Cutting Peppers

scs787

Didn't wanna take away from the other thread so I'll start a new one.

I'm cap illiterate so I was trying to figure out how much the bears would save if they cut him next year....

I read this on roto

Bears RE Julius Peppers carries an $18.183 million cap charge in 2014.

His salary is scheduled to be a non-guaranteed $13.9 million with a $100,000 workout bonus

So to me that sounds like the bears save nearly 14 mill by cutting him while only being on the hook for a little over 4M right?

I'm cap illiterate so I was trying to figure out how much the bears would save if they cut him next year....

I read this on roto

So to me that sounds like the bears save nearly 14 mill by cutting him while only being on the hook for a little over 4M right?

Let's give him a chance. Sheesh.

That doesn't sound right. I think they'd owe him quite a bit if they cut him.

I think we did the analysis a few weeks ago. A lot of his money paid thus far has been considered bonus (due to his deal being renegotiated). We'd therefore take a hit to the cap for all that deferred compensation when/if we cut him loose. But we wouldn't pay him his 2014 money which is an offset. I can't recall the exact details but if SCS's is interested he can scroll down a few weeks and find the thread.

Best case scenario is Peppers gets back to close to his high standards of play and we re-sign him to a new deal which has a deferral built into it. I saw some speed back in his game last night, particularly when he ran back the TD. I still hold out hope that JP will be with us for a few more years.

I think we did the analysis a few weeks ago. A lot of his money paid thus far has been considered bonus (due to his deal being renegotiated). We'd therefore take a hit to the cap for all that deferred compensation when/if we cut him loose. But we wouldn't pay him his 2014 money which is an offset. I can't recall the exact details but if SCS's is interested he can scroll down a few weeks and find the thread.

Best case scenario is Peppers gets back to close to his high standards of play and we re-sign him to a new deal which has a deferral built into it. I saw some speed back in his game last night, particularly when he ran back the TD. I still hold out hope that JP will be with us for a few more years.

He's been hurt or sick or something, I predict he will straighten out at some point this season. He hasn't played well this year, but I don't think you cut him just yet.

I know he's been sick and could have potentially lost some weight/strength but it was just a thought if that's not the case. I wasn't gonna post anything about it till I saw the rotoworld thing saying his scheduled salary is non gaurenteed 13.9 which to me obviously says they don't have to pay him that amount should they wanna cut him. This surprised me so I wanted to see if anyone could confirm this.

Going back to last year if you take away his games against the awful cardinals and packers OL he only had 4 sacks and 29 tackles in his other 15 games(including the 2 this year) so it's not just this year where he doesn't look dominate.

This is what I am tracking for next year:

$18,183,333 - 2014 Salary

$8,366,668 - Dead Money

$9,816,665 - Savings

So we would save almost $10 million by cutting him.

But you''re still out $8.3 million in cap space by cutting him.

That's one where the Bears might conceivably be able to come to a deal with him dropping his 2014 salary down to like $12 million since they're going to have to take the cap hit anyway.

I read this on roto

We redid his contract again this year, we are on the hook for his full salary if we cut him next year.

We redid his contract again this year, we are on the hook for his full salary if we cut him next year.

On Spotrac they list his cap hit as his full salary for the next two years as 18+ and 20+. They keep moving money out to the end of his contract to relieve the cap the last few years. It is full salary as a cap hit. It aint happening, he will be here until his contact is gone. You might as well have him here if you have to play him and get what you can out of him. It will cost his money and plus the other players money to replace him and that aint happening.

I think it depends on who hits the FA market....If Greg Hardy doesn't get resigned for whatever reason then I'd cut my loses with Pep, save the 10M, and put it towards Hardy.

First off, never use spotrac for contract info. They steal data from other websites and don't analyze or display it properly.

Use this site instead: http://overthecap.com/

Yes we would save $9.8 mil by releasing him, but he would still cost $8.6 mil against the cap.

One key point to keep in mind that releasing him the year after he renegotiated to help the team could cause players to be disinclined to help the team in the future.

Another point is that, unless his play falls off a cliff all year, replacing his production for $8.6 mil would be impossible. That means we would be paying more cap money (including the dead cap space) for less production.

If his play drops a bit, it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask him for a reduction of his salary by a few million.

He's had a lingering illness. Let's see how he finishes the season. So far, not so good. His legs even looked a little heavy on the TD, but nobody caught him either. But, I didn't notice any decline last year and have a hard time believing he has naturally fallen off that much. I just wonder what type of virus's linger that long. Mono?

He's had a lingering illness. Let's see how he finishes the season. So far, not so good. His legs even looked a little heavy on the TD, but nobody caught him either. But, I didn't notice any decline last year and have a hard time believing he has naturally fallen off that much. I just wonder what type of virus's linger that long. Mono?

Like I said, if you throw out his games against the Cards and Packers, #1 and #2 in sacks allowed last year, his stats look dismal. 27 tackles and 5 sacks in 13 games.

I'm not ready to pull the plug just yet but I have my doubts.

Like I said, if you throw out his games against the Cards and Packers, #1 and #2 in sacks allowed last year, his stats look dismal. 27 tackles and 5 sacks in 13 games.

I get what you are saying but...

He's not been a big stat guy since he's been here. That being said, I would argue that he has been our best player during that time. He's been disruptive in the pass game, a monster in the run game, draws constant double teams etc.

Stats are there to keep track of who made the play. They don't track why.

Why in the world would you leave those games out?

It's like saying "If you don't count the games where he played really well, he really sucks."

I watched the Steelers game again with a lot of slo-mo for both defense and offense. Peppers is nearly back to his old self. I think he's still not back to where he was in terms of his energy but he was bringing it in the pass rush and on run D. He does get double teamed a lot because nobody else on our D line is worth worrying about consistently. I think with another week to recover from the flu and now with his hamstring obviously healed up (TD run as proof).

FWIW...There was a strain of the flu out here in AZ in August that made a lot of people miss a full week of work including my daughter who was affected for nearly two weeks.

Why in the world would you leave those games out?

It's like saying "If you don't count the games where he played really well, he really sucks."

I left those games out because of the next line of the post. They were #1 and #2 in sacks allowed, SMC could have done what he did vs those teams.

Once again I'm not ready to pull the plug yet but I have my doubts. I still don't understand the whole 13.9 non guaranteed part that roto brought up, thats what sparked this post, if that doesn't mean what I thought it meant then everything is moot since I agree that the savings aren't enough to cut him...Though I still wouldn't mind it.

I left those games out because of the next line of the post. They were #1 and #2 in sacks allowed, SMC could have done what he did vs those teams.

Once again I'm not ready to pull the plug yet but I have my doubts. I still don't understand the whole 13.9 non guaranteed part that roto brought up, thats what sparked this post, if that doesn't mean what I thought it meant then everything is moot since I agree that the savings aren't enough to cut him...Though I still wouldn't mind it.

Sure the savings are nice but if u do it after renegotiating his deal the yr prior u risk big possibility of pissing off the entire locker room and considering most guys are on last yr of there deals that's a bad idea unless he falls off the cliff

I may be wrong, but what is guaranteed and what the cap hit would be is two different things.

Peppers is guaranteed 13.9 million dollars next year if cut but the cap hit would be the full amount. That's the way I read it.

Im surprised we are having this convo now. 3 games have been played so far. One we know Peppers had the flu. There is still waaaaaaayyyyyy too much season left to play. Lets see what Peppers does through the whole season before we start debating if he should be cut next year.

Let talk about MR 4TH Quarter!!! lolol