So are we on track to be good?

Wesson44

So with the FA moves we have made are we gaining on the other teams we play or will they be trying to catch us? IMHO we have had a powerful FA run this year sure we lost Louis(G), Davis/Speath(TE), Urlacher/Roach/Hayes(LB), Toeania (DT)Moore(CB),and Campbell at QB....but we have done well with the guys we signed like Bushrod(OT) Bennett/Maneri(TE), Anderson/Williams(LB)and i think we only need a few more players to once again get to the superBowl...we need s speed WR DT,LB and a G

PACKERS

Lost....Jennings/Driver(WR)Woodson(CB),Walden(LB),Crabtree(TE)

Gained....Tavecchio(K),

LIONS

Lost....Florence(CB),Hill(DT),Avril(DE),Cherilus(OT),Durant,(LB)

Gained....Bush(RB),Jones(DT)Quinn(DE)

VIKINGS

Lost....Brinkley(LB),Schwartz(OT),Winfield(CB)Harvin(WR)

Gained....Jennings(WR),Olsen(G),Cassel(QB)

RAVENS

Lost....Birk©, Lewis/Ellerbe/Kruger(LB)Williams(CB),Reed(FS)

Gained....Johnson(CB),Canty(DT),Spears(DE),Dumervil(DE)

BENGALS

Lost....Brown(K),Sims(DT)

Gained....Skuta(LB),Johnson(QB)

STEELERS

Lost....Wallace(WR),Mundy(SS),Allen(FS),Lewis(CB),Colon(G),Mendenhall(RB)

Gained....Gay(CB),Spaeth(TE),Gradkowski(QB)

BROWNS

Lost....Dawson(K),Maiava(LB),Rucker(DE),Johnson(QB)

Gained....Campbell(QB),Davis/Barnidge(TE)Barnes/Owens(CB),Kruger/Groves(LB),Bryant(DT)

GIANTS

Lost....Bradshaw(RB), Bennett(TE),Phillips(FS),Blackburn(LB),Canty(DT),Umenyiora(DE)

Gained....Murphy(WR)Brown(K),Mundy(SS),Ross(CB),Connor(LB),Jenkins(DT),Myers(TE)

COWBOYS

Lost....Ogletree(WR),Connor(LB),Spears(DE),Phillips(TE)

Gained....Armstrong(WR),Allen(FS),,Hayden(DT)

REDSKINS

Lost....Alexander(LB)

Gained...Biggers(CB),Brace(DT,Trueblood/Pashos(OT)

SAINTS

Lost....Bushrod(OT)McBride(DE)Daniel(QB),Patrick(CB),Casillas(LB)

Gained....Lewis(CB),Watson(TE)

EAGLES

Lost....McBriar(P),Rodgers-Cromartie(CB),Jenkins(DT),Dunlap(OT)

Gained....Jones(P),Phillips(FS),Chung(SS),Williams(CB),Fletcher(CB),Phillips/Barwin(LB)

Sopoaga(DT),Barbre(OT),Casey(TE)

RAMS

Lost....Jackson(RB),Gibson(WR) Amendola(WR),Fletcher(CB),Turner(G)

Gained....Long(OT),Cook(TE)

Been on that track for awhile now IMO. If Trestman works out and can get Jay Cutler behind him I think the sky is the limit.

and the thing about the needs you listed are that they are all pretty much backup/future roles sans OG. If our new LBs can stay on the field there is no doubt they are starting caliber players so any LB we draft is a backup this year. DT we just need another rotational piece I'd say to keep those DTs from getting tired. WR I believe we only need a situational speed #4. I see the Bennetts getting most of the time in the slot postilion. I don't necessarily think we need to upgrade from E. Bennett but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I really like where the Bears are as a team. The addition of Brandon Moore would be just fantastic and really set us up nicely for the draft.

I would say we are now an 11 to 12 win team. The best part is GB seems to have slipped a little while we have gained. With a good draft we will be right there neck and neck with them. As much leadership that we lost with Urlacher they lost with Woodson and Jennings.

11-12 wins?? I say 9-7 next year based off of what I know.

