WOW

mondonico

1. 67 Year old Bear fan born on the south side, raised in Rockford, move to the west coast 30 years ago. I have bitched and griped about the lack of any Bear coverage since the 85 Super Bowl years. Turn on any sports talk or anything to do with the NFL and your lucky to even get a recap of games during the season. The best way of course to change that is start winning again. But since the draft every time I turn on any sports programing talking about the NFL DaBears are topic A. It's nice to at least get some info on the Bears other than sites that are Bear related. So for at least the rest of this week I finally get my fill of Bear talk on a national level. I guess any press is good press when you don't live in the Chicago area.

2. If any of these 5 picks become more than just average NFL players, maybe a pro bowl or two, real playmaker type players, not only will that be great but Pace may then be thought of as one of the better GM's.

3. How nice it would be to see half a dozen or more national games on our sched. and not be fearful of getting creamed on the two or three we may get now.

I think pace has made some good moves since he has been here given what he started with. I kinda understand his plan, but this draft just seems to be so out there and dependent on a QB viewed by so many to not be that guy. And on other picks, that while they did dominate at their level while in college, they must now jump up two levels.

:dabears

1. 67 Year old Bear fan born on the south side, raised in Rockford, move to the west coast 30 years ago. I have bitched and griped about the lack of any Bear coverage since the 85 Super Bowl years. Turn on any sports talk or anything to do with the NFL and your lucky to even get a recap of games during the season. The best way of course to change that is start winning again. But since the draft every time I turn on any sports programing talking about the NFL DaBears are topic A. It's nice to at least get some info on the Bears other than sites that are Bear related. So for at least the rest of this week I finally get my fill of Bear talk on a national level. I guess any press is good press when you don't live in the Chicago area.

2. If any of these 5 picks become more than just average NFL players, maybe a pro bowl or two, real playmaker type players, not only will that be great but Pace may then be thought of as one of the better GM's.

3. How nice it would be to see half a dozen or more national games on our sched. and not be fearful of getting creamed on the two or three we may get now.

I think pace has made some good moves since he has been here given what he started with. I kinda understand his plan, but this draft just seems to be so out there and dependent on a QB viewed by so many to not be that guy. And on other picks, that while they did dominate at their level while in college, they must now jump up two levels.

That's the main problem many see with the draft.

Trubisky might be awesome, but nobody really knows because he only played a year.

Shaheen might be awesome, but nobody really knows because he trounced scrubs at the DII level.

Cohen might be awesome, but nobody really knows because he was running wild through weak SWAC defenses.

Morgan: see Shaheen.

If Trubisky doesn't pan out as a multi-year starter and pro-bowler, it's a bad draft.

Trubisky might be awesome, but nobody really knows because he only played a year.

Shaheen might be awesome, but nobody really knows because he trounced scrubs at the DII level.

Cohen might be awesome, but nobody really knows because he was running wild through weak SWAC defenses.

If Trubisky doesn't pan out as a multi-year starter and pro-bowler, it's a bad draft.

Agreed.

Peace :dabears

That helps bring back off the ledge since you put it in that perspective and at 57 you made me feel a little younger and less abused as a Bear fan!

That helps bring back off the ledge since you put it in that perspective and at 57 you made me feel a little younger and less abused as a Bear fan!

Sad we are talking about how many years they have abused us. Let's hope when I turn 57 we aren't still talking about this lol

Absolutely dead on. Pace is betting on himself here with​ this draft​

Absolutely dead on. Pace is betting on himself here with​ this draft​

Yeah he is and once my middle aged wisdom kicked in I saw it! My problem like a few of us is that I sit at this keyboard and play scout/gm all season long and need to realize that my butt is not on the line.

Yeah he is and once my middle aged wisdom kicked in I saw it! My problem like a few of us is that I sit at this keyboard and play scout/gm all season long and need to realize that my butt is not on the line.

