Everyones favorite data

scs787

PFF ranks us second to worst in pass blocking (6th best at run block, though). The bottom 3 on pass blocking: Long, Bushrod, Mills in that order. Mills being the worst as well as PFF's worst tackle in football. He leads the league in QB hurries surrendered by a fairly large margin; Bushrod is 10th worst and Mills has allowed twice as many. Slauson has been our best lineman, according to their stats, with nobody else having a markedly positive impact.

Jay getting the ball out so quickly is what's making this line look so good....If we move on from Jay it's gotta be someone who gets rid of the ball just as quick as he does.

I don't have the stats at hand, I stole this from a poster on soxtalk who has a subscription.

Just going by the eye test, the line has been slowly getting worse as the season goes on. 2nd worst? Nah. I haven't paid that much attention to Jordan Mills individually, but it's hard for me to believe he's the worst RT in all of football. I don't see it. Bushrod on the other hand, has been exactly what I've expected coming into the season. He's a stop gap LT. Within the next two years, Kyle Long will move over to that spot and will play well.

PFF ranks us second to worst in pass blocking (6th best at run block, though). The bottom 3 on pass blocking: Long, Bushrod, Mills in that order. Mills being the worst as well as PFF's worst tackle in football. He leads the league in QB hurries surrendered by a fairly large margin; Bushrod is 10th worst and Mills has allowed twice as many. Slauson has been our best lineman, according to their stats, with nobody else having a markedly positive impact.

Jay getting the ball out so quickly is what's making this line look so good....If we move on from Jay it's gotta be someone who gets rid of the ball just as quick as he does.

I don't have the stats at hand, I stole this from a poster on soxtalk who has a subscription.

Maybe Webb is still out there, I think he could save us !!!

Just going by the eye test, the line has been slowly getting worse as the season goes on. 2nd worst? Nah. I haven't paid that much attention to Jordan Mills individually, but it's hard for me to believe he's the worst RT in all of football. I don't see it. Bushrod on the other hand, has been exactly what I've expected coming into the season. He's a stop gap LT. Within the next two years, Kyle Long will move over to that spot and will play well.

I agree that Long will be the eventual LT, the line is way better than last year if you use the eye test. It has room to grow, and PFF is just a tool to help with evaluation, not a bible.

Agreed.

I'm not totally surprised by this as the Steelers, then the Saints, and finally the Redskins showed a variety of looks in those games that we had never seen before and assignments were rmissed. I think the eye test we all see is that when they get their assignments correct, which is the vast majority of the time then they can hold their blocks. Long and Mills have played just 7 games, 3 of them against 3-4 defenses. They will get better as will Kromer and Trestman regarding game planning and play calling.

I'm not totally surprised by this as the Steelers, then the Saints, and finally the Redskins showed a variety of looks in those games that we had never seen before and assignments were rmissed. I think the eye test we all see is that when they get their assignments correct, which is the vast majority of the time then they can hold their blocks. Long and Mills have played just 7 games, 3 of them against 3-4 defenses. They will get better as will Kromer and Trestman regarding game planning and play calling.

Your spot on, if this groups develops into a mid level OLine, I think thats a good thing. Since PFF is so important, lets say a 15th to 23 ranked OLine will due. Long and Mills will only get better, Garza wont be the center next year, starting to fade. The arrow is pointed up.

Thanks for sharing.

I see the pressures PFT is referring to, but we all knew that was to be expected. We've had 80% turnover on the OL, plus the TE and new offense. Continuity was discussed to death in the off season.(right Jason) What I am not seeing is the bonehead / OMG plays that I've been used to the last few years. This OL is pointing up. Give me a center prospect next year and I'm happy.

Thanks for sharing.

I see the pressures PFT is referring to, but we all knew that was to be expected. We've had 80% turnover on the OL, plus the TE and new offense. Continuity was discussed to death in the off season.(right Jason) What I am not seeing is the bonehead / OMG plays that I've been used to the last few years. This OL is pointing up. Give me a center prospect next year and I'm happy.

Continuity shmontinuity. Give me five dudes who can play who have never met one another over five guys who have sucked collectively for a decade.

And you're right about the boneheaded plays. Just not happening. And the level of pressure being indicated by the "stats" just doesn't pass muster as far as I'm concerned. I haven't watched all the games for every team, but Cutler was running like a Kenyan marathoner last year. This year? Not nearly as much. I'd say about 1/3rd as much. That leads me to believe, to speculate, that there have to be other teams doing worse. The Bears' OL just doesn't look as bad pass blocking as the "stats" indicate.

Since I dont have a subscription this year I'll let the guy on soxtalk who does elaborate.

In response to someone saying "Saying the line isn't improved is laughable"

Nobody said that, it's actually much better. J'Marcus Webb rated as our best, and his aggregate rating over 16 games would put him as our 5th best this year.

PFF does say, though, that our line is still bad at pass blocking.

Jay was "under pressure" in 38.7% of his dropbacks this year. Peyton Manning (whose line is on the opposite end of the spectrum) was under pressure on 21% of dropbacks. This is actually a portion of a percent higher than the past two years, but much lower than 2010 when it was off the charts (43%). He was at 22% in Denver as well, btw, and 28% in his first year in Chi-town.

Another way to look at it is pass blocking efficiency for our line. On 45.7% of dropbacks, Jay was hurried, hit, or sacked. 22% for Manning. What might really blow your mind is that almost half these hurries/hits/sacks came from Jordan Mills. Replace Mills with an average player (roughly the level of play from Webb last year, fwiw) and our pass blocking rating goes to middle of the pack for the league. This statistic is even worse than Arizona, whose PFF rating is actually much worse than ours. PFF gives relative weights to hurries, hits, and sacks. Jay has been hit and sacked relatively little given the amount of pressures and hurries he's had, which is likely due to scheme and decision-making.

