2017 Bold or Daring draft predictions

ASHKUM BEAR

Once again, the board is active with draft buzz. I went back and read many of last years posts to get a laugh or felt impressed with some early insight. Early on was doubling up on ILBs, DBs, and linemen. A lot of talk about staying BPA also. Once we got closer to April, some were shocked to see QBs projected to go top 2 as it was thought the class beared no first rounders.

With that in mind, what is your early bold or daring predictions the Bears do in rounds 1-3. Give us something to look at a year from now.

My take:

1. DeShaun Watson QB - I have Myles Garrett going to Cle and SF taking Kizer for some odd reason if they hire McDaniels and he takes a more pro ready QB. Watson will be a project to transform him to the pro style, but his leadership and skills is the keys Pace wants in a QB.

2. David Njoku TE Mia- talk he could be the first TE taken but has little game experience.

3. David Sharpe OLT FL- protypical LT size, was a 2018 high first rd prospect that can push Leno.

Once again, the board is active with draft buzz. I went back and read many of last years posts to get a laugh or felt impressed with some early insight. Early on was doubling up on ILBs, DBs, and linemen. A lot of talk about staying BPA also. Once we got closer to April, some were shocked to see QBs projected to go top 2 as it was thought the class beared no first rounders.

With that in mind, what is your early bold or daring predictions the Bears do in rounds 1-3. Give us something to look at a year from now.

My take:

1. DeShaun Watson QB - I have Myles Garrett going to Cle and SF taking Kizer for some odd reason if they hire McDaniels and he takes a more pro ready QB. Watson will be a project to transform him to the pro style, but his leadership and skills is the keys Pace wants in a QB.

2. David Njoku TE Mia- talk he could be the first TE taken but has little game experience.

3. David Sharpe OLT FL- protypical LT size, was a 2018 high first rd prospect that can push Leno.

I'd have to say taking Watson with the 3rd overall pick would top my list.

Watson seems to have some tangibles that make him a winner, but I still do not think he is the third best player in the draft. I think watching one great game should not boost his status to must draft. His size, he is prone to interceptions. He struggles with some of the route tree throws. I am not sold on him. If we draft him, I will get on board, but not without trepidation.

I know we have to draft a QB but value is key to drafting that high. If we draft him and he becomes a good starter type, it will work out, but I do not see him as a franchise QB as the top 5 or 6 in the league are.

Buyer beware.

Watson seems to have some tangibles that make him a winner, but I still do not think he is the third best player in the draft. I think watching one great game should not boost his status to must draft. His size, he is prone to interceptions. He struggles with some of the route tree throws. I am not sold on him. If we draft him, I will get on board, but not without trepidation.

I know we have to draft a QB but value is key to drafting that high. If we draft him and he becomes a good starter type, it will work out, but I do not see him as a franchise QB as the top 5 or 6 in the league are.

Buyer beware.

This is how I see Pace and the Bears drafting right now in the early stages as my prediction. I am a little worried about his size and throwing the ball up for grabs, he tossed a few during the championship game that made me cringe.

I think the Bears draft a QB or trade down. That said, if we waited, I think I'd go after Romo and draft that Mahomes kid and I'd reach on him (to ensure I got him). He doesn't look like the typical "spread" QB, but I presume being a spread QB he'll take a bit more time, which is why I'd make an aggressive push for Romo for a year or two (and I'd spend a lot of money on the defensive side of the ball). Then with the 1st pick, I'd probably move down and grab a safety or LT + other picks or if the Bears thought one of the dlineman was going to be a 15 sack a season type guy (pass rushing menace)...then I'd go after them (never ever ever can you have too much pass rush).

I don't know that Watson is a top 3 player in the draft either, but draft history is full of "can't miss" guys that fell on their face. I have watched a few Clemson games (6-8)over the last couple of years and I will say this the kid is a winner. I have read a couple articles talking about his leadership, not just on the field, but off as well. He is a competitor. As for his height, he's 6'2", the NFL average is 6'3". It's not like he's "5 foot nothin ' and a 100 and nothin' " (shout out to all you Irish fans with a little Rudy reference). How many of us would turn down Brees or Wilson??? I also don't see him as reckless with the ball, his stats bear this out : Screenshot_2017_01_11_08_58_22_1.png

I predict the Bears get Tyrod Taylor in FA, lining them up for:

1) Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State - Bears immediately address the glaring lack of big plays at the safety position. They get offers to move down, but take their man.

