OTAs Day One Notes

adam

Here are some interesting nuggets out of today's note:

Jennings going to Nickel on passing downs:

Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings are the club's starting cornerbacks. But when the Bears go into nickel defense, they bring in first-round pick Kyle Fuller to play outside at Jennings' spot, and move Jennings inside to nickel. At this point in the offseason, the Bears will continue to tinker with personnel and different sub packages to figure out what works best. But this is how things are looking early.

Williams looking good:

The confidence the staff seems to have in Chris Williams taking over as Chicago's primary return man seems warranted after taking a good look at him during Tuesday's workout. He's easily the quickest among the team's receiving corps. During Williams' time in the Canadian Football League, he scored a record six return touchdowns and generated 1,117 punt return yards. At training camp, he's definitely a player folks should keep an eye on.

Can our receiving corps get any better:

During breaks in practice, receivers Alshon Jeffery, Marquess Wilson, Josh Morgan and Eric Weems stood on the side catching tennis balls in both hands in rapid succession from offensive quality control coach Carson Walch. Interestingly, there weren't many dropped balls during Tuesday's practice.

SMC:

We finally caught a glimpse of Shea McClellin playing linebacker, and he didn't look bad at all. In fact he looked pretty natural scraping against the run and dropping back into coverage on passes. McClellin drew plenty of compliments from the coaching staff during Tuesday's practice.

Bostic:

With Williams absent Tuesday, second-year linebacker Jon Bostic took over the first-team reps at middle linebacker. He stayed on the field with Lance Briggs in nickel situations, with Shea McClellin coming off. McClellin took first-team reps at strong-side linebacker and moved to the middle with the second-team unit. He handled the defensive calls with the second team as well.

All that time on South Beach is paying off:

It's apparent the skill-position players -- especially the receivers -- spent plenty of time training this offseason. They all appear to be in excellent shape, as does tight end Martellus Bennett.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...from-bears-otas

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/05/27/hog...-as-nickelback/

Thanks for sharing all that!

Here are some interesting nuggets out of today's note:

Jennings going to Nickel on passing downs:

Williams looking good:

Can our receiving corps get any better:

SMC:

Bostic:

All that time on South Beach is paying off:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...from-bears-otas

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/05/27/hog...-as-nickelback/

Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings are the club's starting cornerbacks. But when the Bears go into nickel defense, they bring in first-round pick Kyle Fuller to play outside at Jennings' spot, and move Jennings inside to nickel. At this point in the offseason, the Bears will continue to tinker with personnel and different sub packages to figure out what works best. But this is how things are looking early.

Saw this one coming. Should be a solid strategy.

Williams looking good:

The confidence the staff seems to have in Chris Williams taking over as Chicago's primary return man seems warranted after taking a good look at him during Tuesday's workout. He's easily the quickest among the team's receiving corps. During Williams' time in the Canadian Football League, he scored a record six return touchdowns and generated 1,117 punt return yards. At training camp, he's definitely a player folks should keep an eye on.

Will be interesting to see/hear if he gets involved in the passing game as well. I've always said a burner isn't really needed, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

SMC:

We finally caught a glimpse of Shea McClellin playing linebacker, and he didn't look bad at all. In fact he looked pretty natural scraping against the run and dropping back into coverage on passes. McClellin drew plenty of compliments from the coaching staff during Tuesday's practice.

Good to hear, he certainly has the athleticism to find a home there. Will he beat out DJ and Bostic though?? Then what?

Bostic:

With Williams absent Tuesday, second-year linebacker Jon Bostic took over the first-team reps at middle linebacker. He stayed on the field with Lance Briggs in nickel situations, with Shea McClellin coming off. McClellin took first-team reps at strong-side linebacker and moved to the middle with the second-team unit. He handled the defensive calls with the second team as well.

Not surprised to see Bostic as the one to stay on the field in nickel situations, he was solid dropping into coverage.

Only surprised to see Jennings moving inside to nickel back. Losing Hixon on day 1 is bad news from one day of practice and for him the 3rd time on the same knee.

I scanned the photos of practice and a few guys stood out. It's photos and really means nothing other than seeing those who might be out of shape.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/pho...590eb39a6#start

Most have already seen the new SMC. Garza looks like he hasn't left the weight room in 3 months. Greene also seems to have added some bulk and Ford looks ripped. Will Sutton has noticeably trimmed the extra weight and that's good news for both his quickness and stamina. OTOH Ratliff looks like he's had too many biscuits and M.D. Jennings doesn't look strong enough to survive a full season playing safety in the NFL.

