Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stinger226

Free agency begins

Recommended Posts

In one day this negative vibe that  clouds the Bears could change with a Duane Brown signing, Xaiver Rhodes, Tajae Sharpe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

In one day this negative vibe that  clouds the Bears could change with a Duane Brown signing, Xaiver Rhodes, Tajae Sharpe.

There really is a lot that can be done right now to make this roster really competitive.  

If they do really well in the draft and bring in some key free agents this team is just a few bad picks from green Bay away from winning the north....that's right I said it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be happy with:

OL: Fisher or Brown
WR: Humphries - True Slot WR
WR: Sharpe - replaces Byrd or Goodwin
LB: Hitchens
CB: Rhodes 

One thing to note for some of these guys, they may have some agreement worked out in principle, but want to wait until after the draft to sign them due to comp picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think offers  are on the table and the closer it gets to the draft, some players will sign to make sure they don't get left out. I like Beasley better, wise vet that has produced everywhere he's been. Would help the WR room.I tink try only sign one more WR and draft 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

The bears just signed James O'Shaughnessy, TE

That's probably all we need at TE for the season.  Kmet, Griffin, O'Shaughnessy, Hosted.  We won't commit early picks to TE and we won't find anyone on day 3 ready to contribute more than these guys.  I expect we'll focus on other priorities in the draft.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

That's probably all we need at TE for the season.  Kmet, Griffin, O'Shaughnessy, Hosted.  We won't commit early picks to TE and we won't find anyone on day 3 ready to contribute more than these guys.  I expect we'll focus on other priorities in the draft.   

UDFAs might bring some, but not drafting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

That's probably all we need at TE for the season.  Kmet, Griffin, O'Shaughnessy, Hosted.  We won't commit early picks to TE and we won't find anyone on day 3 ready to contribute more than these guys.  I expect we'll focus on other priorities in the draft.   

And we signed a fullback as well. I would UDFA is the only place we will grab one. 

Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is Deebo wants the 25 mil a year contract. We could have had AROB for 15.5.  I suggest we draft our#1 and get 4 yrs of use before they ask for 20+, by the way, he's a stud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were talking on NFL XM radio this morning that the Packers could be a team interested in Debo, their cap situation may say otherwise.  I'm sure there's some team out there that would be willing to give Debo what he wants money wise.  Poles is probably interested in the talent but not for that kind of money, not right now.  He's being careful this offseason with signings.  We may see a couple more signings before the draft and after the draft there may be more guys come available between FA and UDFAs.  This offseason is going to be a budget offseason, with eyes on making bigger moves next offseason to start seriously competing in 2023 and beyond.  It's not sexy or exciting but it's smart to be low key this offseason, hang onto or add as much draft capitol as you can.  Robbing the future to patch the present has gotten us into the mess we're in.  So if we need to use an offseason to "reset" our ability to acquire assets in FA and the Draft in the future that's the smart play here.   You never know how the draft will play out and there are usually guys that become available that may not have been pre-draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

They were talking on NFL XM radio this morning that the Packers could be a team interested in Debo, their cap situation may say otherwise.

On the one hand I would absolutely hate to see Deebo end up on the Packers.  But on the other, it would be funny to see them drop that kinda loot only to flame out during the first round of the playoffs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

On the one hand I would absolutely hate to see Deebo end up on the Packers.  But on the other, it would be funny to see them drop that kinda loot only to flame out during the first round of the playoffs.  

The Packers traded Adams because they didn't want to pay him 25+, there not going to trade for a WR that wants 25+ for a contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

The Packers traded Adams because they didn't want to pay him 25+, there not going to trade for a WR that wants 25+ for a contract. 

I think it was just as much they didn't want to pay $25M+ long term for a Wideout who was at Adam's age. Deebo is younger (2nd contract vs. 3rd contract (Adams) so you are really buying what should still be the prime of his career.  May or may not change things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Lynch does as I suspect he will, and demand a huge compensation package in trade. If the Packers had to give up, let's say, a first and a third round pick in this years draft in addition to having to deal with Deebo's salary demands, I can't believe they go for the trade.

On second thought, it would be such a dumb move on GB's part, I hope the 49ers hose the Pack. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I hope Lynch does as I suspect he will, and demand a huge compensation package in trade. If the Packers had to give up, let's say, a first and a third round pick in this years draft in addition to having to deal with Deebo's salary demands, I can't believe they go for the trade.

On second thought, it would be such a dumb move on GB's part, I hope the 49ers hose the Pack. ;-)

Considering they got a 1st and a 2nd for Davonte,  giving up a 1st and a 3rd for Deebo would be a win overall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We  signed 3 players today. Julian Davenport/OT  33 starts in Houston

                                                   David Moore/WR 4.43 speed 13 TDs scored in NFL

                                                    Greg Stromal JR/ CB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

We  signed 3 players today. Julian Davenport/OT  33 starts in Houston

                                                   David Moore/WR 4.43 speed 13 TDs scored in NFL

                                                    Greg Stromal JR/ CB

Somebody needs to get on the wayback machine because I think Davenport was in some pre-draft discussions here years ago as an OT option on Day 3 or UDFA.   Unless something has changed he's got really slow feet.  At best he's competing for a backup OT role but that's ok.   If he has improved his technique with his length he can be a viable backup.    

