Bears sign Willie Young

scs787

The Young signing is a solid B- from me. For this FA class, it's probably an B+.

I'd go with an F-.

-Safeties were exposed last year due to no pass rush. They lose their only competent pass rusher in Peppers. Instead, they sign 2 guys to start that can't get 10 sacks combined and likely not as good as Wooten who is also gone.

-To improve the safeties, they signed the one safety that may be worse than the ones they had.

-They let one of the best punt returners in the league go, and bring in an unknown.

- Rosario was signed, cut, and replaced by himself. I guess that is a wash.

I just can't see an area where the team has improved. I think they have side stepped or taken major steps back, especially if you factor in the additional potential losses of Melton and Tillman.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go with an F-.

-Safeties were exposed last year due to no pass rush. They lose their only competent pass rusher in Peppers. Instead, they sign 2 guys to start that can't get 10 sacks combined and likely not as good as Wooten who is also gone.

-To improve the safeties, they signed the one safety that may be worse than the ones they had.

-They let one of the best punt returners in the league go, and bring in an unknown.

I just can't see an area where the team has improved. I think they have side stepped or taken major steps back, especially if you factor in the additional potential losses of Melton and Tillman.

I just meant the Young move in a vacuum. Not a bad signing and should definitely help against the run.

I just meant the Young move in a vacuum. Not a bad signing and should definitely help against the run.

I didn't mean anything directed at you. I saw your grading, and saw the opportunity to vent on the team a little.

I miss read what you were saying. You were talking Young's value against this years FA's. I thought you were giving the Bears free agency signings as a whole a B+ when I read for this class.

I'd go with an F-.

I will say your F- is a bit harsh as it's still early. I really feel like we have one more big move left. But I do agree that so far free agency has been "meh" at best. So far we have replaced:

Peppers with Houston--Houston is younger but certainly an overall downgrade from a guy who was once the most dynamic defensive player in football.

Wooton with Willie Young--I get the feeling Wooton won't be back. I have no reason to believe Willie Young is better.

MD Jennings for Major Wright--We've replaced really real bad for just bad

Ryan Mundy for Craig Steltz--I put these two together because Mundy is more of a SS like Steltz. He's an upgrade! But like Steltz, he can't defend the pass

Domenik Hixon for Hester--Bad comparison. Hixon's more of a tall back-up WR. Not really a return man IMO.

Jordan Senn for Blake Costanzo--Bah. Special teams. Bah!

Henry Melton for Jay Ratliff--this is an early comparison, but if we didn't have Ratliff signed, we'd be pressing harder for Melton.

None of these moves help you feel better about our awful defense. Especially if we lose Peppers, Melton, and Peanut and with Briggs looking like he needs to spend the off-season with Richard Simmons.

I feel like one more significant move has to be in the works.

I'd go with an F-.

I will say your F- is a bit harsh as it's still early. I really feel like we have one more big move left. But I do agree that so far free agency has been "meh" at best. So far we have replaced:

Peppers with Houston--Houston is younger but certainly an overall downgrade from a guy who was once the most dynamic defensive player in football.

Wooton with Willie Young--I get the feeling Wooton won't be back. I have no reason to believe Willie Young is better.

Ryan Mundy for Craig Steltz--I put these two together because Mundy is more of a SS like Steltz. He's an upgrade! But like Steltz, he can't defend the pass

Domenik Hixon for Hester--Bad comparison. Hixon's more of a tall back-up WR. Not really a return man IMO.

Henry Melton for Jay Ratliff--this is an early comparison, but if we didn't have Ratliff signed, we'd be pressing harder for Melton.

None of these moves help you feel better about our awful defense. Especially if we lose Peppers, Melton, and Peanut and with Briggs looking like he needs to spend the off-season with Richard Simmons.

Agree that the F- is harsh, but disagree with the rest of the post....but I'm also quite the optimist.

The sack colored glassed are blurring your guys vision.

Houston>>>>Last years Peppers

Young>>Wootton or SMC

Mundy>Wright

Hixon overall> Hester

At DT if we end up signing Melton I think it'll really be Melton>Ratliff and Ratliff>Paea (meaning Melton will be the 3 and Ratliff the NT)

No way, baring significant injuries, we're gonna catch up with the Broncos, Seahawks, and 9ers, those guys just have some ridiculous squads....But with some hits in the draft this year and next coupled with the big money we have to spend next year I really like the direction they're heading. We all thought it was gonna take time to turn the D around anyway.

I think we'll be around middle of the pack this coming up year then year 3 of the Trestman era we'll be legit.

