3-4 DE Free Agents

DABEARSDABOMB

With Von Miller likely getting the franchise tag (and they have to deal with Osweiller or finding another QB), Broncos have some other critical free agents. That includes Brandon Marshall, but they have two quality, young, DE's who will also be hitting the market. Fox has familiarity with both and the Broncos are likely going to have trouble getting it all to work under the cap.

Malik Jackson, DE, Denver Broncos: He turns 26 in January and is another 3-4 defensive end who is adept at putting heat on quarterbacks while capably handling the run. He is getting better and is playing some of the best football of his career the past three games.

Derek Wolfe, DE, Denver Broncos: Like his defensive line teammate and fellow free agent Malik Jackson, Wolfe also turns 26 in a few months. Also like Jackson, he's one of the stronger young 3-4 defensive ends in the league. Unlike Jackson, Wolfe's strength is against the run, while he is still improving as a pass rusher.

With Von Miller likely getting the franchise tag (and they have to deal with Osweiller or finding another QB), Broncos have some other critical free agents. That includes Brandon Marshall, but they have two quality, young, DE's who will also be hitting the market. Fox has familiarity with both and the Broncos are likely going to have trouble getting it all to work under the cap.

Malik Jackson, DE, Denver Broncos: He turns 26 in January and is another 3-4 defensive end who is adept at putting heat on quarterbacks while capably handling the run. He is getting better and is playing some of the best football of his career the past three games.

Derek Wolfe, DE, Denver Broncos: Like his defensive line teammate and fellow free agent Malik Jackson, Wolfe also turns 26 in a few months. Also like Jackson, he's one of the stronger young 3-4 defensive ends in the league. Unlike Jackson, Wolfe's strength is against the run, while he is still improving as a pass rusher.

Good idea for a thread, and I like your thought process.

Out of the two, I'd rather have Wolfe. Neither excite me, however.

Here is a list of most of the 3-4 DE's who will be UFA's after this season:

Stephen Bowen, Jets (32)

Red Bryant, Cardinals (32)

Jared Crick, Texans (27)

Vinny Curry, Eagles (28)

Mike DeVito, Chiefs (32)

Leger Douzable, Jets (30)

Clifton Geathers, Steelers (29)

Malik Jackson, Broncos (26)

Jarvis Jenkins, Bears (28)

Frank Kearse, Redskins (28)

Ricardo Mathews, Chargers (29)

Kendall Reyes, Chargers (27)

Antonio Smith, Broncos (35)

Damion Square (27)

Cam Thomas, Steelers (30)

Cedric Thornton, Eagles (28)

Muhammad Wilkerson, Jets (27)

Derek Wolfe, Broncos (26)

I highlighted the two mentioned and Jenkins.

Other than Wilkerson, that's a fairly ugly list.

The more times this is brought up, the less I am convinced about the proper way to approach next season? Maybe 3-4DE in the first is the right route? Then again, the UFA ILBs aren't pretty either.

Throw the bank at Wilkerson and see if he bites?

Here is a list of most of the 3-4 DE's who will be UFA's after this season:

Stephen Bowen, Jets (32)

Red Bryant, Cardinals (32)

Jared Crick, Texans (27)

Vinny Curry, Eagles (28)

Mike DeVito, Chiefs (32)

Leger Douzable, Jets (30)

Clifton Geathers, Steelers (29)

Malik Jackson, Broncos (26)

Jarvis Jenkins, Bears (28)

Frank Kearse, Redskins (28)

Ricardo Mathews, Chargers (29)

Kendall Reyes, Chargers (27)

Antonio Smith, Broncos (35)

Damion Square (27)

Cam Thomas, Steelers (30)

Cedric Thornton, Eagles (28)

Muhammad Wilkerson, Jets (27)

Derek Wolfe, Broncos (26)

I highlighted the two mentioned and Jenkins.

Of this group Wilkerson is really the only 'legitimate' prized FA. Beyond that I'd focus on a player like the 'other' Marshall and secure him for ILB. We need someone good and a veteran to solidify that middle.

Jenkins, I think, is serviceable and at least worthy of one more year.

I still like my idea of moving Goldman out and grabbing Damon Harrison. I loves me some Snacks.

You might be onto something here.

http://nep.247sports.com/Bolt/Jets-Damon-H...nt-for-42237685

You don't get many words out of Belichick when discussing any player but he had a lot to say about Harrison. He'd be much cheaper than Wilkerson (and for sure he'll be available). Park him in the middle on run downs, move Goldman out to the DE position, and then backfill the other side with whoever wins out among Jenkins (I think we should re-sign him), Sutton, Ferguson, Unrein.

We still need a pass rusher at DE and I think we're hoping Washington fills that role. They seemed to want to keep him around despite his injury instead of doing an injury settlement. He'll have had a year to settle into his new playing weight and the new role. We'll see what he can do in camp. Toss in a mid-round draft pick if they want or even a guy like Wolfe or Malik Jackson and move on from Jenkins. Plenty of cheap options here. Somewhere out of that we should have a pretty good group centered around Goldman and Harrison.

Take some of that money we'd spend on Wilkerson and use it on Eric Berry if he's healthy. Berry paired with Amos would be our best safety combo in a long time.

I'm still focused on fixing ILB in Rd 1, along with signing Trevathan. Keep Timu (if he continues his progress), and if they want bring SMC back as depth to compete while the rookie settles in.

