Cutler's interceptions in training camp

Bears4Ever_34

It could be just me, but it sure seems like Cutler has been throwing an inordinate amount of interceptions thus far during the offseason, albeit in training camp. The bulk of them coming from the 1st play of practice!

I don't know what to make of it. Should we be worried that he's not adjusting to the system very well? Or is this just something you can sweep under the rug because it's meaningless, and QB's like to test their limits during practices?

The defense has clearly been light years ahead of the offense so far in camp, but I'm curious to see if the offense will ever come around before the start of the season. We all know that Trestman's offense is one of the most complex to learn. I just have this sinking feeling that Cutler might not be the right man for this offense. He's never been a guy who gets rid of the ball quickly. I guess we'll just have to wait and see..

It could be just me, but it sure seems like Cutler has been throwing an inordinate amount of interceptions thus far during the offseason, albeit in training camp. The bulk of them coming from the 1st play of practice!

I don't know what to make of it. Should we be worried that he's not adjusting to the system very well? Or is this just something you can sweep under the rug because it's meaningless, and QB's like to test their limits during practices?

The defense has clearly been light years ahead of the offense so far in camp, but I'm curious to see if the offense will ever come around before the start of the season. We all know that Trestman's offense is one of the most complex to learn. I just have this sinking feeling that Cutler might not be the right man for this offense. He's never been a guy who gets rid of the ball quickly. I guess we'll just have to wait and see..

New offense, nothing to be worried about just yet. The entire offense needs to make as many mistakes now so that they can learn from them now and fix before the regular season.

Two thoughts on this. First, this will be the first test in the 'QB whisperers' ability to coach. Cutler has always had a propensity to the turnover, most times because he rushes things when he does throw the INT. So by the very nature of the WCO, he may find the adjustment difficult.

Secondly, a player like Steve Young (who himself was not known for the quick release) swears by Trestmans ability. So the rescipe is there. Question is, will it be gourmet or disastrous?

As I've said before, and I will repeat, I hope that the TEAM does well. I have my doubts in what Trestman can do. And so far I have been slowly losing faith in Cutlers ability. But like I have for the last 40+ years, I'll watch each Sunday and hope (like I always do) for the wins.

I'm not worried at all considering it's an entirely new offense and we're only two weeks into a 6 week preseason. In fact I'm very optimistic considering all the TDs the offense is scoring in red zone situations against our D. That is where the precision and timing are most needed to be effective and Cutler's been doing it well the past week. The coaches continue to introduce new plays and sometimes there are mistakes made. Just make them now and learn that's what camp is for.

I'm not worried at all considering it's an entirely new offense and we're only two weeks into a 6 week preseason. In fact I'm very optimistic considering all the TDs the offense is scoring in red zone situations against our D. That is where the precision and timing are most needed to be effective and Cutler's been doing it well the past week. The coaches continue to introduce new plays and sometimes there are mistakes made. Just make them now and learn that's what camp is for.

Echo your sentiments. Plus its training camp...a lot of picks get thrown by all QB's.

I am optimistic as well. But, don't get me wrong, Cutler scares the crap outta me. For one reason or another, he has not lived up to billing in Chicago. The only optimism I have is that this is the only offensive minded staff Cutler has seen since becoming a Bear.

I've been critical in the past of Cutler's ability to one) get rid of the ball quickly, two) anticipate the receiver coming open, three) accept the checkdown and four) be completely receptive to coaching.

More later...

I would actually say this is the one time of the year where you want to be a little gunslinger some of the time. This is when you test, and find, your limits...when it doesn't count. Every pick is a lesson learned. It's one of the advantages of being named the unconditional #1 QB early. Of course Cutler also needs to learn to excercise self-control for extended periods of time, but both can be practiced, albeit not at the same time.

I would actually say this is the one time of the year where you want to be a little gunslinger some of the time. This is when you test, and find, your limits...when it doesn't count. Every pick is a lesson learned. It's one of the advantages of being named the unconditional #1 QB early. Of course Cutler also needs to learn to excercise self-control for extended periods of time, but both can be practiced, albeit not at the same time.

excellent post.

I realize everyone jumps on the qb first, but could it be a problem of the WR's not being where they are supposed to be.?

Or blockers not doing there job and forcing the QB to adjust and move around or out of the pocket and look for other options.

Or bad play calling/scheming that defenses can easily read and defend. Part of that "we have an entire package of plays for Hester" deal that rarely worked. I have always wondered just how easily opposing defenses could diagnose our plays based on down/distance/formation/personnel. Of course part of being a great offense is having them know what's coming and being effective at it anyway. That is what our defense has done for many years with a rather basic scheme overall.

Or blockers not doing there job and forcing the QB to adjust and move around or out of the pocket and look for other options.

Or bad play calling/scheming that defenses can easily read and defend.

You make a good a point. It could be a variety of things. Without actually being at camp and being able to analyze each throw, I have no clue whether I should be concerned about his picks or not. In practice. (Think Alan Iverson when you read that last line.)

