Free agent options

Stinger226

Seen a article that made many suggests on areas of need.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693107...ee-agent-market

They talk about J Gersham as a TE. I only see this happening if they feel other positions are more needy in the draft.

So we would have Miller, but cant expect him to play everyday. Daniel Brown shows some development. Braunbacker still to develop.

So if we add Gersham at 28 , he is a very good blocker and still have receiving skills. He wont be very expensive so I see it as a viable option.

Remember we tried to sign him last year but went back to Arz riding a big year which they didnt have this year.

Another interesting option is Mario Addison, he could be a rotation player and allow Bullard time to develop.

Last year he only started one game and still had 9 and 1/2 sacks-1 PD-1 S-2 FFs-27 Ts.

He is 29 but could be a bridge to Bullard getting more time to develop.

It would be nice to grab Ingram and have shared time with McPhee and Floyd.

Chandler will be tagged as stated by their coach. Ingram may be available and would be worth a big contract.

Ingram only had 8 sacks but had 72 QB pressures, which is so far ahead of everybody else.

The Chargers have 20 mil to work with and Ingram will get 14 mil, it tiies them down.

There are plenty of CBs out there and we will absolutely get one.

I prefer Bouye or Gilmore but many fill that bill.

Many Ss to choose from-the prize will be Berry but doubt KC lets him go, which leaves Poe available to grab to help DL

I would like to see us get Jefferson or Cyprien, both are young and excellent SSs.

Seen a article that made many suggests on areas of need.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693107...ee-agent-market

They talk about J Gersham as a TE. I only see this happening if they feel other positions are more needy in the draft.

So we would have Miller, but cant expect him to play everyday. Daniel Brown shows some development. Braunbacker still to develop.

So if we add Gersham at 28 , he is a very good blocker and still have receiving skills. He wont be very expensive so I see it as a viable option.

Remember we tried to sign him last year but went back to Arz riding a big year which they didnt have this year.

Another interesting option is Mario Addison, he could be a rotation player and allow Bullard time to develop.

Last year he only started one game and still had 9 and 1/2 sacks-1 PD-1 S-2 FFs-27 Ts.

He is 29 but could be a bridge to Bullard getting more time to develop.

It would be nice to grab Ingram and have shared time with McPhee and Floyd.

Chandler will be tagged as stated by their coach. Ingram may be available and would be worth a big contract.

Ingram only had 8 sacks but had 72 QB pressures, which is so far ahead of everybody else.

The Chargers have 20 mil to work with and Ingram will get 14 mil, it tiies them down.

There are plenty of CBs out there and we will absolutely get one.

I prefer Bouye or Gilmore but many fill that bill.

Many Ss to choose from-the prize will be Berry but doubt KC lets him go, which leaves Poe available to grab to help DL

I would like to see us get Jefferson or Cyprien, both are young and excellent SSs.

The more I think about what is best for this team 3 years down the road, the more I wave goodbye to Alshon Jeffrey. I think Pace plays the numbers game and will continue to spread his money out across the board, with one exception (CB). With this limited FA WR market and tons of cap space opening up, Jeffrey is going to get a huge deal, probably around $14-15mil/yr. That deal should not be matched. Nor should we tag him again.

Walking away from Jeffrey might seem risky but I've seen far too many missed games for injury, and far too many games where he's not 100% and can't make those great leaping catches. Take that money and use it to sign 2 or 3 FAs. We can sign Robert Woods who has been in WR purgatory in Buffalo. He's 24/25 years old and entering his prime, which fits what Pace wants in his FA. He's been productive despite this:

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/09/b...e-agency-looms/

"The former second-round pick from the 2013 NFL draft has spent the last four seasons in Buffalo catching passes from the likes of EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel, Thad Lewis, Kyle Orton and Tyrod Taylor."

While he might not have the catch radius Jeffrey has he also has more quickness in his routes. His deal will be perhaps half of what Jeffrey will get and with significantly less guaranteed money. Put him in the mix with Meredith, White, and draft a good prospect in Rd 3 and we'll have some good depth. We don't have a QB that will make Woods want to sign here so we'll over pay a bit to get his deal done. OTOH Woods will know that with 3 different QBs last year Cam Meredith put up 888yds so it is in the offense to throw the ball. Meredith can work out of the slot position if there are concerns about where Woods fits.