2) Sidney Jones, CB, Washington - This is a prime spot for either a trade down or to catch a player who somewhat unexpectedly fell out of the first round, so I'll go out on a limb with Jones.

3) Davis Webb, QB, Cal - Notwithstanding the add of Taylor, Bears get their QB of the future

I predict Pace doesn't buckle to the pressure of QB need, and goes with his general BPA philosophy. He's talked about BPA philosophy before, and it would serve him well. With that said, he grabs either Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen, both of which would exponentially help the D. After that he adds a little more emphasis to QB, maybe even moving up to get the guy he wants.

I think I agree. The only pressure he is is to draft "A QUARTERBACK" somewhere in the first 3-4 rounds. That is unless he gets one via a trade like Jimmy G or Tyrod. And even then, I still see him drafting a QB somewhere in rounds 3-5. It's a make up call for the last 2 seasons...

I predict Pace doesn't buckle to the pressure of QB need, and goes with his general BPA philosophy. He's talked about BPA philosophy before, and it would serve him well. With that said, he grabs either Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen, both of which would exponentially help the D. After that he adds a little more emphasis to QB, maybe even moving up to get the guy he wants.

I think I agree. The only pressure he is is to draft "A QUARTERBACK" somewhere in the first 3-4 rounds. That is unless he gets one via a trade like Jimmy G or Tyrod. And even then, I still see him drafting a QB somewhere in rounds 3-5. It's a make up call for the last 2 seasons...

Put me down for the-no-qb-at-3 group. Watson is going to go earlier, and I will be happy. And after watching the championship game, I don't want Allen either. I did not see him make any plays on the big stage.

Right now I'm leaning to S or CB at no 3.

Agreed. I see the discussion for BPA and totally understand it. But I almost have to wonder if Watson isn't considered BPA even at 3rd overall? If you consider the overall need of our team along with if you consider the intangibles of leadership and overall intelligence (graduating in 2 1/2 years) you just about have to grade that into the equation. The guy performed on the largest stage of college football two years in a row with almost identical stats. And he did it against the vaunted Alabama (NFL production level) defense. This is pretty noteworthy in my book.

The one little itty bitty thing that bothers me is that he could be considered a 'project' because he may not be NFL QB ready. He played in a system (I call it Chip Kelly offense) where the QB doesn't seem to get to make a lot of the play calls. Instead the calls come in from the sideline (in the form of gyrations and huge playing cards). The QB doesn't get a lot of opportunity to use what they've seen in the field to weigh in on the play. The especially effects their ability to call audibles if needed. I think being able to identify when and why to do an audible (at the right time) is paramount to an NFL QB. Could he learn this? Absolutely. It may just take some time.

Agreed. I see the discussion for BPA and totally understand it. But I almost have to wonder if Watson isn't considered BPA even at 3rd overall? If you consider the overall need of our team along with if you consider the intangibles of leadership and overall intelligence (graduating in 2 1/2 years) you just about have to grade that into the equation. The guy performed on the largest stage of college football two years in a row with almost identical stats. And he did it against the vaunted Alabama (NFL production level) defense. This is pretty noteworthy in my book.

The one little itty bitty thing that bothers me is that he could be considered a 'project' because he may not be NFL QB ready. He played in a system (I call it Chip Kelly offense) where the QB doesn't seem to get to make a lot of the play calls. Instead the calls come in from the sideline (in the form of gyrations and huge playing cards). The QB doesn't get a lot of opportunity to use what they've seen in the field to weigh in on the play. The especially effects their ability to call audibles if needed. I think being able to identify when and why to do an audible (at the right time) is paramount to an NFL QB. Could he learn this? Absolutely. It may just take some time.

You say BPA and then blow up your own opinion by saying Watson is the third best player. He is not. He will get over drafted, but is a high risk choice anywhere in the first round. If we drafted him, I would be supportive but not sold on the pick.

I think the leadership, IQ, and performances on the biggest stage weigh in heavily when grading a player. Most NFL scouts and GMs hold off on grading until the season is over because one bad/good game can change that grade and in Watsons case he gained points.

Looking down the road, would you feel better having Jonathon Allen with Hoyer/Barkley/Kaaya or Deshaun Watson/Hoyer with (Bullard/FA signing C Campbell or K Short) at the DE? The Bears can wisely spend that 80 million in cap space and buy a DE, but are limited on choices at QB.

