Ryan Pace

adam

Pace is on fire this offseason. It is hard to think of another team that has literally addressed a major need with a solid to great player without breaking the bank with every acquisition or signing. Just look at some of the other contracts handed out.

If we can now add some depth in the secondary, I think we are set going into the draft. Maybe Robinson and Bruton, and re-sign Miller. Do we really have a strong need at any other positions?

To play devil's advocate, there really isn't a position that is one or two positions of need this offseason, as basically every position is in need. There's really not a high impact player signed(not that there was one to be had).

I like the signings in general and we will see how it works out.

For the team next year, I see it as a loss still for this year, but something to be happy about. We lost Forte(top 5 RB still), going to lose Bennet ( top 3 TE still), and lost Bushrod that is better than his replacement. We have gained ILB's (not "that important") a questionable T in the passing game, and Hicks a rotational player on a good line.

The defense got better, the offense got worse. The best player on the team left. I don't see much improvement in the short term, once again, playing devil's advocate.

Thats not playing devils advocate. Thats some serious "someone pissed p'd in your cereal" stuff there. Every posotion has been an upgrade. Bushrod cant stay healthy, Bennet is just a cancer and Forte as much as i loved him, could get the same production at alot less than than his price. Rome wasnt built overnight, but this has been an excellent offseason

To play devil's advocate, there really isn't a position that is one or two positions of need this offseason, as basically every position is in need. There's really not a high impact player signed(not that there was one to be had).

I like the signings in general and we will see how it works out.

For the team next year, I see it as a loss still for this year, but something to be happy about. We lost Forte(top 5 RB still), going to lose Bennet ( top 3 TE still), and lost Bushrod that is better than his replacement. We have gained ILB's (not "that important") a questionable T in the passing game, and Hicks a rotational player on a good line.

The defense got better, the offense got worse. The best player on the team left. I don't see much improvement in the short term, once again, playing devil's advocate.

I hate to say it, but I don't think Forte is a top 5 back anymore. Last 2 years he's averaged 4.0 YPC. This past year 4.0 yards ypc is good for 34th in the league.

Bushrod is not any good either. I still remember a stat from the 2014 season saying Bushrod and Mills were 2 of the 3 worst tackles in the league.

Bennett is a hit(though it's been pretty quiet on his front), but assuming Miller is back and if he can stay healthy, it may be a wash.

Don't sleep on Kevin White coming in and making an impact either. For what we potentially lost going from Bennett to Miller or whoever, we also gained that much more in whoever you wanna call the #2 WR last year to White.

Plus, from what I read about the place Alshon is working out at, I really think he has a healthy season barring some type of injury that is out of his control.

......Not sure what is up with your comments on ILBs not being "That important".

Hicks is also more than capable of being more than just a rotational player.

Thats not playing devils advocate. Thats some serious "someone pissed p'd in your cereal" stuff there. Every posotion has been an upgrade. Bushrod cant stay healthy, Bennet is just a cancer and Forte as much as i loved him, could get the same production at alot less than the price. Rome want built overnight, but this has been an excellent offseason

I'm not a fan of Pace, but it's a serious devil's advocate from me. I think that signing good young players will be good for the future is a lot better than last year. That's why I limited it to now, instead of the future. The future, Forte will be gone, and I am a huge fan of Langford. Bennett is Better than anything we have or will have. It's just more stupid bs like Marshall. I agree with your rome comment. That was why I was playing devil's advocate on the now. I know this team is rebuilding, others say they can compete now and said it prior to free agency.

I hate to say it, but I don't think Forte is a top 5 back anymore. Last 2 years he's averaged 4.0 YPC. This past year 4.0 yards ypc is good for 34th in the league.

Bushrod is not any good either. I still remember a stat from the 2014 season saying Bushrod and Mills were 2 of the 3 worst tackles in the league.

Bennett is a hit(though it's been pretty quiet on his front), but assuming Miller is back and if he can stay healthy, it may be a wash.

Don't sleep on Kevin White coming in and making an impact either. For what we potentially lost going from Bennett to Miller or whoever, we also gained that much more in whoever you wanna call the #2 WR last year to White.