This offseason is at least a C in my book. That grade goes up if they add Melton, goes up even further if they can hit on 3-4 players in the draft that contribute.

I'd go with an F-.

I can see why you might be pessimistic about all we did. We are not the Broncos with a time limit for Peyton. They are going for it, we are not in that position yet. When we signed T. Jennings it didnt excite me, but he ended up being an all pro type. When we grabbed Slausson last year, didnt turn me on, turned out to be excellent move. What Im saying is until we see the finish product we cant really know how this will all shake out. First of all we have never been in this position before with so many players leaving at one time. With the big contract we gave Jay, it causes us to be cautious with all of all moves. It could all be bad or surprise us, I am going to wait until we play the first game before I jump on the (this sucks wagon).

Agree that the F- is harsh, but disagree with the rest of the post....but I'm also quite the optimist.

The sack colored glassed are blurring your guys vision.

Houston>>>>Last years Peppers

Young>>Wootton or SMC

Mundy>Wright

Hixon overall> Hester

At DT if we end up signing Melton I think it'll really be Melton>Ratliff and Ratliff>Paea (meaning Melton will be the 3 and Ratliff the NT)

No way, baring significant injuries, we're gonna catch up with the Broncos, Seahawks, and 9ers, those guys just have some ridiculous squads....But with some hits in the draft this year and next coupled with the big money we have to spend next year I really like the direction they're heading. We all thought it was gonna take time to turn the D around anyway.

I think we'll be around middle of the pack this coming up year then year 3 of the Trestman era we'll be legit.

This offseason is at least a C in my book. That grade goes up if they add Melton, goes up even further if they can hit on 3-4 players in the draft that contribute.

Yes absolutely. We are better incrementally at each of these positions than we were last year. So you're right.

I also understand the people who say that these guys aren't All Pros, and so they arent the eventual answer. Yes and no.

You said it too, these guys won't be Seattle. But some of them may surprise us, and draft picks are still coming. If we can be a top 20 defense, we should be able to win some playoff games.

But we are certainly building a team that we be even better next year, and we should be in really good cap shape then too. I'm excited at the way we're going.

And you know what? I said it would take more than one year to revamp the OL, so maybe these guys will outperform even our optimistic but realistic point of view.

Good post, scs!

I can see why you might be pessimistic about all we did. We are not the Broncos with a time limit for Peyton. They are going for it, we are not in that position yet. When we signed T. Jennings it didnt excite me, but he ended up being an all pro type. When we grabbed Slausson last year, didnt turn me on, turned out to be excellent move. What Im saying is until we see the finish product we cant really know how this will all shake out. First of all we have never been in this position before with so many players leaving at one time. With the big contract we gave Jay, it causes us to be cautious with all of all moves. It could all be bad or surprise us, I am going to wait until we play the first game before I jump on the (this sucks wagon).

Building for the future is part of the reason I hate the signings. Why overpay for average when you aren't trying to rush a championship?

I'd been happy if only Houston or Young were signed for Young's contract. It's a reasonable deal for a starting average DE. However, I think Houston's contract is ridiculous and the combination of the 2 starting is just insuring a weakness from last year.

I really don't think it's being pessimistic to call a spade a spade. Getting to the QB was one of the major problems on D last year. These guys can't do that, and their contracts pigeon hole them as starters and limits how the team can build. I'm can see the Bears digging themselves in a hole, but I can't see the foundation being laid yet.

Building for the future is part of the reason I hate the signings. Why overpay for average when you aren't trying to rush a championship?

I'd been happy if only Houston or Young were signed for Young's contract. It's a reasonable deal for a starting average DE. However, I think Houston's contract is ridiculous and the combination of the 2 starting is just insuring a weakness from last year.

I really don't think it's being pessimistic to call a spade a spade. Getting to the QB was one of the major problems on D last year. These guys can't do that, and their contracts pigeon hole them as starters and limits how the team can build. I'm can see the Bears digging themselves in a hole, but I can't see the foundation being laid yet.

Yeah but our Rushing Defense was the root of the problem. We were in the middle of the pack for Passing Yards against, but had one of the worst Rushing against totals and per carry average against ever. If you look at Houston and Young, they are actually really good against the run and decent against the pass. Per sack numbers don't tell the whole story with these guys. They had a lot of pressures and tackles for loss. These guys will rarely lose contain or get overpowered. They are clearly an upgrade over what we had last year. The new guys are 26 and 28, so we got younger, and cheaper. If we can take that extra money and upgrade elsewhere, it is hard to see this as anything less than a "C'.

My biggest complaint is the lack of a true starting Safety.