I am anxious to start a new chapter of life without Cutler, so my thought process is a little biased.

I think the leadership, IQ, and performances on the biggest stage weigh in heavily when grading a player. Most NFL scouts and GMs hold off on grading until the season is over because one bad/good game can change that grade and in Watsons case he gained points.

Looking down the road, would you feel better having Jonathon Allen with Hoyer/Barkley/Kaaya or Deshaun Watson/Hoyer with (Bullard/FA signing C Campbell or K Short) at the DE? The Bears can wisely spend that 80 million in cap space and buy a DE, but are limited on choices at QB.

I am anxious to start a new chapter of life without Cutler, so my thought process is a little biased.

your right about all of that except that Watson is not as low risk as you think he is, look at what scouts say, not everybody that watched him play a wonderful game. He throw two interceptions in the game. he has limitations on his route tree. Everybody judged Young to be a good QB from his championship game, where is he now.

You say BPA and then blow up your own opinion by saying Watson is the third best player. He is not. He will get over drafted, but is a high risk choice anywhere in the first round. If we drafted him, I would be supportive but not sold on the pick.

Disagree (but I hope you're right). In that if he does turn or to be the 3rd best player in the draft then the chances of the Bears getting him improve. I say BPA because if indeed he is still available at #3 he is the 'best player available' for the Bears. Not knowing really what Cleveland and Jacksonville need I can only assume Watson will be at least in the top 5. There will be players more better (not a phrase I know) that will grade out higher but again, considering what the Bears need, Watson will be the best BPA at 3. Assuming he's still there.

Of course this is all my simple and non-distinguished opinion.

I'm fairly sold on Watson and would have to go with option B. Having the cap space as you mentioned would allow the Bears in buying some pretty impressive FAs. That could possibly include Campbell and perhaps even a player like Berry. With placeholders like Hoyer, Barkley and/or Shaw you'd have a pretty good base of QB talent to work from and get Watson up to speed.

your right about all of that except that Watson is not as low risk as you think he is, look at what scouts say, not everybody that watched him play a wonderful game. He throw two interceptions in the game. he has limitations on his route tree. Everybody judged Young to be a good QB from his championship game, where is he now.

Sorry to have answered you twice but thought I'd inject this thought. Remember that I don't place a lot of faith in the so called 'draft experts'.

On Dak Prescott: https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.co.../?client=safari

And an article about Vince Young. Most of which is described by Mike Mayock (of who I am generally not a fan). To redeem my lack of faith in him, Mayock also comments about Cutler. http://staugustine.com/stories/042906/spor...ml#.WHctMYHpqEc

Sorry to have answered you twice but thought I'd inject this thought. Remember that I don't place a lot of faith in the so called 'draft experts'.

On Dak Prescott: https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.co.../?client=safari

And an article about Vince Young. Most of which is described by Mike Mayock (of who I am generally not a fan). To redeem my lack of faith in him, Mayock also comments about Cutler. http://staugustine.com/stories/042906/spor...ml#.WHctMYHpqEc

Im not referring to draft experts, I am talking about NFL scouts and former scouts. Of course they are not always right on evaluations or someone like Tom Brady would never last until the 6th round, but they have a higher percentage of being accurate than the common joe(me or you).

Dont get me wrong, I would love him to be the next great QB but he has flaws. So I am just stating that at 3 he would be over drafted and is not a early round value.

There are parts I dislike about him or any of the QB prospects which make them all high risk. I envision a protege of Russell Wilson who was a 3rd round pick. Some NFL teams have Watson still graded as a 3rd rounder after that last game. Would Wilson go in the 3rd in a re-draft, I would guess not. Watson will get over drafted and if the Bears take him I would understand why, even though I am slowly reeling in my thought.

My personal big board is Myles Garrett, Jamal Adams, Watson, and Kizer. The top two will be difference makers, the bottom two are boom or bust. There are other great players to pick from too like Jon Allen, Humphrey, or Hooker but knowing the price of a QB gives them a handicap.

Retro thought is that both Jason and I were including Dak Prescott in many of both of our mocks last year.As for Watson if you watched the championship game closely you should have recognized the players that were making the outstanding catches for Watson; Leggett and Williams. I believe Williams did better for his stock than Watson. With Watson receiving an invite to the Senior Bowl which I hope he accepts to give the Bears a close up look to see how he takes to pro coaching and playing under center.

