Forte says he's leaving (on Facebook)

Connorbear

It's a mistake to forego the negotiation as if some moderate middle ground can't be reached. That is absolutely the first step towards everything in negotiation. It's not debatable. If you go to the table you never know what the other person is willing to offer. If their offer is too steep, then you pass. But you must try to see if you can get great value. That's negotiation 101.

Injuries can't be helped. But if Langford + Carey fall off, then you'll certainly hear "I told you so" from me. Negotiate first, then tell him you can't do it. Unless you negotiate, you don't know what the other side is willing to concede.

Like in other threads, the Bears are not in a win now situation. I hate it everytime the Bears let a Bear go that can still play, Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, and now Briggs in recent years. If they expected to win this year they would have offered him a contract, as he basically is and has been the Bears offense since he has been there. I hate to see him go too.

Like in other threads, the Bears are not in a win now situation. I hate it everytime the Bears let a Bear go that can still play, Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, and now Briggs in recent years. If they expected to win this year they would have offered him a contract, as he basically is and has been the Bears offense since he has been there. I hate to see him go too.

Urlacher and Briggs did not sign with any other team. Clearly, the other 29 teams in the NFL believed they could not play anymore.

Peac :dabears

I would say the lack of an offer has to be tied to a couple of things:

1. They didn't want to disrespect him with a low-ball offer (less money or shorter length), knowing he would command more on the open market. Just because the Bears didn't make an offer doesn't mean Forte's agent didn't throw some numbers at the Bears.

2. Pace knows the Bears are still a year or two away, so there is no point bringing him back if he is not a long term solution. It also gives Forte a shot at a SB (like Peanut and Allen).

3. They project Forte to drop off further or faster than expected and are in the camp of cutting sling earlier than later.

4. Pace is eyeing Ezekiel Elliott in the draft or a FA RB that is younger.

5. Pace has no clue what he is doing and we will be a dumpster fire until he is fired.

If you look at he Saints presently, I think there is a solid chance it could be 5. However, I think there could be a debate on how much power he has. He says he has absolute power, but made the Marshall move everyone said the owners pushed through. In this situation, it may be ok he doesnt have absolute power due to how the Saints look and hopefully Fox and company can add some better insite on who to take and build the team.

Urlacher and Briggs did not sign with any other team. Clearly, the other 29 teams in the NFL believed they could not play anymore.

Peac :dabears

Or they made enough in their career to retire. I have no doubt that Urlacher could still play, because he played well his last year injured. I think he and Briggs didn't want to move on and play some where else. They had enough money.

With Urlacher, I think he was insulted by the Bears offer, had ones better but just retired. Briggs, I think he may have been like a Woodson that light things up in a different environment that motivated him and said screw it I will retire.

I think Forte will get his most repect by national media this year, once he lights up the league once again, but does it on another team, he will be one of the biggest stories in the league.

Or they made enough in their career to retire. I have no doubt that Urlacher could still play, because he played well his last year injured. I think he and Briggs didn't want to move on and play some where else. They had enough money.

With Urlacher, I think he was insulted by the Bears offer, had ones better but just retired. Briggs, I think he may have been like a Woodson that light things up in a different environment that motivated him and said screw it I will retire.

I think Forte will get his most repect by national media this year, once he lights up the league once again, but does it on another team, he will be one of the biggest stories in the league.

I want to say that Urlacher hinted at retiring either at the end previous to or the same year he was released. Agreed that I think if the Bears offered him something he thought reasonable he'd have stuck around. Dallas was sniffing him out but never materialized for what ever reason. There's no doubt many thought Url got screwed. Otherwise they (Fox and Pace) wouldn't have made a point to make Urlacher feel welcome back at Halas Hall last season.

Briggs was already distracted and really didn't care mostly because his restaurant biz in AZ was calling his name. I think you're right that he was ready to go the year he was let go. Don't think he even tried to get on anywhere.

I hear lots of speculation Matt will end up with NE which I could see happening. He'll help Tom try and get one or two more trophies before they both retire.

I want to say that Urlacher hinted at retiring either at the end previous to or the same year he was released. Agreed that I think if the Bears offered him something he thought reasonable he'd have stuck around. Dallas was sniffing him out but never materialized for what ever reason. There's no doubt many thought Url got screwed. Otherwise they (Fox and Pace) wouldn't have made a point to make Urlacher feel welcome back at Halas Hall last season.

