Bears sign Willie Young

scs787

Retweeted by Michael C. Wright

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 2m

Willie Young agreed to a 3-year, $9M deal with #Bears that included a $2M signing bonus and $3.95M total guaranteed.

I know a few guys here liked him, I wasn't that big a fan, but he's no doubt a starter in this league. It's cheap enough that we could add yet another DE (I want Babin).

He's an upgrade over Wootton/SMC so that's a plus.

PFF had this to say about him

Willie Young, Edge Defender - Took his chance in 2013 to emerge as a starting caliber defensive end, really developing his game into someone you can trust to play more than just a situational role.

9. Willie Young

2013 Grade: +7.0

2013 Snaps: 801

Former first-round draft picks Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley get most of the attention for Detroit’s defensive line, but starting right defensive end Willie Young has also been a factor. A seventh-round pick from 2010, Young earned the third-highest overall grade on that fearsome Lions DL, with only six penalties dragging that grade down. While he only recorded four sacks, he did register another 56 pressures and four batted passes.

Unfortunately, like the rest of his team, Young’s production (in terms of pass rushing) dropped as the season wore on. He earned a +6.2 pass-rushing grade in the first nine games, but could only manage a -1.3 in the final seven games. Like Lamarr Houston, teams will be asking about the late-season decrease in production.

Ironic that both he and Houston dropped off a bit late in the season....They're both more than capable ends though

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scs, thanks for keeping us all posted with up-to-date news!

Here's the stat lines on him...

http://www.nfl.com/player/willieyoung/2508063/profile

Willie Young agreed to a 3-year, $9M deal with #Bears that included a $2M signing bonus and $3.95M total guaranteed.

I know a few guys here liked him, I wasn't that big a fan, but he's no doubt a starter in this league. It's cheap enough that we could add yet another DE (I want Babin).

Willie Young, Edge Defender - Took his chance in 2013 to emerge as a starting caliber defensive end, really developing his game into someone you can trust to play more than just a situational role.

I pay pretty close attention to College and the NFL, watch a lot of games. Its sad I have never heard of this guy and he played against us twice every year.

So I would think signing a Jared Allen type De is off the table now. I would have rather used that 3 mil towards Allen or even resigning Peppers if he doesn't get a hug offer.

Walterfootball loves the move.

Bears sign DE Willie Young (3 years, $9M; $3.95M guaranteed): A- Grade

The Bears may have lost Julius Peppers, but they strengthened the defensive end position this offseason by acquiring Lamarr Houston and Willie Young.

Young had just three sacks in 2013, but that's not nearly indicative of how frequently he rushed the quarterback. Young is capable of applying a heavy pass rush, and he also happens to be solid in run support. This is a very good signing for the Bears, and the cherry on top is that they poached a solid player from a divisional rival they could not beat this past season.

I pay pretty close attention to College and the NFL, watch a lot of games. Its sad I have never heard of this guy and he played against us twice every year. So I would think signing a Jared Allen type De is off the table now. I would have rather used that 3 mil towards Allen or even resigning Peppers if he doesn't get a hug offer.

Who said Peppers or Allen would play for that amount, I think that's why they haven't signed anywhere yet. Plus Allens attitude is if he doesn't get payed what he wants, he will retire. No reason to want a player that will hold that attitude against a team.

Young is younger, 28. Let's be happy that we are adding youth. We will be playing a "new scheme" defensively with a 4-3 base that will employ different alignments. There's going to be a learning curve for the team as a whole.

Who said Peppers or Allen would play for that amount, I think that's why they haven't signed anywhere yet. Plus Allens attitude is if he doesn't get payed what he wants, he will retire. No reason to want a player that will hold that attitude against a team.

Young is younger, 28. Let's be happy that we are adding youth. We will be playing a "new scheme" defensively with a 4-3 base that will employ different alignments. There's going to be a learning curve for the team as a whole.

I didn't say they would play for that amount. Im saying use that 3mil in whatever per year they would have to pay them. Lets say Allen would play for 5 or 6 per year. Then they are only paying another 2 or 3 mil per year to sign him.

At 3 years 9 mill for Young I wouldn't be surprised to see yet another DE brought in to rotate. Think Young is no doubt the starter though. All reports say he's a capable pass rusher desite the low number of sacks. 56 QBPs is 41 more than Peppers.

He's real solid against the run as well so one things for sure the Bears run defense should look A LOT better.

Also as far as an overall grade Willie Young had a +7.0, Peppers? -4.4. (Houston +11.4)

At 3 years 9 mill for Young I wouldn't be surprised to see yet another DE brought in to rotate. Think Young is no doubt the starter though. All reports say he's a capable pass rusher desite the low number of sacks. 56 QBPs is 41 more than Peppers.

He's real solid against the run as well so one things for sure the Bears run defense should look A LOT better.

