2017 Everyone Agrees Mock Draft

jason

Adam - RD1 QB=N, No Trubisky, Garrett/Allen RD1, TE mandatory, Needs: QB/LT then CB/S, (S,OT,QB,CB,TE,DL,WR,K)

Alaska - RD1 QB=Y, Deshaun, Needs: QB,CB/Safety (possible 2nd QB later), RD4 OL agreement

Ashkum - RD1 QB=Y, Deshaun, O>D, Kevin King RD4, Chad Wheeler > Julie'n Davenport RD4 (multiple OTs), CB RD1, Needs: CB/QB

AZ54 - RD1 QB=Y, Trubisky1/Kizer2, No Watson, D>O, Needs: QB/Safety, Adams>Hooker/Peppers, Chad Wheeler>Julie'n Davenport after RD3, QB #1 need, CB #2 need

Bears4Ever - RD1 QB=N, RD1 S, RD2 QB

Boston Boxer - RD1 QB=N, Garrett/Allen > Peppers/FS

Bowlingtwig - RD1 QB=N, Needs: CB/LT, Need early RD 2ndary, D>O,

Chile - RD1 QB=N (No Barkley), QB RD2, DE/S/CB in RD1, RD7 round kicker, Needs: CB/FS

Chitownhustla - RD1 QB=Y, Needs: QB/LT

Connor - RD1 QB=N, QB in RD2, CB/S in RD1

Daventry - RD1 QB=N (too many needs, Barkley potential, RD1 QB ?'s) Garrett/Allen RD1

Dawhizz - RD1 QB=N, Garrett>FS>Allen RD1

DBDB - RD1 QB=Y, FS #3 if forced to choose, would be OK with Allen, Peppers overrated

killakrzydav - RD1 QB=Y, Watson/Trubisky/Kelly/Kizer, O>D, No S @ #3, Garrett>QB, Needs: OT/S/CB, Kaaya "garbage"

Lemon - RD1 QB=N, BPA, Allen potential at #3, No Cam Robinson RD1, high on Fabian Moreau, CB potential 2nd round

Lucky Luciano - RD1 QB=Y, CB @ #3 in RD1, Position importance: QB, LOT, CB, DE. RT in RD3-RD4

MadLithuanian - RD1 QB=Y, Trubisky-lite, Needs: QB/FS then CB, TE mandatory

Mongo - RD1 QB=Y, Trubisky, O>D, Hooker>Adams @ FS, Draft an OT

NYC - RD1 QB=Y, Needs: QB, WR need within 3 rounds

Pixote - RD1 QB=N, RD2 QB, maybe another QB >RD3 also

scs787 - RD1 QB=N, Garrett/Allen RD1, FS next RD1 option

Stinger - RD1 QB=N, Must draft QB this year, No Trubisky, No Cam Robinson RD1, No Peppers RD1, TE mandatory, Adams/Garrett/Allen RD1, S in RD1

QB voted down. DL leads S/CB in the 1st.

-Ashkum & AZ both think Wheeler is better than Davenport at OT, and both are projected around the same time.

-AZ raises questions about Mahomes in the 2nd, but seems OK with the pick.

-Adam, Madlith, & Stinger think TE is mandatory. Right now that trumps the one mandatory WR vote from NYC.

-Two CBs also trump the one mandatory WR vote because everyone seems to agree there needs to be a focus on CBs, which is problematic since one isn't drafted until RD4.

Too many holes with not enough picks. With that said...

2017 EVERYONE AGREES MOCK - VER 2.0

1. Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama - Nearly half the board is upset, regardless of the pick

2. Pat Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech - Assures Barkley doesn't start

3. Budda Baker, S, Washington - Gives the Bears a solid back-end

4. Chad Wheeler, OT, USC - Potential for either side

4. Kevin King, CB, Washington - Good size/speed combo, cohesion with Baker

5. Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA - Rising draft boards, could be a steal

7. Pharaoh Brown, TE, Oregon - Skilled pass-catcher with injury history

i would be very happy, if that turns out that way.

I have read many places that Allen is the sure thing high in the draft.

