If Cutler's season is over, what do you do next year?

Bears4Ever_34

Draft a QB. Find a Kyle Orton type in free agency. Bring back McCown.

I'd use Cutler's money and Peppers money to try to keep the players worth keeping, as many contracts are up.

For me, Cutler hasn't warranted the tag yet, definitely not the contract and not worth losing possibly Tillman and Jennings.

With the news that they already have signed Jordan Palmer, you have to believe the outlook for Cutler's injury is not good. They are saying he was moaning in pain, and couldn't even walk to the locker room when he got into the tunnel. If he's out for the year, what do you do next season at quarterback?

As I said in the game thread; Cutler is done in Chicago. The offense that Trestman is using plays more to McCowns style... That being conservative. Cutler is a big play type of guy with much risk and way too hot and cold. Before the injury today, he was anemic at best.

The team will need to address defense probably before anything else. Some would say "draft a QB and let Trestman groom him" but I still say that remains to be seen. McCown, I think, can be a good caretaker (ala Orton) this year and possibly still make the playoffs. Again as I mentioned previous, you still have Marshall, Bennett and Forte playing for the team. O

I agree.

If he's done for an extended period of time, it might be time to move on to somebody else. Can you really re-sign him to a long term deal after coming back from a serious injury (hypothetically speaking)? I don't think you can. I don't know if a franchise tag would even be worth it at that point. He'll be 32 years old after next season, and is now building up a history of injuries. The thumb, the concussions, the knee, and now the groin.

I think they should draft a young QB early in the draft anyways, regardless of this injury, but If the plan is to move on from Cutler, you really need to draft one in the 1st round.

https://twitter.com/peggykusinski/status/39...5579008/photo/1

BXDW3-hCEAABxDC.jpg

I presume Cutler will be back and start the next game. Cutler has turned the corner and he will be just fine.

I wouldn't be too sure that he will make the next game.

EDIT:

I found this time table on groins on some random site and figured I'd add that to my post

http://www.fantasygas.com/fantasyfootball/...njuryindex.html

Groin Strain: Sometimes referred to as adductor muscle rupture. There are three short adductor muscles that stretch from the pelvis to the thigh bone – pectineus, adductor brevis, adductor longus, and two long adductors that go from the pelvis to the knee – gracilis, adductor magnus. The main function of groin muscles is to pull the legs together. Injury occurs when sprinting, twisting or kicking. Groin strains are graded 1 to 3. A torn adductor muscle is sometimes referred to as Gilmore’s groin or sportsmen’s hernia. RECOVERY TIME – Strained (no surgery: 0-5 weeks out but may limit production for longer); Torn (0-5 weeks out but the condition will continue to worsen; surgery: 6 weeks-season ending).

The pain he was in, I wouldn't be surprised if it is torn and needs surgery.

I have always been a fan of Brock Osweiler (sp?) on Denver because of his size and crazy strong arm. What are the chances we could make a move to get him or a guy like Ryan Mallett from NE? I know Mallett was highly touted out of college about his arm and potential but was a moron. Id love to have Trestman groom someone like those guys. Any guys you like as a grooming project?

I have always been a fan of Brock Osweiler (sp?) on Denver because of his size and crazy strong arm. What are the chances we could make a move to get him or a guy like Ryan Mallett from NE? I know Mallett was highly touted out of college about his arm and potential but was a moron. Id love to have Trestman groom someone like those guys. Any guys you like as a grooming project?

Bridgewater, Boyd, Hundley, Manziel, Mariotta all look like first round picks right now. Bridgewater probably goes #1 or #2. If the Bears could get one of those guys.. I also like the Price kid from Washington as a prospect later in the draft.

Tag Cutler, draft a QB in the mid rounds depending and potentially groom.

With the news that they already have signed Jordan Palmer, you have to believe the outlook for Cutler's injury is not good. They are saying he was moaning in pain, and couldn't even walk to the locker room when he got into the tunnel. If he's out for the year, what do you do next season at quarterback?

Prior to this most recent injury, I was leaning towards that way. I, personally, have never been sold on Cutler as a franchise quarterback, but I've always said you might as well keep him around until you can find a better alternative. If he doesn't play another snap the rest of the year, that changes things dramatically because the Bears will be drafting inside the top 15, which gives you a better opportunity to draft that potential "Franchise" QB.

It all really hinges on how long he's out and how well we do without him...

Prior to this most recent injury, I was leaning towards that way. I, personally, have never been sold on Cutler as a franchise quarterback, but I've always said you might as well keep him around until you can find a better alternative. If he doesn't play another snap the rest of the year, that changes things dramatically because the Bears will be drafting inside the top 15, which gives you a better opportunity to draft that potential "Franchise" QB.

I agree with you, they have to many needs, they will target a draft prospect and , not in the first round, draft one. He was having a good year before the injury(lousy game). He was headed in the right direction, but is still capable of a shit throw once in a while.

The way he "walked off" the field to the tunnel and that picture followed by the signing of Palmer, tells me it's a serious and potentially season ending injury. Which for Jay sucks because if he's done for the year, he'll enter the offseason with only 6 games to show for his potential in this offense where it looked like he very well could have proven his worth. It puts both him and the Bears in a tough spot. Do you tag him? Can you sign him to a fairly cheap 1-2 year "prove it" type contract?

In the mean time we roll with McCown and palmer to back him up. Hats off to McCown for a guy to come off the bench cold without the practice reps to come in on the road and lead the offense to 28 second half points was impressive. If He can continue to lead the offense and keep that group rolling, then really that leaves right where we were. An effective offense, a Defense that can't stop much of anything, and a special teams unit that's hardly been special. Who's to say we can't make the playoffs with McCown? I'll admit when Jay went down my first thought was game over, but I got to give him credit for playing the way he did.

Hats off indeed to mccown for his excellent play there in 2nd half. If cutler is done for the year then you let him go and draft 1 in either 1st or 2nd rd. Mccown is not the guy moving forward past this yr. He's a nice backup but that's it. Trestman is known as the qb whisperer but I'm curious what the hell did he say to josh at half. He's never done anything like that in his career which makes it more amazing. But dude us also 34 do no I'm not signing him as the starter. So far there seems to be a handful of good QBs in college I might be interested in but of course season us still young.

Hats off indeed to mccown for his excellent play there in 2nd half. If cutler is done for the year then you let him go and draft 1 in either 1st or 2nd rd. Mccown is not the guy moving forward past this yr. He's a nice backup but that's it. Trestman is known as the qb whisperer but I'm curious what the hell did he say to josh at half. He's never done anything like that in his career which makes it more amazing. But dude us also 34 do no I'm not signing him as the starter. So far there seems to be a handful of good QBs in college I might be interested in but of course season us still young.

Combination of good play calling, terrible defense, and lack of preparation for a Josh McCown lead offense, as opposed to a Cutler-lead one. I still think McCown can be serviceable enough to win a few games, but I don't see him replicating his 119.6 QB Rating many more times the rest of the year once teams start preparing for him.

Combination of good play calling, terrible defense, and lack of preparation for a Josh McCown lead offense, as opposed to a Cutler-lead one. I still think McCown can be serviceable enough to win a few games, but I don't see him replicating his 119.6 QB Rating many more times the rest of the year once teams start preparing for him.

Exactly, I like mccown but I don't think hr even leads us to playoffs. Much less a guy moving forward with