Kyle Long

AZ54

Lost in all the Webb "demotion" chatter was the fact that Kyle Long is also now playing with the 1st team. Trestman stuck to the company line about how this was all part of the plan. I wasn't impressed with Brown in the first game as he seemed to get pushed backward too easily. In fact the sack on Cutler that is blamed on Webb missing his block also happened because Brown missed his block and that didn't allow Cutler to step up into the middle of the pocket and forced him wide to where he got sacked.

On the plays I was able to focus on Kyle Long he did ok and most times he held his ground better than Brown. Not sure on the run blocking other than a couple plays where he pulled and opened some decent lanes. Given all the practices he's missed I think Long will quickly pass Brown in overall performance as he gets comfortable with the blocking calls. That doesn't mean he'll be great just that the bar set by Brown isn't that high IMO.

Not that anyone believes in PFF besides me but Long ranked 2nd in rookie ratings for the first preseason game.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/...eseason-week-1/

20. Kyle Long, G, Chicago Bears

Grade: +2.3

Snaps: 53 snaps with second string

Analysis: A near-perfect day in pass protection was the big reason for Long’s grade, with a lone bull rush being his only surrendered pressure. He did a nice job of attacking defenders in space, both in the running and screen games.

I believe in their data as one objective way to grade Oline. The fact Emery uses their data speaks to that as well despite the claims of others here. For you, me, and most importantly Emery it is just one piece of data. Do you know how Mills graded?

I don't know how Mills graded yet, they only did the first and 2nd rounds today.

This is what they said about Bostic.

50. Jon Bostic, MLB, Chicago Bears

Grade: +1.4

Snaps: 27 snaps with the starters

Analysis: Bostic had one of the plays of the game as he read quarterback Cam Newton’s eyes, jumped his pass, and took it back for a touchdown. He has some work to do in the running game as he overshot a gap and got handled at the second level a couple times, but overall, a nice first week for Bostic.

I don't know how Mills graded yet, they only did the first and 2nd rounds today.

This is what they said about Bostic.

Hmm... Just wondering aloud here. Any way you'd be able to see what was said back in 2000 when a former Safety turned LB (drafted by the Bears) was making his first plays in the preseason? With his experience at safety one would think he too would be good "at reading the eyes" with a tendancy to "over pursue" due to his speed.

Urlacher who?

Hmm... Just wondering aloud here. Any way you'd be able to see what was said back in 2000 when a former Safety turned LB (drafted by the Bears) was making his first plays in the preseason? With his experience at safety one would think he too would be good "at reading the eyes" with a tendancy to "over pursue" due to his speed.

Urlacher who?

Ha, the archives only go back to 2009. Would have been interesting to see though.

In fact the sack on Cutler that is blamed on Webb missing his block also happened because Brown missed his block and that didn't allow Cutler to step up into the middle of the pocket and forced him wide to where he got sacked.

I would almost say that Brown's whiff was worse because tackles are supposed to let their guys get behind them some (though not quite as much as Webb did)...just enough to push them behind the QB as the QB steps up.

But what happened next was Webb's man adjusted to Cutler's step-up by juking back towards the LoS and Webb was so slow to react that he kept running backwards, letting his man get back in front of him, even though Webb had perfect position to prevent that. So it was a double whammy. It made him look slow, both physically and mentally.

Not that anyone believes in PFF besides me but Long ranked 2nd in rookie ratings for the first preseason game.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/...eseason-week-1/

PFF is just a tool to use in an overall evaluation, one of many different ways to view a player. Obviously to use Webb as a example, PFF is not the first tool to use in an observation.

PFF is just a tool to use in an overall evaluation, one of many different ways to view a player. Obviously to use Webb as a example, PFF is not the first tool to use in an observation.

Sooo disregard the whole Long grading I posted? AZ shouldn't have even asked me what Mills graded.

I didn't get to the point of grading plays with PFF, but I know these guys look at every play. It takes 7 hours to watch and grade 1 game, they put a lot of work into those grades.

Sooo disregard the whole Long grading I posted? AZ shouldn't have even asked me what Mills graded.

I didn't get to the point of grading plays with PFF, but I know these guys look at every play. It takes 7 hours to watch and grade 1 game, they put a lot of work into those grades.

Problem I have is when ppl use a single source like PFF as the word of god. I'm not taking a shot at anyone. This is just a general statement. There are several other places just like PFF that breaks down games play by play just like PFF and in many cases u will see they disagree with each other. No 1 site is perfect. Just like when I hear some point out a specific stat to make there points but completely ignores all other stats. Once again this is not taking a shot at anyone. Just general statement as I've seen some friends of mine do this same thing. Drives me nuts

Problem I have is when ppl use a single source like PFF as the word of god. I'm not taking a shot at anyone. This is just a general statement. There are several other places just like PFF that breaks down games play by play just like PFF and in many cases u will see they disagree with each other. No 1 site is perfect. Just like when I hear some point out a specific stat to make there points but completely ignores all other stats. Once again this is not taking a shot at anyone. Just general statement as I've seen some friends of mine do this same thing. Drives me nuts

What are some other sites? I'd love to check em out. PFF is the only one I know that breaks down OL play individually.

What are some other sites? I'd love to check em out. PFF is the only one I know that breaks down OL play individually.