Excellent point. It's fun being armchair gm/scout/coach. Our position has a lifetime contract and guaranteed never to be fired even if we are wrong on everything for an entire decade lol

Thank you Jason for putting a fine point on my concerns. I'm willing to wait and give it the benefit of the doubt but the guarded optimist in me says 'same tune, different conductor'. Here's to unexpected success.

Thank you Jason for putting a fine point on my concerns. I'm willing to wait and give it the benefit of the doubt but the guarded optimist in me says 'same tune, different conductor'. Here's to unexpected success.

I think we are all concerned on the small school picks. Bill Polien was interviewed today and said if they check the boxes you shouldn't worry. The guys the Bears took did check the boxes (excelled against the level of competion, superior athlete) . The part we need to fear is if 2 or 3 develop into good players, then he will go back to that well often. Dallas got caught up in that process and it worked out good for them finding Romo along with many others.

Jason is right that this year will solely be successful with the good or bad of Mitchell T. The smaller school players leave a lot of questions but they do have traits that could make them high end players. The best thing we can do is wait and watch them to actually make a proper judgement.

Excellent point. It's fun being armchair gm/scout/coach. Our position has a lifetime contract and guaranteed never to be fired even if we are wrong on everything for an entire decade lol

That makes it even more baffling to me. With a job on the line, you'd think he would be more in favor of surer bets, guys with high floors. With a job on the line it's an entirely different draft. My job on the line, the draft would have been:

1-Jamal Adams

2-Zay Jones

3-Chris Wormley

4-David Sharpe

4-Julien Davenport

5-Nathan Peterman

7-Chad Kelly

That way I have two sure fire players, one likely starter, a hedged bet on OT and QB in hopes at least one of each pans out.

That makes it even more baffling to me. With a job on the line, you'd think he would be more in favor of surer bets, guys with high floors. With a job on the line it's an entirely different draft. My job on the line, the draft would have been:

1-Jamal Adams

2-Zay Jones

3-Chris Wormley

4-David Sharpe

4-Julien Davenport

5-Nathan Peterman

7-Chad Kelly

That way I have two sure fire players, one likely starter, a hedged bet on OT and WB in hopes at least one of each pans out.

I would have liked this better, but we only precise this would have been better. It will be interesting to look back in a couple of years and see how that would turned out, but as you stated, its all about the QB. If top 10 and we win alot of games, this will be the most important draft we had in years.

We also need to acknowledge the pressure of not taking a QB, the top rated in the draft per Bears board regardless if we think Pace needed to make the trade or not is a major factor here.

In all honesty, Pace is in the position of damned if he does and damned if he does not Draft a QB especially after moving on from Jay Cutler and signing an unproven veteran in the offseason.

Let's say Pace decided to play it safe and picked a defensive player and passed on the QB, the defensive player never lives up to his expectations and the QB turns out to be a perennial top 10 starter in the league for years but for another organization and potential NFC rival.

Remember Pace is a young GM and I think if this scenario played out he has lost a tremendous amount of credibility as being the top talent evaluator in the organization and would be harder to keep his job or get a new one especially when you factor in the paramount importance of having a talented QB who is both a winner and leader of men. If Mitch T. becomes an average QB at best then Pace can always say Trubisky had the best measurables, talent, and intangibles of all QB prospects in 2017 and our whole scouting department was on board with this assessment. Pace would obviously follow that point with something like, we all know that the draft is a gamble and given the position our franchise was in we needed to accept that and take the opportunity to draft a potential franchise QB which is always the catalyst to becoming a championship caliber team.

We also need to acknowledge the pressure of not taking a QB, the top rated in the draft per Bears board regardless if we think Pace needed to make the trade or not is a major factor here.

In all honesty, Pace is in the position of damned if he does and damned if he does not Draft a QB especially after moving on from Jay Cutler and signing an unproven veteran in the offseason.

Let's say Pace decided to play it safe and picked a defensive player and passed on the QB, the defensive player never lives up to his expectations and the QB turns out to be a perennial top 10 starter in the league for years but for another organization and potential NFC rival.

