Emery press conference

ASHKUM BEAR

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#story/chi-em...-move-20130101/

Thought he was clear and has a vision on the type of upbeat coach he is looking for. Forget the 3-4, he would have to be convinced this current roster can be converted for that. He wants a coach that can be creative and make plays that fit the talent we have.

He clearly wants somebody that exudes not only confidence, but someone that brings energy and passion to the franchise. I also think he took a little dig at Lovie about getting a coach that represents himself well in the media.

I'm excited about the future of the Bears after watching that press conference today. Emery has my full confidence right now, that he can get the job done. The guy obviously knows what he wants and how to go about doing it. Watching him read off statistics on specific players, whether it be in last year's draft, guys on our own team, or guys around the league, he was about as good as you could have possibly imagined. People should be excited that we have a real GM with a plan.

He clearly wants somebody that exudes not only confidence, but someone that brings energy and passion to the franchise. I also think he took a little dig at Lovie about getting a coach that represents himself well in the media.

I'm excited about the future of the Bears after watching that press conference today. Emery has my full confidence right now, that he can get the job done. The guy obviously knows what he wants and how to go about doing it. Watching him read off statistics on specific players, whether it be in last year's draft, guys on our own team, or guys around the league, he was about as good as you could have possibly imagined. People should be excited that we have a real GM with a plan.

Agree, he was rattling off stats from stats inc on how the oline performed and why we did or didn't make moves. I think we can expect this team to be similiar but with a higher energy guy that is more upbeat and has the offensive mind to build plays with the players we have. Ex more pass plays to Forte.

He also stated how all of are assistant coaches are still under contract. So the new coach can retain them if wanted. He said that was important because its hard in the nfl to get assistant coaches in the nfl unless they are promoted and not moved laterally.

Agree, he was rattling off stats from stats inc on how the oline performed and why we did or didn't make moves. I think we can expect this team to be similiar but with a higher energy guy that is more upbeat and has the offensive mind to build plays with the players we have. Ex more pass plays to Forte.

He also stated how all of are assistant coaches are still under contract. So the new coach can retain them if wanted. He said that was important because its hard in the nfl to get assistant coaches in the nfl unless they are promoted and not moved laterally.

Outstanding press conference. A huge difference from Angelo. Now let's see if his actions match his words.

Peace :dabears

Outstanding press conference. A huge difference from Angelo. Now let's see if his actions match his words.

Peace :dabears

I agree CB, at least this gives us some direction he wants to move in. I personally liked what he was saying and agreed with the reasons of what has been missing from this team. Most importantly he wants to win now ! I don't about you guys but Jon Gruden sure sounds like who he is describing. Also there is a name I don't here mentioning. And that's Tom Clements who over the years the bears have tried to get but GB has denied all requests. Tom has worked with all kinds of offenses and not just with GB's current scheme.

Happy New Year !

I agree with everyone who has watched / listened to the press conference. Emery was very impressive and answered all questions presented to him with good solid responses, detailed and direct. I came away very confident that he has total control over the situation.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#story/chi-em...-move-20130101/

Thought he was clear and has a vision on the type of upbeat coach he is looking for. Forget the 3-4, he would have to be convinced this current roster can be converted for that. He wants a coach that can be creative and make plays that fit the talent we have.

in my opinion this is not a good idea in regards to the 3-4 or the 4-3. no matter what coach you decide to go with is for the long haul. to limit a coach because of the immediate roster does not fit a specific scheme is not the way to make this important of a decision.

I agree CB, at least this gives us some direction he wants to move in. I personally liked what he was saying and agreed with the reasons of what has been missing from this team. Most importantly he wants to win now ! I don't about you guys but Jon Gruden sure sounds like who he is describing. Also there is a name I don't here mentioning. And that's Tom Clements who over the years the bears have tried to get but GB has denied all requests. Tom has worked with all kinds of offenses and not just with GB's current scheme.

Happy New Year !

I'm pretty sure they blocked us from Clements due to it not being a HC job.... I do not think they would block him from interviewing for a HC opening.

I'm pretty sure they blocked us from Clements due to it not being a HC job.... I do not think they would block him from interviewing for a HC opening.

