What we (I) learned today

CrackerDog

Based on watching other games, the Bears sloppy start isn't unusual.

Cutler can, in fact, bring his team back from a deficit.

The rooks on the line can play!

The FA pickups this year will contribute.

Nut is still GOOD.

Trestman can game plan and make halftime adjustments.

Gould is the best PK in the game today.

Hester didn't look special to me today but I'd still rather have him than play against him.

The D needs to tackle a LOT better. Briggs in particular.

The run to the outside on 4th and 1 showed guts. That play will often not work but it won us the game today.

I loved seeing us punt the ball inside the 10 yard line as often as we did early on.

Jeffrey has grown as a receiver since last year.

The Packers are tied for last!

THE GOOD

Cutler wasn't sacked all day

Cutler got rid of the ball quickly

Receivers were well coached into good positions, generally open

Forte looks good in the zone scheme

our CBs are turnover machines

Gould is great

Playcalling, and halftime adjustments

THE BAD

NO pass pressure on Dalton

People out of gaps on D, too many safeties making too many tackles

Running lanes were inconsistent for FOrte

Too many drops by WRs

Hester is ordinary

I liked a lot of what I saw today. We can build on this performance - there is a lOT of work to do, but they are up to it I believe.

Agreed on above offensive thoughts. I saw a lot of good things today from the offense, as mentioned in another thread. There is something to build on there.

As far as the defense is concerned; I saw good and bad. The good, is that we are still a turnover machine. The bad, is that I don't think we made enough plays with our front seven. Our LB's were weak tackling today and we had almost no pressure from the front four. Peppers looked old and Melton was nowhere to be seen. I'm going to hold out optimism that the gameplan called for what it did on that side of the ball. Here's to hope!

Special teams did their job today. Very solid, IMO.

I learned:

- The Bears offense has a long ways to go. In the first half, they looked like one of the worst teams in football. 96 yards of total offense, and the defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs. The 2nd half was much better.

- Defensively, I am concerned. The defensive line wasn't generating any pressure, which was putting Tillman, Jennings, and the rest of the secondary in a bad spot because they had to play perfectly, and they didn't. AJ Green torched them all game long, and they didn't seem interested in tackling either Eiffert nor Gresham when they caught the ball.

- The offensive line did much better than expected. They weren't perfect, but they more than sufficient. Didn't hear Geno Atkins name being mentioned at all in this game. Kyle Long and Jordan Mills look like the real deal so far.

If it weren't for the Bengals channeling their inner Detroit Lions and committing some moronic 15 yard penalties in dire situations, the Bears might not have won this game. Luckily, Cutler made some big plays in the 2nd half that won us the game after a bad interception that could have easily thrown it away.

Overall, the Bears showed glimpses of how good they can be if things click on offense. I think it's a very realistic possibility that the defense will fall out of that elite category by the end of the year, and it could be enough to keep them out of the playoffs. It will take a few more games to get a clearer picture of what this team is all about. They did just enough to win today against a pretty solid team. All of a sudden, the schedule is looking a little better right now with Minnesota and Pittsburgh looking pretty vulnerable after their week 1 losses.

I learned:

- The Bears offense has a long ways to go. In the first half, they looked like one of the worst teams in football. 96 yards of total offense, and the defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs. The 2nd half was much better.

- Defensively, I am concerned. The defensive line wasn't generating any pressure, which was putting Tillman, Jennings, and the rest of the secondary in a bad spot because they had to play perfectly, and they didn't. AJ Green torched them all game long, and they didn't seem interested in tackling either Eiffert nor Gresham when they caught the ball.

- The offensive line did much better than expected. They weren't perfect, but they more than sufficient. Didn't hear Geno Atkins name being mentioned at all in this game. Kyle Long and Jordan Mills look like the real deal so far.

If it weren't for the Bengals channeling their inner Detroit Lions and committing some moronic 15 yard penalties in dire situations, the Bears might not have won this game. Luckily, Cutler made some big plays in the 2nd half that won us the game after a bad interception that could have easily thrown it away.

Overall, the Bears showed glimpses of how good they can be if things click on offense. I think it's a very realistic possibility that the defense will fall out of that elite category by the end of the year, and it could be enough to keep them out of the playoffs. It will take a few more games to get a clearer picture of what this team is all about. They did just enough to win today against a pretty solid team. All of a sudden, the schedule is looking a little better right now with Minnesota and Pittsburgh looking pretty vulnerable after their week 1 losses.

Well put, upon reflection you are spot on.

Good observations. Especially the first point. I agree and believe had the Bengals not self-destructed, we would be discussing what went wrong in the Bears' loss. Once they (Bengals) blew the timeouts the wheels seemed to have come off the wagon and they lost their way. Mauluga was the icing on the cake. A better team would not have made those mistakes.

