Walter Football Mock

Guest TerraTor

No one says Kelce would replace Rodriguez. Now, teams have 2 pass catching TE's.

What's your ideal mock draft?

Two pass-catching TEs on the Bears does not compute.

Difficult question. Ideal. Ideal and realistic is probably a better way to tackle the issue. I like the idea of starting with Barrett Jones and DJ Fluker, as posted in the other thread, but after that it's difficult to say. And it also, obviously, depends on FA moves. I don't expect the Bears to sit still in FA. It all depends on which players drop.

But if I were forced to throw one out there, it would be a draft with ideas of long-term instead of short term. It would be the first year of a transition from a stagnant, defensive-minded team to a high-powered, offensive juggernaut. Year two of my "plan" would give a better indication of what changes needed to be made on the other side of the ball. But since D is the obvious strength, the O needs major help this year. That's one of the things that kills me about all these mocks and everyone saying MLB early. The D was pretty good. The O was atrocious. Why not try to fix the O instead of putting the cherry on top of the D? And, it should go without saying, but I'm sick and tired of this OL being nickel and dimed, costing the franchise offensive output and wins, and keeping the talent of the skill players largely untapped.

1 - Jones, OG, Bama - Stud. Immediately starts at OG.

2 - Fluker, OT, Bama - Stud. Immediately starts at LT, puts Webb's ass on the bench where it belongs.

4 - Collin Klein, QB, KST - It's high time the Bears invested in QB, coached one up, and did what other successful franchises have done.

5 - Ryan Swope, WR, TX A&M - This dude is always open. I watched several of their games this year, and even when he doesn't get the ball he's wide open.

6 - Marcus Lattimore, RB, SC - HUGE upside here. 6th rounders typicall do nothing anyway, so might as well take a chance.

7 - Mario Benavides, OC, Louisville - He's tough, but a little injury prone. Very high upside here. I wouldn't mind James Ferentz, OC, Iowa, here either.

**edit - I made a mistake when I was tossing around ideas. Fluker is supposed to be a RT, so he goes there. Carimi is supposed to be a LT, so he goes there. Either way, Webb's ass is on the bench.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult question. Ideal. Ideal and realistic is probably a better way to tackle the issue. I like the idea of starting with Barrett Jones and DJ Fluker, as posted in the other thread, but after that it's difficult to say. And it also, obviously, depends on FA moves. I don't expect the Bears to sit still in FA. It all depends on which players drop.

But if I were forced to throw one out there, it would be a draft with ideas of long-term instead of short term. It would be the first year of a transition from a stagnant, defensive-minded team to a high-powered, offensive juggernaut. Year two of my "plan" would give a better indication of what changes needed to be made on the other side of the ball. But since D is the obvious strength, the O needs major help this year. That's one of the things that kills me about all these mocks and everyone saying MLB early. The D was pretty good. The O was atrocious. Why not try to fix the O instead of putting the cherry on top of the D? And, it should go without saying, but I'm sick and tired of this OL being nickel and dimed, costing the franchise offensive output and wins, and keeping the talent of the skill players largely untapped.

2 - Fluker, OT, Bama - Stud. Immediately starts at LT, puts Webb's ass on the bench where it belongs.

4 - Collin Klein, QB, KST - It's high time the Bears invested in QB, coached one up, and did what other successful franchises have done.

5 - Ryan Swope, WR, TX A&M - This dude is always open. I watched several of their games this year, and even when he doesn't get the ball he's wide open.

6 - Marcus Lattimore, RB, SC - HUGE upside here. 6th rounders typicall do nothing anyway, so might as well take a chance.

7 - Mario Benavides, OC, Louisville - He's tough, but a little injury prone. Very high upside here. I wouldn't mind James Ferentz, OC, Iowa, here either.

Marcus lattimore in 6th. Damn is all i can say. Absolute stud when health. Major red flags with injuries but to get him in 6th could be major steal

Where are you spending your free agency money in your ideal offseason Jason?

I'm not as keen on the spending issues with the salary cap as I'd like to be. That's why I generally don't comment on those types of threads/conversations except to speak in generalities. But a quick search on KFFL turned up the list of FAs for the Bears. Of course, all this changes when/if the Bears go into the offseason with an idea of actually targeting a high-priced OLineman. Otherwise...

