Editorial: Im bored

Stinger226

This is a bad time of the year for me,as far as the Bears go, BUT they keep making moves that has keep my interest somewhat.We will look back as this year as a GOOD new beginning or a bunch of bad decisions.

New coach

New OL and OC

No Urlacher

New blood at LB

Almost a new OL

Some more weapons,a quality TE

He is tweaking the roster big time

New offensive scheme(again)

Conclusion: We have rebuilt the OL(long overdue), got some new minds to actually give us a modern NFL offense, and continually remaking the roster. I think how this turns out will take more than a year to do a proper evaluation. I think the most important thing going forward is how well Trestman and Cutler get on the same page. We have a team that is close to making the playoffs, but if it doesnt work out with Cutler, it will all turn to shit. He is the key to how successful we do this year. He is at the end of his contract, so I think he will be motivated to succeed and Trestman will turn out to be a good NFL head coach. Points, we now have some more weapons to spread the offense around. Jeffery will start to excel, Bennett signing will be huge, and Forte will have a huge year. I think the OL will be a work in progress but will get better as the year goes on, and we slip into the playoffs with a 10-6 record.

WHAT SAY YOU

This is a bad time of the year for me,as far as the Bears go, BUT they keep making moves that has keep my interest somewhat.We will look back as this year as a GOOD new beginning or a bunch of bad decisions.

New coach

New OL and OC

No Urlacher

New blood at LB

Almost a new OL

Some more weapons,a quality TE

He is tweaking the roster big time

New offensive scheme(again)

Conclusion: We have rebuilt the OL(long overdue), got some new minds to actually give us a modern NFL offense, and continually remaking the roster. I think how this turns out will take more than a year to do a proper evaluation. I think the most important thing going forward is how well Trestman and Cutler get on the same page. We have a team that is close to making the playoffs, but if it doesnt work out with Cutler, it will all turn to shit. He is the key to how successful we do this year. He is at the end of his contract, so I think he will be motivated to succeed and Trestman will turn out to be a good NFL head coach. Points, we now have some more weapons to spread the offense around. Jeffery will start to excel, Bennett signing will be huge, and Forte will have a huge year. I think the OL will be a work in progress but will get better as the year goes on, and we slip into the playoffs with a 10-6 record.

WHAT SAY YOU

I agree. I didn't expect the complete overhaul they are doing but I do like it. Cutler said it takes 3 to get an offense completely down something he hasn't had since coming here. What I'm looking for is the offense becoming at least a respected offense instead of the pile of crap we've had lately. And team making the playoffs. That's all. Anything else is great. If that happens that would mean cutler gets an extension and we can then start thinking bigger goals realistically

Barring some splitting of hairs, I agree as well.

I agree. I didn't expect the complete overhaul they are doing but I do like it. Cutler said it takes 3 to get an offense completely down something he hasn't had since coming here. What I'm looking for is the offense becoming at least a respected offense instead of the pile of crap we've had lately. And team making the playoffs. That's all. Anything else is great. If that happens that would mean cutler gets an extension and we can then start thinking bigger goals realistically

You gotta love the slap in the face Trestman is giving Lovie by totally cleaning house like he was taking over the Cleveland Browns. I'm not saying I know it'll work out for the better, but you can't say Trestman doesn't have some cojones.

Nail on the head. How much change does a 10-6 team need? I hope he proves to be right, but it reeks of "new manager attempting to change things for the sake of change."

Nail on the head. How much change does a 10-6 team need? I hope he proves to be right, but it reeks of "new manager attempting to change things for the sake of change."

We both know the OLine sucked every since Cutler has been here, so rebuilding that is not change for sake of change.

Disagree with the first part, agree with the second.

I think if he was trying to "slap Lovie" he'd be retooling the Defense. What he's doing is what he was hired to do, "attempt" to build a respectable offense. I really don't see much in the way of large cajones especially given he's currently got 90 players on the roster? As the old adage suggests: "you throw enough crap at a wall eventually some of it will stick". And what I mean in that is with that many players available to you, you should be able to field a respectable team.

Disagree with the first part, agree with the second.