Rd 2 and 3 can then go to finding Oline and pass rush help at OLB.

...and we'd still have a lot of cap space.

You might be onto something here.

http://nep.247sports.com/Bolt/Jets-Damon-H...nt-for-42237685

You don't get many words out of Belichick when discussing any player but he had a lot to say about Harrison. He'd be much cheaper than Wilkerson (and for sure he'll be available). Park him in the middle on run downs, move Goldman out to the DE position, and then backfill the other side with whoever wins out among Jenkins (I think we should re-sign him), Sutton,

Good ol Bill is an evil genius. Comments like that will drive his price up making it hard for the Jets to resign him. Way to punk your division rival without spending a dime...

Jets have $14mil in cap space this offseason but that is with losing QB Fitzpatrick, DE Wilkerson, OLB Pace, DT Harrison, RB Ivory, RB Powell and a bunch of other players.

http://overthecap.com/free-agency

They'll have to make some tough decisions and I can't see them letting go of Fitzpatrick after he's led them into playoff contention. If anything they'll have to pay him more than this year's $3.6mil. I don't remember how using the franchise tag affects salary cap space in the offseason but I have to think tagging Wilkerson will be challenging for them.

Jets have $14mil in cap space this offseason but that is with losing QB Fitzpatrick, DE Wilkerson, OLB Pace, DT Harrison, RB Ivory, RB Powell and a bunch of other players.

http://overthecap.com/free-agency

They'll have to make some tough decisions and I can't see them letting go of Fitzpatrick after he's led them into playoff contention. If anything they'll have to pay him more than this year's $3.6mil. I don't remember how using the franchise tag affects salary cap space in the offseason but I have to think tagging Wilkerson will be challenging for them.

SCS pointed out a reasoning earlier how they intend to tag/keep Wilkerson. I take his words for granted as he has more hits than misses. If Wilkerson does hit the market, the Bears better be front runners. If they can sign him, draft a ILB like Ragland who is heating up draft boards or an OT like Stanley or Decker, round one would be solid.. Build strong in the trenches and every one behind gets more time to succeed.

SCS pointed out a reasoning earlier how they intend to tag/keep Wilkerson. I take his words for granted as he has more hits than misses. If Wilkerson does hit the market, the Bears better be front runners. If they can sign him, draft a ILB like Ragland who is heating up draft boards or an OT like Stanley or Decker, round one would be solid.. Build strong in the trenches and every one behind gets more time to succeed.

If the Jets want any hope of getting a deal done with Wilkerson they pretty much have to come out and say this in advance. It let's him know they are serious about a long term deal and (more likely) let's other team's know they are wasting their time pursuing him. We know they don't have a franchise QB, they hired Todd Bowles, they drafted Leonard Williams, so it seems clear they have every intention of winning through their defense. Doesn't mean it will happen but keeping him around has to be on their wish list.

This is what I read on Wilkerson/Harrison.

ESPN's Rich Cimini said to "bet on" the Jets using the franchise tag on RE Muhammad Wilkerson this offseason.

Of course, this assumes the two sides cannot reach a long-term extension, but there have been no indications a deal is in the cards. NT Damon Harrison is also a free agent this offseason, and the Jets already have a lot of money invested in Sheldon Richardson and rookie Leonard Williams. It is unlikely New York can keep all four. Nov 21 - 10:31 AM

Just read this as well.

The New York News' Manish Mehta believes the Jets will "almost certainly" use the franchise tag on contract-year RE Muhammad Wilkerson.

The two sides went through some contract squabbles last offseason with Wilkerson heading into the final year of his rookie deal. A long-term deal was discussed, but ultimately wasn't agreed upon before talks were broken off when Week 1 rolled around. Wilkerson, 26, has answered with another borderline-All Pro season. He's second among 3-4 ends in sacks, 1.5 behind J.J. Watt, and is first in the NFL in sack yards. Wilkerson has also continued to be top-notch against the run. GM Mike Maccagnan will likely tag Wilkerson, try to work out a long-term contract, and if one isn't reached, he can try and trade him or let him play on the one-year deal.

The bold is an interesting talking point. For a top 10 defensive player it's gonna take a lot. How high would you go? Would you give up a 1st+? Seeing as he's still pretty young and upgrades the team big time, I might consider that if there are no other 1st/2nd/3rdround picks being talked about.

I still like my idea of moving Goldman out and grabbing Damon Harrison. I loves me some Snacks.

I don't like the idea. Dude is 6'4", 320lbs. That is not a 5T DE in a 3-4, regardless if he lined up there in college. He is not nearly explosive enough, doesn't have the bend to dip the shoulder and get the edge, rushes on power and not agility. If he were to move outside in a 3-4 in the NFL, he'd be purely an edge-setter who destroys the run.

Aside from that, he's done damn well as a rookie NT. Haven't we learned enough from Kyle Long position change experiment?

I don't like the idea. Dude is 6'4", 320lbs. That is not a 5T DE in a 3-4, regardless if he lined up there in college. He is not nearly explosive enough, doesn't have the bend to dip the shoulder and get the edge, rushes on power and not agility. If he were to move outside in a 3-4 in the NFL, he'd be purely an edge-setter who destroys the run.

Aside from that, he's done damn well as a rookie NT. Haven't we learned enough from Kyle Long position change experiment?

I agree, fill the spots we need help in , instead of trying to make players fit somewhere else.