Zach Ertz

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Am I the only one more interested in what we're not saying or doing? All sorts of rumors about Arthur Brown, Te'o, now Ertz pops up out of nowhere after we spent a small fortune on a TE. We've even had some rumors of CBs. Few rumors of OG, lots of silence on Ogletree despite all the mocks that have us taking him.

Since we are being open about trying to trade down I look at most of these rumors as being what we might do if we trade back to late first round or even early second. Most of what I see in the last week doesn't make sense at #20 (Ertz?) IMO.

Am I the only one more interested in what we're not saying or doing? All sorts of rumors about Arthur Brown, Te'o, now Ertz pops up out of nowhere after we spent a small fortune on a TE. We've even had some rumors of CBs. Few rumors of OG, lots of silence on Ogletree despite all the mocks that have us taking him.

Since we are being open about trying to trade down I look at most of these rumors as being what we might do if we trade back to late first round or even early second. Most of what I see in the last week doesn't make sense at #20 (Ertz?) IMO.

Ya, Ertz, and most the guys you mentioned, are probably a reach at 20. I kinda doubt he (Ertz) makes it to us at pick 50 so I think they're looking at him as a potential pick in a trade down situation.

Ya, Ertz, and most the guys you mentioned, are probably a reach at 20. I kinda doubt he (Ertz) makes it to us at pick 50 so I think they're looking at him as a potential pick in a trade down situation.

There just checking out all of our options. If we were going to pick everybody somebody said we were interested in, we would need 20 draft picks.

That's one helluva a good point. Now that you mention it, all the guys we are interested in are guys you hope might be there with the #30 pick. I feel like we'd be looking at Womack, Cooper, Tavon Austin, and Ogletree. Hell, especially Ogletree. It could be we've completely taken Ogletree off our draft board but I'm surprised we haven't brought him in. While Trestman and Emery are very secretive, they are both very thorough. They'd take research over secrecy.

As for Ertz, we can't discount the talk that Trestman wants to utilize the dual TE threat. However, you don't take a #2 TE in the first round.

Emery said we are open for business and have the flexibility to trade down. While we are prepared to stay where we are, I'm guessing we hope to get a 3rd round pick back.

That's one helluva a good point. Now that you mention it, all the guys we are interested in are guys you hope might be there with the #30 pick. I feel like we'd be looking at Womack, Cooper, Tavon Austin, and Ogletree. Hell, especially Ogletree. It could be we've completely taken Ogletree off our draft board but I'm surprised we haven't brought him in. While Trestman and Emery are very secretive, they are both very thorough. They'd take research over secrecy.

As for Ertz, we can't discount the talk that Trestman wants to utilize the dual TE threat. However, you don't take a #2 TE in the first round.

Emery said we are open for business and have the flexibility to trade down. While we are prepared to stay where we are, I'm guessing we hope to get a 3rd round pick back.

I read somewhere,that we had a private workout with Ogletree.

I read somewhere,that we had a private workout with Ogletree.

I think at some point the Bears did interview Ogletree...maybe at the combine. So there has been interest just odd that the LB who is typically ranked as a top 50 player but not top 30, Arthur Brown has been linked to the Bears in Rd 1 so often. I'm referring to media reports of player interest but if I consider the mock drafts, the majority have us taking Ogletree (if they have us taking a LB).

Regarding McClellin and rumors last year I believe we started hearing some rumors about him during the last week. I had completely ignored him up until that time and at that time I started reading some draft profiles of him which left me thinking ...nah, only if we trade down.

As the April 25 draft approaches, a number of respected mock drafters -- including ESPN's Todd McShay and the Chicago Tribune's Dan Pompei -- predict the Bears will make Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert the No. 20 overall pick of the draft. Meanwhile, Michael C. Wright of ESPNChicago.com reports the Bears have genuine interest in Stanford tight end Zach Ertz.

So what's going on here? Have the mock drafters forgotten about Bennett and Maneri? Do they really think the Bears would use one of their five draft picks to further stock the tight end position when more pressing short- and long-term needs exist at other positions?

Here's what I can tell you: The Bears aren't just working back from a deficit at the position. Statistically speaking, at least, they had one of the worst tight end situations in the NFL last season. As the chart shows, Bears tight ends had the NFL's lowest production in terms of receptions. Only two teams targeted their tight ends fewer times than the Bears.

Can Bennett alone spark a turnaround? (Maneri is generally considered a blocking tight end.) That might be a lot of pressure to put on one player who has caught more than 20 passes in only two of his five seasons. And it's worth noting that Bennett's contract, ostensibly worth $20.4 million, is probably better viewed as a one-year deal worth $5.315 million. Bennett's 2014 salary includes $4 million guaranteed for injury only, which means the Bears could release him if he is healthy after the 2013 season without owing him more money. (It will be guaranteed for skill as well as injury if he is on the roster on the third day of the 2014 league year.)

I don't think you could argue that tight end is the Bears' top need entering the draft. On the other hand, everything must be viewed in context. The Bears' pick at No. 20 overall puts them in good position to select the best tight end in the draft. Indeed, over the past 10 drafts, 10 tight ends have been selected in the first round. Only two, Vernon Davis in 2006 and Kellen Winslow in 2004, were selected higher than No. 20.

Pass-catching tight ends are a requirement in modern-day NFL offenses, and last year the Bears didn't have one. If they are serious about making it a strength of their offense, perhaps they do need more than one.

Link

A TE in the first would be horrible, and it would not create a dynamic passing attack because Cutler won't be able to use all the weapons if he's running for his life...like every year since he's been in Chicago. How many damn years does this concept have to be proven?!?!?!

Is Eifert the best rumor we could generate to help motivate someone to trade up with us? I didn't realize the flexibility we have with Bennett's contract. OTOH adding Eifert definitely rounds out the TE situation for years to come, which I like. I just don't like the holes it leaves us at LB and potentially OG for years to come.

I say potential because as already stated above, we just have no clue what the coaching staff thinks of the remaining RT competition and/or Carimi at OG. Brown as well. Looking at our roster it's hard to rule out a DT with our 1st pick.

The only thing I feel confident in right now is that some player of very good value, if not a few, will be there for us when we pick at #20. So I'm not fixated on any position as I think Emery and (more likely) Lovie were last year. Hopefully Emery and Trestman stick to their BPA mantra.

Is Eifert the best rumor we could generate to help motivate someone to trade up with us? I didn't realize the flexibility we have with Bennett's contract. OTOH adding Eifert definitely rounds out the TE situation for years to come, which I like. I just don't like the holes it leaves us at LB and potentially OG for years to come.

I say potential because as already stated above, we just have no clue what the coaching staff thinks of the remaining RT competition and/or Carimi at OG. Brown as well. Looking at our roster it's hard to rule out a DT with our 1st pick.

The only thing I feel confident in right now is that some player of very good value, if not a few, will be there for us when we pick at #20. So I'm not fixated on any position as I think Emery and (more likely) Lovie were last year. Hopefully Emery and Trestman stick to their BPA mantra.

I totally agree, we have to,get a quality player, I think our first two picks should be by BPA

With the supposed TE interest I would love to see them wait until the 5th or 6th round and take Ertz teammate Levine Toiolo. I brought up his name months ago as I guy I was interested in and with the the Bears still apparently interested in a TE I remain interested.