Briggs was already distracted and really didn't care mostly because his restaurant biz in AZ was calling his name. I think you're right that he was ready to go the year he was let go. Don't think he even tried to get on anywhere.

I hear lots of speculation Matt will end up with NE which I could see happening. He'll help Tom try and get one or two more trophies before they both retire.

I don't think he fits NE main RB preference, but he will excel in the 3rd down guy. He could really blow it up if they use him in the wes welker role in the short pass game as the escape man. I fear GB picking him up. Who else needs a reliable RB and someone to mentor Lacy who is in the wonka factory.

I don't think he fits NE main RB preference, but he will excel in the 3rd down guy. He could really blow it up if they use him in the wes welker role in the short pass game as the escape man. I fear GB picking him up. Who else needs a reliable RB and someone to mentor Lacy who is in the wonka factory.

GB move would suck. I couldn't imagine if they had Eddie Lacy working out with Forte in the off season.

First, total respect and props to Forte for all he has done as a Bear. At the end of the day he earns the best compliment: He did everything the right way. He will be missed.

I understand the emotions of the loss and calling this a mistake but comparing stats makes little sense. It doesn't take into account the growth of the Langford throughout the season, and later Carey. While I agree Forte was our best RB last year that does not make him our best RB next year.

It is correct that we did not negotiate with Forte but I think it's a bit simplistic to say we didn't talk at all. Pace has a good feel for what's going on around the league and between some conversations with Forte's agent and feedback from around the league on what his value is likely to be I think he has a good idea of what contract Forte will command. We can't "know" this but it's easy to surmise. If the team was set on not re-signing Forte from the end of last season they'd have made this decision long ago. In fact, they could have made it clear at the last home game. They didn't. Pace waited until he had time to put his plan together for both FA and, to a lesser extent, the draft. He looked at the pro's and con's of keeping Forte at the price he is likely to command, even if there was a home town discount, and feels that we'll be better off moving in another direction.

It is quite likely Forte will get at least a 3 year deal worth at $5mil/yr with half or more guaranteed. I won't be surprised if he gets quite a bit more than that considering teams like the Jaguars have $$$ and big need. They could want a solid vet to come in and anchor that spot beside their young QB while their next drafted RB learns the ropes.

At some point Pace has to weigh the balance of who else he can sign with that money. I'm excited to see this news because I think it indicates we're going to be bigger player in FA than Pace indicated. If he wants an extra $4mil available it's for a reason. He's likely got several options (since you don't know which one will sign) that he views as all being better than re-signing Forte. Therefore he just bids adieu to a class act in Forte instead of leading him on.

If this nets us Osemele at RG next to Long at RT then I'm a very happy camper. I'm sure Langford and Carey will be happy too.

If you look at he Saints presently, I think there is a solid chance it could be 5. However, I think there could be a debate on how much power he has. He says he has absolute power, but made the Marshall move everyone said the owners pushed through. In this situation, it may be ok he doesnt have absolute power due to how the Saints look and hopefully Fox and company can add some better insite on who to take and build the team.

Emery had no clue how to run a Franchise. I wouldn't put Pace in the same boat as him yet. Under Emery and Trestman Ratliff acted like an asshole and was made a captain for that weeks game. Under Pace and Fox he gets smoked the same day. How much was it Fox or Pace we will never know. As long as the everyone above Pace has zero say Im happy. If its a team effort of Fox and Pace Im all good. If Pace does have total control and Fox has to deal with the moves Pace makes I still ok with it just as long as Ted Phillips and George keep quiet.

I love Elliott , cant wait to see his combine numbers. He ran all over Bama and he left some of those guys in the dust. With the amount of holes in this roster I would rather sign Forte and fill other holes this year. But hey you may right Pace may see Elliott as the next IT RB.

If that happens, Pace doesn't know what the hell he is doing. When a team has multiple missing pieces, you don't replace a great working piece for a potentially worse piece. You fix what's broken and try to keep the great working piece as long as it remains good.

First it was Marshall, which was followed by drafting a WR. That was a mistake considering how well BM did and White not even seeing the field. This could potentially be the same type of move, just different position. Let's hope he's not planning this thought. If Forte is gone, Langford should be the main man, due for huge carries, 1000+yds, and 10TDs.

