Bleacher Report: Bears looking to move up for Mariotta

DABEARSDABOMB

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2421423...-mob-art-vid-16

Of course, in typical BR fashion, the video doesn't quite say that. What Jason Cole says is, that there are "some in the Bears organization" who "wonder" if Mariota would be a good option for the Bears IF they can get the Titans to take Cutler in a trade. Which fits into the "no duh" category for me. There's nothing saying the Bears are trying to trade Cutler or that the Titans are interested at all. It's just the kind of thing someone says when they have absolutely no real evidence to back it up, but wants to get clicks.

Did you guys see that no one bid on an autographed Cutler football at a benefit auction? :chair :bang :lolhitting

This is how I feel every time I see an article trying to stir up more Jay Cutler talk on FB or Yahoo news etc.

Pretty funny that no one hears about the auction until after no one bids on his football. I would've for $100, especially with it going to charity.

Starting to believe in the Mariota connection to Chicago. When you look back at the timeline, the signs are there. There was a report last month with Mariota talking about the Bears being "very interested". Last week Ryan Pace said that he would not be afraid to take him if he fell to #7. And now this rumor.

Up until recently, I always felt like the Bears might be trying to sell a smokescreen, and they still might be, but this is now the 3rd or 4th time I've seen his name being thrown around in Chicago. We'll see.. I don't think they will end up getting him, but I do believe they really like him.

Starting to believe in the Mariota connection to Chicago. When you look back at the timeline, the signs are there. There was a report last month with Mariota talking about the Bears being "very interested". Last week Ryan Pace said that he would not be afraid to take him if he fell to #7. And now this rumor.

Up until recently, I always felt like the Bears might be trying to sell a smokescreen, and they still might be, but this is now the 3rd or 4th time I've seen his name being thrown around in Chicago. We'll see.. I don't think they will end up getting him, but I do believe they really like him.

As quiet as they have been with all there signing do you really think any information is going to leak out if they actually want Mariota?

Their support of Cutler may be the smoke screen instead.

I think that is highly unlikely though, I just can't see Cutler having the value of the 14th over all to move up. I'm sure Pace knows his market value, as their had to be some inquiries and offers. I can't see him turning down anything close to that value, yet alone gambling by turning down something that valuable in hopes of a trade with the Titans.

If they were saying the Bears 7th over all, a first next year, and Cutler then I would believe it. I wish it was true, just not very likely.

Edit: or a trade with Washington, not involving Cutler would be believable.

Their support of Cutler may be the smoke screen instead.

If they were saying the Bears 7th over all, a first next year, and Cutler then I would believe it. I wish it was true, just not very likely.

This might be the most sensible idea. There is a lot of like for Cutler in the Tenessee area. I'm not sure the option of this years 1st and next years with Cutler for #2 overall is enough though. With the money Cutler demands and Cutler being Cutler it can't be very inviting for Ken Whisenhunt. He's dangling by a thread as it is, bringing Cutler over would most certainly send him to the unemployment line next year.

I have long said I think Cutler and Titans make way too much sense.

I think the people pushing it are vastly overestimating that love people in Tennessee have for Cutler. If this was a former Tennessee QB, that would be one thing. But its not like Vanderbilt has a rabid following that would translate to the Titans, and I don't see many tweets from Tennessee fans who love the potential addition of Cutler. Most often, it's the opposite.

I have not been pushing for Marcus but he clearly has nice skill-sets, etc. Projectability is hard to predict but by all accounts his make-up is off the charts and he's a hard worker. The question really is whether he can make the necessary tweaks and put in the time to excel at the NFL and if he is smart enough to play at the NFL level (deal with anticipation / look off safeties, etc). That is something that really no college QB has (or very rare that a college QB excels at it, especially in this day and age) so it is hard to gauge. Reason people are so comfortable with Winston is he's been in a system where he's been able to demonstrate some of those NFL skills for 2 years.

If Bears like Marcus, I'm all for taking the cap pain and getting the #2 pick and losing Cutler and trying it out.

I think the people pushing it are vastly overestimating that love people in Tennessee have for Cutler. If this was a former Tennessee QB, that would be one thing. But its not like Vanderbilt has a rabid following that would translate to the Titans, and I don't see many tweets from Tennessee fans who love the potential addition of Cutler. Most often, it's the opposite.

The Titans and Vanderbilt are both in Nashville (about 2.5 miles away from each other), so there is a pretty big following in that area for both teams. Not as big as Vandy baseball, but still popular. However, the consensus among fans is they don't want Cutler.