Also as far as an overall grade Willie Young had a +7.0, Peppers? -4.4. (Houston +11.4)

They may add another DE but it wont be Allen. Allen is 31(I think) and put up 12 sacks last year. I could see him having another 2 or 3 productive years. It's been said he is a workout warrior, which leads me to think he can still put up 10+ sack seasons for a couple more years.

Neither Houston or Young have put up 10...... Combine both and is that even 12???? I do like that they are younger tho.

I just really like the idea of Allen giving us at least two years of good production while they turn this D around. He is familiar with the NFC North and has produced in it. I don't see Allen getting 10 mil a year. If the Bears could have signed him for the 6- 7 per year range I would have loved it.

FWIW PFF wasn't fond of Allen. Had a -4.0 rating, just a touch better than Peppers.

Neither Houston or Young are sexy picks for those who judge on sack numbers alone, but they are both really good signings IMO.

Still really think Jason Babin would be a good signing. Also gimme Melton.....On obvious passing downs kick Houston inside and go with Babin-Houston-Melton-Young.

Also, Austen Lane said Mel liked to rush LBs now and then so we can gets some more sacks out of them. Then there's the pass rush guru Joe Kim who could get more out of all these guys.

I like the direction we're going.

Another tidbit on Willie Young:

Coming out of the draft...at age 25, he is a high ceiling prospect taken in the 7th round. He has the height and athleticism to be versatile in systems, DE in a 4-3 or a OLB in a 3-4. He is intelligent, but may take a year or two to develop.

From rotoworld....(obviously before he signed with the Bears)

Free agent DE Willie Young is visiting the Jaguars.

The Lions were high on Young the past few seasons, but he registered just six sacks across his last 46 games. He started 15 games mostly at left end last season and generated an impressive 48 hurries, which was third-most among 4-3 ends. Disruption is production. Young could flourish under coach Gus Bradley.

"Disruption is production" I like that line.

If spotrac is correct Willie Youngs cap hit will only be 1.6m this season. (I trust overthecap more and they don't have his numbers up yet)

So the Bears freed up 9.8m from cutting Pep and turned that into 2 starting DEs, a starting LB, and a potential starting DT. (Young, Houston, Williams, and Ratliff add up to 9.4m)

Ha!!!! Frank Omiyale

No doubt. It's disgusting how slowly Omiyale moved yet managed to stay on the roster. That's horribly slow. I'm not joking when I say this, but I've seen people with severe injuries move faster than that guy.

The Young signing is a solid B- from me. For this FA class, it's probably an B+.

FWIW PFF wasn't fond of Allen. Had a -4.0 rating, just a touch better than Peppers.

Neither Houston or Young are sexy picks for those who judge on sack numbers alone, but they are both really good signings IMO.

Still really think Jason Babin would be a good signing. Also gimme Melton.....On obvious passing downs kick Houston inside and go with Babin-Houston-Melton-Young.

Also, Austen Lane said Mel liked to rush LBs now and then so we can gets some more sacks out of them. Then there's the pass rush guru Joe Kim who could get more out of all these guys.

I like the direction we're going.

I thought you didnt like Young? I really doubt if Babin shows up here, the next addition will be in the draft.

From rotoworld....(obviously before he signed with the Bears)

Free agent DE Willie Young is visiting the Jaguars.

The Lions were high on Young the past few seasons, but he registered just six sacks across his last 46 games. He started 15 games mostly at left end last season and generated an impressive 48 hurries, which was third-most among 4-3 ends. Disruption is production. Young could flourish under coach Gus Bradley.

"Disruption is production" I like that line.

Um . . . didn't Emery say that Shea was great at hurries? Except he couldn't get to the damn quarterback. Typically the QB would side step away from Shea and then complete a 30 yard pass over the top of a falling down Chris Conte.

I'm not complaining about the signing. We needed somebody. But disruptions are only effective if they get results. We didn't get many last season.

I thought you didnt like Young? I really doubt if Babin shows up here, the next addition will be in the draft.

I said he didn't excite me that much...I also said I was fine with Wootton as the other DE, so my standards were a little low there. As a 2nd DE I like it Young>>>>Wootton.

Um . . . didn't Emery say that Shea was great at hurries? Except he couldn't get to the damn quarterback. Typically the QB would side step away from Shea and then complete a 30 yard pass over the top of a falling down Chris Conte.

I'm not complaining about the signing. We needed somebody. But disruptions are only effective if they get results. We didn't get many last season.

Shea led the team....with 20....Young more than doubled that. If he thought Shea was great then Young must be a monster in his eyes.

I said he didn't excite me that much...I also said I was fine with Wootton as the other DE, so my standards were a little low there. As a 2nd DE I like it Young>>>>Wootton.

Shea led the team....with 20....Young more than doubled that. If he thought Shea was great then Young must be a monster in his eyes.

Babin resigned with Jags