Packers Game Thoughts

AZ54

This was a great win for us, one that the team can really build upon.

Offense moved the ball well at times but penalties killed us too often. Despite all the negative plays Cutler kept his focus an stayed within the game plan. Same goes for Gase who didn't fall into the trap of abandoning the run despite the Packers focus on stopping it.

Cutler: People will find better numbers but given the circumstances of missing Royal and Bennett, being on the road on a holiday game, short week, and horrible weather, it is hard to think of a better game Cutler has played for us. Bennett's absence especially had me worried because he's such a big part of our protection scheme. Early in the game Cutler had trouble finding either time to throw or open receivers to throw to but he played smart and just threw the ball away instead of forcing it. Throughout the game he had the team lined up early enough to make a lot of adjustments before the snap, credit Gase too on this one.

Oline: Inconsistent overall. Grasu was back but there were a lot of missed assignments, missed blocks, and penalties. Long didn't play his best. Despite that when they got it right there was plenty of time to throw and there enough holes for the RBs to make the run game effective enough. I'd like to see what these 5 starters can do after spending a few games together.

WRs: Alshon once again makes a huge difference for the offense despite being the only receiver they had to worry about. Wilson played with the most confidence I've seen, taking a lot of short screens and running hard for good gains. Packers seemed to forget about Mariani (how else to explain him being so wide open) and Cutler found him open for a few plays to keep drives alive. Getting Royal back as our slot receiver will help this offense.

TEs: I hoped we'd see more from Zach Miller in the passing game.

RBs: Nothing special at all from either RB but they held onto the football.

Dline: First drive wasn't pretty but after that they battled all night long and were very effective on some of the short 3rd/4th down plays GB had. It appeared their main effort on pass rush was keeping Rodgers contained and for the most part they did.

OLB: Houston continues to get better with 7 tackles and 1 sack. McPhee hasn't been as effective in pass rush since his knee injury but I think his leadership at the LOS before the snap plays a big part in how effective the defensive front is. Willie Young didn't get a ton of pressure he did well in closing the pocket around Rodgers and keeping him uncomfortable.

ILBs: Still late to the ball too often and while they are effective enough they don't provide the occasional big plays that are needed. I thought it was Anderson out there early and then Jones came in later. Seems the coaches are still searching for an answer at this spot.

DBs: I think these guys were the stars of the game for us. Rodgers only threw for 202 yards, just over 50% complete, and many of the completions were challenged throws. Given the time he had in the pocket the DBs were often covering players for 4 or 5 seconds. Porter garnered most of the attention but Fuller and Callahan played well too. We have a good player in Callahan. The safeties, with Prosinski out there again, were solid. Amos was all over the field even in run support and finished with 8 tackles and 1 assist. Prosinski had 6 tackles and looked much more comfortable out there this game.

Fangio continues to shine and on a short week had this group well prepared for everything except perhaps the weather (which I think played a role in the missed early tackles). While we nitpick and see the gaps in talent his group gave up just 13pts on the road which is a phenomenal effort against GB.

On the other side of the ball you hear the Packers fans whine that the offense isn't the same without Jordy Nelson and if... blah blah blah. Our coaches lined up our offense with a backup LT, backup C, backup RG, backup TE, backup slot slot WR, and we're still missing Kevin White, and they got it done with Jay Cutler at QB.

It's been a long time since I said this but we clearly out-coached the Packers yesterday.

Officiating was horribly one-sided. Lot's of missed holding penalties and some phantom calls that went against us on big plays.

Agreed on everything you said defensively. Our DB's were excellent! On offense, our C and LT were bloody awful. Jeremy Langford is going to make any loss of Forte less painful. I noticed them having similar runs with a difference in the finish. Langford consistently finished his runs a yard better after contact. Cutler was fantastic. And so was Marc Mariani. I hope it ends all the cut him talk. Hate our punter. Love the coaching staff.

Yeah this was a signature win for the Bears, the new staff, and Cutler. Huge win and I would've loved to have been in that locker room right after the game. Hopefully this boosts their confidence because there really isn't another game on the schedule like this one. SF, WAS, MIN, TB, DET all seem like winnable games compared to this one.

Cutler: I don't know what else this guy has to do to prove he truly has turned the corner. To win in Lambeau, and not have a single turnover speaks volumes to how far he has come. If you consider that the conditions were crappy, it was Brett Favre night, and he was playing without Bennett who has been his most reliable target to date, his performance was outstanding. He was inches from having 2 Passing TDs which would've boosted his QB Rating, and even without it, he still had a QB Rating of 90.8. He checked a bunch of plays at the line and seemed very confident in the game plan. You can tell he is in complete command of this offense.

Oline: For how good Cutler played, you would've thought the O-Line played great, but they didn't. Too many penalties and pressure. They did not do well with blitzes and even missed simple blocks in the run game (which was odd). The fact that the O-Line didn't play well even further supports how good Cutler was last night.