The defense could very well decline before the season is over. They were VERY vulnerable to the big play. The Bengals drove how many times for more than 80 yards? Had it not been for Peanut's individual effort, again this game would have easily turned out different.

Like Cracker, I strongly agree having Hester on the team is better than not. The Bengals kicked away from him more than to him on punts. He will return at least one (maybe more) before the season is over.

As someone else pointed out there seemed to be a lot of sloppiness on both sides of the field. As I sit and watch the Sunday night game, and Eli just threw his 3rd Int, I see it continue. Thank you CBA

It's game 1, don't get too high and don't get too low with one exception....our brand new Oline did not give up a single sack.

The Bengals didn't show much of their two TE offense in the preseason so we didn't have much to plan with. I was nervous as the second half started but after seeing what they were doing we improved in the second half. DJ Williams missed the entire preseason so he was rusty out there, he will get better but if he doesn't we'll be seeing the rookie before the end of the season. Pass rush was the biggest disappointment, not so much the sack total but the lack of pressure overall. Bengals Oline is really good but we were not showing any passion to get after the QB in the first half. It got better in the second half where they kept Dalton to quicker releases and that helped the secondary quite a bit.

Spot on CrackerDog!

Based on watching other games, the Bears sloppy start isn't unusual.

Cutler can, in fact, bring his team back from a deficit.

The rooks on the line can play!

The FA pickups this year will contribute.

Nut is still GOOD.

Trestman can game plan and make halftime adjustments.

Gould is the best PK in the game today.

Hester didn't look special to me today but I'd still rather have him than play against him.

The D needs to tackle a LOT better. Briggs in particular.

The run to the outside on 4th and 1 showed guts. That play will often not work but it won us the game today.

I loved seeing us punt the ball inside the 10 yard line as often as we did early on.

Jeffrey has grown as a receiver since last year.

The Packers are tied for last!

I learned:

The Bears might not have won? Go thru and pick most games and there is always something, that if went the other way, could change the outcome. We played lousy the first half, but came back from 11 down to beat a very good team. I just cant find the negative attitude worthy of our first victory.

everyone on Defense besides Tillman and Anderson were plain awful.

Dline is a joke - McClellin has gotta be the weakest NFL player

Yeah, Jennings was awful. :rolleyes:

DL was a joke yesterday or is a joke? Because there are 25 teams who would likely trade their DL for this one. Just because they had a poor game doesn't make them a joke.

To call out McClellin after a game where he had 4 tackles, 1 TFL and a sack makes you look foolish. If he does that every game, he ends the year with 64 tackles, 16 TFL and 16 sacks. Would that not be acceptable?

The Bears might not have won? Go thru and pick most games and there is always something, that if went the other way, could change the outcome. We played lousy the first half, but came back from 11 down to beat a very good team. I just cant find the negative attitude worthy of our first victory.

It's not a negative attitude, it's called perspective. If it weren't for the costly brain-dead penalties the Bengals committed, and the miss managing of timeouts at the end, it could have been a different story. Robbie Gould's FG would not have happened had they not been gift wrapped the field position, thanks to Dre Kirkpatrick for being an idiot. That's huge. I give the Bears credit for finishing the game strong, but I feel like they were pretty damn fortunate as well. Most teams aren't that stupid and undisciplined. If you take my entire post in context, I tried to paint an honest assessment from both viewpoints, the positive and negative. There were reasons to be concerned just as there were reasons for optimism.

It's not a negative attitude, it's called perspective. If it weren't for the costly brain-dead penalties the Bengals committed, and the miss managing of timeouts at the end, it could have been a different story. Robbie Gould's FG would not have happened had they not been gift wrapped the field position, thanks to Dre Kirkpatrick for being an idiot. That's huge. I give the Bears credit for finishing the game strong, but I feel like they were pretty damn fortunate as well. Most teams aren't that stupid and undisciplined. If you take my entire post in context, I tried to paint an honest assessment from both viewpoints, the positive and negative. There were reasons to be concerned just as there were reasons for optimism.

And what if Bennett doesn't have 2 holding calls and Trestman elects to kick a FG earlier in the game when they punted instead?

And what if Bennett doesn't have 2 holding calls and Trestman elects to kick a FG earlier in the game when they punted instead?

The penalties the Bengals committed were completely avoidable if they knew how to play with discipline. They're the kind that you can't live with. The penalties on Bennett happened within the flow of the game that aren't as easily avoidable.

It's like when Nhdamakong Suh takes out a dudes knee to negate his team's pick 6. Just don't be an idiot and you get 6 points. Same thing with the Bengals. Don't shove a guy when he's out of bounds or get in a fight with an offensive lineman when the game is still on the line and you give your team a chance.

