Cole Kmet

AZ54

I could see this guy being a perennial all pro TE.  Just love this pick and the fit is also just fantastic.  Finally we got a TE. Let's not hire Marta in a year and ship him off cause he doesn't fit the system haha.  

I don't know if people realized the fact he wasn't dedicated to football. I think with him now doing this full time, we'll see him get even better.  Just such a nice athlete and a guy who can just be an absolute complete tight end. Despite his size, he looks and runs so fluid. Just a really nice athlete. LOVE IT.  

31 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I could see this guy being a perennial all pro TE.  Just love this pick and the fit is also just fantastic.  Finally we got a TE. Let's not hire Marta in a year and ship him off cause he doesn't fit the system haha.  

I don't know if people realized the fact he wasn't dedicated to football. I think with him now doing this full time, we'll see him get even better.  Just such a nice athlete and a guy who can just be an absolute complete tight end. Despite his size, he looks and runs so fluid. Just a really nice athlete. LOVE IT.  

His versatility in all phases will be a very welcome addition.  Plus I like the fact he's already good at selling the block fake before going out on his route.  Just a sign that he's already thinking about the details of playing TE instead of just being an athlete on the field.  I think it was someone here that said he's not a player who stands out in any one aspect but he's good in all of them.  He came out early too so there's plenty of room for growth if he works at it, and he has Graham to learn from.  At a minimum Graham and his work ethic will be a good mentor and role model for Kmet.  He's not real twitchy but he's smooth enough on the move to get open.  I didn't realize he ran a 4.7 forty at the combine.  That doesn't really show up on film too often but as you said it could be a sign that as he dedicates himself more to football he'll get better.  

I thought we'd go more towards a U TE later in the draft but it looks like Horsted stays as the backup U behind Graham.    

Great pick, as much as I didn't want a TE in the 2nd, based on recent SB teams, an elite TE is critical. With Graham, Kmet, Harris, and Holtz, we have a formidable TE group can run a ton of 12 personnel. Monty should be excited too.

29 minutes ago, adam said:

Great pick, as much as I didn't want a TE in the 2nd, based on recent SB teams, an elite TE is critical. With Graham, Kmet, Harris, and Holtz, we have a formidable TE group can run a ton of 12 personnel. Monty should be excited too.

TE was never on my shopping list after signing Graham and the other guy.  However, I like Kmet.  Great breakdown.

14 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

TE was never on my shopping list after signing Graham and the other guy.  However, I like Kmet.  Great breakdown.

Which leads me to believe he was actually BPA. Either way, I am just glad the team didn't trade up for him. There have been comparisons to Greg Olsen, so I will take that. One minor note, he is only 21, which is a plus. 

Still trying to rationalize some things here but first the positives; big (huge) kid, local kid (could make for a cool story being a local kid who went to ND then back to Chicago to play in the big leagues).  Has speed (4.7 40...that’s pretty damn impressive).  Catches with his hands!l. Yes I know that seems obvious but it’s a lost art.  Arob does it too and does it well.  Anyhow, Kmet isn’t afraid of where he’ll be catching passes; over the middle and short yardage.  Even says he prefers to run over people (that’s almost reason enough in my book).  

My concerns; very little production in college. When I say that I mean he only has a total of 600ish yards receiving and 4 TDs in his whole career.  And 500ish of that was his Junior year...last year.  To put it in perspective Shaheen has nearly 900 yards receiving and 16 TDs in his three year college career.  When then “experts” project a player to be 1st or even 2nd round quality on that little production I can’t help be reminded of Trubisky; himself projected as a 1st.  Along with that I get concerned with his durability.  Not as much playing time in college could translate to an unknown amount of injury risk going forward...or... it could mean he’ll be fine BECAUSE he hasn’t got that wear and tear.  

Overall I’m still cautiously optimistic with the pick.  It makes sense for this team especially if you’re expecting nothing more than a lot of WCO style offense if Mitch is driving.  The video does demonstrates a good knack for blocking so that will help.  If he’s constantly lined up next to Leno then he’ll never be catching a pass (lol).  I guess all we can do is wait and see.  I’m sure one of the 10 TEs on the roster will work out.  🤔

My concern is that I don’t really see any impressive catch and runs from him. It’s mostly catch and get tackled, maybe knock some guys over. I’m not sure what he can do in the open field. Watching his highlights, he reminds me of Zach Miller. 

1 hour ago, dawhizz said:

My concern is that I don’t really see any impressive catch and runs from him. It’s mostly catch and get tackled, maybe knock some guys over. I’m not sure what he can do in the open field. Watching his highlights, he reminds me of Zach Miller. 

Typical Y-TE stuff but if he can get us first downs and the occasional chunk play that's pretty good.  Use the U-TE for the deeper stuff and outside the hashes.   

57 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Typical Y-TE stuff but if he can get us first downs and the occasional chunk play that's pretty good.  Use the U-TE for the deeper stuff and outside the hashes.   

The Bears just needed production from TE.  He will play right away, maybe strictly Y, but he could become a Jason Witten, Little, or Kyle Rudolph. Can he become a move TE like Kelce? I can see it also.  At ND, he played all over.  He lined up in the back field, out wide, in the slot.  

