Arthur Brown

AZ54

I've seen some rumors that the Bears are interested in Arthur Brown. I watched a couple highlight videos, including all of this one and I'm not that impressed. I see him as a 2nd Rd selection because a) he's not that big B) he gets lost a lot on the field giving up some big plays. He can play with some leverage for his size but I'd say he's a replacement for Briggs and will never be a MLB in the NFL.

Ogletree has some of the same issues but he's bigger and stronger and I see him making making more impact plays. Despite the character flaws I prefer Ogletree in Rd 1.

Haven't watched any game tape but I read some great reviews from guys who I assume watched a lot of game tape and all the reviews have been pretty good. "Experts" seem to love him.

I agree with Ogletree over Brown though, I have watched a lot of his game tape and love the guy.

I've seen some rumors that the Bears are interested in Arthur Brown. I watched a couple highlight videos, including all of this one and I'm not that impressed. I see him as a 2nd Rd selection because a) he's not that big B) he gets lost a lot on the field giving up some big plays. He can play with some leverage for his size but I'd say he's a replacement for Briggs and will never be a MLB in the NFL.

Ogletree has some of the same issues but he's bigger and stronger and I see him making making more impact plays. Despite the character flaws I prefer Ogletree in Rd 1.

100% agreed. That's one of the multiple reasons I'm opposed to LB in rd 1.

Haven't watched any game tape but I read some great reviews from guys who I assume watched a lot of game tape and all the reviews have been pretty good. "Experts" seem to love him.

I agree with Ogletree over Brown though, I have watched a lot of his game tape and love the guy.

So you prefer Olgetree, because you watched more tape on him? I like you scientific approach for your opinions.

So you prefer Olgetree, because you watched more tape on him? I like you scientific approach for your opinions.

No because the scouting reports also tell me Ogletree>Brown. Only reason I watched Ogletree game tape was because someone here posted some and I just thought he was so dynamic that I wanted to see more. I tend to trust scouting reports because I assume the people making them have ya know, actually watched the games.

No because the scouting reports also tell me Ogletree>Brown. Only reason I watched Ogletree game tape was because someone here posted some and I just thought he was so dynamic that I wanted to see more. I tend to trust scouting reports because I assume the people making them have ya know, actually watched the games.

There are a lot of mocks out there from goofs, but the ones I look at that I give a grain of salt too are ones run by former scouts. When I get a little more time, I will put up a list.

Arthur Brown is actually the same size as Ogletree now. Increased his weight to 241 at the time of his pro day.

Ogletree is not the athlete he's being touted as coming into the draft. He is by no means a freak. Looked slow to me on film, and I don't like the way he plays in the run game. His best attribute comes from being a decent pass coverage LB.

Arthur Brown surpasses him in almost every other category besides that. He's a more sure handed tackler, and he's excellent in tight spaces. Ogletree makes sense if they are planning on keeping the Cover 2. If not, Brown is a better pick because I think he's going to be a better player.

I don't know about Brown but what about the Baylor QB Florence? This video seemed more a highlight film for him. He available?

The highlights I've seen of Ogletree he seems to be more physical at the point of attack and better getting after the QB. I know Brown bulked up for the combine but we don't know what he plays like at that weight but there are the same concerns with Ogletree. Let's just watch the game versus Alabama (we know what they did to Te'o) and what I see is that Ogletree is a lot more physical than Brown. This is as close to NFL competition as he'll see since 3 of those Oline will be in the NFL and the RB, the one he stopped cold at the goal line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC8CmJtkN8c

I would recommend to check out nfl.com, your reasons are bogus compared to them on grades.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/arthur-brown?id=2539245

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/alec-ogletree?id=2540143

I would recommend to check out nfl.com, your reasons are bogus compared to them on grades.

The more I read the more I like Brown, sounds to me to be more apt to take Briggs job after he retires.

I was honestly shocked by these NFL ratings. I watched a TON of college football this past year, and there is no way in hell I'd rate Brown ahead of Ogletree. No way. It's head-shakingly unbelievable to me, to be quite honest. Brown plays slow and his instincts appear to be poor at times. Ogletree plays very fast and appears to have pretty good instincts.

Ya I've never actually read the nfl.com reports, for whatever reason they don't show up when I google such and such player scouting report....I always just look a mock then google the player who fits a need....I'm not saying Brown is a bad player, at all, I just like what I've read about OGletree more. Especially in this system where his background as a safety will help him with the whole dropping into coverage every play.

