC somewhere next year and it may very well be here.

O'Brien has a $9 Million buyout....I'd have to think he'd be a long shot due to that.

Shanahan is a name that hasn't gotten nearly enough credit for a job as he isn't just daddy's boy in Washington. He called the shots on offense in Houston for years and did a great job there.

I don't see O'Brien leaving PSU just yet. And I've heard from several sources that the redskins dont think either of there coordinators will leave for a HC job just yet

My God, you are alive, :D

Great to see you post! miss hearing from you.

Been very busy with my internet marketing trying to stay afloat. Have not had much time to post but come to the site daily to get caught up on my Bears' news.

Pix!!! My Talkbears sponsor and mentor. Good to hear from you again. And Bowling...welcome back! Happy New Years fellas.

Lovie already contacted by four teams.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-four-t...08665--nfl.html

So 4 out of Philadelphia Eagles, Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers, Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals. Buffalo and Arizona have similar defenses in terms of impact players and that is where Lovie is most interested. Peterson could be Lovie's new Hester, and the offense can be just as bad.

Our situation eerily mirrors that in Tampa under Dungy and that is why I Gruden in this case. I would go one step further and say I wouldn't be opposed to them keeping Marinelli as long as he is instructed to attack more and the add the recently resigned(from USC) Monte Kiffin as a defensive consultant.

A couple of years ago the Bears asked for permission to speak with then packer QB coach Tom Clements for the OC position but were turned down for whatever reason even though this would have been an upgrade in position. This is the guy who has worked with Rogers and helped him develop. I would see if he is willing to interview this time around for the HC position even though he has been an OC for just a year. Nothing has been said about this defensive staff at all and most of them should still be under contract for another year so maybe the new coach may have a chance to see if he wants to retain some of them. When the Bills fired Gailey they clearly stated that his staff was let go also.

I don't see O'Brien leaving PSU just yet. And I've heard from several sources that the redskins dont think either of there coordinators will leave for a HC job just yet

A couple issues with O'Brien...supposedly he was told when he was hired that the Sandusky matter would be only a criminal matter from that point, not an NCAA matter, and so the NCAA sanctions could give him a ready-made out clause. It's also unknown whether that buyout applies solely to colleges or to pro teams as well, so that could be another work-around.

Pix!!! My Talkbears sponsor and mentor. Good to hear from you again. And Bowling...welcome back! Happy New Years fellas.

Thanks Alaska. Starting to see alot of u are still here from when 1st joined. Thats been so long i forget how long its bee. I know it was on old board and i was still working with pix at that time. Man how time flys when u work so damn much

Until Shanahan got RG3, he wasnt looked on as anything special. I think McCoy looks like the best shot going forward, who knows if any succeed, lets just roll with it, and see what happens.

Until Shanahan got RG3, he wasnt looked on as anything special. I think McCoy looks like the best shot going forward, who knows if any succeed, lets just roll with it, and see what happens.

Hopefully...the Bears have their QB spot filled, whereas Washington was actually using Grossman there for a while under Shanahan.

Of course...I'm less confident that the Bears have their QB for the next coach's tenure than I was before this year.

Our situation eerily mirrors that in Tampa under Dungy and that is why I Gruden in this case. I would go one step further and say I wouldn't be opposed to them keeping Marinelli as long as he is instructed to attack more and the add the recently resigned(from USC) Monte Kiffin as a defensive consultant.

A couple of years ago the Bears asked for permission to speak with then packer QB coach Tom Clements for the OC position but were turned down for whatever reason even though this would have been an upgrade in position. This is the guy who has worked with Rogers and helped him develop. I would see if he is willing to interview this time around for the HC position even though he has been an OC for just a year. Nothing has been said about this defensive staff at all and most of them should still be under contract for another year so maybe the new coach may have a chance to see if he wants to retain some of them. When the Bills fired Gailey they clearly stated that his staff was let go also.

I have no issue with Marinelli sticking around and am very open to Clements. Good post.

This press conference from Emery is out of this world. Guy knows his stuff. Loved his 10 minute answer about the offensive line and how he goes about evaluating the position in the draft and with our own players.

Agree with you on that. He clearly is in charge and I'm happy about that. That press conference shuts me up.

Agree with you on that. He clearly is in charge and I'm happy about that. That press conference shuts me up.