Ever wonder why Detroit and Cincy don't have trophies?

I keep going back to being smart.

Winning/championship teams are. Losing/also-ran's are not.

The Pats are smart. That is why they win a lot. If Trestman can instill that, we are in much better shape to utilize oppportunity. The Pats play well and wait for the other team to F up. We virtually did that ourselves last Sunday. I'm sure it's not going to be the case here on out 100%. But it's a great start and lends itself to hope that it will indeed be a trend.

The penalties the Bengals committed were completely avoidable if they knew how to play with discipline. They're the kind that you can't live with. The penalties on Bennett happened within the flow of the game that aren't as easily avoidable.

It's like when Nhdamakong Suh takes out a dudes knee to negate his team's pick 6. Just don't be an idiot and you get 6 points. Same thing with the Bengals. Don't shove a guy when he's out of bounds or get in a fight with an offensive lineman when the game is still on the line and you give your team a chance.

Ever wonder why Detroit and Cincy don't have trophies?

I keep going back to being smart.

Winning/championship teams are. Losing/also-ran's are not.

The Pats are smart. That is why they win a lot. If Trestman can instill that, we are in much better shape to utilize oppportunity. The Pats play well and wait for the other team to F up. We virtually did that ourselves last Sunday. I'm sure it's not going to be the case here on out 100%. But it's a great start and lends itself to hope that it will indeed be a trend.

I think it safe to assume that if a team were "smart" they wouldn't necessarily be guaranteed a championship. Dallas (Jimmy Johnson era), Oakland (pretty much all of Al Davis' era esp late 70's early 80s), Green Bay (really do I have to say anymore?) and even our own team in '85 disprove that.

There is a fine line between agressive and idiodicy. Cinncinnati crossed it and lost control. I get what you're saying and agree that minimizing penalties helps in achieving your goal playing smart football, but there is also a fine line between reserved and being passive.

Ironically enough many here were looking for someone that was much more animated on the sidelines than Lovie, yet Trestman appears to be not cut from that cloth. He does have that Sensai aura about him. With his being an attorney there is no doubt he has the intelligence. I heard a clip from his locker room post game speech and I like what I heard. He talks of "helping each other" and playing like a team.

The Bengals did not 'play like a team' last Sunday. Our team did manage to elevate their game and win. But was it due more to Cinncinnati's losing control than it was Chicago's playing better? Again, too much season left to determine who the best teams are yet.

Disagree completely.

Jimmy's Dallas era was smart. Troy played smart. Emmitt played smart. Sure, there were some Leon Lett moments...but for the most part. Smart. Oakland, just becasue they were rebels didn't mean they were dumb. Madden is smart, despite the bumbling guy he sometimes appears to be. Also, some of those Raiders championships came at the strike seasons... Green Bay, under Holmgrem was smart. Also, their last run under McCarthy, they played smart. Just because they marry siblings, doesn't mean they aren't smart. Our team was smart. McMahon played smart. Singletary played smart. I'm talking a mix of intelligence and football smarts.

Not arguing agressiveness at all... Just alking about being and playing smart football. Cincy and Detroit rarely do. Thus, I don't expect a championship from them until they do.

I think those looking for something more fiery than Smith got it. Trestman is no Jerry Glanville, but asking for more animation than Smith is about as easy at it gets. He surpasses both Smith and Jauron in terms of response to questions.

Good teams figure out ways to win, bad ones, ways to lose. Last weekend both elements happened. We didn't F up, they did. And we capitalized on it. That is a sign of a good team. At least for that weekend. Here's hoping for more!

Fill that kool-aid man...this will be a fun season!

I think it safe to assume that if a team were "smart" they wouldn't necessarily be guaranteed a championship. Dallas (Jimmy Johnson era), Oakland (pretty much all of Al Davis' era esp late 70's early 80s), Green Bay (really do I have to say anymore?) and even our own team in '85 disprove that.

There is a fine line between agressive and idiodicy. Cinncinnati crossed it and lost control. I get what you're saying and agree that minimizing penalties helps in achieving your goal playing smart football, but there is also a fine line between reserved and being passive.

Ironically enough many here were looking for someone that was much more animated on the sidelines than Lovie, yet Trestman appears to be not cut from that cloth. He does have that Sensai aura about him. With his being an attorney there is no doubt he has the intelligence. I heard a clip from his locker room post game speech and I like what I heard. He talks of "helping each other" and playing like a team.

The Bengals did not 'play like a team' last Sunday. Our team did manage to elevate their game and win. But was it due more to Cinncinnati's losing control than it was Chicago's playing better? Again, too much season left to determine who the best teams are yet.