I didn't see DE as the problem in the running game. The off the street tackles, inexperienced line backers, and poor safeties seemed to be the problem to me. Teams were just running straight up the middle and not getting stopped.

The DE's were part of the problem. Teams ran outside or at our DE's a lot.

Hixon overall> Hester

Agree with the rest of the post, but this is incorrect. Hester is unquestionably a better returner, and based on previous production probably a better receiver as well. Hester leads Hixon in virtually everything.

Agree with the rest of the post, but this is incorrect. Hester is unquestionably a better returner, and based on previous production probably a better receiver as well. Hester leads Hixon in virtually everything.

When Hixon was given a chance to start he's played well. That's probably all he'll be looked at to do here. Especially in Trestmans system, Hixon would be the better receiver.

The DE's were part of the problem. Teams ran outside or at our DE's a lot.

When Shea was in, of course they did. He is now a linebacker because he sucked at all things DE. Brandon Jacobs wasn't rushing around the ends, that's for sure. The middle was the main problem in the running game. They were like 10th against the run before Briggs got hurt. Injuries kept adding up at DT and the LBer's/safeties were not doing their job.

B)

You can say sack colored glasses all you want, but the Bears were tied for last with Jacksonville in sacks. They need to improve on that this offseason. These moves did not help.

Houston racked up 41 hurries and 16 QB hits vs Peppers who had 27 and 6. Are you telling me Peppers was the more productive pass rusher because he finished the job 1 more time than Houston?

Here’s what really gets me about the sack stat. You’re judging a player by what he does on a small percentage of his plays, and using that small percentage to assume a whole lot about the rest of his game

Yes Peppers had 1 more sack than Houston....But sans those 7 plays where he took down to the QB, what'd he do? Would you rather have the guy with 7 sacks who put less pressure on the QB or the guy with 6 sacks who put more pressure on the QB? Personally, I'll take that guy who's causing more problems.

You can put Willie Young in this category, Young had 48.

Example. Peyton Manning was only sacked once in the Super Bowl, but my god did the pressure they put on Manning make a HUGE difference.

Hell, Peppers himself once said sacks are overrated.

"Sacks are overrated," said Peppers, echoing Blache's belief. "People are going to look at that stat line and say that's what they're going to measure people by. Especially a defensive end. But a hurry, or if you get a quarterback to throw an interception, those types of things are worth more than a sack."

Houston racked up 41 hurries and 16 QB hits vs Peppers who had 27 and 6. Are you telling me Peppers was the more productive pass rusher because he finished the job 1 more time than Houston?

Here’s what really gets me about the sack stat. You’re judging a player by what he does on a small percentage of his plays, and using that small percentage to assume a whole lot about the rest of his game

Yes Peppers had 1 more sack than Houston....But sans those 7 plays where he took down to the QB, what'd he do? Would you rather have the guy with 7 sacks who didn't put less pressure on the QB or the guy with 6 sacks who put more pressure on the QB? Personally, I'll take that guy who's causing more problems.

You can put Willie Young in this category, Young had 48.

Example. Peyton Manning was only sacked once in the Super Bowl, but my god did the pressure they put on Manning make a HUGE difference.

Great post scs, but they both had less sacks than Peppers, so these duds are clearly downgrades. Also, just because Houston and Young had more tackles than Peppers doesn't mean anything other than the opposing team ran near them more often, clearly exploiting them both.

When Hixon was given a chance to start he's played well. That's probably all he'll be looked at to do here. Especially in Trestmans system, Hixon would be the better receiver.

I don't know what you base that on. Hester's stats as a WR are easily better.

I don't know what you base that on. Hester's stats as a WR are easily better.

Yds per Reception? Hixon 13.4 vs Hester 12.9, more Receiving TDs in 2013 and 2012, 300+ receiving yards in 2012, 50% more receptions in 2012.

Just using Hester's last year as a WR vs Hixon's last full season, which is 2012, Hixon clearly dominated Hester in every category. Hixon also has never fumbled.

As a returner, it is not even close, but you could make a mild case that Hixon is a better WR if you only look at certain stats from certain years that support your argument.

Great post scs, but they both had less sacks than Peppers, so these duds are clearly downgrades. Also, just because Houston and Young had more tackles than Peppers doesn't mean anything other than the opposing team ran near them more often, clearly exploiting them both.

Ha, I hope everyone sees the sarcasm here.

:cheers

Thought I'd share this so others can share in the enjoyment....

Tyron Smith was the 9th overall pick a few years ago and a pro bowler last year....Young made him look like....dare I say it....J'Marcus Webb.

This dude is gonna surprise a lot of folks here.