I was thinking the same thing. He seemed to have complete power to make necessary changes and actually went into detailed plans of what he uses to help him identify guys. Giving a shout out to pff. Amazing stuff. I had me 1 yr ago when he went out and got marshall the drafted Jeffrey. Now i just want to see some improvement on oline to help cutler realize his vast potential. I came out of that thinking Bennett will be resihned and he will target gruden as coach. However i cant see gruden leaving espn yet

This press conference from Emery is out of this world. Guy knows his stuff. Loved his 10 minute answer about the offensive line and how he goes about evaluating the position in the draft and with our own players.

a few things he said about this teams offense and offensive line gave me reason to pause.

his reliance on this 'stat'? analysis to determine how our offensive linemen played was not what i wanted to hear. his assessment of webb, if i heard this correctly, was mindboggling. in my opinion this guy is the worst tackle in the nfl or close to it. how could you rate nearly anyone lower than him and not DRAFT someone even on a longshot pick to replace him?

his assessment of key offensive players (RB OR WR) seemed to eclipse the reality of how to build around the KEY, key player who is a qb and keep him HEALTHY. what good is it to have these 'key' type players if your quarterback is on IR and you are playing your third stringers? how can you make the qb position work efficiently with no running game due to poor run blocking? it's astounding this came out of his mouth.

he mentioned specifically our tackles needing consistency while saying we had adequate talent at our interior line. HUH???? you can't possibly be serious. we need not just one guard we need TWO and a freaking real CENTER!!! garza is average at BEST, louis is average at best and unknown, spencer would struggle to average and did he forget about chileo?

in another breath he lauded davis as our TE. how is that remotely possible?? what is this guy watching???

i am hoping this was just some lip service of not burning your bridges just yet but if not... whew, we still have some real problems in upper management.

I don't think he said he was relying on one stat to determine the success of a player. What he said was that sometimes it's hard to have an unbiased opinion on a guy that plays for the team you are managing, and having worked with some of the people down at STATS INC and Pro Football Focus, he was able to gather how some of those programmers view tape, and how they go about rating players based on facts and statistics. He trusts their statistics. That doesn't mean he doesn't evaluate the player himself.

He specifically mentioned the offensive line needs to get better, but at the same time pointing out that it's important to make sure you weigh these stats with how it impacts winning. The 49'ers are one of the best teams in football, yet they rank worse than the Bears did in terms of pass protection. He was using that as an example to cite that he doesn't feel like it's ALL about how an offensive line performs in that area that determines the outcome of football games.

I trust Phil Emery's opinion on Jamarcus Webb and Gabe Carimi a whole lot more than any of us. I happen to think Webb had a better year than most people want to give him credit for. I think he's an easy target and is seen as the scapegoat for the offenses inability to put up points. Emery also mentioned that drops and not utilizing Forte's ability to catch the ball played a huge part in that as well; pretty much took a shot at Mike Tice, and seemed angry just talking about it.

I don't think he said he was relying on one stat to determine the success of a player. What he said was that sometimes it's hard to have an unbiased opinion on a guy that plays for the team you are managing, and having worked with some of the people down at STATS INC and Pro Football Focus, he was able to gather how some of those programmers view tape, and how they go about rating players based on facts and statistics. He trusts their statistics. That doesn't mean he doesn't evaluate the player himself.

to me that is disturbing. how could you watch the tape over the last 3-5 years on this offensive line, how could you watch the games live this season and not be able to make a real unbiased judgement on how this offensive line is playing and the quality of the starting players??? even if it were your own brother on the field you have to call it like you see it. there is no bizzaro world or alternate universes to cloud your vision, it is what it is.

NOTE: i agree this stats inc. could be a valuable tool but my god, don't you rely on what you actually see?

He specifically mentioned the offensive line needs to get better, but at the same time pointing out that it's important to make sure you weigh these stats with how it impacts winning. The 49'ers are one of the best teams in football, yet they rank worse than the Bears did in terms of pass protection. He was using that as an example to cite that he doesn't feel like it's ALL about how an offensive line performs in that area that determines the outcome of football games.

in regards to the 49ers reference...

1. this stat quoted for pass protection is misleading as most stats can be without real individual context... who is the qb? how much experience? how much time has he to throw? how quick is his release? where is the pressure coming from? how often? how much pressure was from an individual game (competition)? how mobile is he? are injuries factored in to your line play? how young is your offensive line? how many knock downs? hurries? and on and on.