Plus, from what I read about the place Alshon is working out at, I really think he has a healthy season barring some type of injury that is out of his control.

......Not sure what is up with your comments on ILBs not being "That important".

Forte broke the record for receptions in a season that Cutler lead the league in turn overs 2 years ago. You really can't go by YPA with him because he contributes so much more. Especially this past year when Fox wanted to run more. Cutler was limited on what he could do and the running game suffered, had injuries to the line that is directly dependant on a RB's production in the running game and so on.

Bennett is the same, you can't judge by his production on the field. He's a complete TE and contributes a lot through his blocking. I hope Miller can step it up and be there, but we will see.

Bushrod we disagree on, maybe it's because his name makes me laugh.

I'm not sleeping on white, I hope he can step up and be great. I didn't like the pick when it happened few a reasons independent of Marshall. I didn't like the pick because we lost Marshall and the pick was reactive to that. And the devastating injury he had, I think could take away from the things that made him an effective WR in college.

That's not devil's advocate, just my opinion.

Forte broke the record for receptions in a season that Cutler lead the league in turn overs 2 years ago. You really can't go by YPA with him because he contributes so much more. Especially this past year when Fox wanted to run more. Cutler was limited on what he could do and the running game suffered, had injuries to the line that is directly dependant on a RB's production in the running game and so on.

Bennett is the same, you can't judge by his production on the field. He's a complete TE and contributes a lot through his blocking. I hope Miller can step it up and be there, but we will see.

I'm not sleeping on white, I hope he can step up and be great. I didn't like the pick when it happened few a reasons independent of Marshall. I didn't like the pick because we lost Marshall. And the devastating injury he had, I think could take away from the things that made him an effective WR in college.

Agreed on Forte. YPA is an insufficient measurement of his abilities and contributions. And even with just that number, he did better than Langford or Carey. Tough to run when everyone knows the receivers are mostly injured or garbage.

Agreed on Forte. YPA is an insufficient measurement of his abilities and contributions. And even with just that number, he did better than Langford or Carey. Tough to run when everyone knows the receivers are mostly injured or garbage.

He reminds me of Peyton in how he prepares every year. He always protects himself, and the team has some what by getting other RB's for the harder yards.

I could see him going another 4 years and being effective like Fred Jackson. I wouldn't have wanted to see the team lean on that, but I could see him pushing out another year or 2 of very high production. He's a really underapreciated Bear. While the RB position has been devalued, he stands out evey year, and stands out among the best in the league every year. Hall of Famer in my opinion still in his prime.

He reminds me of Peyton in how he prepares every year. He always protects himself, and the team has some what by getting other RB's for the harder yards.

I could see him going another 4 years and being effective like Fred Jackson. I wouldn't have wanted to see the team lean on that, but I could see him pushing out another year or 2 of very high production. He's a really underapreciated Bear. While the RB position has been devalued, he stands out evey year, and stands out among the best in the league every year. Hall of Famer in my opinion still in his prime.

And oddly enough he went to a pretty decent team in the Jets. They played tough last year and are on the edge of making a run. I think they need Fitz back to make it work..odd as that sounds. Agree he'll probably last a few years longer than most think.

I'm not sleeping on white, I hope he can step up and be great. I didn't like the pick when it happened few a reasons independent of Marshall. I didn't like the pick because we lost Marshall and the pick was reactive to that. And the devastating injury he had, I think could take away from the things that made him an effective WR in college.

With football, the past is a measuring stick for future play but odds are not in Fortes favor going forward. History always repeats itself. I think he slowly tappers on, this next year he will be ok, but not what he use to be. You get rid of people one year before not one year after and that is the nature of the NFL. This is building for 2 to 3 years from now, not this year. Realism has to be part of the plan. Who will be relevant in 2 or 3 years from now? Forte would not have been.

Bennett is a hit, but keeping him and having him hold out would not do this team any favors and he will hold out if retained. All that does it build a bigger wall going forward. Fox wants team players here and Bennett is on his own plane.