Baker couild be a starter out day one, he has play making potential. GBND site has him ranked at the 41st best player and if we get him in the third that would be great

King would be a great pick in the 4th

covers all of our needs.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because we'll have four years with the best OLB/DE combination in the NFL. Perhaps most importantly is that Garrett is about as sure of a thing as a top draft pick as you can find. We won't find that among any of the QB candidates. That performance from two edge defenders can do a lot of damage and then when we have to cross the bridge of new contracts we'll figure it out. If the cap is a problem, then we can always tag one (Floyd) and trade him because if he is among the leagues better pass rushers we will get a 1st Rd pick in exchange.

i'm sorry but that is a huge gamble unless you figure in 4 years we have a cheap qb to offer a contract, a cheap LOT to offer a contract, cheap CB's and LB's or any other player who might be good enough to be considered all-pro or pro-bowl material (although i guess if we do have those types of cheap contracts coming up we will be picking in the top 10 again anyway).

in this cap era you can't, i repeat can't, dump that much money into the 'same' position and not expect your team to suffer from lack of supporting quality players.

that leaves, at least to me, the ability to financially support one all-pro pass rushing DE, possibly one all-pro cover CB and throw in another POSSIBLE defensive all-pro player at the remaining positions. after this you can best hope for good to very good players you have acquired through the draft playing out rookie contracts.

now take into account your offensive salary cap restrictions. QB and WR along with LOT are some big ticket items. where are you going to find the cap money to pay them?

finally... to me you are hopefully picking in the top 10 rarely. this SHOULD be a cornerstone to the foundation of your franchise for 10 years. to draft a player there you know you can't support and will not last past his first contract is madness.

We'll have to agree to disagree overall, but two points:

1) The Dolphins did not win with the offense you describe. They got Marino outside the pocket a bunch, and Marino had a bunch of 7-step drops. It wasn't the 3 and 5 step drop system you're referencing.

2) The DL over other positions is not my opinion. It's just what the majority of the board chose. I'm not suggesting what to do. I'm attempting to leave my "picks" out of the equation.

the dolphins had a very good offensive line. that said, marino killed the bears with his quick releases. we kept blitzing and couldn't put the hit on him enough to stop them from manhandling us. this was one of the few instances that i recall buddy ryan was outcoached.

Paul M. Banks, August 23, 2013

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-sports-m...rino-bears-842/

“Looking back on it, we got off to a good start, and what we did is we took our normal base offense and took our tight end out of the game and moved Nat Moore in and spread it out a little bit, and they stayed in their same type of defense, so they had linebackers trying to cover Nat Moore, and when they blitzed they had to bring a safety down.”

“So that kind of helped what we did offensively, I hate to say it, but it’s as simple as that,” Dan Marino summarized.

Dan Marino was known for having one of the quickest releases the league has ever seen, so he was one of the very few passers adept enough to beat the Bears blitz packages. In short, he was fast enough on the trigger to get past the blitz and exploit one-on-one mismatches. And with Moore, the Dolphins had a WR on LB mismatch to complement the “Marks Brothers” at wideout beating the Bears corners and safeties.

the dolphins had a very good offensive line. that said, marino killed the bears with his quick releases. we kept blitzing and couldn't put the hit on him enough to stop them from manhandling us. this was one of the few instances that i recall buddy ryan was outcoached.

Paul M. Banks, August 23, 2013

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-sports-m...rino-bears-842/

“Looking back on it, we got off to a good start, and what we did is we took our normal base offense and took our tight end out of the game and moved Nat Moore in and spread it out a little bit, and they stayed in their same type of defense, so they had linebackers trying to cover Nat Moore, and when they blitzed they had to bring a safety down.”

“So that kind of helped what we did offensively, I hate to say it, but it’s as simple as that,” Dan Marino summarized.

Dan Marino was known for having one of the quickest releases the league has ever seen, so he was one of the very few passers adept enough to beat the Bears blitz packages. In short, he was fast enough on the trigger to get past the blitz and exploit one-on-one mismatches. And with Moore, the Dolphins had a WR on LB mismatch to complement the “Marks Brothers” at wideout beating the Bears corners and safeties.

Lucky, I'm usually in your corner, but not this time. 32 of 32 GM's would love to have that situation. If you have a guy that good, they are also trade able. Plus, we don't even know if our guy is that good yet. I don't think Allen is the answer at 3 either.