I was honestly shocked by these NFL ratings. I watched a TON of college football this past year, and there is no way in hell I'd rate Brown ahead of Ogletree. No way. It's head-shakingly unbelievable to me, to be quite honest. Brown plays slow and his instincts appear to be poor at times. Ogletree plays very fast and appears to have pretty good instincts.

I wonder how much the character issues dragged down Ogletree's rating? That is a factor and will be for teams deciding which one to draft. It's JAs old floor-ceiling approach with Brown stuck squarely in the middle and Ogletree ending up on either side.

100% agree. I love both but for me, I'd rather have Ogletree.

Agreed. I'll add, Ogletree is a natural 241 with room to add weight, while Brown is an inflated 241 with no room to grow. Combine that with speed, power and aggression and Ogletree is hands down the better athlete.

How many games of Brown playing did you watch? I think I prefer to accept the opinion of people that scout players for a living rather than you because you watch a lot of football games.

How many games of Brown playing did you watch? I think I prefer to accept the opinion of people that scout players for a living rather than you because you watch a lot of football games.

That's fine but the more highlights I've watched over the last few years the less genius these scouts seem to be. To be sure they have access to inside information from coaching staffs and others that we will never get and that has to be part of the evaluation. Film study, work ethic, leadership, etc. Yet I feel I can see fairly well what a player can do on the field. Missed tackles are missed tackles. Blown assignments (running the wrong way on a play) are obvious to see. Physical straight-on tackling is also easy to identify versus a guy who tackles from the side and gives up an extra yard or two in doing so. We have to keep in mind that most of what we can find on the internet is going to be just highlights not lowlights. We will see the best the player has to offer but that's why when I can find what amounts to most of a single game film I find it more helpful because then you find the bad plays too.

So you base your opinion off what other people think? How original...

I base my opinions on everything I watch and read, its a composite of many different sources. The point I was trying to make is because you watched a lot of games, how many of a certain player did you watch, focus on? If you watch highlight films of any player, that will make anybody look good. I probably watched both players 2 games a piece, so I cant base my judgement on what I seen, so I rely on what I read. I have opinions, but keep them in perspective as to what I can be a realistic judge of.

I'm willing to bet I watched just as many games as most scouts. Probably more. And I probably watched more individual plays over and over than they did. For example, I have a DVD in my office computer from one of the top-dogs of NFL officiating with a compilation of nothing but defensive and offensive pass interference penalties.

But go ahead and continue thinking that people on message boards know next to nothing about football, and people on football websites know everything. You do realize the majority of the people writing about football are people just like us, right? You realize Walter Football is this guy?! Yeah, he definitely looks like a knows a ton more about football than any of us. He has a website after all!! Who the hell is Mel Kiper, Jr. and Todd McShay? Just because they have access to the ESPN film vault doesn't suddenly make them all-knowing. They're just guys like us who watch football, judge football, and evaluate players. I bet neither of those clowns has ever put on a helmet...unless you count Kiper's hair. And as for former players, a lot of those guys are borderline retarded, and know how to play because they won the genetic lottery. Emmitt Smith is considered by some (better not be anyone on this board) to be the best RB of all time, but he can barely form a coherent sentence. One of the most ferocious defenders of all time (Dexter Manley) was actually illiterate. Because they run faster and can lift more doesn't automatically make them better at talent judgement.

The simple truth is, a lot of people who participate on message boards know quite a bit about football because they played or were involved in many ways, but couldn't continue for a variety of reasons (most likely just weren't athletically gifted enough). I'd be willing to bet someone on this board has coaching experience. Others have probably played at the college level. Accept what you want, but the idea that people who post on message boards somehow have lesser opinions is incredibly short-sighted.

They are trained professionals. They are paid to know how to watch film and make judgements on prospects. No offense, but I'm pretty sure nobody here is qualified to be an NFL scout or a GM. You have to know what to look for, outside of the obvious. There's certain intricacies that go into knowing how to evaluate players that an untrained eye would not know how to read.

No problem with someone trying to formulate their own opinions, based on tape they have watched, but to act like it's so easy to be able to do a job as well as trained professionals at the highest level is pretty laughable and more than a little presumptuous.

And to clarify, I'm mostly speaking on the true NFL scouts, not the talking heads you see on TV. Especially former players.