WRs: Alshon is a beast, but you can tell he still is not 100%. Mariani and Wilson were visible and made some big first downs, which is about all you can ask for from 4th and 5th WRs. Mariani seems better as a backup WR than a returner. Again, it will be awesome to see Alshon lining up across from White and Royal in the slot (someday).

TEs: With Bennett out, Miller and Lee were the primary guys. Miller was targeted 7 times, but only caught 2 balls. The conditions didn't help on a few, but we need more consistent play out of the TE position. I was thinking Miller would have a huge game, especially when GB was applying extra pressure, but Miller never seemed to be the hot route.

RBs: Carries were basically split, but Langford is clearly the better runner. Langford had another huge drop and he really needs to work on his pass catching in space (it seems like he is running before catching the ball). It was interesting to see Langford get twice as many touches down the stretch than Forte with the game on the line. No fumbles, which was huge in this game. I can see split duties for the rest of the season and unless Forte takes a significant pay cut, I think he is gone.

Dline: I would like to see more pressure from this group, and some better gap control on runs. There seemed to be huge holes thru the line which allowed blockers and runners to easily get to the 2nd level. I could't tell if this was a D-Line problem or LB problem, but either way it needs to be fixed.

OLB: Houston, Young, and McPhee are all starting to make splash plays, which is great to see. Acho even made a couple of nice plays as well. We need to clean up the offsides and neutral zone penalties. One almost cost us the game.

ILBs: This group disappointed for the most part. Anderson made a couple of plays, but too many screen passes against a 3-4 for big gains. They are either making plays or way out of position. I would rather have a little bit of consistency here. The jury is still out on SMC, he seemed to regress a little bit and looked confused at times covering space where no one was at while RB's and TE's were wide open in the flat.

DBs: As AZ said, by far the best group of the night. Porter, Callahan, Fuller, Amos, and Prosinski all played solid, if not great. Porter got called for a BS illegal contact, but otherwise, was huge in coverage and had the huge 4th quarter INT. I would love to have him back next year. Fuller seems to be gaining his confidence back every week, and Callahan might have had the hardest challenge (Cobb) and besides for a one slip, played solid all game. For Safety, Prosinski had the huge strip on Lacy which seemed to change the momentum of the entire game, and Amos had another strong, consistent game. This group seems to be gaining a lot of confidence, so if we can get some better D-Line and ILB play, this defense will continue to get better.

Special Teams: We allowed another huge kick return (sounds like a broken record), punting started horrible but O'Donnell did put a couple inside the 20 late, and Gould could barely get the kickoffs into the endzone (which is a huge concern) which led to the long return. This whole phase of the game is losing us a ton of field position and taking points of the board. Mariani didn't fumble but did muff a kickoff that Thompson had to down in the end zone. Thompson looked solid on his one KO return.

Coaching: One of the better coached games of the season, and Fox seemed to know when to take points and when to punt better than he did against Denver. Gase got some RZ TD's, but then laid an egg later in the game when a TD would've put the game out of reach. We need to do better when we have x and goal. I didn't like the conservative play calling late as it seemed we barely took any time off the clock and literally gave Rodgers 3 chances to win the game in the 4th quarter. 31 pass and 31 rush is about as good as you can get for balance, which I like to see.

Officiating: The Bears are clearly a marked team. We get almost every call against us. From the Slauson trip, to the Amos DPI, to the Porter illegal contact. The DPI and illegal contact, just like offensive holding can be called on every play. I watched some of the Lacy runs, and they held at the point of attack every time (fist full of jersey) and were rarely called. The league is really putting a bad product on the field in regards to the officiating. This is by far the worst year I have seen for bad calls and the Bears have been on the short end more times than not. Thankfully it didn't cost us the game.

:drink :bears

Amen!

:dabears

Agreed on everything you said defensively. Our DB's were excellent! On offense, our C and LT were bloody awful. Jeremy Langford is going to make any loss of Forte less painful. I noticed them having similar runs with a difference in the finish. Langford consistently finished his runs a yard better after contact. Cutler was fantastic. And so was Marc Mariani. I hope it ends all the cut him talk. Hate our punter. Love the coaching staff.

A little peek into the locker room, post game: https://www.instagram.com/p/-k7smcGqyS/

Good stuff...... This win really has made my year. I really am excited about the future of the Bears. Not to go negative but the better the offense and defense does the more likely Gase and Fangio get HC offers. I see Gase getting a shot sooner than Fangio but that is 100% opinion.

Maybe we will get lucky and have both for one more year.

Tackling was really bad or the game might not have even been that close. I understand that it was rainy, but you got to get those guys down.

Though there weren't many holes, when they were there, Langford hit them and Forte did not. Maybe he's just rusty, but I think this team clearly moves on from Forte.

Tackling was really bad or the game might not have even been that close. I understand that it was rainy, but you got to get those guys down.

Though there weren't many holes, when they were there, Langford hit them and Forte did not. Maybe he's just rusty, but I think this team clearly moves on from Forte.

