Roach gone

Stinger226

Well, now that's officially 2 starting LB positions the Bears need to fill before the end of this offseason.

Its ok, they have a chance to upgrade the positions. I see Daryl Smith coming here for the same money Roach was going to get. He has a relationship with Tucker. Mark that down as an upgrade.

I think this paves the way for the Bears to sign Urlacher for another year (likely a 2yr deal the team can get out of). Roach got $3-4mil/yr and there was no way the Bears would go there. Roach was an ok player but he wasn't worth that. I might be in the minority but I prefer having Urlacher leading the defense (I don't think he'll be as hobbled as last year) than Roach....for the right price. I expect Urlacher to get a deal done within the next couple days and I agree LB will be one of our first two picks.

Isn't Smith like 32? No thanks.

I see their first 2 picks being OLB and G.

He will turn 31 this month. It is a chance to get a good player on the cheap. Two new draft picks starting could be a problem. I guess if we resign Urlacher, that changes things. We still need to draft his replacement, he wont play over 12 games in the coming year.

He will turn 31 this month. It is a chance to get a good player on the cheap. Two new draft picks starting could be a problem. I guess if we resign Urlacher, that changes things. We still need to draft his replacement, he wont play over 12 games in the coming year.

Friendly wager on that? Maybe a signature picture bet?

Im always friendly(ask twig and SCS) will gladly wager anything you wish. Urlacher's baby picture OK?

Terms:

-Urlacher has to resign with the Bears or the wager is off

-Urlacher has to "play over 12" - (i.e. 12 games and 1 snap is "over")

Whoever wins gets to chose the other person's signature for, let's say, the entire playoffs of next year?

Nick Roach will be playing in Oakland next year. No big deal. We have a new regime so its time to add new players for the new era in Bears future.

Now let's see Emery get us 2 starting LBs. Roach was adequate, but I can see him going for the $ if someone offered.

No way the Bears let Urlacher go now. Hard to lose 2 starting LB's in one offseason.

This...^^

And despite what some will say, Urlacher was still more productive than Roach last year despite his (Urls) playing on 12 game to Roach's 16.

Games Sack INTs Pass D FF FR Tack / Asst

Urlacher (2012): 12 - 0 1 7 2 2 53 15

Roach (2012) : 16 - 1.5 0 4 1 1 50 15

(source: PROFOOTBALLreference.com)

This...^^

And despite what some will say, Urlacher was still more productive than Roach last year despite his (Urls) playing on 12 game to Roach's 16.

Games Sack INTs Pass D FF FR Tack / Asst

Urlacher (2012): 12 - 0 1 7 2 2 53 15

Roach (2012) : 16 - 1.5 0 4 1 1 50 15

(source: PROFOOTBALLreference.com)

That's just because Roach didn't play every down. When Roach was at MLB he was on pace for 114 tackles while Urlacher was on pace for 90.

I see a restructure comming, Maybe Peppers, Free up some cash by turning salary to bounus, or something on that order. Sign Url back for 2.5 mill with incentives to get 5.5 mill, Win both ways this way. Regardless of the deal we need Url back in the fold. But the writing is on the wall that this draft will be the end of Url unless he finds the fountain of youth and plays his ass off.

Terms:

-Urlacher has to resign with the Bears or the wager is off

-Urlacher has to "play over 12" - (i.e. 12 games and 1 snap is "over")

Whoever wins gets to chose the other person's signature for, let's say, the entire playoffs of next year?

I'm ok with all that, but if he plays somewhere, its still the fact he is playing?

Nick Roach played fairly well at MLB last year. Maybe I'm selling him a bit short, but I saw him miss a few too many tackles for my liking. I thought he got off balance too easily at times. Not sure what we're losing with him that we couldn't have replaced in the draft.

He can certainly be replaced in the draft, but the question should be whether the Bears are in a position where they want to invest 1/3 of their draft in the LB spot, including their first 2 picks or so (since they need starters).

That's the question if they don't re-up with 'lacher.

He can certainly be replaced in the draft, but the question should be whether the Bears are in a position where they want to invest 1/3 of their draft in the LB spot, including their first 2 picks or so (since they need starters).

That's the question if they don't re-up with 'lacher.

I think we need a vet and a rookie. The SLB is not a glory position on our D. Usually a two down player and his duty tends to be taking on TEs blocking. So that's where I would like to find a vet.

I'd still like to see Urlacher come back and groom the future MLB. Briggs spot would be easy to draft for, too bad he couldn't move to the middle.