Rodriguez strike two

Alaskan Grizzly

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasted pick when it happened, wasted potential when he got switched to FB and got minimally used, and now he's likely to fulfill the trifecta of waste...wasted talent.

NOW you can say a wasted pick. A 4th rounder should be more part of our plans than playing FB, when last year our weakness was at TE.

NOW you can say a wasted pick. A 4th rounder should be more part of our plans than playing FB, when last year our weakness was at TE.

This is not 20/20 hindsight. I didn't like the pick then because I thought it was a luxury with plainly obvious greater needs. Once they had him on roster, I begrudgingly embraced it and hoped they would use him to his fullest edge as a hybrid TE (I.e. last year's usage), like Hernandez. That didn't work out either. Now the dude looks like a turd...a waste all around.

It's clear now that nobody wants Tebow as a QB in this league. The market for competition for backup QBs is always strong, at least strong enough for a player with some capability to be allowed into camp to compete for a job as a backup. Not for Tebow anymore! I'd say the circus that comes to town with him hurst his chances too because between his ego and the media's demand for him to play he won't accept a true backup role.

Now if he were to change his mind and decide he prefers to stay in the league even if it means changing to a new position would there be interest? I'm going this way because I've felt that Tebow can be a productive H-back in this league, maybe a true TE albeit one who is less inline blocker.

Lots of if's here but I just want to see which way the wind is blowing. IF Tebow were to come out and be willing to play H-back, and if we decide to move on from Rodriguez, would anyone be interested in signing Tebow?

I'm interested myself however I find it difficult to commit to the guy so IMO we'd have to sign two players and let them compete. Tebow and the rest of the world would have to know he's fighting for a job so the media and his circus would tone down the hype. No guarantees for him. I can't see that he'd accept that right now.

We'll need to see where Rodriquez ends up in camp. A DUI could mean the Bears would need to carry him on the roster through any potential suspension and that might be enough to get him cut. But all the "sky is falling" crap over a DUI is ridiculous. I know, he has a history... And he may just be an idiot who needs to be cut. But that stuff last year was dropped and the kid made a mistake this year. One I'd venture to guess most posters here have made and gotten away with. I know I've driven when I shouldn't have. Got lucky. I'm 48 now and don't make idiot moves like that anymore but when I was in my 20's I did.

So give it a break. The Bears will do what's best for the Bears on this guy and that's good enough for me.

PS. I'm not condoning what he did so if you're going to jump up and down about drunk driving, I get it. But he should get the same punishment as anyone else would out there and that means, to me, the fine he's going to pay to society. I know if I made the same mistake I wouldn't expect my company to fire me for it.

PSS. No, I don't want Tebow on the Bears at any position under any circumstances.

We'll need to see where Rodriquez ends up in camp. A DUI could mean the Bears would need to carry him on the roster through any potential suspension and that might be enough to get him cut. But all the "sky is falling" crap over a DUI is ridiculous. I know, he has a history... And he may just be an idiot who needs to be cut. But that stuff last year was dropped and the kid made a mistake this year. One I'd venture to guess most posters here have made and gotten away with. I know I've driven when I shouldn't have. Got lucky. I'm 48 now and don't make idiot moves like that anymore but when I was in my 20's I did.

So give it a break. The Bears will do what's best for the Bears on this guy and that's good enough for me.

PS. I'm not condoning what he did so if you're going to jump up and down about drunk driving, I get it. But he should get the same punishment as anyone else would out there and that means, to me, the fine he's going to pay to society. I know if I made the same mistake I wouldn't expect my company to fire me for it.

PSS. No, I don't want Tebow on the Bears at any position under any circumstances.

It all depends on your type of work. If I got a DUI I would expect to be fired on the spot and also would expect to have an extremely difficult time finding another job in same line of work. But tha changes with every job

Agreed. ....At least the board is consistent with what happened with Webb and now Rodriguez.

Chalk it up to boys being boys

I'm on the side of second chances as well. What we don't know is if there are other transgressions Rodriguez has made regarding his behavior on the team, locker room etc. We just don't know what our new coaches and front office think of him at this point and so I think it's a real possibility he gets cut or at least someone else is brought in for a serious competition at that position.

I'm all for second chances.. Even third chances if you're really really good, but this was Rodriguez's second chance that he blew if you count the charges that were dropped from his first arrest a few months back. I don't care what they do with him, but if they cut him, I can't say they didn't give him a shot to prove himself. It's simple, just stop getting into trouble. Time to grow up and start acting like a real adult with responsibilities. I have no sympathy for people who act like idiots when under the influence of drugs/alcohol.

The new math? Bullshit.

It is his second arrest of the off-season, so he's obviously not staying out of trouble. He shouldn't be putting himself into these positions in the first place. I'm all for taking chances on players with questionable character, but when a pattern is developed early, and that player is kind of a scrub, my tolerance level for that kind of behavior is pretty low.

Meanwhile, Emery's draft last year is kind of looking like it sucked. Alshon Jeffery is about the only pick that is looking halfway decent at this point.