Must sign:

Henry Melton - FA priority #1

Brian Urlacher - FA priority #2, a "you can retire a Chicago Bear"-contract, that shouldn't get ridiculous

Lance Louis - Should get a discount since he's coming off massive injury

Should sign:

Israel Idonije - Discounted since he's probably #3 or #4 on the depth chart next year at DE

D.J. Moore - Very underrated in my opinion

Jonathan Scott - Stepped up at the end of the year, shouldn't be pricey

Nick Roach - Serviceable vet LB who knows the system

Sign if possible, but drop if they get pricey:

QB Jason Campbell UFA

OG Chris Spencer UFA

CB Zackary BowmanUFA

RB Armando Allen ERFA

WR Johnny Knox UFA

Cut their asses

QB Josh McCown UFA

WR Joe Anderson UFA

WR Devin Thomas UFA

PK Olindo Mare UFA

OG Chilo Rachal UFA

DL Amobi Okoye UFA

LB Geno Hayes UFA

CB Kelvin Hayden UFA

FS Anthony Walters RFA

Not sure that I agree with this sentiment. Cutler is no doubt a strong passer and with Marshall and Jeffery doing the outside and deep parts you need more options for short and over the middle.

Funny how we seem to think similarly in this regards. I agree that the team won't "sit still" for FA but how far will they go? Blockbuster (Long - Miami) or whimper (Otah)?

**edit - I made a mistake when I was tossing around ideas. Fluker is supposed to be a RT, so he goes there. Carimi is supposed to be a LT, so he goes there. Either way, Webb's ass is on the bench.

I have to admit, I MIGHT be ok with this draft but I'm curious, weren't you one of the folks that fried me for talking about Klein as an eventual Bears QB not all that long ago?

I was wondering if Jones was drafted, would the Bears make him a Center, and then lock down that position for the next decade (ala Olin)? Which position is more valuable to stabilize, G or C?

I think with jones i would ask him which position he feels most comfortable at. Hes proven at bama that he can handle any position and face tough competition

Guest TerraTor

Thats awful

Guest TerraTor
I think with jones i would ask him which position he feels most comfortable at. Hes proven at bama that he can handle any position and face tough competition

Bears take a C in the first round? Really

I have to admit, I MIGHT be ok with this draft but I'm curious, weren't you one of the folks that fried me for talking about Klein as an eventual Bears QB not all that long ago?

I doubt it. But if I was, it was probably due to extenuating circumstances. You probably added a caveat I didn't like (e.g. trade/release Cutler) or drafted him higher than I would have liked. In general, however, I believe the Bears have been woefully inept at drafting and developing QB talent. And it's the primary reason why we searched for a QB for 20 years.

Give it a break.

Roach and Url are not under contract. You know Hayes is horrible as well. So we do have ONE starting LB, a backup that sucks and an untested guy.

Not saying we draft LB in the first, hell no for safety.

BTW - Briggs is NOT what he used to be and he aint gettin any younger either.

If contract status was included in the idea that there is "only one starting LB on the roster", then it's technically correct. But I don't buy it because there is no way in hell the Bears have a near overhaul with the LBs, keeping only Briggs because he's under contract. I fully expect Urlacher to be back, and probably Roach.

It's funny that this is not even considered for those who want to draft LB early, but in nearly every discussion about the OL everyone says something about the need for continuity. As a former defensive guy, I'd say continuity is just as important, if not more important, for LBs than it is for OL. The reasoning is simple: LBs have to react more than the OL, the OL dictates action by their first movement.

Thats awful

It's only awful because you hate the idea of OL early. It's philosophical. I can appreciate it. But I think you're dead wrong. You, and the other anti-OL guys, pretend like other teams just cut their studs in the offseason on a regular basis.

"Yeah, I know you're a completely healthy third year player and went to the probowl as a LT the last two years, but we're gonna let you go." - Said no GM, ever.

Your solution requires the same solution every two or three years, because that FA vet you hope to squeeze a few years out of, is much closer to retirement (see: John Tait, Rueben Brown) and/or uselessness (see: Fred Miller, Orlando Pace). There is no possibility of sustained success. There is literally no upside.

It's time to stop playing checkers with the OL; it's time to play chess.

I doubt it. But if I was, it was probably due to extenuating circumstances. You probably added a caveat I didn't like (e.g. trade/release Cutler) or drafted him higher than I would have liked. In general, however, I believe the Bears have been woefully inept at drafting and developing QB talent. And it's the primary reason why we searched for a QB for 20 years.

Nov 19 on Talkbears under the heading "Collin Klein":

Me - "I know, I know, I decry the very idea of "mock drafts" but just finished reading the referenced Sports Illustrated article about the QB for the currently #1 ranked Wildcats. Base on it he seems he would be a fantastic pick for a town like Chicago. And "they" are expecting him not to go early on drafts... So why not?

Please don't tell me "we need OL help"."

You - "Horrible idea. And since you don't want me to tell you why, I'll leave the thread."

However, in true "Jason" fashion, you couldn't resist....

Same string, your sidekick (in this case) Brian Bear joins in...

Brian Bear - "This just has to be a joke."

BB - "Right?"

You - "Sadly, I'm sure it's not. Same thing every year...distracted by the pretty, shiny things and the functional, dirty things get ignored."