To be a 10-12 win team:

1. Webb has to be much, much better but this time at RT.

2. Bushrod has to be good, not average like he's always been.

3. Jeffery has to be good, not average again.

4. McClellin has to have 7-9 sacks.

5. They have to stay healthy.

6. Cutler has to be better + buy into this new system.

7. For once, Forte has to stay healthy.

8. Martellus Bennett has to earn his money and Earl Bennett has to stay healthy.

9. Hester has to be somewhat impactful on KR/PR.

10. They have to come away with 2-3 draftees who contribute right away, particularly at G, where the thought of Carimi and Brown being the starters at G makes me want to vomit.

For me, that's too many IF's to consider them a "11-12 win team," sorry.

To be a 10-12 win team:

8. Martellus Bennett has to earn his money and Earl Bennett has to stay healthy.

10. They have to come away with 2-3 draftees who contribute right away, particularly at G, where the thought of Carimi and Brown being the starters at G makes me want to vomit.

I think the key to all this is the Trestman-Culter connection. If they do well together were 10-6, maybe 11-5. If they dont work well together,were 8-8 or 9-7. There are a lot of questions on the team, but there always is. I think we actually see some of last years draft picks making more of an impact. The change in the defense will make us around a 10-20 rated defense but if we get the OLine straighten out, our offense could be top10 in scoring in the league.

I think the key to all this is the Trestman-Culter connection. If they do well together were 10-6, maybe 11-5. If they dont work well together,were 8-8 or 9-7. There are a lot of questions on the team, but there always is. I think we actually see some of last years draft picks making more of an impact. The change in the defense will make us around a 10-20 rated defense but if we get the OLine straighten out, our offense could be top10 in scoring in the league.

Too many unknowns, last year the ball bounced our way on turnovers. I will say 8-8, because this will be a growing year.

I probably am a bit over-optimistic due to how impressed I have been with Emery and Trestman so far, but I feel that if the team plays up to potential we could certainly be a 12 win team.

Alot hinges on Cutler and the offence meshing, the O line along with that obviously, and how well some of these new guys, ie LB's, do. However, I am looking forward to this season much more than I have for many years, for me Lovie being gone is a reason to automatically have higher hopes given we have a good-quality appearing new coach in this stead!

DT we just need another rotational piece I'd say to keep those DTs from getting tired.

I saw that DT Tommy Kelly was released by Oakland yesterday. And I believe Richard Seymour is still an FA? With Kelly, I believe the Bears made a minor run at him a few years back but lost out to Oakland. Both (Kelly/Seymour) might still have enough to be 'rotational players' as you suggest. Don't know the Bears would need both but maybe one or the other.

I saw that DT Tommy Kelly was released by Oakland yesterday. And I believe Richard Seymour is still an FA? With Kelly, I believe the Bears made a minor run at him a few years back but lost out to Oakland. Both (Kelly/Seymour) might still have enough to be 'rotational players' as you suggest. Don't know the Bears would need both but maybe one or the other.

Tommy Kelly is a loser. He got a fat contract and never showed up after. I want him nowhere near the Bears and I'd be surprised if any team picked him up.

To be a 10-12 win team:

Great post. On Forte and Earl, if they don't stay healthy this year, I'm looking for them to renegotiate or be cut loose.

Do you really think this team hasn't improved from last year?

If so, I'm going to be seriously ragging on Cutler, IMO.

I think it definitely remains to be seen.

This will in fact be a 'make or break' year for Cutler. I fear that his "gunslinger" style will become more prevelant this year as the excuses of poor OL protection won't be as legit. And that style of play will be his waterloo. I hope to be wrong. If Emery is concerned too they will draft a stronger QB candidate as insurance.

To be a 10-12 win team:

We won 10 last year and this team is better. Just replacing Davis with Bennett is worth 1-2 games, Davis was that bad.

1. We had a horrible line last year and won 10, our line is better and will improve even more after the draft.

2. Bushrod will be better than Webb, and Kromer will be better than Tice

3. Jeffery just needs to stay healthy

4. I don't think McClellin's sack total is going to impact the team win total that much, as long as he improves we will be good. He had a bunch of hurries, and hopefully those will start turning into sacks this year.