Lucky, I'm usually in your corner, but not this time. 32 of 32 GM's would love to have that situation. If you have a guy that good, they are also trade able. Plus, we don't even know if our guy is that good yet. I don't think Allen is the answer at 3 either.

if this were a non salary cap league like it used to be then it could turn out fantastic. but with the cap i just do not see how we can pay other top tier money position players and do this (especially the top player, QB, you hope to obtain). sure, in the near future it would be a great addition but it hurts our team in the long term in many ways.

defensively: we can't assume floyd is a bust possibility at this juncture or that garrett is going to be a can't miss player. there have been many 'can't miss' players who never transitioned into the nfl. in today's league you have to have at least one very good to elite DB preferably at the corner position.

offensively: you MUST have a very good to elite QB to succeed more than one season's anomaly. to make this position the keystone you have to have a very good to elite LOT (unless he is a lefty) not to mention the rest of the offensive line must be at the least good to very good. without them your keystone player is minimized or ends up on IR.

what of the very good to elite WR to make our offense work? we faced that dilemma this past season with jeffry tagged. running backs seem to have dropped in value leading to the cap but TE's have taken their place. even so neither are cheap per se'.

if someone can tell me how to pay elite players on both sides of the ball needed to win more than one lucky superbowl i surely would be willing to change my mind on this garrett.

otherwise if no QB, LOT or CB are worthy of this high a pick for future consideration then try to trade down as i have stated in previous posts and let someone else use their multiple picks on garrett and we gain ammunition for next years attack to move up in the draft for that elite QB.

the dolphins had a very good offensive line. that said, marino killed the bears with his quick releases. we kept blitzing and couldn't put the hit on him enough to stop them from manhandling us. this was one of the few instances that i recall buddy ryan was outcoached.Paul M. Banks, August 23, 2013http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-sports-m...rino-bears-842/“Looking back on it, we got off to a good start, and what we did is we took our normal base offense and took our tight end out of the game and moved Nat Moore in and spread it out a little bit, and they stayed in their same type of defense, so they had linebackers trying to cover Nat Moore, and when they blitzed they had to bring a safety down.”“So that kind of helped what we did offensively, I hate to say it, but it’s as simple as that,” Dan Marino summarized.Dan Marino was known for having one of the quickest releases the league has ever seen, so he was one of the very few passers adept enough to beat the Bears blitz packages. In short, he was fast enough on the trigger to get past the blitz and exploit one-on-one mismatches. And with Moore, the Dolphins had a WR on LB mismatch to complement the “Marks Brothers” at wideout beating the Bears corners and safeties.

That guy can write it how he wants, and Marino can misremember it all he wants, but I just broke down the film. Every freaking play. The fact of the matter is, Marino dropped back to pass 33 times, was sacked 3 times, and penalties were involved a couple other plays. Of his 27 pass attempts, only 10 were 5-step drops. And one of those was a 5-step drop on a shotgun. Out of those quicker developing plays, he was sacked once, threw one INT, and only completed two passes. One of the completions was a short ~3YD pass. The other one was that 5-step shotgun, on which he also got outside the pocket, and it resulted in a 52YD pass to Duper.

The Dolphins didn't beat the Bears because of quick reads like you're thinking of, or how we think of the WCO of today. They beat the Bears because they got one of the biggest flukes in history on the Hampton deflection to Duper for a 42YD TD (7-step drop), and they blocked a punt at the end of the 1st half that set them up for a gimme TD (one of the ones to Moore) on a pass that Marino actually took 8 or 9 steps on his drop-back, and Moore just happened to juke Wilbur.

For the sake of argument, here's all their offensive plays:

Drive Play Pass Shotgun Step-Drop OTP Result
1 1 Y 7
1 2 N
1 3 Y Y 7 Incomplete
1 4 Y Y 7 Y Huge throw to Duper downfield
1 5 N
1 6 Y Y 7 TD
2 7 Y 7 Y Short gain
2 8 N
2 9 Y 7 Incomplete, offsides
2 10 N
2 11 Y 5 Incomplete, Fencik blasts Duper
2 12 Y Y 7 Duper drops short crossing route
3 13 Y 5 Incomplete
3 14 N
3 15 Y 7 Sack
3 16 Y Y 7 Back shoulder big play
3 17 Y 5 Play-action, sack
3 18 Y 7 Post-route, big play
3 19 N
3 20 Y 5 Play-action, incomplete
3 21 N TD
4 22 Y 5 3yd gain
4 23 Y 8 Big play, holding
4 24 N
4 25 Y Y 5 Y Roll-out right, 52yd to Duper
4 26 Y 5 Horrible overthrow under pressure
4 27 N
4 28 Y Y 7 Y Pressured out, big gain to Clayton
4 29 N TD
5 30 Y 8 Incomplete
5 31 Y 9 Moore jukes Wilbur for a short TD
6 32 Y 5 INT
7 33 N 5 Y Clayton barely misses deep out completion
7 34 Y
7 35 Y Y 7 ~20YD Completion, strip by Richardson
8 36 N
8 37 Y 7 Dump off pass to open RB, drop
8 38 Y Y 7 Deflection off Hampton for 42yd TD to Clayton
9 39 Y 5 Play action, overthrow while under pressure
9 40 N
9 41 Y Y 7 Overthrows inside collapsing pocket
10 42 Y 5 Incomplete slant, Richardson in coverage
10 43 Y 9 Quick 3YD out to Clayton, PF on Bears
10 44 N
10 45 Y 7 Clayton with mid-slant catch, runs backwards
10 46 Y 8 Marino with 22yd pass on back pedal, Otis bad read on zone
10 47 N
10 48 Y 7 Dent with great bend, gets the sack-strip
10 49 Y Y 7 Y Marino throws it deep but out of bounds
11 50 N
11 51 N
11 52 N
11 53 N
11 54 N
12 55 N
12 56 N
12 57 N

