Bears minicamps this (and next) weekend

CrackerDog

I'm hoping to hear that at least one of the three rook LB's we just drafted "hits like a ton of bricks and has an outstanding nose for the football." It would be great if they said that about all of them...

I'm expecting to hear Alshon is "all that" and a slice of cheese.

I'm hoping to hear that Hardin is out there. Did he show up in April, I can't recall?

I'm also expecting to hear something like "the tremendous depth we have now in the OL is going to make for great competition".

I'm hoping to hear someone other than a coach say Long is a ferkin' stud so we can all stop the whining. Will the unsigned guys show up? Anything in the new CBA that precludes that?

I'm also interested in hearing if any of the undrafted dudes impress. If you remember, under Smith and Angelo, there was a guy every year who was "really impressive" only to see him get cut at the first round of cuts. In other words, let's watch for how deep the bullshit gets. Thus far I've been most impressed with Trestman/Emery being straight shooters. Now that player evaluation time is here, for their own guys, I hope that continues.

And you?

I'm hoping to hear that at least one of the three rook LB's we just drafted "hits like a ton of bricks and has an outstanding nose for the football." It would be great if they said that about all of them...

I'm expecting to hear Alshon is "all that" and a slice of cheese.

I'm hoping to hear that Hardin is out there. Did he show up in April, I can't recall?

I'm also expecting to hear something like "the tremendous depth we have now in the OL is going to make for great competition".

I'm hoping to hear someone other than a coach say Long is a ferkin' stud so we can all stop the whining. Will the unsigned guys show up? Anything in the new CBA that precludes that?

I'm also interested in hearing if any of the undrafted dudes impress. If you remember, under Smith and Angelo, there was a guy every year who was "really impressive" only to see him get cut at the first round of cuts. In other words, let's watch for how deep the bullshit gets. Thus far I've been most impressed with Trestman/Emery being straight shooters. Now that player evaluation time is here, for their own guys, I hope that continues.

And you?

The minicamps are no-contact.

Alshon looks to be in better shape, so I would expect some good comments about him.

The O-Line competition is probably going to be the highlight of the OTA's.

Long should be really impressive. All rookies are allowed to show up to minicamp, even if they haven't signed yet. I don't know exactly how this works, but some teams already held their minicamps and had rookies there that were unsigned.

There will be a few standouts, especially since it is no contact. The UDFA's really have to up their game to make the roster.

Alshon looks to be in better shape, so I would expect some good comments about him.

Long should be really impressive. All rookies are allowed to show up to minicamp, even if they haven't signed yet. I don't know exactly how this works, but some teams already held their minicamps and had rookies there that were unsigned.

There will be a few standouts, especially since it is no contact. The UDFA's really have to up their game to make the roster.

Rookies often sign waivers (i.e. insurance) with the team guaranteeing them to get paid something if they have a serious injury in mini-camps. Not sure how the details all work out on that but it's low risk since there is no contact, just a bunch of guys running around in shorts.

Apparently Long won't be allowed to participate in OTAs.

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet

The @NFL's graduation rule that says rookies can't participate in OTAs until post-graduation snags a few every year -- Andrew Luck last year

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet

Among rookies whose graduation schedules mean no OTAs: #Dolphins Dion Jordan, #Bears Kyle Long, #Falcons Desmond Trufant, #Eagles Zach Ertz

I'm hoping to hear one thing, and one thing only:

Carimi looks good, will probably start over Webb at RT

What's going to be different from this mini camp and the camp they had before the draft where Carimi was being called a guard? A "smokescreen" doesn't make much sense.

What's going to be different from this mini camp and the camp they had before the draft where Carimi was being called a guard? A "smokescreen" doesn't make much sense.

I don't think the positions on the line are set or in stone at this point.

That's why I said I'm "hoping"...it's a hope. Carimi will probably be shoved inside to OG and waste away while Webb is given yet another chance to suck.

That's why I said I'm "hoping"...it's a hope. Carimi will probably be shoved inside to OG and waste away while Webb is given yet another chance to suck.

Come on now, whoever wins the job wins the job. There isn't going to be any Mike Tice pet projects going on this year, at least not with Webb anyway. There is A TON of competition for RT this year between Webb, Scott, Mills, Carimi?, and maybe even Brown and Long who both played some OT in college. The winner of that competition will give the Bears the best chance to win.

Come on now, whoever wins the job wins the job. There isn't going to be any Mike Tice pet projects going on this year, at least not with Webb anyway. There is A TON of competition for RT this year between Webb, Scott, Mills, Carimi?, and maybe even Brown and Long who both played some OT in college. The winner of that competition will give the Bears the best chance to win.

Twice also said winner of the competition will give us best chance to win. Lol. So I'm just hoping that there is true competition unlike with Webb all these yrs go this point

Twice also said winner of the competition will give us best chance to win. Lol. So I'm just hoping that there is true competition unlike with Webb all these yrs go this point

You ever think for a second that he did give us the best chance to win? Yes the competition between Webb and the rest of the LT prospects has been minimal but thats more the fault of JA for not drafting someone to compete after the Williams project failed. This year we have anywhere between 3-6 guys that can compete at RT. Whoever wins the job will have earned it.