Don't remember off hand but if I can find them others I'll let u know. I remember emery saying he used several sites including PFF. My only point overall is that all that is open for interpretation. Just because 1 person saw a play 1 way doesn't mean everyone will see exact same way

I agree on both points. You have to laugh when announcers will say a team has a great run defense because teams only average xxx yards per game yet they forget to mention their pass defense is so bad nobody wastes time trying to run against them.

I agree on both points. You have to laugh when announcers will say a team has a great run defense because teams only average xxx yards per game yet they forget to mention their pass defense is so bad nobody wastes time trying to run against them.

Yeah. I remember few yrs ago most tried making the point the raiders had an excellent pass defense and how great nmadi was. It was a friend of mine who was a raiders fan told me to watch 1 of there games and u will notice no one even bothers passing cuz there run D gave up 5 ypc and when they do pass they just target any where nmadi wasn't cuz the rest of the team was so bad. It was funny just watching. As a side note I hate how the NFL team rankings is purely based on # of yds while ignoring everything else that goes into offense and defense.

"They were fired up; they were excited to be out there," Cutler said of the rookie linemen. "Keep going with those guys and (offensive coordinator/line coach Aaron) Kromer will coach them up. There are some corrections to be made. But I was at ease having them in there, which is nice."

Looking like Cutler is in both the rookies corner and that is good. It is nice when the starting QB is excited about , and confortable with the people that are paid to keep him upright!

"They were fired up; they were excited to be out there," Cutler said of the rookie linemen. "Keep going with those guys and (offensive coordinator/line coach Aaron) Kromer will coach them up. There are some corrections to be made. But I was at ease having them in there, which is nice."

Looking like Cutler is in both the rookies corner and that is good. It is nice when the starting QB is excited about , and confortable with the people that are paid to keep him upright!

He better take 'em out for a steak dinner like good ol' #9 used to.

I was encouraged from what I saw of Long tonight. Great feet, base and hands. He is going to make rookie mistakes by the boatload, but is definately a bonafide stud in the making.

He has to work on technique but holy cripes are the tools there. Dude was a freakin stud last night and It was amazing to see. I look forward to seeing him grow and pancake the shit out of people. I hope he turns into a perennial all pro!!!

Long's ceiling is unreal. I was completely wrong. He looks like a perennial all-pro.

Peace :dabears

From an article posted back in April (which I copied from our talkbears archives):

Emery and the Bears rely on a metric he referred to as the "Athletic Index Score," which measures players "where they are as athletes," he said. According to Emery, Long earned the highest ranking of any offensive guard over the past 12 draft classes. Indeed, Long ran the best 40 time (4.94 seconds) of any guard at the NFL scouting combine. That's pretty quick for a 6-foot-6, 313-pound man.

I won't pretend to know what else goes into the "Athletic Index Score" or how relevant it is for an interior lineman. Emery said Long's lateral agility and feet make his every movement during a play impressive.

I'm usually one of the first to downplay measurables. NFL evaluaters have a tendency to overrely on them because they're so convenient, IMO. The only position I don't feel that way about is OL with respect to athleticism. I watch these behemoths in the NFL and I could swear that a third of my high school team would've been more athletic than some modern NFL O-linemen. The dropoff is that huge between all the other positions and the O-line, probably because big guys with agility get funneled to D-line in high school and college. My point is that, just as the NFL was 13 years ago at linebacker, I see the NFL as ripe for having an O-lineman come in and change the game with his athleticism and quickness. ...and just like Urlacher, Long is huge to boot, so he's kind of a freak. Not to put Long on a pedestal or anything; my thoughts are more driven by the nature of O-line in the NFL in general than Long, though obviously I hope he does turn into a perennial all-pro.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, after all, he's only started 5 games at OG. I type that with a big smile on my face. When was the last time we had our OG block his man backwards for 5 yards behind the LOS? ...and on a goal line play no less.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/368417643369213952

I understand that won't always happen but happening sometimes is a heck of a lot better than never, and long way from what we've endured the last few years.

I find this encouraging beyond just how well Long and Mills are doing but in future drafting of OL. How many colossal misses did JA have picking offensive linemen in the draft and how many much higher picks than Long or Mills that never panned out no matter how many chances they were given. It seems to me that Emery/Trestman seem to have a better system of evaluating OL in the draft than their predecessor. That bodes well for us. Let's just say for the sake of argument here that Long and Mills solidify the right side, Bushrod works out at LT and we get serviceable play out of Garza and who ever ends up as our LG. The next offseason of FA/Draft could provide us with the next two pieces to solidify the OL for the next several years. If that all happens it would have taken Emery 3 seasons to do what angelo failed to do in the years following the 2006 super bowl season when the line really began to go down hill. Angelo waited till it was a dire situation and then repeatedly failed to correct it either thru the draft or free agency.

Now this is early and Long and Mills have looked good thus far especially Long and a lot can happen in an NFL season, but, when was the last time we were excited about the play of our rookie offensive linemen at any point. It's always been "well he's a failure at that spot, maybe he can fit here" or wondering what kind of compromising photos the guy had to keep being given chances well after it was clear he didn't belong in the NFL. This start at least helps me feel more confident that this staff can finally fix what the previous one couldn't. And IMHO till that's fixed it won't matter who you put back behind center.