Back to the point of this thread...

-QB in the 1st round got outvoted. We knew that was going to be the most debated issue.

-DE won out over S in regards to the players available. I could add a poll, but the specific preferences appear to solve the debate for a quorum.

-Allen may or may not be worth the #3 pick. Most think he is.

-Having a surplus (i.e. DE + OLB) with financial obligation is a valid discussion, but most would probably draft Allen if he is worth the #3.

Unless more join in on either the side of the Safety in round 1, or more have a valid issue against Allen at #3, then he has to be the pick. No other player appears to be worth the #3 in the consensus of mock draft sites and sites that have players ranked on big boards.

What I want to know is, are there objections to the specific players or positions drafted? Surely this process is not over already. Have we talked about mocks enough that we just got to an end result quicker? Or is it less up for debate because the #3 pick sort of pigeon-holes us into very few possible decisions that A. Fill value, and B. Fill need?

Not for the mock...but if we don't go with QB and Allen is there. Would you take Allen, draft a safety, or trade down? My choice would be to trade down and draft a safety.

I would to, but for sake of complicated mocking ,I would be OKay with Allen. I have been consuming draft information over the last two weeks, and Garrett and Allen are the two most confident picks everybody makes. I want Adams because I think , a playmaker will have more impact than a 5T pick. But if he turns into a 10 sack guy and makes Hicks and Goldman more effective , I will never complain about that pick. There will be lower safeties that will have the impact first years before you get a lower DE make that difference.

Not for the mock...but if we don't go with QB and Allen is there. Would you take Allen, draft a safety, or trade down? My choice would be to trade down and draft a safety.

Yeah, agreeing to all the trade down possibilities is impossible for everyone to agree and work on. But ideally, I'm definitely a trade down fan. At #3 the pick has a ton of value, particularly with a thin QB class. And since it's clear the Bears have several needs, it would be ideal to pick up a few extra mid-round picks. I love the value of 2nd and 3rd round, even some 4th, in this draft.

Yeah, agreeing to all the trade down possibilities is impossible for everyone to agree and work on. But ideally, I'm definitely a trade down fan. At #3 the pick has a ton of value, particularly with a thin QB class. And since it's clear the Bears have several needs, it would be ideal to pick up a few extra mid-round picks. I love the value of 2nd and 3rd round, even some 4th, in this draft.

Agree. Just kind of curious if the reality is the consensus #1 pick would be a trade down, but we clearly can't predict that, so have a different expedient in process.

So is this thing done? Aside from hot debate between a 1st RD QB or another position, and then debate about whether it should be Allen at DE or Hooker/Adams at FS, are we really in "agreement" here?

1. Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama - Nearly half the board is upset, regardless of the pick

So is this thing done? Aside from hot debate between a 1st RD QB or another position, and then debate about whether it should be Allen at DE or Hooker/Adams at FS, are we really in "agreement" here?

For version #1. Can we do a second draft (sorry for the pun) after the combine and free agency?

For version #1. Can we do a second draft (sorry for the pun) after the combine and free agency?

Absolutely. We did it last year, but most just were happy to default to the original.

I think this offseason, more than any I can remember, has a variety of paths the Bears could take.

No. :angry:

Side note: I hate the Allen pick. I don't think he goes top 8.

I prefer Adams but I can see it going down that way.

There is only a couple of mocks that I have seen that Allen falls out of the top 8.

He will be a top 5 player, I hate to refer to PFF but he is the top rated DL in the draft.

I prefer Adams but I can see it going down that way.

There is only a couple of mocks that I have seen that Allen falls out of the top 8.

He will be a top 5 player, I hate to refer to PFF but he is the top rated DL in the draft.

