Sleeper Prospect Fendi Onobun

adam

It is funny how the internet takes you down rabbit holes. First I see this article about 3 Bears players playing for the same H.S. :

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...03-85c5d4e82962

then I start reading up on Onobun, who at the time of his signing, didn't seem to draw much attention (rightfully so).

However, looking at his Pro Day:

this guy seems to have all the physical attributes to succeed, but only played football one year in college (and still was drafted in the 6th round), so he is still raw.

With his ties to Bennett, could this guy develop into our #2 pass catching TE eventually?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He certainly has all the measurables. Former 4 year college basketball player who is said to have soft hands and can catch the ball in traffic.

I haven't seen the tribune article yet but per rotoworld

The Chicago Tribune thinks TE Fendi Onobun could have a "significant role" on the Bears if he continues to perform as well as he has this offseason.

With his size and athleticism he very well could be that #2 TE I was craving before the draft.

Is there any news on where ERod has been playing in OTAs?

One can hope!

It is funny how the internet takes you down rabbit holes. First I see this article about 3 Bears players playing for the same H.S. :

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...03-85c5d4e82962

then I start reading up on Onobun, who at the time of his signing, didn't seem to draw much attention (rightfully so).

However, looking at his Pro Day:

this guy seems to have all the physical attributes to succeed, but only played football one year in college (and still was drafted in the 6th round), so he is still raw.

With his ties to Bennett, could this guy develop into our #2 pass catching TE eventually?

He certainly has all the measurables. Former 4 year college basketball player who is said to have soft hands and can catch the ball in traffic.

I haven't seen the tribune article yet but per rotoworld

With his size and athleticism he very well could be that #2 TE I was craving before the draft.

Is there any news on where ERod has been playing in OTAs?

This is all I could find:

Evan Rodriguez is Mr. Everything on offense. He lines up all over the field...

Trib article: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-05...nobun-tight-end

I'd rather see ERod as the #2 TE than Cinnabon.

Not if "Cinnabon" plays up to his measurables. 6'6", 4.45 speed, a basketball background(which you like). There's no way I'd rather see a shorter, slower ERod out there over him if Fendi has truly put it all together.

ERod can still produce out of the FB role.

Here's the tribune article on Fendi.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-05...nobun-tight-end

Quarterback Jay Cutler has been working with Onobun. He wouldn't be making that time investment if he didn't see something worthwhile.

I think that line from the article speaks volumes on what we might see out of him. If he could build a relationship with Jay then he has a good chance to be productive this year.

If this is a diamond in the rough...this could be huge.

Here's the tribune article on Fendi.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-05...nobun-tight-end

I think that line from the article speaks volumes on what we might see out of him. If he could build a relationship with Jay then he has a good chance to be productive this year.

Not if "Cinnabon" plays up to his measurables. 6'6", 4.45 speed, a basketball background(which you like). There's no way I'd rather see a shorter, slower ERod out there over him if Fendi has truly put it all together.

ERod can still produce out of the FB role.

Measurables Football skills

Hester has better measurables than Bennett, but there is no mistaking who is the better receiver.

I'd still rather see ERod at the #2 TE position than a project like Cinnabon. There is a reason ERod was drafted in the 4th; he should be used for that reason.

At this point the guy is just trying to make the roster let alone deserving of the #2 TE role. It's May and nobody is getting hit so I'll take this as a positive note that we have some good raw talent that might be worth keeping around. This puts a lot of pressure on Kyle Adams IMO.

Now from a front office perspective I'd say the team did well finding this prospect when others (myself included) were thinking it would be worthwhile to sign Jared Cook as a FA for millions/yr. Cook can run and catch but he can't block. That's exactly what Fendi can do, or at least he can do it without the pads on, and if he makes the roster he'll be doing it for a lot less money. At the end we have Bennett and Onobun for less than Cook. Looking forward to seeing him in preseason games.

Measurables Football skills

Hester has better measurables than Bennett, but there is no mistaking who is the better receiver.

I'd still rather see ERod at the #2 TE position than a project like Cinnabon. There is a reason ERod was drafted in the 4th; he should be used for that reason.

Much like Kromer (I believe) has said he doesn't care where a player is drafted, I too can care less. If Fendi puts it all together he could be a much more dangerous weapon than ERod. I bolded "if" because at this stage we just don't know if he's actually put it together. To hear that he's been working with Cutler tells me he just might have put it together. Like the article I posted said "He wouldn't be making that time investment if he didn't see something worthwhile." Hearing that he's also got a chance to pick the brains of Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates is also encouraging.