Our line seems better because 1. The majority of the bad is concentrated on one player and 2. we have an o-coordinator that can scheme to cover up our weaknesses.

And to piggy back on what he's saying, I agree with you guys in that Mills will only improve, and if he does the line as a collective whole will look much better in their overall rating.

Am I right to say that our oline played pretty good the first few games? My take is that teams caught up to our offense and have learned to to exploit the weaknesses. Lets hope with the bye week, Trestsman and co can learn from that and adjust. The line is better than last year, but the key is keeping defenses guessing.

Am I right to say that our oline played pretty good the first few games? My take is that teams caught up to our offense and have learned to to exploit the weaknesses. Lets hope with the bye week, Trestsman and co can learn from that and adjust. The line is better than last year, but the key is keeping defenses guessing.

Still not where I would like but offense is avg 30+ so I can't complain to much lol

I believe this is true, like I said I don't have the stats at hand but again from the same poster he said week 1 Mills was actually one of the best pass blockers in the league. So when you consider he's been our biggest problem the rest of the way I imagine at the very least week 1 they played pretty good as a unit.

I believe this is true, like I said I don't have the stats at hand but again from the same poster he said week 1 Mills was actually one of the best pass blockers in the league. So when you consider he's been our biggest problem the rest of the way I imagine at the very least week 1 they played pretty good as a unit.

If that's the case, maybe there's certain moves he has trouble with. Hopefully we can see that and help him.I think pittsburgh exposed us, even though we won. The do have great defensive minds.

PFF is a good ruler to measure with but I think you put to much validity to it. The eye test, the line is improved over last year, has a lot of improvement to go. We have been successful on offense most of the time and it is due to better play out of OLine. We have a long way to go, but I see us getting better, not the inconsistency from the previous years.I kinda rate the comparison to evaluating a woman when you meet her. You look at her and dont get turned on but as you get to know her you find out that she has more to her than the face. I think Bushrod is slightly above average, Slausson is a good player, Garza is fading, Long and Mills futures look bright. We will look at the OLine much different at the end of the season. Maybe a 20th ranked team by the great PFF?

I think we should resign Slausson to a long term deal and move him to center. I think Brown could move into his spot and keep Britton around for depth. Sign another vet on the cheap for depth, and that will be our OLine for the coming years.

I dont think we have the draft picks to waste one on drafting another OL.

PFF is a good ruler to measure with but I think you put to much validity to it. The eye test, the line is improved over last year, has a lot of improvement to go. We have been successful on offense most of the time and it is due to better play out of OLine. We have a long way to go, but I see us getting better, not the inconsistency from the previous years.I kinda rate the comparison to evaluating a woman when you meet her. You look at her and dont get turned on but as you get to know her you find out that she has more to her than the face. I think Bushrod is slightly above average, Slausson is a good player, Garza is fading, Long and Mills futures look bright. We will look at the OLine much different at the end of the season. Maybe a 20th ranked team by the great PFF?

I think we should resign Slausson to a long term deal and move him to center. I think Brown could move into his spot and keep Britton around for depth. Sign another vet on the cheap for depth, and that will be our OLine for the coming years.

I dont think we have the draft picks to waste one on drafting another OL.

Go back to the 2nd post I posted in this thread, I know the words aren't mine but I agree with what the guy said. I'm not saying the line hasn't improved, it certainly has, even through PFF ratings. Using the PFF ratings Webb was our best lineman last year, but the rating he put up last year would have been 5th on our team this year so it's clear the line is better this year.

Resigning Slausson is a "must" imo, and I like the idea of moving him to center, even though Garza hasn't been bad.

Go back to the 2nd post I posted in this thread, I know the words aren't mine but I agree with what the guy said. I'm not saying the line hasn't improved, it certainly has, even through PFF ratings. Using the PFF ratings Webb was our best lineman last year, but the rating he put up last year would have been 5th on our team this year so it's clear the line is better this year.

Resigning Slausson is a "must" imo, and I like the idea of moving him to center, even though Garza hasn't been bad.

I'm all for resigning Slausson, but I don't think we stop drafting olinemen. Thats where we got in trouble to begin with. I see a center or guard selection in the top 4 rounds. This team has a lot of needs, but what team doesn't. I think you draft up front on both lines. Thats where every play starts. Those players up front will help make the guys behind look better.

I'm all for resigning Slausson, but I don't think we stop drafting olinemen. Thats where we got in trouble to begin with. I see a center or guard selection in the top 4 rounds. This team has a lot of needs, but what team doesn't. I think you draft up front on both lines. Thats where every play starts. Those players up front will help make the guys behind look better.

That's old school the way I like it.

That's old school the way I like it.

I like the idea of adding OL every year but next year with so many contracts up and dire need of defense, I dont see how we can do that.With 7 picks we need a couple of DL, safeties, DBs and will draft a QB. Maybe a late round pick, but dont see that happening.

You, Jerry and Lovie. Geez... :shakehead

I suspect your post is partially in jest, but that's how it starts. I'm sure they thought that many times over: "Yeah, but we need this mooooorrrre." We can get OL next year. Or, "Well, I'll be. It IS the 7th round already and we haven't drafted OL. Again. Anyone out there who has the potential to not get cut on the first day?" Do it two or three years in a row, and you have a QB throwing off his back foot and ducking like he hears a drive-by shooting.