Goodbye to Urlacher

Ed Hochuli 3:16

I know its been discussed a lot already but my issue with how this went down is the fact we didnt at least use Urlacher as a stopgap until we can find his replacement. They didnt have to give him an ultimatum. I dont see what it could hurt to try to get him down to like 2.5 for 1 year or 2 with incentives after he realized he wasnt gonna get more anywhere else. There isnt too much out there in FA, especially that would be significantly cheaper than Urlacher that would be that much of an upgrade. We literally have 1 usable linebacker on the roster and still have some needs on the OL and need another WR and backup QB and now we essentially have to use one of our first two picks on a LB, probably the first rounder, and then we still need to find another OLB. Even then, the rookie would benefit from a season playing with Urlacher and could probably get some time to adjust to the NFL instead of being thrown into the fire for a team with an aging defense thats window is only another 2 or 3 seasons until they have to completely retool.

Dont get me wrong, I know Urlacher is a shell of his former self and isnt worth nearly what he was initially asking, but as of now its looking like we would have been a better team with him here barring some type of magic via FA, trade, draft. Would you rather have Hester here as a KR than Urlacher? Thatd be an easy place to get the cap to sign him. Im not even a Roach fan but Id even say if we kept him then we could have gotten away with letting Urlacher walk, but as we sit today we are down 2 starting linebackers who will have to come in and learn a new defense.

Edit: Id also like to point something out that I heard discussed on the radio. The game vs Seattle last season we had them contained all game until Urlacher got hurt in the 4th quarter and they marched down the field twice right through our defense.

Very well said. The move didn't make a lot of sense for a variety of reasons. It would have been better to keep him as a stop-gap since he was a lot better than people are trying to pretend, let him train the pups, and end his glorious career as a Bear.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one does anyone any favors. Hometown discount is simply a nice way of saying I'm willing to take a little less so I don't have to move my family, learn a new system, and lose any advertising deals...

When players see the process, they won't do any favors unless it benefits them. This might sway their thought about "home team" discounts.

No one does anyone any favors. Hometown discount is simply a nice way of saying I'm willing to take a little less so I don't have to move my family, learn a new system, and lose any advertising deals...

When players see the process, they won't do any favors unless it benefits them. This might sway their thought about "home team" discounts.

Not that it was a "hometown discount" but didn't Brady do something with his contract once to help Welker get re-signed? Then this year when Welker was released and it was all said and done, Robert Kraft comes out and says "I don't answer to Tom Brady".

What's the last good player you saw on the Bears to give a hometown discount? 2 million would have been that for Url, but he was insulted. He'll find he's not worth it anywhere. This argument is tremendously flawed IMO.

Wrong. In your scenario the leadership would have started at 2m because they want to get a cheap deal, and eventually settled on 3m with a, "Seriously, this is all we can do." Nobody starts with their final offer except this guy:

33691867.jpg

Rick always starts low and works to the middle, as you have stated is the way to do it. It's been said the Bears offered higher prior to free agency and 54 decided, out of pride, to test the market. He came back with no leverage and his value leveled out to 2 mil. It'sa small pittance for an already rich man. But again, pride is going to cause him to let it go before he is ready. It's on him. The deal was fair commensurate with to his value.

To the other posters out there, who say players won't play here or the current ones won't play hard is complete and utter bullshit. I've said all I can say on this topic. I'll miss him, but am glad he didn't get what he wanted, because it is not deserved.

Ok, you win. You and jason are better at evaluating players' onfield performances than all 12 of these guys.

This stupid argument again. :rolleyes:

What if the 12 executives are for 12 of the worst teams? Their opinion is untouchable, right? Because they've been killing it for years. Right?

Unless he says which executives agreed, the comment is pointless in a league with about a 50% success rate. Sometimes worse. Remember, clowns like Matt Milllen have been executives in this league, and nobody can convince me otherwise that just about anyone on this board couldn't have done as good as him...much less JA and his picks.

I think that simply says more about Brady than anything else...

Not that it was a "hometown discount" but didn't Brady do something with his contract once to help Welker get re-signed? Then this year when Welker was released and it was all said and done, Robert Kraft comes out and says "I don't answer to Tom Brady".

Rick always starts low and works to the middle, as you have stated is the way to do it. It's been said the Bears offered higher prior to free agency and 54 decided, out of pride, to test the market. He came back with no leverage and his value leveled out to 2 mil. It'sa small pittance for an already rich man. But again, pride is going to cause him to let it go before he is ready. It's on him. The deal was fair commensurate with to his value.

To the other posters out there, who say players won't play here or the current ones won't play hard is complete and utter bullshit. I've said all I can say on this topic. I'll miss him, but am glad he didn't get what he wanted, because it is not deserved.

You don't watch the show that often if you believe that. His stubbornness when negotiating, and screwing people over, is the reason for the meme.

You don't watch the show that often if you believe that. His stubbornness when negotiating, and screwing people over, is the reason for the meme.

I DVR it and have seen every single episode. If a seller wants 1000, he offers 500 and settles for 750. Just like you said negotiations work.

