Intersting mock draft start

jason

http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

1. Ronnie Stanley, LT, ND

2. Jaylon Smith, LB, ND

3. Karl Joseph, SS, WVU

Looking through how things played out, there are some interesting combinations to be made depending on your view of the SS class.

Honestly, I'm on board with Joseph in the 2nd and love Smith...I'd be in love with that draft. I don't know that you could draw out a better looking top 3 picks in my eyes. Never happens though (no way does Joseph fall to the 3rd).

This is what drives me bonkers about mocks. It's like doing the 'Bracketolegy' for March Madness. No one has the absolute formula and until it happens its pure guesswork and speculation. One of the funniest stories to me is how when this all started nearly everyone said the QB class this year more or less sucked and at best you might find one or two quality backups. If for nothing else they might be picked, at the earliest, in the 2nd or more likely 3rd round. Yet just this week St. Louis...I mean LA mortgaged the farm so that they could have the 1st overall pick. And now the talk is will it be Wentz or will it be Goff? And if not one at 1 the other will surely be gone at 2. As my Grandmother used to say: "Ach de libre!!"

This is what drives me bonkers about mocks. It's like doing the 'Bracketolegy' for March Madness. No one has the absolute formula and until it happens its pure guesswork and speculation. One of the funniest stories to me is how when this all started nearly everyone said the QB class this year more or less sucked and at best you might find one or two quality backups. If for nothing else they might be picked, at the earliest, in the 2nd or more likely 3rd round. Yet just this week St. Louis...I mean LA mortgaged the farm so that they could have the 1st overall pick. And now the talk is will it be Wentz or will it be Goff? And if not one at 1 the other will surely be gone at 2. As my Grandmother used to say: "Ach de libre!!"

Everything I have read or heard has always had 2 QB's in the top 10. I will say Wentz has everything but experience against top competition on his side, so I think he could be the top QB. Goff is a California kid with experience in a pro offense and played against better competition, so LA may prefer him? Now that LA traded up, Lynch may sneak into the top 10.

So for those who still want Smith, are you just cutting Freeman next year? He'll be 31 which is oldish, but he's been playing at a high level and I really think he can can be productive through all 3 years of his contract.

If they take Smith in Round 2, it will hopefully add competition and the best guy plays. Just like if they add Ronnie Stanley, Leno will have to step up his game;William Jackson III, Porter/Fuller will have to step up; Keanu Neal, Rolle will etc. So if they do have a chance to take Smith and he does win the starting role, then it comes down to the cap.

If they take Smith in Round 2, it will hopefully add competition and the best guy plays. Just like if they add Ronnie Stanley, Leno will have to step up his game;William Jackson III, Porter/Fuller will have to step up; Keanu Neal, Rolle will etc. So if they do have a chance to take Smith and he does win the starting role, then it comes down to the cap.

The difference being Jerrell Freeman and Danny Trevathon are very good players while the competition elsewhere is "meh" at best.

I wouldn't hate to see them draft Smith, but I'd much rather they stay away from ILB/WR/OG early. Those positions are where they are set IMO.

I suppose if he bulks up.

If that's the thought why not consider a Ragland, or a Lee as it appears both may be slipping fast. And at one time (long ago in galaxy of mocks far away) both were projected 1st round talent. And Ragland already has the bulk....and isn't hurt.

Edit: with Pixotes update, forget Smith altogether. Unless you consider him 6th or 7th round. Or later...

If that's the thought why not consider a Ragland, or a Lee as it appears both may be slipping fast. And at one time (long ago in galaxy of mocks far away) both were projected 1st round talent. And Ragland already has the bulk....and isn't hurt.

Edit: with Pixotes update, forget Smith altogether. Unless you consider him 6th or 7th round. Or later...

Smith is listed to play olb or iilb depending on where you read it, if they draft him, it should be at least the fourth round and plays in 2 years. He could be a major player if he dully recovers.

Gotta remember that being listed as OLB could also mean he's a 4-3 OLB.

I think Smith is best suited in a role where his coverage skills play out vs going after the QB. Could he play the role? Yeah probably, but he's probably gonna be a a bit of a project in that role. So essentially you're looking at a guy who's redshirted year 1 and stepping into a new role year 2. That's not what I really want in a 2nd rounder.

I wouldn't forget him altogether. Round 4 I may take a chance. Word is Myles Jack will drop out of top 10. Is he worth considering?

I wouldn't forget him altogether. Round 4 I may take a chance. Word is Myles Jack will drop out of top 10. Is he worth considering?

I have heard that the Chargers asked him to run safety drills, and with his ability in coverage, he might actually make a really good SS. I don't think he has the size to play OLB, and we are set at ILB, but Jack might be worth considering at safety. If Freeman or Trev go down you could move him down to ILB.

I have heard that the Chargers asked him to run safety drills, and with his ability in coverage, he might actually make a really good SS. I don't think he has the size to play OLB, and we are set at ILB, but Jack might be worth considering at safety. If Freeman or Trev go down you could move him down to ILB.

The Chargers will take Ramsey or Tunsil I would think. Jax is were I thought Jack fit in best, slight concern over his knee maybe is what a few top execs are saying.

Never gave it much thought, but he could be a brilliant ss, he has good coverage skills.

I look at Ramsey and Jack in similar ways because their skills offer a defensive coordinator a lot of options. Forget labels (SS, ILB, CB, etc.) it's just as simple as... in this game I need you to line up outside and do this....in the next game you'll line up inside and do the opposite. Plus with either player you don't have to worry about the chess match when the offense splits out the move TEs wide vs. keeping them inline. It might take both of these players 2-3 years to realize their full talent and versatility but once you have that on the field it's a big advantage defensively.