I'm concerned about having a new offense, period. New coaching staffs don't tend to have winning records. And with our line still having question marks on it, yeah, I'm concerned that Nerdman's Flying Circus is going to blow up.

Part of that "we have an entire package of plays for Hester" deal that rarely worked.

Well, that and you have to have a coaching staff truly committed to those plays which I never felt Lovie was. Not sure if it was balls or something else. Historically the play would be called, we'd practically telegraph it, and then it would fail and we wouldn't see anything like it for the rest of the month.

I've been critical in the past of Cutler's ability to one) get rid of the ball quickly, two) anticipate the receiver coming open, three) accept the checkdown and four) be completely receptive to coaching.

More later...

And that's what this offense will need to succeed. I'm not sure a 30 year old QB can change that much about his style of play in one offseason or if he will mentally be able to.

Didn't think Rich Gannon would ever amount to crap either...

Yea, but they are complete opposites. Gannon's abilities and history are more of a liking to a Kyle Orton.

I won't write a thousand word rant on why Cutler will fail in this offense, I'm still hoping I'm wrong. I can't wait to see what it looks like on the field vs. Cincy.

This is nothing. Last preseason, Charles Tillman got torched by Ramses Barden in game 3 of the preseason and that mattered more than practices before game 1 of the preseason. So, no, this means nothing.

Two thoughts on this. First, this will be the first test in the 'QB whisperers' ability to coach. Cutler has always had a propensity to the turnover, most times because he rushes things when he does throw the INT. So by the very nature of the WCO, he may find the adjustment difficult.

Secondly, a player like Steve Young (who himself was not known for the quick release) swears by Trestmans ability. So the rescipe is there. Question is, will it be gourmet or disastrous?

As I've said before, and I will repeat, I hope that the TEAM does well. I have my doubts in what Trestman can do. And so far I have been slowly losing faith in Cutlers ability. But like I have for the last 40+ years, I'll watch each Sunday and hope (like I always do) for the wins.

This statement is false because this system is eerily similar to what he ran in Denver with Shanahan.

This statement is false because this system is eerily similar to what he ran in Denver with Shanahan.

It means nothing if it continues through preseason and stops in the regular season. Until then and as Mongo said; "more to come".

As far as Cutlers experience with the WCO. True, he does have experience with an "eerily similar" passing scheme but since then he has developed a nasty habit of holding the ball. Similar to a Roethlisberger. The WCO demands short and decisive passes moreso than the long bombs ala "Air Coryell". Is Cutler capable of doing that still? Others here, as do I question that.

And with the WCO of his Denver days, Cutler received protection from the zone blocking scheme set up by smaller and more agile linemen. Is that what Chicago has? Outside of Long, probably not. Maybe Bushrod too as he seems to have done better with a quick release QB (Brees). Which brings us back to question #1.

It means nothing if it continues through preseason and stops in the regular season. Until then and as Mongo said; "more to come".

As far as Cutlers experience with the WCO. True, he does have experience with an "eerily similar" passing scheme but since then he has developed a nasty habit of holding the ball. Similar to a Roethlisberger. The WCO demands short and decisive passes moreso than the long bombs ala "Air Coryell". Is Cutler capable of doing that still? Others here, as do I question that.

And with the WCO of his Denver days, Cutler received protection from the zone blocking scheme set up by smaller and more agile linemen. Is that what Chicago has? Outside of Long, probably not. Maybe Bushrod too as he seems to have done better with a quick release QB (Brees). Which brings us back to question #1.

Ya can't throw the ball quick when the WRs don't get open. Cutler hasn't had the weapons in the past. Sure he's had BM recently but when that's all you got teams are gonna double him and receivers will still struggle to get open. If Alshon develops into more of a threat this year and you throw in Martellus plus a more involved Forte then the receivers should be getting open quicker and on a more consistent basis.

He is getting back to something similar to a zone scheme in terms of the pass protection. At least that is what I hear in Bushrod's comments. I don't think the technique is the same as ZBS and I don't believe that is how we will run block (i.e the short drop step at the snap). I'll leave it up to the Oline experts here to decipher that stuff.

Consider that New Orleans had Bushrod, Nicks, and others who I don't think were considered the lighter quicker ZBS types and they did just fine.

Consider that New Orleans had Bushrod, Nicks, and others who I don't think were considered the lighter quicker ZBS types and they did just fine.

But, again the point why those guys may have done well is because Brees is quick release, Cutler not so.

The way I see this playing out good for Jay is either he learns to quick throw or the blocking will allow him to throw on the run or out of pocket (ala Denver) or similar to how Steve Young played. I sense option two as we hear how that is one of his major strengths.

The scheme Cutler was in with the Broncos was unique to Mike Shanahan & Gary Kubiak, so it's not the same ZBS that Kromer runs. From what I have read, it certainly sounds like the Trestman offense is one of the most complex in the NFL. Curious to know how it compares to Mike Martz, who was notorious for running an offense that was difficult to grasp.

These 4 pre-season games will be helpful in determining whether or not the offense has the basic principles down, because that's all we will get to see, according to Trestman. A lot of vanilla.