Matt Nagy

bowlingtwig

Somebody on the score today was talking about how the hiring made perfect sense because Nagy is almost a spitting image of pace. Both are inexperienced young and many think up and coming. And this lines up perfectly with trubisky who is also young and up and coming

It is interesting because the Bears went outside the box when they brought in Pace. Now the young GM is bringing in his young HC who is relatively inexperienced calling plays, one year after we traded up to draft a young relatively inexperienced QB at #2 overall. In my decades as a fan we're in uncharted waters. There is no safe route now. Either we are built for success the next 10-15 years or it will all go down in flames. I love it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some cool stories about Nagy from earlier this year, former Delaware QB that still holds some school records:

http://lancasteronline.com/sports/football...459618301e.html

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/05/27/chie...nfl-head-coach/

Brad Childress on Nagy: “He’s played the quarterback position, so he gets it,” Childress said Thursday about Nagy via quotes from the Chiefs. “He knows how to teach. He’s got a great demeanor about him. He’s got a creative mind. I think he’s got everything going for him. He’s a future head coach in this league.”

From Adam Caplan (NFL.com): "Andy Reid told me that Matt Nagy is the best head-coaching candidate he's ever had," Caplan said. "He told me that at the owner's meetings. I just happened to ask him who some candidates are on his roster of coaches and he loves Matt Nagy, who he had in Philly."

From KC beat writer: "Anyway, Bears fans, nothing is certain in the NFL, but I think Nagy, because of his personality and playcalling knack, is one of the best head coaching candidates Reid has had in Kansas City (better than the Eagles’ Doug Pederson), and I think your team made a good hire. Take that for it’s worth."

It is interesting because the Bears went outside the box when they brought in Pace. Now the young GM is bringing in his young HC who is relatively inexperienced calling plays, one year after we traded up to draft a young relatively inexperienced QB at #2 overall. In my decades as a fan we're in uncharted waters. There is no safe route now. Either we are built for success the next 10-15 years or it will all go down in flames. I love it.

I’m not quite sure what to make out of all of it but one thing is for certain; Virgina and company are going outside their comfort zone with Pace, Trubisky and now Nagy. Although burned by thinking outside the box a few years ago with Trestman, you gotta admire the oldest Franchise for trying to spice things up a bit.

Exactly.

Here is a link to a rather long article but very informative, basically giving a lot of information on Nagy's past. I found some of it very interesting, some a bit boring, but in the end was happy I took time to read it as I feel I have a better understanding of him on the personal side. This guy absolutely lives and breathes football.

The Six Conversations That Changed Matt Nagy's Life

Here is a link to a rather long article but very informative, basically giving a lot of information on Nagy's past. I found some of it very interesting, some a bit boring, but in the end was happy I took time to read it as I feel I have a better understanding of him on the personal side. This guy absolutely lives and breathes football.

The Six Conversations That Changed Matt Nagy's Life

Good find. I love his back story of risking everything like that. I love risk takers that are all in because when they take a risk they give 110% to ensure they succeed and when they do they pay out of massive. Hoping for the best here with both the HC and GM big risk takers

Nagy had a great press conference. The tone was so different than it was for Trestman and Fox. Compared to Fox, Trestman, and to an extent Lovie, Nagy is going to be a breath of fresh air. He is really passionate about the job and I love the fact that he played QB.

Some interesting quotes from Brad Childress on Nagy's decision to coach the Bears. Indy never made him an offer but by the way Nagy spoke about his conversation with Ballard you get the sense he was in strong contention for their job too.

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colt...ears-than-colts

It will be interesting to see how this works out for the two franchises over the next few years.

Meanwhile Josh McDaniels is still on the clock and Indy is expanding their search to included Steve Wilks and just interviewed the HC from Baylor.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/c...ort/1022932001/

....and I might have been wrong. Matt Patricia might be headed to the NY Giants but it still seems clear he's the top candidate the Lions want to hire. Of course he could be using the Giants to ratchet up the offer from the Lions.

This process has been refreshingly different. For those of us long time Bears fans you hit the nail on the head. I like how aggressive Pace was here. This and last years draft move to trade up to get his guy. I think we're starting to see Pace's style developing these past years into what kind of GM he is and will be. Contrast this to 3 years ago when Fox is brought in. That search involved a drawn out process including bringing in a consultant to help hire a head coach. It feels more like us getting Fox here was a situational coincidence that Fox became available as we were looking to fill a HC vacancy. It was the "safe" hire to pair a vet coach with a first time GM. Pace's style is starting to become clearer, he is a guy who sees what he wants and goes after it. He had conviction about Trubisky and he did what he felt he needed to do to to ensure he got his guy. After a trimmed down targeted list of guys to interview Pace needed just one round of interviews to have conviction about Nagy, and he didn't waste Nagy's time or anyone else's and made the move to get him. The more I read and hear about Nagy, the more I'm on board with this hire. Nagy comes across as a well spoken, humble, enthusiastic up and coming coach. He and Pace seem to be cut out of the same cloth. Could be the start of long term stability that has been such a foreign concept to us Bears fans. Add Trubisky into that situation and if he reaches his potential we could be looking at the start of the future of the Bears. We've waited a long time to see this franchise returned to it's rightful place among the best in the NFL. Time will tell but I'm certainly optimistic.

This process has been refreshingly different. For those of us long time Bears fans you hit the nail on the head. I like how aggressive Pace was here. This and last years draft move to trade up to get his guy. I think we're starting to see Pace's style developing these past years into what kind of GM he is and will be. Contrast this to 3 years ago when Fox is brought in. That search involved a drawn out process including bringing in a consultant to help hire a head coach. It feels more like us getting Fox here was a situational coincidence that Fox became available as we were looking to fill a HC vacancy. It was the "safe" hire to pair a vet coach with a first time GM. Pace's style is starting to become clearer, he is a guy who sees what he wants and goes after it. He had conviction about Trubisky and he did what he felt he needed to do to to ensure he got his guy. After a trimmed down targeted list of guys to interview Pace needed just one round of interviews to have conviction about Nagy, and he didn't waste Nagy's time or anyone else's and made the move to get him. The more I read and hear about Nagy, the more I'm on board with this hire. Nagy comes across as a well spoken, humble, enthusiastic up and coming coach. He and Pace seem to be cut out of the same cloth. Could be the start of long term stability that has been such a foreign concept to us Bears fans. Add Trubisky into that situation and if he reaches his potential we could be looking at the start of the future of the Bears. We've waited a long time to see this franchise returned to it's rightful place among the best in the NFL. Time will tell but I'm certainly optimistic.

I really am getting excited to. For 1st time in a long time but HC and GM are on similar styles it seems. And as much as I like nagy I really love the staff he is putting together. And it's been just offensive coaches he is bringing it. Something is making me think he is doing this quickly and then go to Fangio and tell him if you return you can have the say in who you want for his side of ball. Giving him full run of things there. Personally I think Fangio has earned that much in his career. Give him a pay increase, asst HC and full latitude to bring in his guys