His numbers at ND can undervalue what he can do.  The offense ND ran spreads the ball around between TE, WR, and RB.  Having watched Cole his whole career at ND we got a big physical TE with soft hands, with good instincts and technique.  Like AZ pointed out his ability to sell the block before going on his route demonstrates a kid with good football IQ that will put the time into working on the little things that make him better.  I'm looking forward to him and Graham on the field together and that Cole has that vet to mentor him is a great situation.  Watching his draft video and seeing his excitement to play for his hometown team is genuine.  

45 minutes ago, lemonej said:

IJS, Is The ND QB A Stud? IMO the jury is out!

Good to see you back Lemon. 

Their starting QB Ian Book did a nice job nailing a cheerleader in the face once...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/notre-damesian-book-louisville-cheerleader-errant-throw

But overall it appears he’s had a decent career at ND with a 20-3 record ... so far.  Threw over 3100 yards last year with minimal TOs.  Also had highly regarded WR Chase Claypool to throw to.  Ian chose to go back and play another year at ND.  Not sure why ...

I agree the ‘jury is still out’ on Kmet.  We’ll have to wait until the season unfolds to really see what kind of player he is. 

So, I keep hearing that Kmet is a classic Y tight end with Graham serving as the U tight end. The U tight end is the one that moves around, goes in the slot, etc. and is primary pass-catcher in this offense (Kelce in KC, Ertz in Philly). So, what is the actual value of the Y tight end in this offense, statistically speaking? Who was the Y in KC and what was their production? I’m struggling to think of another productive TE in KC since Krlce’d been there.  How did the Y in Philly produce? I assume maybe it’s Goedert(?).

I have seen a couple draft sites compare Kmet to Jason Witten. I think he ends up being a force in the red zone  . He may produce more than most rookie TEs just because he is important in Nagys offense.  Philly run the double TE scheme more than any other team in the league. I see it helping our running game more not because of Graham and Kmets blocking but how it forces the defense to adjust our of their 8 in the box scheme. 

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I have seen a couple draft sites compare Kmet to Jason Witten. I think he ends up being a force in the red zone  . He may produce more than most rookie TEs just because he is important in Nagys offense.  Philly run the double TE scheme more than any other team in the league. I see it helping our running game more not because of Graham and Kmets blocking but how it forces the defense to adjust our of their 8 in the box scheme. 

So I guess the most apt comparison is Dallas Goedert, right? They were both second round tight ends to serve as the Y TE in similar offenses. I've heard comparisons to Kyle Rudolph and Jason Witten, but both those guys are those teams' primary pass catcher.  So Goedert had 33/334/4 TDs his rookie year and 58/607/5 TDs last year (which is a little inflated because his best game was when he came in as the Y when Ertz got hurt and he started at least one other came when Ertz was hurt).  So, I guess a good year from Kmet as a Y tight end would be 30-40 catches, 300-400 yards and 4-5 TDs?  Keep in mind Goedert was a much more productive TE in college than Ertz, albiet at a much lower level of competition.  Would people be happy with that production on a yearly basis from a 2nd round tight end? 

The other thing I wonder, with all this talk about Kmet being a perfect Y tight end, is, when the Bears move on from Graham in a year or two, do the Bears expect Kmet to step into the U position, or will they keep Kmet at the Y and need a new U tight end?

48 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

So I guess the most apt comparison is Dallas Goedert, right? They were both second round tight ends to serve as the Y TE in similar offenses. I've heard comparisons to Kyle Rudolph and Jason Witten, but both those guys are those teams' primary pass catcher.  So Goedert had 33/334/4 TDs his rookie year and 58/607/5 TDs last year (which is a little inflated because his best game was when he came in as the Y when Ertz got hurt and he started at least one other came when Ertz was hurt).  So, I guess a good year from Kmet as a Y tight end would be 30-40 catches, 300-400 yards and 4-5 TDs?  Keep in mind Goedert was a much more productive TE in college than Ertz, albiet at a much lower level of competition.  Would people be happy with that production on a yearly basis from a 2nd round tight end? 

The other thing I wonder, with all this talk about Kmet being a perfect Y tight end, is, when the Bears move on from Graham in a year or two, do the Bears expect Kmet to step into the U position, or will they keep Kmet at the Y and need a new U tight end?

The Bears can break Kmet in as the Y as he learns the ropes. Not that he cannot play the U/H, because he did at Notre Dame.  If he plays strictly a Y, you can compare him to Witten/Rudolph. If Graham moves on in a year, Kmet can move to the U/H and become a Ertz/Kelce.  He is versatile, but no reason to sit Graham for the rookie because Graham is not a great Y.

9 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The Bears can break Kmet in as the Y as he learns the ropes. Not that he cannot play the U/H, because he did at Notre Dame.  If he plays strictly a Y, you can compare him to Witten/Rudolph. If Graham moves on in a year, Kmet can move to the U/H and become a Ertz/Kelce.  He is versatile, but no reason to sit Graham for the rookie because Graham is not a great Y.

Ultimately that will be his true value.  Everyone is looking for some special attributes that says he's elite.  He doesn't have that but he does have a good bit of all you want from a TE at either the U or Y position.  Down the road that will make it tough for teams to know which defensive personnel they want on the field.  Kmet has already shown he can line up inline, as an  H-back and block or go on a route.  Or he can line up as a WR either in the slot or even out wide.  He doesn't have to be great at those roles just good enough that you must respect him.  Do you defend him with a LB (run expectation) or Safety?