What to do if you're Pace & Fox

jason

Choose your approach  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What to do if you're Pace & Fox

• Ensure a contract extension and try to win this year
    • Show your vision and build for the future

There seems to be an uncertainty about the Bears this offseason. I personally like it. Nobody knows what to expect.

A big hint, however, would be knowing what the front office feels about Pace & Fox. If they love the pair, then they're safe and have time to develop players. If they're uncertain about the pair, then Pace & Fox need to make things happen this year.

So put yourself in the shoes of Pace and Fox. Assume you don't know if your job is in trouble. What do you do?

For the record, if I'm them, I try to win now. Better GMs and coaches have been fired. If I were them I'd avoid the QB early, go defense in the first three rounds, sign a big-name FA on Defense, and pick a QB with one of the extra 4th round picks. I'm still a huge Chad Kelly fan, who Mayock thinks is at least a 2nd round value. That would set up the Bears for a .500 or better season, and there would be a QB waiting in the wings.

For the record, if I'm them, I try to win now. Better GMs and coaches have been fired. If I were them I'd avoid the QB early, go defense in the first three rounds, sign a big-name FA on Defense, and pick a QB with one of the extra 4th round picks. I'm still a huge Chad Kelly fan, who Mayock thinks is at least a 2nd round value. That would set up the Bears for a .500 or better season, and there would be a QB waiting in the wings.

i would have no problem with that, but hard to say if that translates into 8-8.

There seems to be an uncertainty about the Bears this offseason. I personally like it. Nobody knows what to expect.

A big hint, however, would be knowing what the front office feels about Pace & Fox. If they love the pair, then they're safe and have time to develop players. If they're uncertain about the pair, then Pace & Fox need to make things happen this year.

So put yourself in the shoes of Pace and Fox. Assume you don't know if your job is in trouble. What do you do?

I would hope they want to win now. I could end it there but started to think about how it was John Fox did it before. That is, how did he transform 1, 2, 3 win teams into super bowl contenders in the past? What was the common thread? Was there one? Oddly enough...there was. Looking at the Venn Diagram that is John Fox and a Super Bowl formula I noticed that each time he made a significant push for the Super Bowl he had changed Qbs from previous seasons. Not only that but it seemed they were retread QBs or backups in each instance. In Denver we know that Peyton probably had a lot to do with the teams turnaround, at least on the offense. But when he was with Carolina going in he had Rodney Peete who played ok the year before but in year two Fox decided to go with Jake Delhomme who until 2003 had been with New Orleans and been primarily a backup. We all recall what happened later that year with Delhomme as QB.

I'm too lazy to see what was going on with his defenses in both Carolina and Denver but suffice to say both were pretty damn good. It would probably matter HOW the defenses got so good in both instances to make more sense of it. Did he build it through a draft or two like he's appearing to do in Chicago or just coach up what he had?

Based on all that I suspect we'll see a QB like McCarron or *gulp* Garrapolo this year (and still maybe a QB drafted in later rounds as insurance) but suspect *gulp* Jason and others are right when they speculate he'll draft early and often for defense.

If you want to win a Super Bowl, you generally need to have a franchise QB. There don't even seem to be 20 of those in the league at any given time.

Drafting a QB in the low rounds and giving them time to develop does not usually result in anything like hitting on a first rounder.

Choosing QBs is difficult, but the question you're really asking here is, go 9-7 to save your job, or make moves to TRY to win a Super Bowl some day? I would hope that Fox and Pace wouldn''t sell out that dream for a couple year's salary.

I think they do what they can to build a winner as fast as possible, but not a hollow one, not one that can never reach the summit. I dont see them selling out, and I think if they draft well, including a first round QB if they think there is one worth it, that they will have enough horsepower to go 8-8 or better next year anyway. I dont think they will see these are distinct options, but instead will do some of both.

But if there is a QB you like, you take him. If you see a franchise QB that can lead you to the Super Bowl, but you think other GMs won't take him until the 18th pick, you can try to trade down etc, but if he's your guy, you can take him with the 3rd overall pick.

Im not saying they will do that. They might take a stud at another position with the 3rd pick, but it will be because they think that is the best move toward winning a Super Bowl, and not just to save their butts.