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706642-julien-davenport-nfl-draft-2017-scouting-report-for-houston-texans-pick

"A two-time team captain and four-year starter at left tackle, Julie'n Davenport has two things you can't coach—size and length. At 6'7" and 318 pounds, he has 36 ½-inch arms and massive 10 ½-inch hands. He's the first guy you want coming off the bus. Davenport has an excellent reach, and his best asset is his punch. He has a quick strike and can get to defenders much earlier than his peers.

At the Senior Bowl, we saw him knocking back pass-rushers with nice timing and power on the limbs he calls arms. Davenport is a great fit in a zone-blocking scheme, where his length and his movement skills would allow him to cut off defenders in the running game. From a size and strength perspective, Davenport is prototypical."

David Moore is absolutely in the mix and will push Dazz to earn a roster spot.  Plus it's a small world and he's got some family tradition to live up to....  

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/roster-moves-bears-sign-wr-moore-cb-stroman

Moore is ultra-excited to follow in the footsteps of his second cousin, James Allen, a Bears running back from 1998-2001 who rushed for 1,978 yards and four touchdowns on 515 carries while appearing in 50 games with 27 starts.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Somebody needs to get on the wayback machine because I think Davenport was in some pre-draft discussions here years ago as an OT option on Day 3 or UDFA.   Unless something has changed he's got really slow feet.  At best he's competing for a backup OT role but that's ok.   If he has improved his technique with his length he can be a viable backup.  

How about February 2017?  It was Stinger looking into his crystal ball.  Not sure if Davenport came up in discussion after that:

  ASHKUM BEAR said:
It has been reported that Buffalo will not use the franchise tag on Stephen Gilmore CB. This is encouraging.

Since we now know more information, my new want list is:

Tony Jefferson/SS He has played well and will receive a big pay day.

Stephen Gilmore/CB I think he is more of a play maker than most of the other FAs.

Calais Campbell/5T I preferred Short but got tagged. he will command a big contract.

Jack Doyle/TE Hes has a history with our new WR coach that may bring him here. He is an excellent blocker which we need at TE.

Russel Okung The best LT available and still 28 (Kelvin Beachum is not as good a player but would be a upgrade over Leno and cost less)

I figure we wont be getting Jeffery to stay home so we now add a WR to our list of needs.

draft:

still need a FS-CB - edge rusher- QB prospect

 

1) trade back to 12 and get extra picks from Cleveland 2nd and 3rd rounders

1-12 Kizer/QB

2a Buddy Baker/FS

2b Gareon Conley/CB

3a Zay Jones/WR

3b Derek Rivers/OLB

4a Carlos Henderson/WR

4b Julian Davenport/OT

5 Josh Tupou/DT

7 Zane Gonzales/K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually if you look at the drafted list Baker, Conley, Zay Jones  Gonzales  all made it.  I would have got a B for that draft. Yet I don't have a draft show. Or producing a draft guide. Oh well, I'll take retired in Thailand.

IMG_20220316_074148.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Moore signing, he's shown ability to be a guy in the league. Add a WR in the draft and I think you're pretty well set with the WR room.. Davenport is hopefully nothing more than a backup to the backup. He got a start last year for the colts when Fisher went down and was awful. Other guy is meh too. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, scs787 said:

I like the Moore signing, he's shown ability to be a guy in the league. Add a WR in the draft and I think you're pretty well set with the WR room.. Davenport is hopefully nothing more than a backup to the backup. He got a start last year for the colts when Fisher went down and was awful. Other guy is meh too. 

 

 

None of these are slap in the face moves but could be sneaky good cheap additions. I discovered this channel on YouTube, he breaks down everything Bears and does a good job.

Moore has some game to him. Kinda think he will be like the Taylor Gabriel signing. Adds to the team but not special. Davenport will never beat someone out to start but can be a serious swing tackle.He lacks consistent play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the impression Poles is ‘diamond in the rough’ type of guy. Having been a UDFA himself he can appreciate players that may not have a lot of hype but can prove their worth through hard work and effort.  Obviously it’s too soon to say this is how he evaluates players but the trend seems headed that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I get the impression Poles is ‘diamond in the rough’ type of guy. Having been a UDFA himself he can appreciate players that may not have a lot of hype but can prove their worth through hard work and effort.  Obviously it’s too soon to say this is how he evaluates players but the trend seems headed that way. 

We will see.  I remember all the strike outs Pace had to when trying to fill out the roster with 2nd and 3rd wavers.

We have to give him a pass this year because he is working with a few nickles left over from Pace.  Next year he will have a ton of cap and a full draft deck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×