One spot ahead of Solomon Thomas depending where you look. Everywhere I look Thomas is rising rapidly so my guess is that before we get to the draft there will be more debate about which of these two are the best fit. Solomon is younger with less experience but athletically I like him better than Allen.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players.../solomon-thomas

COMPARES TO: Aaron Donald, Los Angeles Rams: Comparing anyone to a disruptive presence like Donald (a legitimate Defensive MVP candidate, in my opinion) seems like hyperbole but it is hard not to see the resemblance to the 6-1, 285 pounder given their similar initial burst, functional power, advanced use of hands, and non-stop hustle.

One spot ahead of Solomon Thomas depending where you look. Everywhere I look Thomas is rising rapidly so my guess is that before we get to the draft there will be more debate about which of these two are the best fit. Solomon is younger with less experience but athletically I like him better than Allen.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players.../solomon-thomas

COMPARES TO: Aaron Donald, Los Angeles Rams: Comparing anyone to a disruptive presence like Donald (a legitimate Defensive MVP candidate, in my opinion) seems like hyperbole but it is hard not to see the resemblance to the 6-1, 285 pounder given their similar initial burst, functional power, advanced use of hands, and non-stop hustle.

Donald had dominating stats in college, Thomas does not. I think he is a riskier choice than Allen. Pff rated Allen the top rated DL in the draft. Thomas looks to be a good player but he is also 20 lbs less than ends up mattering at the NFL level. He has already added lots of weight during his college career , not sure his body will take another 20 to 30 lbs to endure the riggers of the bigger players at the upper level.

This is what I compiled over the past few days. If you have multiple letters after RD1 QB, that means I found where you were leaning one way in one thread, and another elsewhere. Other notes are from whatever comments made in various other threads. If you disagree with something by your name, or your slant on QB in RD1, please let me know.

Right now we have 8 Y for QB RD1, 11 N for QB RD1, 2 Maybes for QB RD1, and potential voters I may have left out.

Adam - RD1 QB=YYM, No Trubisky, Needs: QB/LT then CB/S, Garrett/Allen RD1

Alaska - RD1 QB=N (More sense later), Needs: QB/CB (possible 2nd QB later), RD4 OL agreement

Ashkum - RD1 QB=N (RD2-Falk?), O>D, Kevin King RD4, Julie'n Davenport RD4, Chad Wheeler RD3/RD4 (multiple OTs), CB RD1, Needs: CB/QB

AZ54 - RD1 QB=YY/M (Allen MM), Trubisky1/Kizer2, No Watson, D>O, Needs: QB/CB, Julie'n Davenport after RD3, QB #1 need, CB #2 need, Adams > Peppers @ S

Bears4Ever - RD1 QB=N, RD1 S, RD2 QB

Boston Boxer - RD1 QB=NN, Garrett/Allen then Peppers/FS,

Bowlingtwig - RD1 QB=MM/NNN, Needs: CB/LT, Need early RD 2ndary, D>O,

Chile - RD1 QB=Y/M/No (No Barkley), RD7 round kicker, Needs: CB/FS

Chitownhustla - RD1 QB=Y, Needs: QB/LT

Connor - RD1 QB=N, QB in RD2, CB/S in RD1

Daventry - RD1 QB=N (too many needs, Barkley potential, RD1 QB ?'s)

Dawhizz - RD1 QB=N, Garrett/Allen RD1 then FS,

DBDB - RD1 QB=YM, Peppers overrated

killakrzydav - RD1 QB=YYYY/M/N, QB more yes because of risk they don't fall, Watson Yes, O>D, Garrett>QB, Kaaya "garbage"

Lemon - RD1 QB=M, No Cam Robinson RD1

Lucky Luciano - RD1 QB=M, Needs: QB/CB, RT in RD3-RD4

MadLithuanian - RD1 QB=Y, Needs: QB/FS then CB

Mongo - RD1 QB=YYY, Trubisky, O>D, Draft an OT

NYC - RD1 QB=Y, Needs: QB/, WR need within 3 rounds

Pixote - RD1 QB=N (RD2, maybe >RD3 also)

scs787 - RD1 QB=N, Garrett/Allen RD1, FS next RD1 option

Stinger - RD1 QB=MMN, Must draft QB this year, No Trubisky, No Cam Robinson RD1, Garrett/Allen RD1, S in RD1 or RD2, No Peppers RD1

I did not think Hooker was coming out, so that is why i said Peppers. I want Hooker

I kind of do too...I just don't like the idea of taking guys who aren't projected to be disruptive that early. I want guys who get after the QB. Of course I said that about Floyd and had my doubts and look at how disruptive he was as a rookie (hopefully he takes another step forward next year).