Wrong. In your scenario the leadership would have started at 2m because they want to get a cheap deal, and eventually settled on 3m with a, "Seriously, this is all we can do." Nobody starts with their final offer except this guy:

33691867.jpg

They didnt want him back thats why it wasnt a negotiation, they made an offer and moved on, it is quite simple. The thing we need to realize (whether you agree or not agree) but Emery has a plan, in a few years we can judge how this all turns out. They brought up a offer to 54 and when he didnt take it, went to sign DJWilliams. Cheaper, will have a better year than 54 would have this year, and younger. An upgrade at a cheaper price. I like the thought that he is running this team and has a plan. Time will tell how it turns out. Lasts year draft still has question marks, but got us Marshall. Filled 3 spots in FAgency and we have to see what else he has planned. I like it so far. The SCORE had a beat writer on from Denver that said with the two off field issues , Denver thought about cutting him but keep him around because he is a good football player. They let him go because of his cost this year.

Sean Jensen polled 12 executives throughout the NFL and almost unanimously agreed this was the right decision.

Quizzed by the Chicago Sun Times, 12-of-13 NFL executives agreed the Bears' one-year, $2 million offer to free agent Brian Urlacher was fair.

It was more than fair. "He’s an aging guy who can’t run," said one NFC personnel exec. "Bold move — and the right move — by [bears GM Phil] Emery. Better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late." Another GM suggested the Bears "could have offered nothing." The one executive who disagreed believes the Bears should have offered up to $3 million because clubs "generally pay a premium to keep a beloved, homegrown player happy." The Urlacher camp's final offer was a one-year, $3.5 million deal. They may have rejected that, anyway.

Urlacher had a hell of a career and I wish him nothing but the best. He irritated me at times and he could end up busting his ass and coming back more explosive (he's a hard working dude) but unfortunately its that time for his career to near an end. Urlacher irritated me from time to time with what he said but he always played his ass off and he really was a tremendous player and will always be a Bear!!!

There's nothing like offering to pay your future HoF, still-starting, captian of the defense middle linebacker worse than your 2nd string quarterback.

For whatever reason, the Bears made him an offer they knew he couldn't accept because they didn't want him, and that's that. The Bears have a lot to prove now. I'm very hopeful, but this post-Lovie experiment could nevertheless easily go either way.

What if the 12 executives are for 12 of the worst teams? Their opinion is untouchable, right? Because they've been killing it for years. Right?

Unless he says which executives agreed, the comment is pointless in a league with about a 50% success rate. Sometimes worse. Remember, clowns like Matt Milllen have been executives in this league, and nobody can convince me otherwise that just about anyone on this board couldn't have done as good as him...much less JA and his picks.

Don't be so stubborn. If they were from the 12 worst teams in 2012, I believe 66.7% of them have new regimes, so they actually aren't "from 12 of the worst teams" since they didn't build those teams that were horrible last year.

The point is that 12/13 GM's who were polled agreed that this was the correct move.

These opinions are from people that run football teams. The teams didnt hire them from fans blogs, they actually do this for a living. You dont have to agree them , but there opinions way outclass both of ours.

These opinions are from people that run football teams. The teams didnt hire them from fans blogs, they actually do this for a living. You dont have to agree them , but there opinions way outclass both of ours.

I don't think that's necessarily true. They run football teams, but you imply that they all run teams well. they do not. Connections, career path, and nepotism goes a long way. I honestly beleive we could run the bears better as a board than the actual Bears front office runs the team.

There are plenty of retread scrubs running teams and doing a poor job year after year. Peter principle. It's just that the other scenario (i.e. us running a team) is not something that can be tested or proven. It's an unknown. For all we know, if you had chosen to pursue a career as a GM the Bears would have won the last three Super Bowls.

I don't think that's necessarily true. They run football teams, but you imply that they all run teams well. they do not. Connections, career path, and nepotism goes a long way. I honestly beleive we could run the bears better as a board than the actual Bears front office runs the team.

There are plenty of retread scrubs running teams and doing a poor job year after year. Peter principle. It's just that the other scenario (i.e. us running a team) is not something that can be tested or proven. It's an unknown. For all we know, if you had chosen to pursue a career as a GM the Bears would have won the last three Super Bowls.

This board could run the Bears better than Phil Emery?

If we did annual awards, this would be up for dumbest post of the year, hands down.

Actually I only appear to be smart, Im not all that sharp.(just kidding) You seem to be reaching when you assume a bunch of idiots are running football teams, they make there living do that, not all are successful but the ones that they polled seem to be the smart ones, BECAUSE THEY SEE A GREAT PLAYER WHEN HE DOESNT HAVE IT ANYMORE, and dont want him.

Actually, jason never said idiots are running many of the league's teams (though it wouldn't shock me if some were). I think he's saying he doesn't believe enough in capitalism to say that the cream always rises to the top. I definitely can see that.

I will admit it sways me some that 12 of 12 execs polled thought dropping Urlacher was the right decision, but I only take it for what it's worth. And I'm in the habit of thinking for myself. Consider that on many cases, about half of the Supreme Court is right, and half are wrong. We do know that much, even if we don't always know side was right. That's kind of scary, because they should be some of the most qualified people in the world for what they do...and that's an awful lot of "wrong" going on. But my point is, it very much informs the sort of perspective jason is taking.

This board could run the Bears better than Phil Emery?

If we did annual awards, this would be up for dumbest post of the year, hands down.

Are you so ignorant to realize all of the moves that have been made were discussed on this board BEFORE they were made?

Yes, the collective of this board could do just as good of a job if we had to make the call on draft picks and personnel moves.