Let me put it another way...If the staff moves Carimi to OG, he obviously won't get the reps needed to fully compete at OT. No Mike Tice stuff at all, just a matter of position on a football field.

And if Webb "wins" the RT battle, I still don't think he gives the Bears the best chance to win.

You ever think for a second that he did give us the best chance to win? Yes the competition between Webb and the rest of the LT prospects has been minimal but thats more the fault of JA for not drafting someone to compete after the Williams project failed. This year we have anywhere between 3-6 guys that can compete at RT. Whoever wins the job will have earned it.

In 2010 Webb was given starting RT in week 5 and started the final 12 games. He was absolutely atrocious. Not even u think he was even mediocre. In off season Tice makes that comment and then gives Webb the LT job. U honestly think he gave us best chance to win. Then is rated one of worst LTs in 2011 and give says there will be competition. Yet only comp was himself. He's never earned a damn thing in this league. How can anyone say he gave us best chance. After 2012 in my opinion he's earned the right to actual compete for a job. Period. That's it. If he wants to play then go out there are prove it.

Let me put it another way...If the staff moves Carimi to OG, he obviously won't get the reps needed to fully compete at OT. No Mike Tice stuff at all, just a matter of position on a football field.

And if Webb "wins" the RT battle, I still don't think he gives the Bears the best chance to win.

Well if the staff thinks Carimi is nothing more than an OG then are you already gonna say this staff is awful for not giving Carimi a chance?

In 2010 Webb was given starting RT in week 5 and started the final 12 games. He was absolutely atrocious. Not even u think he was even mediocre. In off season Tice makes that comment and then gives Webb the LT job. U honestly think he gave us best chance to win. Then is rated one of worst LTs in 2011 and give says there will be competition. Yet only comp was himself. He's never earned a damn thing in this league. How can anyone say he gave us best chance. After 2012 in my opinion he's earned the right to actual compete for a job. Period. That's it. If he wants to play then go out there are prove it.

I noted that his competition was garbage, but given what we had (that's the key) yes I believe he gave us the best chance to win. Maybe I'm giving the staff to much respect when I say I highly doubt they're going to throw someone out there who is performing worse than another player. That just sounds foolish to even think about...The bold part is exactly what is going to happen, he's earned the right to compete and that's exactly what he'll do, with 2-5 other people.

Maybe I'm giving the staff to much respect when I say I highly doubt they're going to throw someone out there who is performing worse than another player.

Of all the crap that's come out of your piehole these last few days/weeks, you're dead on here. I know everyone wants to say Lovie or Tice handed this or that to this player or that. Bullshit. They didn't want to get fired and people who don't want to get fired try their best to use the best they have available. Don't get me wrong, I think Webb sucks but he sucked less than other options. We'll see if his change of life improves his game and if it does, more power to him. No matter what, I want the best 5 on the field and I believe any coaching staff feels the same way.

As I've stated before, we should be more critical with an unproven staff. Not more optimistic. Trust is earned.

Whether or not a coach gives a player a chance on ability or not is sort of a red herring, because ultimately it still comes down to performance. Love and staff may have, ignorantly, believed Webb was a good player. Maybe their OL evaluation skills were just horrible? Given the status of the OL over the last 5-6 years that could be entirely possible. Did they think they were doing what was best for the team to win? Of course. Did it result in the necessary wins? Well, neither are with Chicago. I don't think any coach actively submarines their own team, but that doesn't make them oracles of all football decisions. They can F up too...we should know, we saw Lovie do plenty of it.

As I've stated before, we should be more critical with an unproven staff. Not more optimistic. Trust is earned.

Whether or not a coach gives a player a chance on ability or not is sort of a red herring, because ultimately it still comes down to performance. Love and staff may have, ignorantly, believed Webb was a good player. Maybe their OL evaluation skills were just horrible? Given the status of the OL over the last 5-6 years that could be entirely possible. Did they think they were doing what was best for the team to win? Of course. Did it result in the necessary wins? Well, neither are with Chicago. I don't think any coach actively submarines their own team, but that doesn't make them oracles of all football decisions. They can F up too...we should know, we saw Lovie do plenty of it.

Well we supposedly have one of the best OL coaches in football and if he says that Carimi is strictly an OG then I'll take his word for it. I also can't imagine them not giving him an opportunity to compete for the RT position, esp with Long and Slausson being close to locks at OG IMO.

Well we supposedly have one of the best OL coaches in football and if he says that Carimi is strictly an OG then I'll take his word for it. I also can't imagine them not giving him an opportunity to compete for the RT position, esp with Long and Slausson being close to locks at OG IMO.

I'll hold off on kroner. Twice was considered a great OL coach and well nuff said

The conversation at hand right now is Carimi at RT...So if Carimi isn't given a shot at RT will you consider Kromer a bad coach??

Nope. I would be a moron to judge kroner based on a player he has inherited. I'll judge him based on what he does on OUR line as a whole. What he's done in the past doesn't matter. Its what he does with us