The more I think of it, if someone put a gun to my head and said we couldn't trade down and we weren't drafting a QB, I'm going safety. Hooker would be that guy for me.

Heard an interesting interview from someone (not sure who it was) earlier today talking about Deshaun Watson and he basically said, if he were running the front office, Watson would be the first guy taken. Said you shouldn't get cute with QB. You can say everything you want about Watson, but in the biggest games in college football, he went against the closest thing to an NFL defense (in college) and dominated both games (only one was a victory). Said the guy is unphazed and just has a special knack for big stages, etc.

Of course, I suppose people could have said that about Tim Tebow too...although Watson clearly can throw a football. Basically his thoughts were, you have all kind of film of him dominating top teams that you shouldn't get too cute or two worked up in the semantics of the film, where people tend to over analyze, etc.

I kind of do too...I just don't like the idea of taking guys who aren't projected to be disruptive that early. I want guys who get after the QB. Of course I said that about Floyd and had my doubts and look at how disruptive he was as a rookie (hopefully he takes another step forward next year).

That's what kind of interesting about this draft. The opinions are so divisive. And that's on virtually every possible player with the exception of Myles Garrett. I happen to think Jonathan Allen could be a crazy disruptive force for the Bears. With Hicks and Goldman on the DL, and an explosive OLB on his outside shoulder, Allen is virtually guaranteed a one-on-one situation on the majority of snaps. I think he wins that battle most of the time. He also has the ability to stretch plays out, extending laterally for sweeps.

The more I think of it, if someone put a gun to my head and said we couldn't trade down and we weren't drafting a QB, I'm going safety. Hooker would be that guy for me.

Heard an interesting interview from someone (not sure who it was) earlier today talking about Deshaun Watson and he basically said, if he were running the front office, Watson would be the first guy taken. Said you shouldn't get cute with QB. You can say everything you want about Watson, but in the biggest games in college football, he went against the closest thing to an NFL defense (in college) and dominated both games (only one was a victory). Said the guy is unphazed and just has a special knack for big stages, etc.

Of course, I suppose people could have said that about Tim Tebow too...although Watson clearly can throw a football. Basically his thoughts were, you have all kind of film of him dominating top teams that you shouldn't get too cute or two worked up in the semantics of the film, where people tend to over analyze, etc.

I agree about the Watson thoughts. I don't want a QB in RD1. My want list is Garrett, Allen, Hooker, in that order. If the Bears were trying to make a big move, however, Watson has been pretty damn amazing against the best level of competition possible over the last two years. Two straight championship games. Both against what amounts to a NFL defense with 11 rookies. And he exploded in both games. I could see the argument for why he'd be difficult to pass up.

That's what kind of interesting about this draft. The opinions are so divisive. And that's on virtually every possible player with the exception of Myles Garrett. I happen to think Jonathan Allen could be a crazy disruptive force for the Bears. With Hicks and Goldman on the DL, and an explosive OLB on his outside shoulder, Allen is virtually guaranteed a one-on-one situation on the majority of snaps. I think he wins that battle most of the time. He also has the ability to stretch plays out, extending laterally for sweeps.

I agree about the Watson thoughts. I don't want a QB in RD1. My want list is Garrett, Allen, Hooker, in that order. If the Bears were trying to make a big move, however, Watson has been pretty damn amazing against the best level of competition possible over the last two years. Two straight championship games. Both against what amounts to a NFL defense with 11 rookies. And he exploded in both games. I could see the argument for why he'd be difficult to pass up.

I would hope for the best if we did draft Watson, but also dont want a QB with the first round.

Donald had dominating stats in college, Thomas does not. I think he is a riskier choice than Allen. Pff rated Allen the top rated DL in the draft. Thomas looks to be a good player but he is also 20 lbs less than ends up mattering at the NFL level. He has already added lots of weight during his college career , not sure his body will take another 20 to 30 lbs to endure the riggers of the bigger players at the upper level.

That's true, we're basically watching one year of play, a season during which Thomas improved quite a bit IMO. It's the old ceiling/floor debate. Allen is more of a sure thing. Thomas though fits more of a 5-T, or 4-3 LDE who can slide inside sometimes. He's more of the mold of Pernell McPhee. Allen is probably more of a 3-T, 5-T although he's mobile enough to step out to DE. Both are versatile players.