---

TE: I think we like Brown and keep him around with Miller. Signing a guy like Gresham likely would happen late in FA because of the quality and depth in the draft. Any deal Gresham gets would likely have little guaranteed money so if we draft a player who ends up better, we cut Gresham. Or Miller gets injured. With a TE draft like this it's likely we'll see a couple other vets cut after the draft or in preseason so we can be patient here IMO.

---

CB is where I think the big FA contract ends up. Between Porter getting old and Fuller getting scared to play we need a cornerstone of some sorts on one side of the field. It's going to be very expensive but we saved money by letting Jeffrey walk and we'll save more waving goodbye to Cutler. Rumor now is that Bouye will be available and he fits what Fangio wants in a CB.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article...ts-10858438.php

---

DT/DE I think we should do an extension with Hicks and re-sign Washington. Then wait for 2nd tier FA to see what help we can add. Mario Addison is more of a 4-3 DE and I don't think he fits out scheme. If you go way down that list there is a guy William Gholston who is 6'7" and has the frame and quickness that fits 3-4 DE. He does not have the ideal strength and moving from 4-3 DE to the interior is a risk but the potential is there IMO. Jonathan Hankins who is more NT run stuffer might be a good 2nd tier FA as well, and we could kick Goldman out to DE on run downs.

---

OLB I'd love to sign Melvin Ingram but he might get $15mil/yr. I'm not sure we'll go there but we could easily find the cap space by cutting Houston and McPhee. If McPhee is going to be a part time player he might renegotiate his deal and in that case it would be great to keep him around.

---

FS I think SS is ok with Amos but I don't see us putting big money into this position. Help will come via the draft. If its a question of do we throw big money at Ingram and have no money for a FA Safety; I'd still take Ingram.

What did I spend? Per Spotrac

$11mil for Bouye

$17mil for Ingram (I think he won't get that but I'll use it).

$6-8mil for Hankins

$8mil for Woods.

Total $44mil

We have $58mil in space now. With Cutler gone we have $72mil. $28mil minus perhaps $10mil for rookie pool leaves $18mil. That should fit in the extension for Hicks, re-sign Washington, and add other FAs to fill out the roster. We still have to sign a QB figure Hoyer will cost $5mil.

Cutting McPhee/Houston adds another $13mil in cap space if we want to add another top tier FA.

The more I think about what is best for this team 3 years down the road, the more I wave goodbye to Alshon Jeffrey. I think Pace plays the numbers game and will continue to spread his money out across the board, with one exception (CB). With this limited FA WR market and tons of cap space opening up, Jeffrey is going to get a huge deal, probably around $14-15mil/yr. That deal should not be matched. Nor should we tag him again.

Walking away from Jeffrey might seem risky but I've seen far too many missed games for injury, and far too many games where he's not 100% and can't make those great leaping catches. Take that money and use it to sign 2 or 3 FAs. We can sign Robert Woods who has been in WR purgatory in Buffalo. He's 24/25 years old and entering his prime, which fits what Pace wants in his FA. He's been productive despite this:

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/09/b...e-agency-looms/

"The former second-round pick from the 2013 NFL draft has spent the last four seasons in Buffalo catching passes from the likes of EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel, Thad Lewis, Kyle Orton and Tyrod Taylor."

While he might not have the catch radius Jeffrey has he also has more quickness in his routes. His deal will be perhaps half of what Jeffrey will get and with significantly less guaranteed money. Put him in the mix with Meredith, White, and draft a good prospect in Rd 3 and we'll have some good depth. We don't have a QB that will make Woods want to sign here so we'll over pay a bit to get his deal done. OTOH Woods will know that with 3 different QBs last year Cam Meredith put up 888yds so it is in the offense to throw the ball. Meredith can work out of the slot position if there are concerns about where Woods fits.

---

TE: I think we like Brown and keep him around with Miller. Signing a guy like Gresham likely would happen late in FA because of the quality and depth in the draft. Any deal Gresham gets would likely have little guaranteed money so if we draft a player who ends up better, we cut Gresham. Or Miller gets injured. With a TE draft like this it's likely we'll see a couple other vets cut after the draft or in preseason so we can be patient here IMO.