I dont think their butts are on the line this year anyway. Not Pace at least, and that's what really matters to this question anyway.

I'm going vision...

It's really more what I want, and that is lay out the long term goal. Plus, I'm not all that certain they can win now regardless... If you tell me you're building and we see signs, I'm happy. If you tell me we are all in right now and don't come close to that...then it's a fail.

If you want to win a Super Bowl, you generally need to have a franchise QB. There don't even seem to be 20 of those in the league at any given time.

Drafting a QB in the low rounds and giving them time to develop does not usually result in anything like hitting on a first rounder.

Choosing QBs is difficult, but the question you're really asking here is, go 9-7 to save your job, or make moves to TRY to win a Super Bowl some day? I would hope that Fox and Pace wouldn''t sell out that dream for a couple year's salary.

I think they do what they can to build a winner as fast as possible, but not a hollow one, not one that can never reach the summit. I dont see them selling out, and I think if they draft well, including a first round QB if they think there is one worth it, that they will have enough horsepower to go 8-8 or better next year anyway. I dont think they will see these are distinct options, but instead will do some of both.

But if there is a QB you like, you take him. If you see a franchise QB that can lead you to the Super Bowl, but you think other GMs won't take him until the 18th pick, you can try to trade down etc, but if he's your guy, you can take him with the 3rd overall pick.

Im not saying they will do that. They might take a stud at another position with the 3rd pick, but it will be because they think that is the best move toward winning a Super Bowl, and not just to save their butts.

I dont think their butts are on the line this year anyway. Not Pace at least, and that's what really matters to this question anyway.

The bolded part is definitely what I'm asking.

Drafting a rookie QB would mean they're building for the franchise future, but likely a losing record in 2017 and a potential firing.

Drafting a different player would likely mean they're at least thinking about their own future, and the team's record in 2017.

Don't be a pussy and build your team!

Screw it, this is the Bears. Let's go D, beat the holy crap out of everyone on our schedule. Just like we did in '85. Get a QB that doesn't give the rock away and the let Howard roll.

Don't be a pussy and build your team!

But imagine yourself in their position. You did poorly at your job last year, or at least the results say that. You know that immediate improvement is possible, and will likely get you an extension, but may not be best for the company overall.

Self-preservation is not being a pussy.

Screw it, this is the Bears. Let's go D, beat the holy crap out of everyone on our schedule. Just like we did in '85. Get a QB that doesn't give the rock away and the let Howard roll.

That's exactly what I want in every single way.

I voted to build for the future vision. However, that and winning now don't have to be mutually exclusive. Given the cap space and strength of this draft it is quite possible to build a very good to dominate defense. We know from history that can take you a long way. More teams win the Superbowl with a dominant defense than a dominant offense.

Sign Calais Campbell, draft Solomon Thomas. Dline is done. ($13mil?) Hankins as a backup signing ($8mil)

Double dip on FA CBs (Gilmore, Logan Ryan) then find a safety in Rd 3. ($18-20mil)

Maybe we can find a 3rd tier FA ILB to help ILB depth until Trevathan is ready to go. ($1-2mil)

Sign FA WR Woods (2nd tier) and draft a WR in Rd 2 and we'll have some depth. ($6-8mil)

Sign FB Juszczyk and use 4th Rd pick to draft a RB. ($4mil) Yes, we will have a successful running game no matter what.

4th Rd draft Kelly or Peterman. QB to groom

5th Rd TE might still be a good backup prospect especially one who is more of a blocker ....which we need to run the ball!

6th Rd trade Kyle Fuller for this pick and take BPA

Give Hoyer some ridiculous money to stay ($5-7mil)

We have cap space right now of $51mil. I spent $54mil. Cutting Cutler frees up $12mil, cut Houston/Royal and it's $10mil more for total space of $73mil. Cut Sutton/McManis add $3mil for $76mil total.

If we find a good OT who can backup/challenge to start cut Houston/Royal and sign him for $6-8mil. Now we've spent $62mil. We have $14mil for rookie pool, a couple FAs to fill out depth chart and keep some space for in-season injuries.

In 2018 your draft is largely focused on QB and really BPA thereafter.