Cuts Open Thread

adam

I think we continue to go with a youth movement and pass on Docket.

Louis Nix was cut. A guy a lot of people wanted a few years ago out of Notre Dame. Wouldnt mind giving him a look.

Just last year...hasn't played a snap yet in the NFL and is your protypical NT prospect. I think we'd be foolish not to give it a look (as long as the med's check out). See if a change of scenery does him good. If he does, you could pick up a pretty talented player who could turn into a building block. If he doesn't, oh well.

Just last year...hasn't played a snap yet in the NFL and is your protypical NT prospect. I think we'd be foolish not to give it a look (as long as the med's check out). See if a change of scenery does him good. If he does, you could pick up a pretty talented player who could turn into a building block. If he doesn't, oh well.

Just read up on him and it sounds like from May - Sept 2014 he had his 2nd and 3rd knee surgery. I see Henry Melton similarities in this one. Lots of potential but derailed by a knee injury. And Henry only had the one surgery that I recall. ---Pass----

Dezmen Southward, Falcons 3rd round pick at safety (68th overall), is expected to be released. The Falcons converted him from safety to CB this off-season. Given our lack of depth in the secondary, wonder if Bears would take a look. Big physical safety who played 4 years at Wisconsin and appeared in 16 games in his rookie year. Below is some info about him. Remember, he was drafting by the previous regime in Atlanta and Atlanta invested a lot in this position in the off-season.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/roster/...b1-3c2fd47e09e6

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/7/6/8888...-falcons-future

Just read up on him and it sounds like from May - Sept 2014 he had his 2nd and 3rd knee surgery. I see Henry Melton similarities in this one. Lots of potential but derailed by a knee injury. And Henry only had the one surgery that I recall. ---Pass----

But what is the downside here. If he doesn't work, you cut him. Also, I thought those were clean-ups and relatively minor, might be wrong. Our focus this season should be accumulating talent. In Nix case, injuries might have been what derailed him (along with some questions over his effort..but that might change with his back against the wall). Or in the case of the guy the Falcons are going to release (who was a relatively high pick), he is a guy who was picked by a previous regime who might have some upside but didn't fit as the new regime is building things for their scheme.

Dezmen Southward, Falcons 3rd round pick at safety (68th overall), is expected to be released. The Falcons converted him from safety to CB this off-season. Given our lack of depth in the secondary, wonder if Bears would take a look. Big physical safety who played 4 years at Wisconsin and appeared in 16 games in his rookie year. Below is some info about him. Remember, he was drafting by the previous regime in Atlanta and Atlanta invested a lot in this position in the off-season.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/roster/...b1-3c2fd47e09e6

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/7/6/8888...-falcons-future

It's hard to think of a defense that has been as bad or worse than the Bears in the last couple seasons. Atlanta is one of them so I doubt someone they cut as part of their improvement effort is going to help us. I'm sure Pace is watching every name on the waiver wire but I would think we'd be more likely to target secondary help that gets cut from a team with good safeties or corners.

It's hard to think of a defense that has been as bad or worse than the Bears in the last couple seasons. Atlanta is one of them so I doubt someone they cut as part of their improvement effort is going to help us. I'm sure Pace is watching every name on the waiver wire but I would think we'd be more likely to target secondary help that gets cut from a team with good safeties or corners.

And not to pile on but if they (ATL) have invested a lot on their secondary this last year AND their new HC is Dan Quinn (architect of Legion of Boom) and still didn't make the team. This guy might not be worthy of considering.

Per Biggs:

Mason Foster gone:

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/639948923654815744

#Bears have informed WR Rashad Lawrence, who started the last two games, he will be placed on waivers.

#Bears have informed veteran TE Bear Pascoe his contract will be terminated

#Bears have informed OLB Kyle Woestmann he will be placed on waivers.

#Bears have informed veteran TE Dante Rosario they will terminate his contract.

#Bears have informed CB Qumain Black he will be placed on waivers.

Foster is shocking. I thought he's been really good in preseason. Some might argue the best ILB out there. With the emergence of guys like Timu and Anderson I guess theyd rather see the Young Bucks.

and Wells. I am assuming it is SMC and Jones starting, and some combination of Timu/Anderson/Wells as backups and Special Teams. I think Special Teams was the deciding factor.

Foster is shocking. I thought he's been really good in preseason. Some might argue the best ILB out there. With the emergence of guys like Timu and Anderson I guess theyd rather see the Young Bucks.

Still don't know where anyone is getting Foster did well enough to stay on the team. He never started a preseason game (unless he did last night) and never played with the 'ones' on D. SMC and Jones did and both did pretty good throughout. The fact that Mason was cut before Bostic should tell you something that wasn't obvious.

Still don't know where anyone is getting Foster did well enough to stay on the team. He never started a preseason game (unless he did last night) and never played with the 'ones' on D. SMC and Jones did and both did pretty good throughout. The fact that Mason was cut before Bostic should tell you something that wasn't obvious.

I was shocked at first, but after seeing Timu, Anderson, and Wells play lights out, I could see them easily letting Foster and Bostic go to make room for at least two of them.

I find Foster getting cut surprising and I didn't think he played that poorly. Certainly didn't see where he got pushed down to 3rd string. I'm guessing the coaches are going with the upside of the young guys like Timu who's performance kept getting better each week. Plus at least Timu has been in on a few good kick coverage plays so that had to help his case.

There is the money factor as well as this frees up cap space that could allow us to sign a vet Oline or safety that gets cut for salary cap reasons. That could be even more prevalent if the Bears were trying to trade for someone because their existing contract carries over.