---

CB is where I think the big FA contract ends up. Between Porter getting old and Fuller getting scared to play we need a cornerstone of some sorts on one side of the field. It's going to be very expensive but we saved money by letting Jeffrey walk and we'll save more waving goodbye to Cutler. Rumor now is that Bouye will be available and he fits what Fangio wants in a CB.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article...ts-10858438.php

---

DT/DE I think we should do an extension with Hicks and re-sign Washington. Then wait for 2nd tier FA to see what help we can add. Mario Addison is more of a 4-3 DE and I don't think he fits out scheme. If you go way down that list there is a guy William Gholston who is 6'7" and has the frame and quickness that fits 3-4 DE. He does not have the ideal strength and moving from 4-3 DE to the interior is a risk but the potential is there IMO. Jonathan Hankins who is more NT run stuffer might be a good 2nd tier FA as well, and we could kick Goldman out to DE on run downs.

---

OLB I'd love to sign Melvin Ingram but he might get $15mil/yr. I'm not sure we'll go there but we could easily find the cap space by cutting Houston and McPhee. If McPhee is going to be a part time player he might renegotiate his deal and in that case it would be great to keep him around.

---

FS I think SS is ok with Amos but I don't see us putting big money into this position. Help will come via the draft. If its a question of do we throw big money at Ingram and have no money for a FA Safety; I'd still take Ingram.

What did I spend? Per Spotrac

$11mil for Bouye

$17mil for Ingram (I think he won't get that but I'll use it).

$6-8mil for Hankins

$8mil for Woods.

Total $44mil

We have $58mil in space now. With Cutler gone we have $72mil. $28mil minus perhaps $10mil for rookie pool leaves $18mil. That should fit in the extension for Hicks, re-sign Washington, and add other FAs to fill out the roster. We still have to sign a QB figure Hoyer will cost $5mil.

Cutting McPhee/Houston adds another $13mil in cap space if we want to add another top tier FA.

I like everything you had to say, If I think we sign Ingram then if McPhee doesnt take less money in a backup role , cut him to.

I prefer Gilmore than Bouye, he is more of a playmaker

Cut McPhee?!?!

He may be the best player on D!

His knee surgery kept him out of most of the season and when he returned he was a part time player who was not nearly as effective as he was early in 2015. If he can return to form then absolutely I want him on the team. Reality is that he might never get back to that level of play and he may never be able to handle the number of plays expected of a starter.

Cut McPhee?!?!

He may be the best player on D!

The Bears are loaded with available cap space and deficient on talent, I don't see them cutting many players other than Royal and maybe Houston. Cutting those two opens even more holes to be filled, so the Bears may hold back until they find replacements. I think Cutler is held onto for possible trade commodity even if it is minimal.

The Bears are loaded with available cap space and deficient on talent, I don't see them cutting many players other than Royal and maybe Houston. Cutting those two opens even more holes to be filled, so the Bears may hold back until they find replacements. I think Cutler is held onto for possible trade commodity even if it is minimal.

I'm not saying we should cut McPhee but if that is what we needed to do in order to sign Ingram I'd do it.

I'm not saying we should cut McPhee but if that is what we needed to do in order to sign Ingram I'd do it.

I think if we spent the money on Ingram, that he would start ahead of McPhee and if McPhee takes a pay cut, we should keep him as a rotational player.

Ingram is the real deal, and has stayed healthy, so because of McPhees injury history, easily take Ingram over McPhee.

Also I seen where Jared Olick was cut by Jack. , would be a rotational player.

Your thoughts.

Is it possible the Bears keep Houston and McPhee? Before they got injured last year, they both looked pretty good. Houston led the team in sacks in 2015, and there aren't many who think other than McPhee being the best overall defender on the team in 2015. I'm perfectly alright with an OLB rotation of Young, Houston, McPhee, and Floyd. If healthy, that is a bunch that will get consistent pressure and cause problems for opposing offenses.

Is it possible the Bears keep Houston and McPhee? Before they got injured last year, they both looked pretty good. Houston led the team in sacks in 2015, and there aren't many who think other than McPhee being the best overall defender on the team in 2015. I'm perfectly alright with an OLB rotation of Young, Houston, McPhee, and Floyd. If healthy, that is a bunch that will get consistent pressure and cause problems for opposing offenses.

If healthy I would be ok with that, but Houston and McPhee havent been the last few years, we need one more stud in the mix and then pay them two less money and may be able to stay healthy with less snaps.

I forgot to add that I would like to sign FB Kyle Juszczyk. He'd be a great combination in the backfield with Howard. We have no QB (of note) to throw the ball so we need all the help we can get in the running game. He's very good in pass protection and can catch well out of the backfield so that takes some pressure off the TE situation. Lastly, he's a core special teams player for Baltimore and some more help there would be welcome as well. He'll be the highest paid FB in the league but we'll be among the lowest in QB salary in the league.