I think if he was trying to "slap Lovie" he'd be retooling the Defense. What he's doing is what he was hired to do, "attempt" to build a respectable offense. I really don't see much in the way of large cajones especially given he's currently got 90 players on the roster? As the old adage suggests: "you throw enough crap at a wall eventually some of it will stick". And what I mean in that is with that many players available to you, you should be able to field a respectable team.

While I believe that nobody is trying to slap Lovie, I will disagree on your defensive comments. Why would someone be so foolish as to dismantle a team strength just to slap someone? Building an offense is essentially a slap to Lovie anyway.

The vast majority of changes are seriously warranted. A couple could be debated at this juncture, but we will find out how it all shakes out soon enough.

Agreed.

...and building an offense isn't a slap in Lovie's face. It's just completely alien to him.

While I believe that nobody is trying to slap Lovie, I will disagree on your defensive comments. Why would someone be so foolish as to dismantle a team strength just to slap someone? Building an offense is essentially a slap to Lovie anyway.

Not much if you want to stay 10-6 and miss the playoffs again. That's not the goal, nor should it be and to stay pat, or make minor tweaks as we've done in years past did not work. If we were close to the Superbowl I'd say we shouldn't be making such drastic changes.

We have a new coaching staff and new playbooks. Less so on defense which validates Jason's point...how much change did a successful unit need? Other than losing Urlacher, who based on league-wide interest was at the end of his career, we have the same defense with a few new rookies at LB and vets to replace Urlacher. Essentially we changed out Urlacher and added depth and youth where it was sorely needed for the past few years.

Yet the offense has not been successful in years. The major change for the team is really 1) a new offensive scheme and 2) 80% of the Oline being new. Aside from that we have the same top 3 WR, same top 2 RB, same QB.

Isn't that what we've been asking for?

Well said...

Not much if you want to stay 10-6 and miss the playoffs again. That's not the goal, nor should it be and to stay pat, or make minor tweaks as we've done in years past did not work. If we were close to the Superbowl I'd say we shouldn't be making such drastic changes.

We have a new coaching staff and new playbooks. Less so on defense which validates Jason's point...how much change did a successful unit need? Other than losing Urlacher, who based on league-wide interest was at the end of his career, we have the same defense with a few new rookies at LB and vets to replace Urlacher. Essentially we changed out Urlacher and added depth and youth where it was sorely needed for the past few years.

Yet the offense has not been successful in years. The major change for the team is really 1) a new offensive scheme and 2) 80% of the Oline being new. Aside from that we have the same top 3 WR, same top 2 RB, same QB.

You gotta love the slap in the face Trestman is giving Lovie by totally cleaning house like he was taking over the Cleveland Browns. I'm not saying I know it'll work out for the better, but you can't say Trestman doesn't have some cojones.

I don't get the perception that anyone is cleaning house. We signed a new TE, an OLT, a couple of cheap FA guards and let Urlacher retire. I don't think any of our draft picks would have been any different if Lovie had stayed. Sure the OL has been upgraded and 2 of 3 LB will be different, but that is hardly a "house cleaning".

I don't get the perception that anyone is cleaning house. We signed a new TE, an OLT, a couple of cheap FA guards and let Urlacher retire. I don't think any of our draft picks would have been any different if Lovie had stayed. Sure the OL has been upgraded and 2 of 3 LB will be different, but that is hardly a "house cleaning".

Upgrading positions is not exactly cleaning house, it is just the evolution of a team getting better.

Upgrading positions is not exactly cleaning house, it is just the evolution of a team getting better.

Exactly. The only difference I see if Lovie had stayed would be that Urlacher might have been re-signed. A new OC would have been required, a new TE would have made sense, and while the new olinemen might have been different if the scheme was different, I can't see how any of these moves could be considered a house cleaning much less a slap in anyone's face.

Exactly. The only difference I see if Lovie had stayed would be that Urlacher might have been re-signed. A new OC would have been required, a new TE would have made sense, and while the new olinemen might have been different if the scheme was different, I can't see how any of these moves could be considered a house cleaning much less a slap in anyone's face.

Yep....what he said. The major change at this point is the team went away from a defensive minded coach to one that better understands offense. And Urlacher retired.

Yes nice point and you didn't even mention the pass catching and blocking TE'S we brought in