If we dont pick up anybody in FAgency(draft)

Stinger226

Lets say we pick up nobody in FAgency, then who should we draft.

Our weaknesses are OL,OL,OL, TE, MLB. so lets do a draft.

#1 Lane Johnson/OT/Oak A slight drop below the top 2 but worthy of a pick here, will not make it out of the first round.

#2 Larry Warford/OG/Ken A load for a guard with a good pick at 2

#4 Travis Kelce/TE/Cinn A good pass catching TE

#5 Jake Johnson/MLB/Sou Ala A highly productive small school player with speed and production that could be a steal drafted here.

#6 David Bass/DE/MWS Another highly productive small school player, drafting this low, you take a chance

Conclusion- we needed to up grade Left side of OL, two rookie starters there not desirable be would still be better than what we had. then we resign Louis and Scott for right side(our own FAs)

a pass catching TE to go with Evan

a MLB and DE to add to mix.

#1 Lane Johnson/OT/Oak A slight drop below the top 2 but worthy of a pick here, will not make it out of the first round.

#5 Jake Johnson/MLB/Sou Ala A highly productive small school player with speed and production that could be a steal drafted here.

#6 David Bass/DE/MWS Another highly productive small school player, drafting this low, you take a chance

Conclusion- we needed to up grade Left side of OL, two rookie starters there not desirable be would still be better than what we had. then we resign Louis and Scott for right side(our own FAs)

I'm mixed on this. I like the attention to the OL, but disagree with who would eventually end up starting. You simply can't give up on Carimi already. That's crazy. And I'm also not keen on a TE in the 4th, particularly when the Rodriguez is a TE who was drafted in the 4th. I'd prefer to see LB in the 4th, Rodriguez playing TE, and Carimi in the OL starting lineup.

I would love to get both Johnson and warford but i dont see warford falling to us in 2nd unless we trade up to grab him

I would love to get both Johnson and warford but i dont see warford falling to us in 2nd unless we trade up to grab him

You may be right. here are 4 sites I check out for draft info that I like; NFL draftcountdown, GBND, Walters and Draft Tex they have him rated 88,47,41 and 79.

so I think it is possible he could be there. I think in the first round of the draft there will be a run on DE and OLB. with 6 OLs picked there the top of the 2nd round there will be a run on QBs,WRs, and some RBs so he will be there for us.

I'm mixed on this. I like the attention to the OL, but disagree with who would eventually end up starting. You simply can't give up on Carimi already. That's crazy. And I'm also not keen on a TE in the 4th, particularly when the Rodriguez is a TE who was drafted in the 4th. I'd prefer to see LB in the 4th, Rodriguez playing TE, and Carimi in the OL starting lineup.

Havent given up on him, but we cant keep trying to redo our Oline with the same bodies. Our OLine with have two new guys with Garza at center. Brown, Carmi,Webb, Louis and Scott will be around to help formulate a new line. Brown may very well be able to take the step up and start at LG, but we dont know that yet. Carmi may be able to get stronger this off season without having to deal with an injury and be able to start fresh with a new line coach.

So here is what I see happening, which this tread had a different flavor:

I think we go after a LT in FAgency Bushrod hopefully, we draft a guard to add to the mix, and still add another draftee to the mix. We bring back Scott and Louis, Carmi and Webb still hang aroud, then Garza stays.

so our line consists of LT (FA) Bushrod? or drafted LT Johnson? as of now he is not on our team. I think Webb becomes the swing tackle

LG drafted player Warford, or hold over Brown. Spencer will be gone

C Garza and a drafted or UDFA for the backup (Edwin Williams) still on team?

RG Louis is resigned or maybe Carmi steps up

RT Scott resigned or maybe Carmi takes his job back of whick Scott becomes the swing tackle and we let go of Webb.

Our OL group Bushrod(hopefully)or drafted(LT Johnson) maybe , Scott(RT), swing tackle Webb? Garza for center, Brown or rookie starting at LG, LouisRG with Carmi in the mix. If Carmi comes back strong, think he will start at RT and then we cut Webb and Scott becomes swing tackle. E. Williams then hangs around as backup C and backup G.

I would go OT, OC, LB, LB and speed reciever.

It's mentioned NOT giving up on Carimi and I agree. Even more so, Webb should not be given up on, as I think he has the most upside of any OL on our roster. Not only did he vastly improve from last season, he also improved as the season progressed. As a matter of fact, ever since Cutler ripped his ass.