5. Every team does, don't see how this is any different this year than any other year.

6. Absolutely, but I like his chances better with Trestman/Kromer than Lovie/Insert OC.

7. He missed one game last year and we won that game? Again, of course health is paramount, but every team has to worry about that.

8. Bennett will surpass Davis' full season production by Week 4 or 5. I don't see Earl Bennett's production being that important, especially with Martellus' added production.

9. Absolutely, but he wasn't last year and we still won 10 games

10. The way this is setting up, it looks like we can basically go BPA and get at least 2 impact players (one being a OG).

For me, most of those are not "if's", every team has questions in various positions and injury concerns. Also, we seem to be better off than most teams, especially with depth. Once the interior line hole is filled, it is hard to see any true weaknesses. To me, we are going in the right direction, and from a 10 win season, that would seem to be an 11-12 win campaign.

We won 10 last year and this team is better. Just replacing Davis with Bennett is worth 1-2 games, Davis was that bad.

1. We had a horrible line last year and won 10, our line is better and will improve even more after the draft.

4. I don't think McClellin's sack total is going to impact the team win total that much, as long as he improves we will be good. He had a bunch of hurries, and hopefully those will start turning into sacks this year.

5. Every team does, don't see how this is any different this year than any other year.

6. Absolutely, but I like his chances better with Trestman/Kromer than Lovie/Insert OC.

7. He missed one game last year and we won that game? Again, of course health is paramount, but every team has to worry about that.

8. Bennett will surpass Davis' full season production by Week 4 or 5. I don't see Earl Bennett's production being that important, especially with Martellus' added production.

10. The way this is setting up, it looks like we can basically go BPA and get at least 2 impact players (one being a OG).

For me, most of those are not "if's", every team has questions in various positions and injury concerns. Also, we seem to be better off than most teams, especially with depth. Once the interior line hole is filled, it is hard to see any true weaknesses. To me, we are going in the right direction, and from a 10 win season, that would seem to be an 11-12 win campaign.

I agree. This team right now is already better than last year's team on paper. When you look at Wessons post on the 2013 opponents the Bears play, I feel the majority of the teams have taken steps backwards. The Lions will be the worst team in the North. Bears should be able to compete with GB as long as Emery continues to upgrade the OL. I actually think the Browns will be better than both the Vikings and Lions. Health will always be a key factor. Right now I expect a top 10 defense give or take as we still have Briggs and Tillman's leadership with the core on defense relatively intact while getting a little younger on that side of the ball as well. Residing here in Denver, DJ Williams, a former captain was very well liked in the locker room and respected for his play by his teamamtes. Hopefully he has learned from his past off field mistakes. THE DRAFT: If we can get a starting Center and Guard out of this draft with depth at other positions the Bears will make Urlacher regret not coming back on a team friendly contract. If the Oline is infused with youth and talent we can expect Jay and the O to be more consistent and grow into a potent modern offense this year. I actually think Jay has improved each year here even while running for his life. He is a solid pro who is a competitor that wants to win. He is kinda like the A. J. Pierzynski of the Bears. Besides that Jay is in a contract year and I expect him to fully imerse himself in the new system and be all in! Special Teams seems to be adding a lot of speed with some of the safties that have been signed and should be better as well. Hopefully Gould is healthy and ready to go. Overall, I think Emery is doing a very good job of bringing in solid, younger veterans and has increased team speed as well as providing the franchise much needed flexibility going forward. Has anyone realized how many players were signed to one year deals as well as there are quite a few players entering the final year of their deals? Emery seems to be very strategic in his approach something that has been lacking for years from this Front Office. I also like the quality of the players and coaches that Emery has brought to the Bears already: B Marshall, DJ Willams and James Anderson. From a leadership standpoint I think he carefully evaluated Lovie et ol for a season and decide that he could not win with them and sent them on thier way! I predict that the Bears will be a pleasant suprise this year and be playoff bound.

Good post. Particularly the bolded points.