Josh Freeman?

Alaskan Grizzly

The Bears seem to be confident in McCown as their backup(I sure hope we're talking about him for backup here) so I doubt they trade squat for him. I wouldn't hate to bring him here but I'd rather have the draft pick.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him traded to the Vikes.

Don't they have Cassel? Who would want him? He is currently the lowest rated QB in the league this year, worse than Ponder, Geno Smith, and Weeden. Now that is bad.

Don't they have Cassel? Who would want him? He is currently the lowest rated QB in the league this year, worse than Ponder, Geno Smith, and Weeden. Now that is bad.

I think you might have to consider what type of regime he's been playing for, especially as of late. The Bucs have gone through a lot of changes in the last few years and that alone could eat into a player's sense of stability. When it comes to instability, the Bucs are nearing the Jets level of a circus.

Freeman hasn't done himself any favors though acting as he has. To lose the "captaincy" tells you one thing, and not showing up for the team photo..another.

Thought I'd ask. Maybe someone would have a perspective on him that noone else thought of.

I'm pretty sure he's under contract for 8 mil per. Besides that, he's been simply awful.

I read somewhere that he is still owed about 6.7 mil for this season so any team that trades for him will have to absorb that into the cap. On top of that he becomes a free agent next year so essentially you would be losing a draft pick, then paying double what most highly paid backups receive, and not only would he not know the offense but he could be gone on the first day of free agency. I wouldn't mind taking a look if he gets cut, but the Bucs gain nothing by cutting him.

No trade, he has no value to our roster and we need cap room for last minute signings to replace guys like Melton. Freeman does not know the offense (duh), not sure he knows any offense at all at this point. Let him get cut and if we have some interest I'd bring him in for a work out and see what the QB Whisperer says.

I was never impressed by Freeman even when he had some decent stats but there are other issues that need research. I want to know why his teammates did not want him to be a captain, or was that the result of his head coach interfering in the vote process? Either way there are problems. It's impossible to know what all is going on in Tampa but the team is a mess and when I see two or three players give up on a tackle and allow a Patriot a free ride into the end zone I know the team, at least parts of it, has quit on the coach.

For reasons others have noted we can talk about this in the offseason when we're deciding what to do about both Cutler and the backup QB spot. Other teams with struggling QB's might offer him more money and a better shot.

Ok, I would agree but 'what if' Cutler is injured? Many here are not confident in McCown's ability as a back up. I am not one of those however.

I agree that it would be better to not waste the money on a guy that will probably eventually be cut and especially for a guy that has had the career he's had. I also agree with the comments that more needs to be learned about this guy, maybe the Bears are doing that? As another put, could the 'QB whisperer' fix what ills him (Freeman)?

Ok, I would agree but 'what if' Cutler is injured? Many here are not confident in McCown's ability as a back up. I am not one of those however.

I agree that it would be better to not waste the money on a guy that will probably eventually be cut and especially for a guy that has had the career he's had. I also agree with the comments that more needs to be learned about this guy, maybe the Bears are doing that? As another put, could the 'QB whisperer' fix what ills him (Freeman)?

If Cutler gets injured and the current backup plan is insufficient, then that is a failure on the part of the current administration. In that case they will have gambled and lost.

You can only have so much depth in a salary capped league. Sometimes that does happen. But, you'll recall, Cutler getting injured and the backups being incapable of winning games/advancing 5 yards helped lead directly to the replacement of both coaches and the GM last time it happened. That's the penalty if they gamble on the guys they have now and lose. The Texans, OTOH, lost 2 QB's 2 seasons ago, threw a rookie out there, and still made a solid enough showing to wind up in the playoffs because they made solid personnel decisions.

The time to bring in another backup QB was March. It's too late now.

No team can win a SB without their starting QB. I doubt we'll ever see that day of another Hostedler situation.

The hope is that your back-up can steer the ship right enough while your starter gets healthy. Agaisnt bad teams, you'd hope your back-up can help not lose. Against good team, most will probably lose...

If Cutler gets injured and the current backup plan is insufficient, then that is a failure on the part of the current administration. In that case they will have gambled and lost.

You can only have so much depth in a salary capped league. Sometimes that does happen. But, you'll recall, Cutler getting injured and the backups being incapable of winning games/advancing 5 yards helped lead directly to the replacement of both coaches and the GM last time it happened. That's the penalty if they gamble on the guys they have now and lose. The Texans, OTOH, lost 2 QB's 2 seasons ago, threw a rookie out there, and still made a solid enough showing to wind up in the playoffs because they made solid personnel decisions.

The time to bring in another backup QB was March. It's too late now.

I'm not even sure the Bears have the 8M to pay him......If the Bears don't like McCown I'd rather see them pick up Vince Young, Mike Kafka, Trent Edwards, Jordan Palmer, David Carr etc etc....They may not be better than Freeman but given his salary and having to give up a draft pick I'd rather go with one of those.

No team can win a SB without their starting QB. I doubt we'll ever see that day of another Hostedler situation.

1987 washington redskins superbowl winner

jay shroeder starting qb for all but 6 games during the regular season

doug williams backup qb - played in 5 games that season and started 2 prior to the playoffs. was starting qb in superbowl XXII. skins won the superbowl that year with williams as the starter. i believe willams was the MVP of superbowl XXII.

My point exactly. That was almost 30 years ago. Today's NFL is not that NFL.

The Dophins in the 70's did it too I think if I remember correctly...

Bottom line, if your starting QB is gone...the odds of winning/getting to a SB in the NFL today is extremely improbable.

1987 washington redskins superbowl winner

jay shroeder starting qb for all but 6 games during the regular season

doug williams backup qb - played in 5 games that season and started 2 prior to the playoffs. was starting qb in superbowl XXII. skins won the superbowl that year with williams as the starter. i believe willams was the MVP of superbowl XXII.

Tom Brady?

Yep.

Although he wasn't brought in from another team where he'd burned bridges and was roundly hated by everyone. He wasn't a punk piece of shit. He was rookie on a pretty damn good team and developed amazingly quickly. I'd like to have that developmental QB on this team and hope we draft one next year. Trestman can work his magic and we'll have Cutler's successor ready at some point.

That ain't what we're talking about here, with Freeman, more than likely. In Freeman you have a guy making big bucks who thinks very highly of himself.

Agreed.

We want hungry. Not satiated.

Yep.

Although he wasn't brought in from another team where he'd burned bridges and was roundly hated by everyone. He was a punk piece of shit. He was rookie on a pretty damn good team and developed amazingly quickly. I'd like to have that developmental QB on this team and hope we draft one next year. Trestman can work his magic and we'll have Cutler's successor ready at some point.

That ain't what we're talking about here, with Freeman, more than likely. In Freeman you have a guy making big bucks who thinks very highly of himself.

Yep.

Although he wasn't brought in from another team where he'd burned bridges and was roundly hated by everyone. He wasn't a punk piece of shit. He was rookie on a pretty damn good team and developed amazingly quickly. I'd like to have that developmental QB on this team and hope we draft one next year. Trestman can work his magic and we'll have Cutler's successor ready at some point.

He was a second year player btw, and I'm not saying Freeman is Tom Brady. I could careless about Freeman. Brady is just the first person that comes to mind when someone mentions a back up qb winning a super bowl.

He was a second year player btw, and I'm not saying Freeman is Tom Brady. I could careless about Freeman. Brady is just the first person that comes to mind when someone mentions a back up qb winning a super bowl.

For me it's Jeff Hostetler and the Giants.

As for Freeman though, we don't have the cap space to rework his deal without spreading it over 3 more seasons. That would be a dumb move for both sides.