I don't think this is tied specifically to the Bears or Forte, it is the NFL as a whole.

I took a look at the amount of 1,000 yard rushers per season over the past 10 years and I thought the numbers were shocking:

2015 - 7x 1,000 yard rushers with only 3 over 1,100

2014 -13x 1,000 yard rushers with 9 over 1,100

2013 -13x 1,000 yard rushers with 10 over 1,100

2012 -16x 1,000 yard rushers with 11 over 1,100

2011 -15x 1,000 yard rushers with 9 over 1,100

2010 -17x 1,000 yard rushers with 13 over 1,100

2009 -15x 1,000 yard rushers with 14 over 1,100

2008 -16x 1,000 yard rushers with 10 over 1,100

2007 -17x 1,000 yard rushers with 13 over 1,100

2006 -23x 1,000 yard rushers with 16 over 1,100

So in one season, we basically loss half of our 1,000 yard rushers and 2/3 of our elite rushers. What is crazy is the drop off from 2006 until now. In a 10 year span, we lost 16x 1,000 yard rushers and 13 of them that had over 1,100.

If that doesn't show the devaluation of the RB position, I don't know what does.

Now when you compare that to contracts, you can see it there as well. There were 8x RB's with an average annual contract over $7mil (Forte was #7), none between $5-$7mil, and all other RB's below $4.2mil per year. That is insane. There are 13x TE's that average more than $7mil a year.

I don't think this is tied specifically to the Bears or Forte, it is the NFL as a whole.

I took a look at the amount of 1,000 yard rushers per season over the past 10 years and I thought the numbers were shocking:

2015 - 7x 1,000 yard rushers with only 3 over 1,100

2014 -13x 1,000 yard rushers with 9 over 1,100

2013 -13x 1,000 yard rushers with 10 over 1,100

2012 -16x 1,000 yard rushers with 11 over 1,100

2011 -15x 1,000 yard rushers with 9 over 1,100

2010 -17x 1,000 yard rushers with 13 over 1,100

2009 -15x 1,000 yard rushers with 14 over 1,100

2008 -16x 1,000 yard rushers with 10 over 1,100

2007 -17x 1,000 yard rushers with 13 over 1,100

2006 -23x 1,000 yard rushers with 16 over 1,100

So in one season, we basically loss half of our 1,000 yard rushers and 2/3 of our elite rushers. What is crazy is the drop off from 2006 until now. In a 10 year span, we lost 16x 1,000 yard rushers and 13 of them that had over 1,100.

If that doesn't show the devaluation of the RB position, I don't know what does.

Now when you compare that to contracts, you can see it there as well. There were 8x RB's with an average annual contract over $7mil (Forte was #7), none between $5-$7mil, and all other RB's below $4.2mil per year. That is insane. There are 13x TE's that average more than $7mil a year.

And, personally, I think it's an ignorant trend. The fact that guys like Zach freaking Miller have the balls to ask for $5M a year when he has played one full year without injury, and even at that the jury is still out on his ability to produce consistently, is absolutely ridiculous. Meanwhile, RBs like Forte are a rare commodity. A guy who can proficiently run inside, outside, cut-back, pass-block, and receive out of the backfield are not common. A guy like Forte gets as many targets as the average TE, catches at a higher percentage, and on top of all that, he runs the ball.

If the Bears give Miller $4-$5M a year for a 2-3 year deal, and Forte ends up signing with some other team for a comparable amount/length, I'm going to be pissed.

And, personally, I think it's an ignorant trend. The fact that guys like Zach freaking Miller have the balls to ask for $5M a year when he has played one full year without injury, and even at that the jury is still out on his ability to produce consistently, is absolutely ridiculous. Meanwhile, RBs like Forte are a rare commodity. A guy who can proficiently run inside, outside, cut-back, pass-block, and receive out of the backfield are not common. A guy like Forte gets as many targets as the average TE, catches at a higher percentage, and on top of all that, he runs the ball.

If the Bears give Miller $4-$5M a year for a 2-3 year deal, and Forte ends up signing with some other team for a comparable amount/length, I'm going to be pissed.

Yeah, if Forte gets $4mil and we sign Miller for a similar amount (who will likely have a fraction of the touches), I will be pissed as well.