And later, this in a reply to me:

You - "Call it what you want, but anyone who wants to draft a QB for the Bears this year, unless it's a late round pick, doesn't have a damn clue about football. QB is probably lower than 10th on the list of needs for the Bears. "

We continue to banter (at some point the word "sub-moronic" is used) and I continue to attempt to impress to you that I never said anything about a 1st round pick and conceded (after his team had just lost the 1st place ranking) that he should be looked at for later rounds. However, just by what you wrote more recently above you indicate that the QB could be addressed as early as the fourth round, certainly higher than the "10th item on the list". There were no strings attached or "extenuating circumstances" in our exchange. Nor did I suggest a "caveat" of releasing/trading Cutler for the opportunity.

I think the Fiesta Bowl proved that Klein is 3-4 years, maybe never, away from being a quality NFL starter. However, my "this has to be a joke" comment then came from the fact that Klein in the 4th isn't worth it if you can draft what you think is a starting NFL player, particularly OL, right off the bat.

Nov 19 on Talkbears under the heading "Collin Klein":

Me - "I know, I know, I decry the very idea of "mock drafts" but just finished reading the referenced Sports Illustrated article about the QB for the currently #1 ranked Wildcats. Base on it he seems he would be a fantastic pick for a town like Chicago. And "they" are expecting him not to go early on drafts... So why not?

Please don't tell me "we need OL help"."

You - "Horrible idea. And since you don't want me to tell you why, I'll leave the thread."

However, in true "Jason" fashion, you couldn't resist....

Same string, your sidekick (in this case) Brian Bear joins in...

Brian Bear - "This just has to be a joke."

BB - "Right?"

You - "Sadly, I'm sure it's not. Same thing every year...distracted by the pretty, shiny things and the functional, dirty things get ignored."

And later, this in a reply to me:

You - "Call it what you want, but anyone who wants to draft a QB for the Bears this year, unless it's a late round pick, doesn't have a damn clue about football. QB is probably lower than 10th on the list of needs for the Bears. "

We continue to banter (at some point the word "sub-moronic" is used) and I continue to attempt to impress to you that I never said anything about a 1st round pick and conceded (after his team had just lost the 1st place ranking) that he should be looked at for later rounds. However, just by what you wrote more recently above you indicate that the QB could be addressed as early as the fourth round, certainly higher than the "10th item on the list". There were no strings attached or "extenuating circumstances" in our exchange. Nor did I suggest a "caveat" of releasing/trading Cutler for the opportunity.

Way to misconstrue things. From the thread:

You: And for the record, I never said I "don't want to improve the O-line" just that it's a wasted pick at 1 or 2.

See, that right there implies exactly what I thought you meant, an early pick, 1st or 2nd. And the time you posted this was when his draft stock was incredibly high, demanding a pick like that. If we disagree on what constitutes a late round pick, so be it. You could go back on this board from its inception and see I have always been a proponent of drafting QB consistently. Always have been. Just like I said in that thread.

And if you go back to that thread, you'll notice I didn't post again once you conceded the late round draft pick aspect.

Try again.

Way to misconstrue things. From the thread:

You: And for the record, I never said I "don't want to improve the O-line" just that it's a wasted pick at 1 or 2.

See, that right there implies exactly what I thought you meant, an early pick, 1st or 2nd. And the time you posted this was when his draft stock was incredibly high, demanding a pick like that. If we disagree on what constitutes a late round pick, so be it. You could go back on this board from its inception and see I have always been a proponent of drafting QB consistently. Always have been. Just like I said in that thread.

And if you go back to that thread, you'll notice I didn't post again once you conceded the late round draft pick aspect.

Try again.

You mean OL?

I think the Fiesta Bowl proved that Klein is 3-4 years, maybe never, away from being a quality NFL starter. However, my "this has to be a joke" comment then came from the fact that Klein in the 4th isn't worth it if you can draft what you think is a starting NFL player, particularly OL, right off the bat.

So explain, if I draft a"starting NFL player...right off the bat" I would assume you mean somewhere in the first round or two? Why then would picking Klein in the fourth be not "worth it"? Especially if he's not going to be ready in 3-4 years? The team has Cutler. Shouldnt you have some developmental player (QB) on the roster? Especially with a new head coach who will probably be offense oriented?

So explain, if I draft a"starting NFL player...right off the bat" I would assume you mean somewhere in the first round or two? Why then would picking Klein in the fourth be not "worth it"? Especially if he's not going to be ready in 3-4 years? The team has Cutler. Shouldnt you have some developmental player (QB) on the roster? Especially with a new head coach who will probably be offense oriented?

The Colts drafted 5 starters in 2012, with Luck, Allen, Fleener, Hilton, and Ballard. Even LaVon Brazil gets some snaps. The Bears could do the same, in theory. Use a 6th or 7th on a QB.