Kyle Fuller, CB

Guest TerraTor

What this means is, he is a nickel this year, and Peanut is gone after this 1-yr contract.

Hope he turns into Deion Sanders, but generally you want a first rounder, especially a top 15 guy, to be on the field more than 50% of the defensive plays.

What this means is, he is a nickel this year, and Peanut is gone after this 1-yr contract.

Hope he turns into Deion Sanders, but generally you want a first rounder, especially a top 15 guy, to be on the field more than 50% of the defensive plays.

He will be, with all the talent on the board, they took this guy.After we see on all of this works out, we will take a different view of this. Im not elated or feel bad about this pick. We are one injury away from any first round pick playing all the time. Donald was gone, and no other DT had that value at 14(IMO). They liked Long and he turned out great, so lets just see how all of this plays out. We obviously still have a need, but maybe they think there is value in a S that they can get in the next two rounds we just dont have figured out.

He will be, with all the talent on the board, they took this guy.After we see on all of this works out, we will take a different view of this. Im not elated or feel bad about this pick. We are one injury away from any first round pick playing all the time. Donald was gone, and no other DT had that value at 14(IMO). They liked Long and he turned out great, so lets just see how all of this plays out. We obviously still have a need, but maybe they think there is value in a S that they can get in the next two rounds we just dont have figured out.

I think Donald would have been our pick if he was there, but if Gilbert was still there I dont doubt we still would have taken Fuller, not as fast, but every bit more physical than Gilbert.

The Safety class was much thinner, so if you missed in the first, there is no one of value until the 4th? With Gilbert gone, and not a single Safety selected, this is harder to justify. Now we have to hope we can get one of the remaining DT's in the 2nd before there is a run on them.

From my post on Apr 9th:

------------------------------------------------

I watched some highlights of this kid and really like how he plays the game, both in pass coverage and run support. He won't be an elite cover corner but he matches up well with the attributes of what Jennings and Tillman have. He can definitely play man coverage and would likely be outstanding in zone coverage as he seems to have great instincts and drives on the ball. He'll need a year or two to add strength (like most rookies).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,4658826.story

I wanted DT in the 1st because I believe it's better to build inside out. When Donald was gone to StL, second to that I preferred one of the top two safeties. However, using the way-back machine….my initial impressions after watching 2 or 3 game films of Fuller were very good. I actually liked how he plays the game better than either Gilbert (who seems bit soft) or Denied (great in press but run support was lacking IMO). If Emery and his scouts had Fuller as their top rated CB in the draft after all the film, interviews, workouts, etc. I am not going to disagree one bit. This kid is a football player and athletically he's very similar to what Tillman was when he came out of college. I think Fuller's instincts on the field might be better (relative to when Tillman was drafted).

Now go get us a DT!

I wanted DT in the 1st because I believe it's better to build inside out. When Donald was gone to StL, second to that I preferred one of the top two safeties. However, using the way-back machine….my initial impressions after watching 2 or 3 game films of Fuller were very good. I actually liked how he plays the game better than either Gilbert (who seems bit soft) or Denied (great in press but run support was lacking IMO). If Emery and his scouts had Fuller as their top rated CB in the draft after all the film, interviews, workouts, etc. I am not going to disagree one bit. This kid is a football player and athletically he's very similar to what Tillman was when he came out of college. I think Fuller's instincts on the field might be better (relative to when Tillman was drafted).

Now go get us a DT!

Excellent post.

I will never get over excited or overly depressed about any of the picks since I endured the Wannie era. I love the draft and the guesing involved but usually have no clue what these GMs are thinking so then with this coaching staff I believe lies the answer. John Hoke seems to be considered a good DB coach and he has taken Isaiah Frey the other ok Emery pick and made him serviceable plus he helped ressurrect Jennings career.I'm willing to see what happens because this will be make or break for Tucker and I definitely like that thought when all the money is being spent on defense this off season. If there is no marked improvement he can join Mike Phair and the other guy whose name I can't remember on someone else's staff.

I will never get over excited or overly depressed about any of the picks since I endured the Wannie era. I love the draft and the guesing involved but usually have no clue what these GMs are thinking so then with this coaching staff I believe lies the answer. John Hoke seems to be considered a good DB coach and he has taken Isaiah Frey the other ok Emery pick and made him serviceable plus he helped ressurrect Jennings career.I'm willing to see what happens because this will be make or break for Tucker and I definitely like that thought when all the money is being spent on defense this off season. If there is no marked improvement he can join Mike Phair and the other guy whose name I can't remember on someone else's staff.

FWIW Mel was a DBs coach before being a DC, so there's that. Maybe his D puts importance on the CB position.

Fuller looks GREAT. He will be a great press and zone CB for us. He is a hard hitting player who can get the ball, and punish receivers. He will be terrific in run support. Frankly, he looks like a tougher hitter than Pryor.

Keep in mind that we have guys on our defensive staff who were with Pryor for 4 years at college. They know him, so we had the best scouting on Pryor possible. I dont mean to say that Pryor isnt good, Im saying Fuller is better, and fits our scheme perfectly.

For once we have a GM looking past the first four weeks of the season, thank god.

You guys are going to love this player.

From my post on Apr 9th:

I watched some highlights of this kid and really like how he plays the game, both in pass coverage and run support. He won't be an elite cover corner but he matches up well with the attributes of what Jennings and Tillman have. He can definitely play man coverage and would likely be outstanding in zone coverage as he seems to have great instincts and drives on the ball. He'll need a year or two to add strength (like most rookies).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,4658826.story

Now go get us a DT!

I agree with this too, and while like many of us who had our idea who the Bears should draft, I was frustrated with some of these picks at the time but having had a chance to go back and review footage of these guys, I'm liking our draft more than I did when the picks were taken. Watching Fuller play does remind me a lot of Peanut. He's a ball hawking cover corner, who appears to often know the route as well or better than the WR, but he also has that aggressiveness and nose for the ball in the run game. Let Peanut teach him the ball punch and we could have ourselves a solid corner to carry on when Tillman is gone.