Also, I am against moving up or trading for players when we lose picks. Look what Cutler turned into:

1st Round 2009 (18) - Could've been Alex Mack or Clay Matthews

1st Round 2010 (11) - Denver traded down to #13, picked up #113, traded down to #24, picked up 2x 3rd Rounders (Eric Decker, WR, #87), used #113 to move up to #22 (selected Demaryius Thomas). NE used #113 on Aaron Hernandez. NE traded #24 to Dallas (who selected Dez Bryant). NE moved to #27 and selected McCourty.

3rd Round 2009 (84) - Mike Wallace, WR

So we could've had Clay Matthews, Dez Bryant, Aaron Hernandez, Eric Decker, and Mike Wallace and an extra 3rd Rounder.

Those two years devoid of early picks is another reason why we have so few players on the team that were drafted by us.

I have not been pushing for Marcus but he clearly has nice skill-sets, etc. Projectability is hard to predict but by all accounts his make-up is off the charts and he's a hard worker. The question really is whether he can make the necessary tweaks and put in the time to excel at the NFL and if he is smart enough to play at the NFL level (deal with anticipation / look off safeties, etc). That is something that really no college QB has (or very rare that a college QB excels at it, especially in this day and age) so it is hard to gauge. Reason people are so comfortable with Winston is he's been in a system where he's been able to demonstrate some of those NFL skills for 2 years.

If Bears like Marcus, I'm all for taking the cap pain and getting the #2 pick and losing Cutler and trying it out.

Petty has the most question marks coming out of Baylor's offense, and Mariota has the second most. He rarely called plays, commanded a huddle, or went through progressions/pre-snap reads, etc. I think he has all the other intangibles you want in a QB, but I would not want him with the expectation that he has to play from Day 1. For us, if we were interested, the only way I would select him is if he fell to us at #7. That would mean Winston, Williams, Beasley, Fowler, White, and Cooper are off the board. We would have to choose between him, Shelton, Collins, Scherff, Waynes, or one of the other Edge Rushers. Then it at least warrants a discussion. My hope would be a team even more desperate for a QB (hello Cleveland) wants to move up and gives up more than the trade value chart to get him (ie, 12 and 43 for 7).

The Titans and Vanderbilt are both in Nashville (about 2.5 miles away from each other), so there is a pretty big following in that area for both teams. Not as big as Vandy baseball, but still popular. However, the consensus among fans is they don't want Cutler.

Also, I am against moving up or trading for players when we lose picks. Look what Cutler turned into:

1st Round 2009 (18) - Could've been Alex Mack or Clay Matthews

1st Round 2010 (11) - Denver traded down to #13, picked up #113, traded down to #24, picked up 2x 3rd Rounders (Eric Decker, WR, #87), used #113 to move up to #22 (selected Demaryius Thomas). NE used #113 on Aaron Hernandez. NE traded #24 to Dallas (who selected Dez Bryant). NE moved to #27 and selected McCourty.

3rd Round 2009 (84) - Mike Wallace, WR

So we could've had Clay Matthews, Dez Bryant, Aaron Hernandez, Eric Decker, and Mike Wallace and an extra 3rd Rounder.

Those two years devoid of early picks is another reason why we have so few players on the team that were drafted by us.

I am pretty much always a believer in moving down and accumulating quality picks (e.g., as many round 1-3 picks as possible, preferably the 1st two rounds.

I personally think trading up to get Mariotta is a huge mistake. I don't think his skills project to the NFL, we'd be giving up a better QB AND OUR FIRST and creating unnecessary dead cap space. I've been with Pace so far but I'll be against this move completely.

I agree in principle only. So many other things need addressed before we mortgage the future again with an unknown. If Cutler it's as bad this year as last, we'll be in good position to go all out next year. But, let's fix some of the other shit first.

If it's just the pick swaps and Cutler, I'm all for Mariota. I wouldn't trade a 2nd rounder or a future 1st on top of it though, no way.

Hell, it really wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he sucked in year 1 and the Bears ended up right back here next year with a high pick. As long as it's not because he's 'Shea McClellin out of the league bad' and it's just your typical rookie QB struggles. Who knows, maybe he's actually really good and leads us into playoff contention right away. Cam Newton didn't call much of an offense either at Auburn and he had a fantastic rookie season. I think Mariota could possibly have similar impact.