I forgot to add that I would like to sign FB Kyle Juszczyk. He'd be a great combination in the backfield with Howard. We have no QB (of note) to throw the ball so we need all the help we can get in the running game. He's very good in pass protection and can catch well out of the backfield so that takes some pressure off the TE situation. Lastly, he's a core special teams player for Baltimore and some more help there would be welcome as well. He'll be the highest paid FB in the league but we'll be among the lowest in QB salary in the league.

Why is this stuff so obvious to us fans, but not the brass? Easy move. Makes sense. Minimal cost. What's not to like?

And MadLith will be sure to like the name.

Why is this stuff so obvious to us fans, but not the brass? Easy move. Makes sense. Minimal cost. What's not to like?

And MadLith will be sure to like the name.

I spell his last name with no issues but ya' know, it's all in the (Polish) family.

I don't think he's coming here for $2mil/yr. Likely $3mi/yr, probably higher. I know he's a FB and the highest paid in the league is ~2mil/yr but he's got more versatility than that. He also helps take backup RB and backup TE off the needs list a bit even though I still expect us to address both positions this offseason. This guy is equally as good a football player as Zach Miller if not better. Pay him.

I spell his last name with no issues but ya' know, it's all in the (Polish) family.

I don't think he's coming here for $2mil/yr. Likely $3mi/yr, probably higher. I know he's a FB and the highest paid in the league is ~2mil/yr but he's got more versatility than that. He also helps take backup RB and backup TE off the needs list a bit even though I still expect us to address both positions this offseason. This guy is equally as good a football player as Zach Miller if not better. Pay him.

It all depends on what they think of Laske, and his development, I think Kyle would help a lot in many areas but they have so many areas of need, doubt if they think getting the best FB as a priority.

It all depends on what they think of Laske, and his development, I think Kyle would help a lot in many areas but they have so many areas of need, doubt if they think getting the best FB as a priority.

Lasike isn't even close to being in the same class. When you think if Juszczyk think more h-back than FB and we used Miller in the h-back role a lot.

In fact if he were officially in an h-back role he'd be talked about as one of the best FA TEs available.

The Jets just cut Nick Mangold. They are hurting for cap space so he was cut...would make a nice addition to our OLine

33 yrs old, just missed a bunch of games last year, and he plays C/G, which is literally the strength of the team (Long, Sitton, Whitehair), so I don't know if he would add anything at this point. Where would he play?

33 yrs old, just missed a bunch of games last year, and he plays C/G, which is literally the strength of the team (Long, Sitton, Whitehair), so I don't know if he would add anything at this point. Where would he play?

We will sign one FA CB this offseason.

Who do you want?

I think we should target Gilmore/Buf

He has been in the NFL for 5 years, has 14 int-62 PDs-4 FF

At 6-1 he has the size we look for and has good speed, 4.4

We will sign one FA CB this offseason.

Who do you want?

I think we should target Gilmore/Buf

He has been in the NFL for 5 years, has 14 int-62 PDs-4 FF

At 6-1 he has the size we look for and has good speed, 4.4

I like his production and size the best. I have high hopes on Deandre Hall who we drafted last year also to push for playing time too, which can lessen the high need to find a draft pick. Porter and Gilmore outside, LeBlanc/Callahan nickel. Fuller/Hall pushing Porter. If a stud falls in the draft, it would be a luxury. It comes down how healthy Fuller and Hall are and if Fuller has the heart to compete.

I like his production and size the best. I have high hopes on Deandre Hall who we drafted last year also to push for playing time too, which can lessen the high need to find a draft pick. Porter and Gilmore outside, LeBlanc/Callahan nickel. Fuller/Hall pushing Porter. If a stud falls in the draft, it would be a luxury. It comes down how healthy Fuller and Hall are and if Fuller has the heart to compete.

Berry gone signed.

Franchise tags:

Ingram

Cousins

Short

Jason P P

Chandler Jones

Berry gone signed.

Franchise tags:

Ingram

Cousins

Short

Jason P P

Chandler Jones

There goes 3 or 4 off of the wish list. Bad teams are not getting any breaks it seems. The NFL raised the cap, helping good teams keep good players. They award compensation draft picks to them if they lose a good player(s). They give bad teams high draft picks at least which some may use to trade for good teams back up players. Smh, seems like we are hosed for a while.