Mundy looking good (#sighofrelief):

Look of a pro: When you watch veteran safeties on the practice field, they demonstrate patience in their footwork and show the ability to identify concepts in the passing game.

That was Ryan Mundy on Tuesday versus quarterback Jay Cutler and the No.1 offense.

The free-agent pickup has the opportunity to win the starting job at strong safety, and he looked the part of a veteran who understands angles, leverage and technique.

With the Bears showing their base coverages (Cover-1, Cover-2), Mundy played some press man versus tight end Martellus Bennett and also rolled to the deep half in Cover-2 to put a tent on top of the defense. Mundy showed some athleticism and was quick with his run/pass keys to find the ball.

Wasn't there a separate post with pics from the first day of OTA's? Where did that go?

I was going to ask, for those that may make it to see some of these practices, how did players like Christian Jones, Fendi Onubun and Willie Young look?

I don't believe these practices are open to the public.

Peace :bringit

Wasn't there a separate post with pics from the first day of OTA's? Where did that go? I was going to ask, for those that may make it to see some of these practices, how did players like Christian Jones, Fendi Onubun and Willie Young look?

There were some pictures of the 3 day rookie practice. . . .

There's a link above to the story on ChicagoBears.com.

Oh yeah...there it is. I coulda swore that it was under it's own heading. That's what I get for reading first thing in the morning.....

Regardless, I just saw that Trestman invited Singletary to the OTA's today. Well played, Trestman. Now maybe consider hiring him to be our DC!!!

Wonder if it's more like the motivational visit that Ditka did last year? But yes I would be good with Singletary as DC or at the very least, LB coach.

Damn...first Wilbur, then Samurai.

Goota love Coach Trestman!

There's a link above to the story on ChicagoBears.com.

Regardless, I just saw that Trestman invited Singletary to the OTA's today. Well played, Trestman. Now maybe consider hiring him to be our DC!!!

gotta say it's nice seeing J. Allen in Bears gear :)

It is interesting to hear that they are experimenting with Jennings moving to nickel backer and Fuller outside. I would have expected Fuller to come in as the nickel as I'm sure most of us would. But I'm sure they will be doing some experimentations at CB, and at some point they'll test Jennings staying put and Fuller at nickel. I'm glad they are moving parts around to see what works best on field.

I like hearing that SMC is looking good at LB, he's definitely got the measurables and tools to be a very effective LB. This move could prove to salvage his career. Most of us were saying he's a better fit at LB than DE when he was drafted now we will get to see if we were right.

Bummer about Hix torn ACL and subsequent early retirement. But thankfully he's not a key component to our team. Like the Cowboys loosing Lee again.

Always good to get Bears news

It is interesting to hear that they are experimenting with Jennings moving to nickel backer and Fuller outside. I would have expected Fuller to come in as the nickel as I'm sure most of us would. But I'm sure they will be doing some experimentations at CB, and at some point they'll test Jennings staying put and Fuller at nickel. I'm glad they are moving parts around to see what works best on field.

I like hearing that SMC is looking good at LB, he's definitely got the measurables and tools to be a very effective LB. This move could prove to salvage his career. Most of us were saying he's a better fit at LB than DE when he was drafted now we will get to see if we were right.

Bummer about Hix torn ACL and subsequent early retirement. But thankfully he's not a key component to our team. Like the Cowboys loosing Lee again.

I think the CB rotation will be "Matchup based", and by that I think we'll see Jennings on the smaller receiver, wherever that smaller receiver is lined up. If there's a TE playing the slot Fuller will probably matchup against him (He shut down Ebron, who is now with Detroit, in college).

I am not sure but dont think anybody made the team from there OTAs performances. It is just a session getting people in the right spots and learning there specific assignments. Never really tells us much.

I am not sure but dont think anybody made the team from there OTAs performances. It is just a session getting people in the right spots and learning there specific assignments. Never really tells us much.

Just looking into this with the new CBA. A player can receive a playbook whenever, but the coach cannot contact/talk to a player until April 16th. OTA's are about setting the tone of practices and seeing where/who is behind.

I am not sure how many players are self preparing like the Bears Marshall, Jeffery, Cutler, Forte, Wilson, and Bennett, but they have put themselves ahead of the curve. Now we need someone on Defense that can unite the players for that type of unity and preparedness.