Remember Pace is a young GM and I think if this scenario played out he has lost a tremendous amount of credibility as being the top talent evaluator in the organization and would be harder to keep his job or get a new one especially when you factor in the paramount importance of having a talented QB who is both a winner and leader of men. If Mitch T. becomes an average QB at best then Pace can always say Trubisky had the best measurables, talent, and intangibles of all QB prospects in 2017 and our whole scouting department was on board with this assessment. Pace would obviously follow that point with something like, we all know that the draft is a gamble and given the position our franchise was in we needed to accept that and take the opportunity to draft a potential franchise QB which is always the catalyst to becoming a championship caliber team.

When it comes to taking a defensive player we all would have been much more comfortable about that player being developed because of Fox and Fangio plus Donatell who all have respected track records in the league. The same cannot be said for Loggins and Ragone on offense.

When it comes to taking a defensive player we all would have been much more comfortable about that player being developed because of Fox and Fangio plus Donatell who all have respected track records in the league. The same cannot be said for Loggins and Ragone on offense.

Very good point, and all the more reason for the team to draft heavy defense in a very deep defensive draft. Then those guys have a year under their belt when the team finds out if Glennon is good or not. If not, draft a QB high, because the record will be bad. If he's good, then the QB position is locked up and the rest of the team can be strengthened for a playoff push.

Very good point, and all the more reason for the team to draft heavy defense in a very deep defensive draft. Then those guys have a year under their belt when the team finds out if Glennon is good or not. If not, draft a QB high, because the record will be bad. If he's good, then the QB position is locked up and the rest of the team can be strengthened for a playoff push.

The problem I have with going that route is that we continue to kick the can further and further down the street. Keep saying if so and so doesn't pan out we will address next yr. Then next yr comes the problem is still there and we still don't address it. And we can't continue to throw mid to late round draft picks at the position Hoping​it sticks because for every Tom Brady you will find 20 guys or more who didn't even last 5 yrs in the league let alone ever start more than a handful of games. I do understand why ppl are upset and even I was on record as saying I wanted Allen or hooker this yr but even I have to applaud pace for giving it his all to finally fix a position that has been a hindrance since before many of us were even born

The problem I have with going that route is that we continue to kick the can further and further down the street. Keep saying if so and so doesn't pan out we will address next yr. Then next yr comes the problem is still there and we still don't address it. And we can't continue to throw mid to late round draft picks at the position Hoping​it sticks because for every Tom Brady you will find 20 guys or more who didn't even last 5 yrs in the league let alone ever start more than a handful of games. I do understand why ppl are upset and even I was on record as saying I wanted Allen or hooker this yr but even I have to applaud pace for giving it his all to finally fix a position that has been a hindrance since before many of us were even born

A good point having not addressed the QB position the last two years, he had to identify his guy just go get him.

While we are throwing things we realize out there.....One thing I've never seen brought up... While a lot of people poo poo on the fact we gave up a few mid rounders, saying they could have used those pics for defensive players, everybody seems to be completely dismissing last years mid rounders.

With a year under their belts, I don't see why Bullard, Hall, and Bush have been seemingly tossed by the wayside by the same fans upset about giving up picks where those guys were slotted.

While we are throwing things we realize out there.....One thing I've never seen brought up... While a lot of people poo poo on the fact we gave up a few mid rounders, saying they could have used those pics for defensive players, everybody seems to be completely dismissing last years mid rounders. With a year under their belts, I don't see why Bullard, Hall, and Bush have been seemingly tossed by the wayside by the same fans upset about giving up picks where those guys were slotted.

I pleaded a few times about not giving up on Bullard. He was graded higher than were we took him and has upside, he just wasn't ready. It takes some players a year to settle in. I also said we have an abundance of young DB's and didn't see the Bears drafting there either. The draft went pretty close to the way I projected, but with more picks.