I could be wrong, but doesn't the NFL say interviews are not deniable when its a move up?

Emery mentioned the qualities he's looking for in a coach:

-Energetic

-Good with the media

-24/7 committment

-Can be a quirky personality

-Exudes excellence

-Money is no option

Who does this sound like?

Jon Gruden

Just like the Marshall trade came out of no where,Emery's press conference and comment that he is going to look at a wide range of candidates including college coaches will send the media in a lot of directions and allow him to operate in the stealth manner that he prefers. I just know the candidates that are not currently coaching don't need to have permission to interview with the team.

in my opinion this is not a good idea in regards to the 3-4 or the 4-3. no matter what coach you decide to go with is for the long haul. to limit a coach because of the immediate roster does not fit a specific scheme is not the way to make this important of a decision.

He said he wasn't opposed, but it would take convincing. He said they ran a true 3-4 in KC, and that takes a big NT and two big DEs that we don't have. Now there are hybrids that may work but with our current roster transforming to a true 3-4 would not make much sense unless the potential coach has a great transformation plan.

-Energetic

-Good with the media

-24/7 committment

-Exudes excellence

-Money is no option

Jon Gruden

It did sound a lot like Jon Gruden. Though I think one could also say it sounded like any young, hungry HC that's out there with an opportunity to interview. I was particularly interested in his comments about the Shannahan's, and while he didn't really get into Kyle specifically, he did mention his name in reference to his dad Mike, who used to call his own plays, and then his next sentence was something like "There still might be some younger guys out there that are coaching in the playoffs that we might want to talk to."

He said he wasn't opposed, but it would take convincing. He said they ran a true 3-4 in KC, and that takes a big NT and two big DEs that we don't have. Now there are hybrids that may work but with our current roster transforming to a true 3-4 would not make much sense unless the potential coach has a great transformation plan.

I think a Peppers-Paea-Melton line could work in s 3-4. Paea is not THAT big but he's got incredible strength and can pack on some more pounds.

I'm not advocating it but I think it'd work.

i agree that it may take a transition into a 3-4 and i am not even indicating that i would want to go that way. but if there is a killer head coach (cowher) or a DC that a new coach would choose i believe it is not in our best interest not to go that route or limit it in any way because of our current roster.

our defense quite frankly is OLD. anybody blowing up our D to change it over or make it a slow transition to that can't be far off the mark as of 2013. we have no real big playmakers on defense under 30. they will be gone within 2 years anyway by attrition.

Guest TerraTor
I think a Peppers-Paea-Melton line could work in s 3-4. Paea is not THAT big but he's got incredible strength and can pack on some more pounds.

I would like that, but we only have 1 starting caliber LB on this team at the moment

Melton could not play DE in a 3-4.

Assuming we are able to resign him, where would he play in a 3-4?

I do not want to see us rebuilding the entire defense for the next 2-3 years. I want success this year! I think that is what Emery was also getting at when he suggested it would not be his first choice of moves to make.

My only problem with Emery's answer on switching to a 3-4 is that in talking about the 2 gap scheme he ran in KC, he also brought up other one gap schemes that he says 'teams call it a 3-4'. Well.. My question is, why couldn't we run a one gap 3-4 then if it meant not having to draft a nose tackle? The difference between one gap and two gap is the former relies more on speed and quickness, which we seem to already have, rather than size and girth required to play in a 2 gap scheme.

-Energetic

-Good with the media

-24/7 committment

-Exudes excellence

-Money is no option

Jon Gruden

I would say that is Gruden first, then maybe someone like Cowher, who also gets pretty energetic.

Melton could not play DE in a 3-4.

Assuming we are able to resign him, where would he play in a 3-4?

I do not want to see us rebuilding the entire defense for the next 2-3 years. I want success this year! I think that is what Emery was also getting at when he suggested it would not be his first choice of moves to make.

What makes you think that? I know it's not ridiculous to think that nor do I think it's ridiculous to think he can be a fit there. I'm actually kinda surprised he's not already used there occasionally. The guys a former RB at Texas so he's got some wheels on him.

In a 3-4 you want a big DE and I think Melton could be just that

Edit- I guess the answer to my question would probably be his height right?