Assuming we sign Scott and Louis. Tackles would be Draftee, Webb, Carimi and Scott. (Three young "up and comers" and a solid vet) Guards would be Garza, Louis and one of the tackles. Center would be a draftee with Garza backing up.

I would go OT, OC, LB, LB and speed reciever.

It's mentioned NOT giving up on Carimi and I agree. Even more so, Webb should not be given up on, as I think he has the most upside of any OL on our roster. Not only did he vastly improve from last season, he also improved as the season progressed. As a matter of fact, ever since Cutler ripped his ass.

Assuming we sign Scott and Louis. Tackles would be Draftee, Webb, Carimi and Scott. (Three young "up and comers" and a solid vet) Guards would be Garza, Louis and one of the tackles. Center would be a draftee with Garza backing up.

two new guys and let the cards fall as they may, would be ok with that.

I know there has been a lot of talk about drafting Url's replacement in the 1st Round....but there hasn't been much of talk of grabbing a MLB in the 2nd on this board.

Lavonte David sure looks like a mainstay for Tampa at MLB and there have been several others that have thrived after being taken in the 2nd Round to start at MLB (Ryans, Tatupu, Laurinaitis).

What are some of the options that could be there in RD 2 when we're up?

I also feel like Warmack could fall to us at 20 after DeCastro fell to #24 to Pitt last year.

I know there has been a lot of talk about drafting Url's replacement in the 1st Round....but there hasn't been much of talk of grabbing a MLB in the 2nd on this board.

Lavonte David sure looks like a mainstay for Tampa at MLB and there have been several others that have thrived after being taken in the 2nd Round to start at MLB (Ryans, Tatupu, Laurinaitis).

I also feel like Warmack could fall to us at 20 after DeCastro fell to #24 to Pitt last year.

Minter MIGHT make it to us in the 2nd but you can't really bank on it. Nicco Johnson is the only other guy that is projected to go in the 2nd and he was a rotational player at Bama only playing in obvious running situations. If they stick with the same type of system a MLB that's not good against the pass wouldn't work.

Not a lot of impact LBs this year which is why a lot of people are suggesting getting one in the 1st. If they don't get one in the first they may as well trade down in the 2nd but then all youre really getting is a prospect at that point.

A lot of guys getting the "Will look perfect in a 3-4" label....

Guest TerraTor

If this is how the Brass decides to fix the OL. Next year will be exactly the same. Sign the best OT available and build around him. We all already know what happens when u draft a later pick rookie to anchor the OL and he turns out as shit... Hell, I wouldnt even mind Cherilus

Guest TerraTor

I have Skov in the 2nd in my drafts..

Guest TerraTor
Havent given up on him, but we cant keep trying to redo our Oline with the same bodies. Our OLine with have two new guys with Garza at center. Brown, Carmi,Webb, Louis and Scott will be around to help formulate a new line. Brown may very well be able to take the step up and start at LG, but we dont know that yet. Carmi may be able to get stronger this off season without having to deal with an injury and be able to start fresh with a new line coach.

So here is what I see happening, which this tread had a different flavor:

I think we go after a LT in FAgency Bushrod hopefully, we draft a guard to add to the mix, and still add another draftee to the mix. We bring back Scott and Louis, Carmi and Webb still hang aroud, then Garza stays.

so our line consists of LT (FA) Bushrod? or drafted LT Johnson? as of now he is not on our team. I think Webb becomes the swing tackle

LG drafted player Warford, or hold over Brown. Spencer will be gone

C Garza and a drafted or UDFA for the backup (Edwin Williams) still on team?

RG Louis is resigned or maybe Carmi steps up

RT Scott resigned or maybe Carmi takes his job back of whick Scott becomes the swing tackle and we let go of Webb.

Our OL group Bushrod(hopefully)or drafted(LT Johnson) maybe , Scott(RT), swing tackle Webb? Garza for center, Brown or rookie starting at LG, LouisRG with Carmi in the mix. If Carmi comes back strong, think he will start at RT and then we cut Webb and Scott becomes swing tackle. E. Williams then hangs around as backup C and backup G.

Webb is an instant cut. Its a disgrace he gets a paycheck in this economy

If this is how the Brass decides to fix the OL. Next year will be exactly the same. Sign the best OT available and build around him. We all already know what happens when u draft a later pick rookie to anchor the OL and he turns out as shit... Hell, I wouldnt even mind Cherilus

Please refer to the previous analogy of sex. Just because you did it poorly the first two times doesn't mean you should stop.