The completed project of Fendi Onobun is one that would be a matchup nightmare. 6'6" with 4.4 speed is just out of this world.

Much like Kromer (I believe) has said he doesn't care where a player is drafted, I too can care less. If Fendi puts it all together he could be a much more dangerous weapon than ERod. I bolded "if" because at this stage we just don't know if he's actually put it together. To hear that he's been working with Cutler tells me he just might have put it together. Like the article I posted said "He wouldn't be making that time investment if he didn't see something worthwhile." Hearing that he's also got a chance to pick the brains of Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates is also encouraging.

The completed project of Fendi Onobun is one that would be a matchup nightmare. 6'6" with 4.4 speed is just out of this world.

I will always take a football player over an athlete, the trick is to get both in the same package.

I will always take a football player over an athlete, the trick is to get both in the same package.

This guy has the background similar to other star TE's. Guys like Gonzalez and Graham made the transition from basketball to football, and Onubun seems to be on a similar path, though he started playing football later. With the help from Bennett, Marshall, and Cutler, out of all the wild cards we have picked up in the last few years, I just think this guy has the best chance to stick.

For ERod, I like that the Bears are using him all over the field, in the backfield, split out wide, lined up off tackle, in the slot, etc. He may flourish in the WCO.

This guy has the background similar to other star TE's. Guys like Gonzalez and Graham made the transition from basketball to football, and Onubun seems to be on a similar path, though he started playing football later. With the help from Bennett, Marshall, and Cutler, out of all the wild cards we have picked up in the last few years, I just think this guy has the best chance to stick.

For ERod, I like that the Bears are using him all over the field, in the backfield, split out wide, lined up off tackle, in the slot, etc. He may flourish in the WCO.

Are using? When the hell did that happen? Did I miss that season? Or are you going off of what has been said about the upcoming season? We've been teased with the double-TE formation enough times that it was a positive in the running game one season and a positive in the passing game in another. I gotta see it to believe it. And, thus far, ERod has most certainly not been used "all over the field."

But, yeah, let's go ahead and basically throw away a pass-catching, hybrid TE who excelled in college for a guy who is tall. Football Player > Measurables.

Are using? When the hell did that happen? Did I miss that season? Or are you going off of what has been said about the upcoming season? We've been teased with the double-TE formation enough times that it was a positive in the running game one season and a positive in the passing game in another. I gotta see it to believe it. And, thus far, ERod has most certainly not been used "all over the field."

But, yeah, let's go ahead and basically throw away a pass-catching, hybrid TE who excelled in college for a guy who is tall. Football Player > Measurables.

It was mentioned during the OTA's from Bears report. They said they had him lined up everywhere.

It was mentioned during the OTA's from Bears report. They said they had him lined up everywhere.

I'll believe it when I see it actually being utilized in more than some involuntary OTA. Every yr I swear the tease us with something and then never utilize it once games start

Lined Up Using

They could line him up at WR, TE, FB, and QB but if they run, run, pass deep, and direct snap to the RB, respectively, then he's not being used. Like last year. BTW, all this kind of stuff was discussed in ERod's comical draft thread. Wow, were there a lot of wrong people in that one.

Well for me this is a no brainer....if you have a guy that's 6'6 runs a 4.4 and has all the tools that Erod has he might be a better matchup nightmare for other teams to defend. There are a few great TE that were basketball players i.e. Gates,Gonzales and a few others in the NFL as well so there might be something to it. This would cause a lot of creativity on the part of the staff to make this two TE set work with Bennet and Onubun but hell he could in fact be better than Davis at some point

Well for me this is a no brainer....if you have a guy that's 6'6 runs a 4.4 and has all the tools that Erod has he might be a better matchup nightmare for other teams to defend. There are a few great TE that were basketball players i.e. Gates,Gonzales and a few others in the NFL as well so there might be something to it. This would cause a lot of creativity on the part of the staff to make this two TE set work with Bennet and Onubun but hell he could in fact be better than Davis at some point

Here you go again. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Doesn't help that that guy was struggling to run a 4.8 and could be easily covered by an LB. I'd say Fendi presents much more upside than Ali. With 4.4 speed he presents a much harder matchup for most LB/CBs

I know your a big ERod fan but I'm surprised your not backing this. I believe it was you who brought up how we should just go grab a player with a basketball pedigree to play TE before we got Bennett. Why has your tune changed since?

If this guy can finally tap into that raw potential then I'd much rather see him primarily used as the 2nd TE and ERod at fb .