Bold Malik Hooker at 3 and bolder trading back into round 1 to get Watson or Kizer.

Buyer beware.

I don't disagree on your points but the thread is about making a bold prediction. For me that means something unexpected and a bit shocking. Taking Watson with the 3rd overall pick would fit that description for me.

I don't actually see Watson as a high end QB either. I think his ceiling is mid-level starter, which is someone you can win with. I see more upside with either Kizer or Trubisky but if Watson can perform consistently in the NFL that would be an improvement for our roster.

Maybe we should put this being bold question another way and ask: What would Emery do?

Being bold, getting outside the box and making people say WTF. Let me lay the groundwork for this. I see Garrett gone #1 overall and the 49ers taking a QB, likely Trubisky. With that the Bears shock Mel Kiper and take

Rd 1 #3 overall Jamal Adams S athleticism to play all DB positions and leadership to get everyone lined up before the snap

This puts Jonathan Allen on the board at #4 for the Jaguars and with Solomon Thomas now sitting as the 3rd best player overall ( http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings) both these DEs (Allen, Thomas) go next. The Jets bypass a QB here which ultimately nets Cleveland exactly what they want when they draft DeShaun Watson with the 12th pick.

Cardinals feel too much value on the board and too many pressing needs to take a QB 13th overall.

With Kizer still on the board Pace knows he must get ahead of the Texans. He finds a trading partner at 18 in Tenn and gives them Alshon Jeffrey, a big proven WR they need for Mariotta, and our 2nd Rd pick. Tennessee also gives us their second 3rd Rd pick (#83 overall).

Rd 1 #18 QB D. Kizer

In Rd 3 of a deep draft Pace drafts:

#67: CB Rasul Douglass

#83: WR Isaiah Ford

Rd 4 OT Conor McDermott

Being bold, getting outside the box and making people say WTF. Let me lay the groundwork for this. I see Garrett gone #1 overall and the 49ers taking a QB, likely Trubisky. With that the Bears shock Mel Kiper and take

Rd 1 #3 overall Jamal Adams S athleticism to play all DB positions and leadership to get everyone lined up before the snap

This puts Jonathan Allen on the board at #4 for the Jaguars and with Solomon Thomas now sitting as the 3rd best player overall ( http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings) both these DEs (Allen, Thomas) go next. The Jets bypass a QB here which ultimately nets Cleveland exactly what they want when they draft DeShaun Watson with the 12th pick.

Cardinals feel too much value on the board and too many pressing needs to take a QB 13th overall.

With Kizer still on the board Pace knows he must get ahead of the Texans. He finds a trading partner at 18 in Tenn and gives them Alshon Jeffrey, a big proven WR they need for Mariotta, and our 2nd Rd pick. Tennessee also gives us their second 3rd Rd pick (#83 overall).

Rd 1 #18 QB D. Kizer

In Rd 3 of a deep draft Pace drafts:

#67: CB Rasul Douglass

#83: WR Isaiah Ford

Rd 4 OT Conor McDermott

thats out of the box and would have no problem with Adams at 3 and Kizer at 18 but I dont think all three QBs make it out of the top 15-----------Cleveland with two picks, SF,Jets, Az,Buf

I just played out a fanspeak mock along with the cap management simulation.

Cut: Jay Cutler QB, Lamar Houston, Eddie Royal

Re-signed: Alshon Jeffery, Brian Hoyer, Cornelius Washington, Sam Acho

FA Acquisitions: Eric Berry FS, Calais Campbell DE, Melvin Engram OLB, Dee Millner CB, Markus Wheaton WR

the FA acquisitions were who fanspeak had available. Short DL, Gilmore CB, Bouye CB were re-signed or tagged by there team. Pryor WR would cost as much as Jeffery so I passed.

Draft: using Matt Millers updated board

1. Deshaun Watson QB (Garrett 1st, Fournette 2nd, Jamal Adams went 4th, Jon Allen 5th)

2. Marlon Humprey CB (Teeze Tabor, Desmond King, Adoree Jackson also available)

3. Evan Engram TE ( Jake Butt available also)

4. Chad Wheeler OT

4. Zay Jones WR

5. David Sharpe OT

7. David Jones S

After all the FA signings, the Bears still had 13 million leftover in cap along with money set aside for the rookie pool. They would be able to sign another FA or two.