Sleeper Prospect Fendi Onobun

adam

What does that mean? It looks like he's been a fringe roster player.

His History:

St. Louis Rams

Onobun signed a four-year $1.92 million deal with a signing bonus of $129,000. Onobun, considered a risky pick, made the St. Louis Rams opening day roster in 2010. He was waived during final cuts on September 3, 2011.

Seattle Seahawks

On September 13, 2011, the Seattle Seahawks signed Onobun to their practice squad.

Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jacksonville Jaguars signed Onobun off of the Washington Redskins' practice squad on November 14, 2011.

Buffalo Bills

The Buffalo Bills signed Onobun on December 9, 2011. The signing comes after Onobun was waived by the Jacksonville Jaguars on December 6, 2011. Onobun was cut on August 26, 2012.

That cut and paste of yours pretty much summed it up. In the past, he has shown great measurables that didn't translate to making the team. Not sure if that cleared it up or not. The entire context of my thoughts were that some players never figure out how to play when the hitting starts. Guys like him stick around longer because the coaches see immense talent in hope that it will develop.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That cut and paste of yours pretty much summed it up. In the past, he has shown great measurables that didn't translate to making the team. Not sure if that cleared it up or not. The entire context of my thoughts were that some players never figure out how to play when the hitting starts. Guys like him stick around longer because the coaches see immense talent in hope that it will develop.

Not to get snarky or anything, but do you realize that he only played organized football in his 5th year of college? How quickly to you expect a guy with that little experience coming into the league to develop? He was on the Rams in 2010 and bounced around the league in 2011. I haven't been able to figure out what he did last year after he got cut by the Bills at the end of camp last year, but evidently he kept himself in good shape.

Personally, it makes sense to me that he's just starting to "get it" now.

Not to get snarky or anything, but do you realize that he only played organized football in his 5th year of college? How quickly to you expect a guy with that little experience coming into the league to develop? He was on the Rams in 2010 and bounced around the league in 2011. I haven't been able to figure out what he did last year after he got cut by the Bills at the end of camp last year, but evidently he kept himself in good shape.

Personally, it makes sense to me that he's just starting to "get it" now.

I dont think it is about him getting it now, you cant really develop when your not in the league.I think we will just use him as a WR type of TE and not expect much from his blocking. Then maybe somewhere along the line he will develop.

I don't see it as snarky, maybe a little nit picky. It doesn't matter how or why he failed to make teams in the past. It also doesn't matter how long he has played the game. What does matter is if he can play.

I don't see it as snarky, maybe a little nit picky. It doesn't matter how or why he failed to make teams in the past. It also doesn't matter how long he has played the game. What does matter is if he can play.

I agree that he has to be able to play. However, it used to be an expectation that most WR take 3 years to really understand how to be an NFL receiver - and that's usually with 4 years of experience in college. I would expect that the route running and blocking assignments for a TE would be similar. Add to that just comprehending the scheme and the length of time to develop just makes sense to me.

You are correct that he does have to be able to play the game, but the comments in the article acknowledge that he was previously still developing and indicate that there is belief that he may have turned a corner in that development.

Anyone suggesting that he will put up ridiculous numbers or might be pro-bowl bound are delusional, but there is sufficient, yet tempered opinon that he could possibly exceed last year's performance by Kellen Davis (not much of an expectation really) IF he continues to improve.

No point in putting him on the 53 man roster yet, but there is cause for cautious optimism.

Well said. I was a little skeptical at first, and still am...but your logic makes sense. It's possible we just may have lucked into a good guy with perfect timing on his career path.

I agree that he has to be able to play. However, it used to be an expectation that most WR take 3 years to really understand how to be an NFL receiver - and that's usually with 4 years of experience in college. I would expect that the route running and blocking assignments for a TE would be similar. Add to that just comprehending the scheme and the length of time to develop just makes sense to me.

You are correct that he does have to be able to play the game, but the comments in the article acknowledge that he was previously still developing and indicate that there is belief that he may have turned a corner in that development.

Anyone suggesting that he will put up ridiculous numbers or might be pro-bowl bound are delusional, but there is sufficient, yet tempered opinon that he could possibly exceed last year's performance by Kellen Davis (not much of an expectation really) IF he continues to improve.

No point in putting him on the 53 man roster yet, but there is cause for cautious optimism.

Agreed!

• 5 weeks later...
You were all warned... :P

QUOTE (Mongo3451 @ May 29 2013, 12:47 AM) *

If he develops, yes. But, there is a reason hes been bouncing from team to team. Until he shows he can be trusted, he can't be. I would love to see E-Rod become our Tom Rathman.

Agreed, after 3 years the Bears are his 6th team. I imagine each team saw the measurable when they signed him but not the talent on the practice field. Hope he turns out great tho

I was there with you. Too many teams saw nothing for there t be anything left to find.