Training Camp Surprise

AZ54

We're one week out from the start of training camp and it's time to get a feel for the players everyone is expecting to have a breakout season.

I'm expecting Alshon Jeffrey to step up this year. He worked hard this offseason and is in far better shape than he was last year. I also think he learned some valuable lessons in those late games with all his pass interference penalties and will be more subtle in how he uses his size advantage this season.

We're one week out from the start of training camp and it's time to get a feel for the players everyone is expecting to have a breakout season.

I'm expecting Alshon Jeffrey to step up this year. He worked hard this offseason and is in far better shape than he was last year. I also think he learned some valuable lessons in those late games with all his pass interference penalties and will be more subtle in how he uses his size advantage this season.

Most of those interference penalties were complete horse shit. But I agree, he'll have a much better season and is a good candidate for this thread. I hope someone like Long steps up and dominates so huge in the O Line that the coaches have no question about his being "the man" for wherever he ends up playing. And someone will have to step up in our linebacking corps, I assume it'll be Lance but if Williams can bounce back from having issues last year, he's a good candidate too. If it isn't him, one of our rooks will need to step up faster than expected or we'll get run on all season.

To me, Jeffrey won't and shouldn't be a "surprise". I expect him to be better.

If I were to hope and go out on a limb as to a true surprise, I will go with S Brandon Hardin. He was injured last year, he's off the radar, and he could surprise.

Who knows?

Although I agree that Jeffery should be better, if he came out this year and really played at a high level consistently, which he would seem to be capable of, it would be a great addition to the team and a bit of a surprise gift....

I would love it if Long came out and really shocked all with a high level of play right from the start.

Hardin does seem possible as a surprise, he is way off the radar and if he could stay healthy would seem to have all of the attributes to excel.

And at the risk of voicing no original thoughts whatsoever, I would love one of the three new LB's, if not two, to have a great year and show all-pro caliber capacity....

I personally love the addition of TE Bennett to our lineup and feel he will be a huge weapon for Cutler. Many on this forum seem to under value him do to his lack of production with Dallas. In Dallas he was frustrated sitting behind Whitten. In his one year in NY he played very well. Bennett would not qualify as a "surprise" to me but I think he will surprise the many on the forum who seem to dismiss his value.

I also agree with many on this thread that Hardin has the potential to be a big plus this year.

I like Hardin's athletic ability and potential but it's hard for me to believe a guy who has played very little football over the last three seasons will suddenly play at a high level. I think he's a year away from that. That is if he stays healthy for most of the season and can participate in practices and perhaps get some game reps.

I'm gonna go outside the box and give you 2 guys I HOPE are surprises....

Fendi Onubun- If things ever click for him he's going to be a nightmare.

Harvey Unga- I don't know a damn thing about the new FB the Bears signed but he seems more like a traditional FB and I really wanted to see the Bears utilize an H-Back instead. I've been quietly pulling for Unga to take that role since they cut ERod. Unga has really good hands and he has a FBs body.

Oh and of course the guy who I think will surprise???

J'Marcus Webb....

Though I bet every article written about him will be taken as strictly a "fluff piece" on here.

Harvey Unga- I don't know a damn thing about the new FB the Bears signed but he seems more like a traditional FB and I really wanted to see the Bears utilize an H-Back instead. I've been quietly pulling for Unga to take that role since they cut ERod. Unga has really good hands and he has a FBs body.

J'Marcus Webb....

Though I bet every article written about him will be taken as strictly a "fluff piece" on here.

I guarantee you everyone on this board would love to see Webb surprise us. Despite criticisms and disagreements everyone here is a die-hard Bears fan. However, most of us have given up waiting for him to "get it".

I've given up on ever seeing anything out of Unga and I'm not sure why he's still with the team.

If Fendi has figured out how to play that would be awesome pairing him up with Bennett. He really needs to stand out in preseason games.

J'Marcus Webb....

I would love to see Webb surprise us but I just don't see it. I was a big supporter of unga when we got him in the supplemental draft but at this point I think I would drop dead of heart attack if he even played in a game

Unga is a player who has never been given the opportunity to play the position scouts thought he'd be relegated to, FB. Given the opportunity to play FB I think he may surprise, esp. if Trestman wants to throw the ball to the FB like he has in the past.

My thoughts on Webb are well documented here so it would be no surprise to me to see him surprise other who have hated him. I just think getting him off the proverbial island will do a lot in covering up his biggest weakness which is playing in space. Getting help against tough speed pass rushers from the OG will help a lot. I'm not saying he'll be an all pro but I think this year will be the year he's no longer Chicagos favorite whipping boy.

Unga is a player who has never been given the opportunity to play the position scouts thought he'd be relegated to, FB. Given the opportunity to play FB I think he may surprise, esp. if Trestman wants to throw the ball to the FB like he has in the past.

My thoughts on Webb are well documented here so it would be no surprise to me to see him surprise other who have hated him. I just think getting him off the proverbial island will do a lot in covering up his biggest weakness which is playing in space. Getting help against tough speed pass rushers from the OG will help a lot. I'm not saying he'll be an all pro but I think this year will be the year he's no longer Chicagos favorite whipping boy.

Every time it appears unga is going to be given an opportunity something always comes up. I.e getting hurt or leaving camp for personal issues. This is why I've given up on him

Chicago has to have a favorite whipping boy. So if u believe Webb won't be that guy anymore then who do you think will be that guy besides cutler of course.

Every time it appears unga is going to be given an opportunity something always comes up. I.e getting hurt or leaving camp for personal issues. This is why I've given up on him

Chicago has to have a favorite whipping boy. So if u believe Webb won't be that guy anymore then who do you think will be that guy besides cutler of course.

I don't think we have to have a whipping boy, esp if the Bears are successful....

But if I had to pick someone I'd say Kelvin Hayden. I really would have liked to see a CB drafted as I don't think Hayden is that great and the secondary might suffer.

Urga never sees the field due to injuries and personal stuff, I dont think it has anything to do with not getting a chance. Hopefull Webb plays better, He hasnt been close to being good so far in his career.