No, when you draft OL and have real scouts who can actually identify talent, THAT is how you build a line. The 49ers didn't sign some guy for $12m/year. They took Davis, Staley and Iupati. The Bears should do it this way. You can sign a few OL but no real good OL hit the market typically. Sign depth, draft starters.

No, when you draft OL and have real scouts who can actually identify talent, THAT is how you build a line. The 49ers didn't sign some guy for $12m/year. They took Davis, Staley and Iupati. The Bears should do it this way. You can sign a few OL but no real good OL hit the market typically. Sign depth, draft starters.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Pre-draft information on both Williams and Carimi. (Which were 1st round draft talent...pre-draft).

Williams: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...8&genpos=OT

Carimi: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...1&genpos=OT

The analogy used previously does not correlate to what happened here. It should be more 'You got laid twice and caught the crabs both times, so should you try it again?'

Hindsight is always 20/20. Pre-draft information on both Williams and Carimi. (Which were 1st round draft talent...pre-draft).

The analogy used previously does not correlate to what happened here. It should be more 'You got laid twice and caught the crabs both times, so should you try it again?'

Agreed. Good extension.

I'm pretty sure we're in agreement. The good OL's in the NFL weren't put together via FA. They were drafted, hence the reason no good linemen ever hit the market.

I'm pretty sure we're in agreement. The good OL's in the NFL weren't put together via FA. They were drafted, hence the reason no good linemen ever hit the market.

Well not to be technical with you Brian but all (or most at least) good OL's and the men within were probably drafted. But we don't really agree..per se.

Using our own Bears as an example:

2006 team (the one that last made it to the Super Bowl) made up of OLmen including Ruben Brown, John Tait, Roberto Garza and Fred Miller. All of which were not drafted by the Bears but signed as FA's.

1985 team (the last team before '06 that went to the Super Bowl) actually two (LT Covert and RT Van Horne) were drafted in round 1 and the other three were not; LG Bortz (drafted round 8), Center Hilgenburg (not drafted) and RG Thayer (drafted round 4).

The example of "crabs" I gave was in deference, not in agreement, to the anology of the "sex" one earlier offered up. Like Terra Tor I'm a little skeptical at drafting OL in the first round....Unless you get that Barret Jones from Alabama.

Well not to be technical with you Brian but all (or most at least) good OL's and the men within were probably drafted. But we don't really agree..per se.

Using our own Bears as an example:

2006 team (the one that last made it to the Super Bowl) made up of OLmen including Ruben Brown, John Tait, Roberto Garza and Fred Miller. All of which were not drafted by the Bears but signed as FA's.

1985 team (the last team before '06 that went to the Super Bowl) actually two (LT Covert and RT Van Horne) were drafted in round 1 and the other three were not; LG Bortz (drafted round 8), Center Hilgenburg (not drafted) and RG Thayer (drafted round 4).

The example of "crabs" I gave was in deference, not in agreement, to the anology of the "sex" one earlier offered up. Like Terra Tor I'm a little skeptical at drafting OL in the first round....Unless you get that Barret Jones from Alabama.

If we idenify a good OL in the first round, we just need to take him. Most all good LTs in the league were 1st round picks. Sure there is a lot of misses, but that is still the best way to get them.

If we idenify a good OL in the first round, we just need to take him. Most all good LTs in the league were 1st round picks. Sure there is a lot of misses, but that is still the best way to get them.

And they're usually top 15 picks....

last years top 5 LTs

Joe Thomas- #3 overall

Jake Long- #1

Ryan Clady- #12

Jordan Gross-#8

D'Brickashaw Ferguson-#4

I always sound like a broken record but IMO, Joeckel and Fisher are the only sure thing next decade type of players. Johnson is a toss up. They have money to get a guy like Bushrod so why not use it on our obvious biggest need? Draft a middle round backup T and let Kromar go to work on him like he's done with all the mid rounders in Nola

And they're usually top 15 picks....

last years top 5 LTs

Joe Thomas- #3 overall

Jake Long- #1

Ryan Clady- #12

Jordan Gross-#8

D'Brickashaw Ferguson-#4

I always sound like a broken record but IMO, Joeckel and Fisher are the only sure thing next decade type of players. Johnson is a toss up. They have money to get a guy like Bushrod so why not use it on our obvious biggest need? Draft a middle round backup T and let Kromar go to work on him like he's done with all the mid rounders in Nola

I think Lane Johnson is the next Joe Staley.