2. the bears are rated 16th in run blocking and in my opinion that is a stretch considering their 3rd and short statistics and their failure rate in the red zone.

do you know what the run blocking rating for the 49ers is? they are rated first in the nfl for run blocking. that goes a long way in comparing two different teams offensive lines and emery should know better than quoting such nonsense.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I trust Phil Emery's opinion on Jamarcus Webb and Gabe Carimi a whole lot more than any of us. I happen to think Webb had a better year than most people want to give him credit for. I think he's an easy target and is seen as the scapegoat for the offenses inability to put up points. Emery also mentioned that drops and not utilizing Forte's ability to catch the ball played a huge part in that as well.

sorry but i don't value anyones opinion higher than mine when i can see with my own eyes the reality of any situation. webb was not bad, he was horrendous. carimi was not bad, he was horrendous. whoever our left guards were were bad. garza was NOT good. if emery really believes that then welcome jerry angelo v 2.0 in regards to our offense.

summary: i DO like a lot of what emery has said and his attitude but some of this really has raised at least one red flag to go along with his draft which i consider not very good at this point. i know it will take time to fully evaluate it but to me picking a tweener DE in the first round and a whatever useless position rodruges (sp) is in the 4th round when we have REAL need for a center AND guards is simply unacceptable. this is true espcially since we cut clutts to bring this Hback or whatever he is into chicago for a limited nothing role that did NOTHING to help our offense.

Emery seemed very prepared and precise in what he is trying to do so imo I will see what he is going to really do before I pass judgement or speculate.His swift movement in letting Smith go is totally not status quo for this franchise.

i agree with your overall judgement on this but i HAD to comment on the red flags that are popping up.

I will give Emery a break on the last draft. He came in late and didn't have his scouting in place. He evaluated the line and said tackle was a top need but didnt see one in fa or the draft besides Scott that were an improvement. After this season, im sure he has a different thought. I have a feeling we will see an improvement on the line, finally.

I will give Emery a break on the last draft. He came in late and didn't have his scouting in place. He evaluated the line and said tackle was a top need but didnt see one in fa or the draft besides Scott that were an improvement. After this season, im sure he has a different thought. I have a feeling we will see an improvement on the line, finally.

i understand your feelings on this and although it IS too early to judge and in truth he didn't have the time or his scouts in place the reality is that he SHOULD have recognized the need on our OL as a top priority to protect our franchise player in cutler.

even IF every tackle on the board for 4 rounds was worse than webb (which i truly find impossible to believe) then a primo guard was the top priority EVEN in the first round and at the worst down to round 4. i will give him the #2 pick in a projected very good WR but even that pales to the reality of protecting your qb.

sorry but i don't value anyones opinion higher than mine when i can see with my own eyes the reality of any situation. webb was not bad, he was horrendous. carimi was not bad, he was horrendous. whoever our left guards were were bad. garza was NOT good. if emery really believes that then welcome jerry angelo v 2.0 in regards to our offense.

Riiight. Perception is reality for a lot of people. That's why most people aren't General Managers of NFL franchises.

Not everything can be measured with an eye test. Especially when it's coming from an eye of an someone that knows nothing about scouting or how to critique it correctly. Again, what Phil said is that he values everything on how it relates towards winning. The offensive line has to get better, but it is not the only reason for the offenses ineptitude. If it was all about pass protection, then there wouldn't be 3 teams rated worse than the Bears that are in the playoffs right now.

As for Jamarcus Webb and Carimi. I don't have the luxury of going to Pro football focus or STATS INC that can paint you a bigger picture on how a player is performing, but I do know that Webb only committed 6 penalties this year compared to 13 last year, and only allowed 9 sacks from 14 the year before. Gabe, I don't really have much good that I can say about him, based on the statistics available for free or what I saw on the field. I will differ to the real football aficionados on that one, of which I am not, and neither are you, no matter how great you think your eye is.

I was thinking the same thing. He seemed to have complete power to make necessary changes and actually went into detailed plans of what he uses to help him identify guys. Giving a shout out to pff. Amazing stuff. I had me 1 yr ago when he went out and got marshall the drafted Jeffrey. Now i just want to see some improvement on oline to help cutler realize his vast potential. I came out of that thinking Bennett will be resihned and he will target gruden as coach. However i cant see gruden leaving espn yet

I think Bennett is still under contract. I thought it was last year where they signed him to an extension.