Langford definitly has more of a burst than Forte, Forte has always been more of a glider tho. Langford does make it easier to not re-sign Forte. Who knows maybe they bring Forte back as well.

Langford does need to work on the drops, that 3rd down drop was terrible. He was wide open and could have easily picked up the first.

Good stuff...... This win really has made my year. I really am excited about the future of the Bears. Not to go negative but the better the offense and defense does the more likely Gase and Fangio get HC offers. I see Gase getting a shot sooner than Fangio but that is 100% opinion.

Maybe we will get lucky and have both for one more year.

It seems like older DC's have stayed in those positions longer than OC's. Dick LeBeau has been one forever, and no one has ever really thought of him as anything other than a DC. So fopefully Vic hangs around. For Gase, I think it will come down to what is available. The Bears just need to pay Gase and Fangio so there is less incentive to leave.

I hate our Special Teams coach and play!

It seems like older DC's have stayed in those positions longer than OC's. Dick LeBeau has been one forever, and no one has ever really thought of him as anything other than a DC. So fopefully Vic hangs around. For Gase, I think it will come down to what is available. The Bears just need to pay Gase and Fangio so there is less incentive to leave.

Is there a salary cap on the coaching staff? If not, that ownership needs to pay these three men to keep the continuity and allow either Gase or Fangio to be the future head coach when Fox eventually retires.

Is there a salary cap on the coaching staff? If not, that ownership needs to pay these three men to keep the continuity and allow either Gase or Fangio to be the future head coach when Fox eventually retires.

Paying them well may help but at the end of the day if the guy wants to be "the man" as in HC money will not stop them from leaving.

One thing it might do is allow the guys to be selective on which job they take. If they are making enough money as it is there is less a reason to take a job like the Browns when if they wait a better job will come along.

Im hoping we get two years out of Gase and 3 or 4 out of Fangio, that would be the best we could prolly hope for.

Paying them well may help but at the end of the day if the guy wants to be "the man" as in HC money will not stop them from leaving.

One thing it might do is allow the guys to be selective on which job they take. If they are making enough money as it is there is less a reason to take a job like the Browns when if they wait a better job will come along.

Im hoping we get two years out of Gase and 3 or 4 out of Fangio, that would be the best we could prolly hope for.

I think a key thing we are missing here is Fox hires great coaches. When in Denver he had Del Rio and McCoy then Gase. I think if we lose them the possibility exists he adds good coaches . McCoy's head coaching job is in jeopardy in SD, so maybe we get him if Gase leaves. I think Fangio may be able to stay around, but I think Gase is gone for no other reason that there is so many jobs available no way someone doesn't steal him.

As far as defense the main great find is Porter at 29 years old. He has a history that he can play good and if he stays healthy, can be a stud. Fuller has looked better probably because he is getting good play around him and it helps him moving forward. Callahan has played well be we need to see more tape for a consistency factor. Amos has the potential to be a future pro bowl type but we need to see more games going forward.

Goldman could be a 10 starter, Jenkins can be a future rotational guy and possibly Gaston.

LBers is where we will need the most help in the draft. If we can draft a stud LB and get another potential starter, our defense could have a bright future.

So as far as the draft goes for the defense we need another DE, a couple of LBers, and another safety we will be on the way to a good defense.

Offensively we need to resign Jeffery, add a couple of OLineman. Anybody know much about Paxton Lynch? He could be a 3rd addition to our future Qb position. I have heard some good things about him.

I think a key thing we are missing here is Fox hires great coaches. When in Denver he had Del Rio and McCoy then Gase. I think if we lose them the possibility exists he adds good coaches . McCoy's head coaching job is in jeopardy in SD, so maybe we get him if Gase leaves. I think Fangio may be able to stay around, but I think Gase is gone for no other reason that there is so many jobs available no way someone doesn't steal him.

As far as defense the main great find is Porter at 29 years old. He has a history that he can play good and if he stays healthy, can be a stud. Fuller has looked better probably because he is getting good play around him and it helps him moving forward. Callahan has played well be we need to see more tape for a consistency factor. Amos has the potential to be a future pro bowl type but we need to see more games going forward.

Goldman could be a 10 starter, Jenkins can be a future rotational guy and possibly Gaston.

LBers is where we will need the most help in the draft. If we can draft a stud LB and get another potential starter, our defense could have a bright future.

So as far as the draft goes for the defense we need another DE, a couple of LBers, and another safety we will be on the way to a good defense.

Offensively we need to resign Jeffery, add a couple of OLineman. Anybody know much about Paxton Lynch? He could be a 3rd addition to our future Qb position. I have heard some good things about him.

I agree with you, Fox has been around long enough to have ties to alot of good coaches. The only reason I worry about losing Gase is because of the effect he has had on Cutler. Cutler finally seems to be putting it all together and would rather get one more year with Cutler and Gase. Hey maybe its more the QB coach and not so much Gase, although I think Gase has game planned well for Cutler and the entire offense.