Bushrod was no longer contributing. I think Massie is the same type of player that is healthy. An average vet that has some game. The difference is he is in his prime, not on the tail end of a career.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

According to this we had almost $30mil in cap space after signing Trevathan and Massie, plus a few of our others like McMannis who it appears got around $500k in bonuses in his deal. I don't see Unrein nor Mariani in there yet. Figure a couple million off the top for those deals and we have $28mil left.

From there we likely have a hit of $3mil for Freeman and Hicks, on a WAG, maybe $3-4mil.

If correct that will leave us with $21mil. Take away the $9mil needed for rookie pool and Pace still has $10-12mil to spend.

Our primary targets now move to Zach Miller and possibly Bruton but those are both likely $1-2mil/yr deals. Considering what we gave McManis as special teams ace I'm not sure we'll still be after Bruton but it's entirely possible if they liked his play at SS. If they choose, there is room for another big signing up to $5mil/yr, or Pace has plenty of room to fill out the depth chart with several veterans. Reportedly that $5mil is around the value we offered CJ Anderson.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/available/

I don't like the Forte decision considering they wanted to pony up money for CJ Anderson, but otherwise I'm a pretty big fan of Pace. He's going after high-upside B-level guys who have potential to be A-level guys. That's how you build a financially sound team that contends for a long time. All he has to do is hit on some draft picks like he did last year, and the Bears are a much, much better team.

I don't like the Forte decision considering they wanted to pony up money for CJ Anderson, but otherwise I'm a pretty big fan of Pace. He's going after high-upside B-level guys who have potential to be A-level guys. That's how you build a financially sound team that contends for a long time. All he has to do is hit on some draft picks like he did last year, and the Bears are a much, much better team.

I agree with Forte, I would have liked to seen him brought back for 2 more years. He should be serviceable for 2 years while giving Langford and Carey some touches as well. The only thing that makes sense is that the Bears wanted to get younger. This has to be an age issue or else they wouldn't have offered Anderson as much as they did. This makes he think the Bears will look to add a RB in the draft. As far as the rest of what Pace has done, I love it. They had a ton of cap space and they were smart about it. They have set themselves up really well for the draft. They can go any route they want. Hey, maybe the Bears guy will drop to them, the draft can be a crazy thing. If not they could always trade back.

I agree with Forte, I would have liked to seen him brought back for 2 more years. He should be serviceable for 2 years while giving Langford and Carey some touches as well. The only thing that makes sense is that the Bears wanted to get younger. This has to be an age issue or else they wouldn't have offered Anderson as much as they did. This makes he think the Bears will look to add a RB in the draft. As far as the rest of what Pace has done, I love it. They had a ton of cap space and they were smart about it. They have set themselves up really well for the draft. They can go any route they want. Hey, maybe the Bears guy will drop to them, the draft can be a crazy thing. If not they could always trade back.

I totally believe that they are looking at 2 and 3 years from now and at that point he would be irrelevant. I think he will do ok this year, but this is about getting younger and the future. Matt is not part of that, some people just need to move on . Hanging on to our heros longer that we should is not a good football decision.

I totally believe that they are looking at 2 and 3 years from now and at that point he would be irrelevant. I think he will do ok this year, but this is about getting younger and the future. Matt is not part of that, some people just need to move on . Hanging on to our heros longer that we should is not a good football decision.

Trust me I am not hanging on, just stating what I would have liked to see. I get that Forte is not apart of the future. The Bears need to get younger, which they have. I hope they can add a game changer in the first round.

The big selling point for CJ Anderson was that he's 25 with low mileage. He's entering his prime.

I hated to see Forte go but I get it. With the exception of Freeman and Miller, every player we've signed is in their prime and should be productive for 3-5 years.

Agreed. Freeman is the only one with some age. But, not "old".

The big selling point for CJ Anderson was that he's 25 with low mileage. He's entering his prime.

I hated to see Forte go but I get it. With the exception of Freeman and Miller, every player we've signed is in their prime and should be productive for 3-5 years.